Closed headset recommandation - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 03-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio Technica MSR7
Beyerdynamic t51
Bose QC35 II
Audeze LCD-XC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Don't disregard the 1More over-ear, i owned them for a while and still enjoy them for hours on end... comfort never was an issue for me.
For about 200$ they have an awesome wide sound stage (good for movies) with deep bass and sweet highs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
ATH-m50x there seem to be varying opinions about the sound quality of this headset.

So far i've looked at:
Meze 99 Classics
1More Triple Driver Over-Ear, those seem to be in between circumaural and supraaural, some complaints about comfort.
Beyer DT 770 PRO 80 ohm - but these seem to be more analytical?

Came across a pair of headphones i've disregarded due to it's design, the V moda m 100. They seem to be sold as Noise - Isolating, however I can see a vent, so that would make them semi open?
post #33 of 48 Old 03-04-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
@2WheelsWillTravel Many mediocre products have good ratings (i.e. beats), it's because the average consumer does not come into contact with quality products. And when they do they are amazed, compared to their $10 generic headsets.

@ZwartePiet The way people enjoy audio is subjective. I personally do not like flat sounding cans, I prefer a fun colored headphone.
Eq adjustments can only go so far, the HD350 Pro's do not sound warm no matter the settings. What could help here is an external solution amp/+dac, but i'm not there yet.

[email protected] My budget is $300 for the cans. I have found a store that has the Meze 99 Classics and the ATH-m50x available for listening sessions, will give that a try.
If you've got any flexability in that $300 budget I've got first-hand experience with Fostex TR-X00's (from Massdrop) for about $420, and other than the price being over $300, I think they would fit the description of the kind of headphone you are searching for... I like them a lot. "Daily driver" when I"m in the office and can't use an open-back design and can't benefit from my big/hefty/unportable headphone amp. TIFWIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 03-05-2019, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
@SIDDHI besides comfort I would like noise isolation, the 1More over-ear will not provide it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
If you've got any flexability in that $300 budget I've got first-hand experience with Fostex TR-X00's (from Massdrop) for about $420, and other than the price being over $300, I think they would fit the description of the kind of headphone you are searching for... I like them a lot. "Daily driver" when I"m in the office and can't use an open-back design and can't benefit from my big/hefty/unportable headphone amp. TIFWIW.
I've been preoccupied with other things and haven't looked in this further, but I did make a list of headphones to research.
So far some models have stood out:
V moda m100 - even though they have a opening for bass port, noise isolating testing puts them close to the Meze 99C. I've listened to the 99C and they did a very good job.
Soundmagic HP151 - the sound on these is described from analytical to fun. Without hearing them I can't tell.

I will add the Fostex TR-X00's to the list.
post #35 of 48 Old 03-05-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@SIDDHI besides comfort I would like noise isolation, the 1More over-ear will not provide it.

I've been preoccupied with other things and haven't looked in this further, but I did make a list of headphones to research.
So far some models have stood out:
V moda m100 - even though they have a opening for bass port, noise isolating testing puts them close to the Meze 99C. I've listened to the 99C and they did a very good job.
Soundmagic HP151 - the sound on these is described from analytical to fun. Without hearing them I can't tell.

I will add the Fostex TR-X00's to the list.
Nice. I'm recommending them because they are:
- Fully over-ear
- They don't use any "Active Noise Cancelling" tech
- They are the most comfortable pair of headphones I own
- They are low-impedence and do not require a powerful amp to sound their best.
- They're my best-sounding low-impedence headphone.
- I'd describe their sound signature as "tastefully fun." The low end is definitely a little boosted up; at very high volumes I think they can get a little bit bright, but overall I do not think they're a particularly bright headphone (I'm generally pretty sensitive to sharper sibilant sound; I tend to prefer dome tweeters over horns for speakers, etc). The low end is boosted up a bit, but not in a boomy/bloated/fart-boxy sort of way like Beats.

Aesthetics are probably even-more-subjective than most any other characteristic of a headphone, but I really like the way they look, too, fwiw...
noob00224 likes this.
post #36 of 48 Old 03-08-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice. I'm recommending them because they are:
- Fully over-ear
- They don't use any "Active Noise Cancelling" tech
- They are the most comfortable pair of headphones I own
- They are low-impedence and do not require a powerful amp to sound their best.
- They're my best-sounding low-impedence headphone.
- I'd describe their sound signature as "tastefully fun." The low end is definitely a little boosted up; at very high volumes I think they can get a little bit bright, but overall I do not think they're a particularly bright headphone (I'm generally pretty sensitive to sharper sibilant sound; I tend to prefer dome tweeters over horns for speakers, etc). The low end is boosted up a bit, but not in a boomy/bloated/fart-boxy sort of way like Beats.

Aesthetics are probably even-more-subjective than most any other characteristic of a headphone, but I really like the way they look, too, fwiw...
These are semi open and let in a lot of sound.

I spent some time looking at upgrades to the 380 Pro's and I don't think there are any (under $500). I also have somewhat large ears.
A lot of them are neutral (tonally) or similar to the Sennheisers. The Audeze Mobius are too expensive for what they offer (?).

Last edited by noob00224; 03-08-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #37 of 48 Old 03-08-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These are semi open and let in a lot of sound.
The Fostex TR-X00's are not semi-open. It's a fully-covered cup made of mahogany, with a 360 cushioned pad around the ear.

"Letting in a lot of sound" is pretty subjective and it's possible we have different opinions on what constitutes "letting in a lot of sound".
post #38 of 48 Old 03-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
The Audeze Mobius are too expensive for what they offer (?).
Don't agree with this. Audeze 100mm planar magnetic drivers with builtin waves nx binaural convolution+headtracking and ldac bluetooth 5.0. +7.1 if connected to a pc They're one of a kind for $400 new or $250-300 used.
Nuance likes this.

Last edited by bdht; 03-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #39 of 48 Old 03-08-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Fostex TR-X00's are not semi-open. It's a fully-covered cup made of mahogany, with a 360 cushioned pad around the ear.

"Letting in a lot of sound" is pretty subjective and it's possible we have different opinions on what constitutes "letting in a lot of sound".
This is the info from the reviews.

it has a surrounding ventilation slot on the magnesium ring.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fos...clusive.21135/

Measurement for isolation: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropTHX00.pdf

@bdht I will have to hear them to make an impression.
post #40 of 48 Old 03-10-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
They are more than a semi closed set. I have the 900s as well as the x00 purplehearts. The actual amount of sound coming though is next to nothing. With my purplehearts on my wife, the amount of noise is less than my Either C's or my old LCD-2s.... They are great, I can wear them in bed with a sleeping wife and kid and they never hear anything....
noob00224 likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #41 of 48 Old 03-14-2019, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I think I've done all the research I can , will need to test listen to make an impression.

So far the list consists of:
V Moda M100
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
Meze 99 Neo
Audioquet Nightowl
Audeze Mobius
B&O H4
NAD HP 70

Fostex TR-X00 is not available in the EU and I'll have to pay tax, so this one is last.
post #42 of 48 Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Try the Meze 99 Classics over the Meze 99 Neos
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...led-headphones
post #43 of 48 Old 03-26-2019, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Try the Meze 99 Classics over the Meze 99 Neos
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...led-headphones
Already listened to those, they sounded laid back and not engaging, recessed mids. 3rd generation pads I think.

I will try some of the following in store, maybe there is something good:
ATH msr7
ATH 990z - don't have those, but they do have the a500x, the closest.
Audeze Mobious
B&O H4

I think I will end up getting different cans for different purposes.
Already planning to get an Ultrasone PRO 580i, the upgrade to the HFI 580, but no reviews though. Had an HFI 550 a while back and the low end was very precise, not sure what other headphones for electronic music can match that.

Last edited by noob00224; 03-26-2019 at 03:11 AM.
post #44 of 48 Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I completely agree with this. It sounds like he wants exaggerated bass, and those things are bass cannons (in a good way though). They aren't wireless, but I suspect they'll provide the sound the OP is looking for.

I also like the Audeze Mobius recommendation, as they can be tweaked to achieve the OP's sound preference. The NAD HP70 is nice as well.
psuKinger likes this.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #45 of 48 Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
I completely agree with this. It sounds like he wants exaggerated bass, and those things are bass cannons (in a good way though). They aren't wireless, but I suspect they'll provide the sound the OP is looking for.

I also like the Audeze Mobius recommendation, as they can be tweaked to achieve the OP's sound preference. The NAD HP70 is nice as well.
The Fostex TR-X00 would be great, but Massdrop dosen't have a store in the EU so I have to pay $100-150 tax, shipping, and not sure what else. They are at the bottom of the list.

There is a store where the Mobius can be tested, so I'll do that on my next visit.

The Nad's are mid centric and bass light. Also, I have fairly large ears and the depth is 15mm. The pads can't be changed either.
post #46 of 48 Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Did a listening session with some models.
Output was Tidal > DAC Chord Electronics Mojo.

ATH-A990Z: Mids and Higs were fine. The bass was higher than what I expected, but woolly, and very loose. Also bled into mids. This model is suposed to have good soundstage, but the sound was congested.
Isolating wise was ok, though worse than the Meze's.

ATH MSR7 : These headphones are sometimes described as bass light, but this is not the case. Actually, it was close to bleeding into the mids. The rest of the frequencies were fine. Sound signature was not completely neutral/boring, but a bit on the fun side. Had a certain amount of clarity.
Not very comfortable.

Meze 99 Neo: Mids were a bit recessed, but the rest of the requencies were fine. Bass was a little tighter, not sure if it was due to the amp. Ok sound overall.

Audeze Mobius: Connected via USB, not analog. Tested 3D a bit, not on multichannel music/tv, but interesting still.
Disabled 3D and EQ (I think, or on Auto). Bass light. The sound was precise, but distant. There was a coldness to the sound, and it lacked fullness.

B&O H9 (H4 were not available): Did not notice recessed mids. Bass and highs were fine.
Musical, engaging, lively, fun headphones. A refined version of the Panasonic HTF 600. The other option was the M audio Q40, but it's out of production. The B&O H6 2nd gen might also be similar, but it's also out of production.
I'm curios how this compares to the M-100 or the Fostex TH-X00.

Last edited by noob00224; 05-20-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #47 of 48 Old 05-20-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Audeze Mobius: Connected via USB, not analog. Tested 3D a bit, not on multichannel music/tv, but interesting still.
Disabled 3D and EQ (I think, or on Auto). Bass light. The sound was precise, but distant. There was a coldness to the sound, and it lacked fullness.
Couple tips for the Mobius

The default and flat presets are definitely bright. Try starting with the Music preset, and maybe Warm.

Set the head measurements in the windows app and try playing with the room ambience slider for 3d. 20 to 40 is a good start.

If you have access to an eq, eqapo in windows or uapp in android, some additional eq can help balance them out and especially with 3d.

I really like the way these sound with some extra eq and the brainwavz angled pleather pads, and using 3d auto with room ambience at 30. Very full sounding, huge soundstage due to the binaural rendering+head tracking, great imaging, and very balanced.

The eq with the normal looking bell is for the stock pads, the other is for the brainwavz pads.

I also only ever use them connected via ldac to an android phone for music.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190521-002807_USB Audio Player PRO_1558421270536.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	661.5 KB
ID:	2569422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190521-002333_USB Audio Player PRO_1558421274503.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	2569424  
post #48 of 48 Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Couple tips for the Mobius

The default and flat presets are definitely bright. Try starting with the Music preset, and maybe Warm.

Set the head measurements in the windows app and try playing with the room ambience slider for 3d. 20 to 40 is a good start.

If you have access to an eq, eqapo in windows or uapp in android, some additional eq can help balance them out and especially with 3d.

I really like the way these sound with some extra eq and the brainwavz angled pleather pads, and using 3d auto with room ambience at 30. Very full sounding, huge soundstage due to the binaural rendering+head tracking, great imaging, and very balanced.

The eq with the normal looking bell is for the stock pads, the other is for the brainwavz pads.

I also only ever use them connected via ldac to an android phone for music.
Signal was coming out of a Mac, and I don't know if they have anything software wise set up.
They didn't even find the cable, used an alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page