Closed headset recommandation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 08-26-2018, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Closed headset recommandation

Hello,

I have been out of the audio game for a while now and am not up to date.

Looking for a pair of headphones mostly for movies, must have the following:
Good bass.
Musical sound.
Circumaural.
Comfortable.
Closed, passive attenuation would be a plus.

I already have the Sennheiser HD350 Pro, but they sound flat. I also have the Panasonic HTF-600, which sound great, but are semi open. If I cover the outlet they sound too muffled.
Have previousley owned Ultrasonne 550, no midrange. Had a Grado SR 60, low bass and open.
Also owned a few other Sennheiser, HD215, HD650, too mellow (or flat depending on the model). Have not tried the HD 25 though, but those are supraaural.

Output is HTPC with Xonar DGX. I can upgrade if necessary, new soundcard (previousley had a Essence ST which broke ), or external solution.

Last edited by noob00224; 08-26-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 08-26-2018, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 178
ATH-m50x?
post #3 of 48 Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsWillTravel View Post
ATH-m50x?
ATH-m50x there seem to be varying opinions about the sound quality of this headset.

So far i've looked at:
Meze 99 Classics
1More Triple Driver Over-Ear, those seem to be in between circumaural and supraaural, some complaints about comfort.
Beyer DT 770 PRO 80 ohm - but these seem to be more analytical?

Came across a pair of headphones i've disregarded due to it's design, the V moda m 100. They seem to be sold as Noise - Isolating, however I can see a vent, so that would make them semi open?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
ATH-m50x there seem to be varying opinions about the sound quality of this headset.

It's got over 5,000 reviews for it on Amazon. 78% of those are 5 stars. 13% 4 stars. I'm not saying it's the greatest headphones ever made, but you'd be hard pressed to find any product with 100% 5 star reviews after being reviewed by thousands of people. The general consensus based on the reviews I'm seeing is it's well received, any detractors are in the minority.

Guitar Centers have them along with other monitor headsets in the stores to try out.
natchie likes this.
post #5 of 48 Old 08-28-2018, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How much are you looking to spend? I have PSB M4u2, that cost $400 new 4 years ago, but there is a M4u1, which is identical aside from not having integrated amp and ANC components.

The comfort is ludicrously good(not right away though, the clamping pressure is tough at first) and they sound incredible.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-28-2018 at 05:59 PM.
post #6 of 48 Old 08-29-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsWillTravel View Post
ATH-m50x?
Good = Accurate
Accurate = Flat
Flat = ATH-M50X
ATH-M50X = Good!

OP, if you don't like accurate audio, then buy a pair of flat headphones and play around with an EQ until you find a frequency-response curve you like. (Optionally) Then find a company whose sound-signature matches your preference.

You seem to be taking the shotgun approach of trying everything. If you enjoy the hunt then carry on, but there are more economical ways of a finding a solution.
post #7 of 48 Old 08-30-2018, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

@2WheelsWillTravel Many mediocre products have good ratings (i.e. beats), it's because the average consumer does not come into contact with quality products. And when they do they are amazed, compared to their $10 generic headsets.

@ZwartePiet The way people enjoy audio is subjective. I personally do not like flat sounding cans, I prefer a fun colored headphone.
Eq adjustments can only go so far, the HD350 Pro's do not sound warm no matter the settings. What could help here is an external solution amp/+dac, but i'm not there yet.

[email protected] My budget is $300 for the cans. I have found a store that has the Meze 99 Classics and the ATH-m50x available for listening sessions, will give that a try.
post #8 of 48 Old 09-01-2018, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Glad to hear you will have a chance to hear those cans before making a decision. I've heard the m50x. I've heard great things about the 99 classic and ATH-M60x($190).

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 48 Old 09-11-2018, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Hello,

I have been out of the audio game for a while now and am not up to date.

Looking for a pair of headphones mostly for movies, must have the following:
Good bass.
Musical sound.
Circumaural.
Comfortable.
Closed, passive attenuation would be a plus.

I already have the Sennheiser HD350 Pro, but they sound flat. I also have the Panasonic HTF-600, which sound great, but are semi open. If I cover the outlet they sound too muffled.
Have previousley owned Ultrasonne 550, no midrange. Had a Grado SR 60, low bass and open.
Also owned a few other Sennheiser, HD215, HD650, too mellow (or flat depending on the model). Have not tried the HD 25 though, but those are supraaural.

Output is HTPC with Xonar DGX. I can upgrade if necessary, new soundcard (previousley had a Essence ST which broke ), or external solution.
NAD VISO HP-50 or NAD VISO HP-70 are two good choices. HP-70 is wireless and goes for about $400 while the HP-50 sells for about $250 .
noob00224 likes this.

"What greater gift than the love of a cat?" Charles Dickens
"Time spent with cats is never wasted." Sigmund Freud
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer
post #10 of 48 Old 10-30-2018, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 61
99 classics

I only look at closed back headphones due to the wife and kids constantly roaming the house while I listen
I ended up choosing the 99 classics. The m50x did not have enough bass for me. I had the senn m2 and absolutely loved the sound but the earpads were a little too small and bothered me. The classics seem to me like the next step up from the m2's. They are the most comfortable I have ever worn. They have changed the pads 2 or 3 times now and the sound is supposedly different from the ones with the original pads. I spent a lot of time on head fi reading reviews and opinions on the matter. Some say the new pads are fine. They contend that the headphones need time to burn in and the pads need to break in. I let mine burn in but never got around to breaking the pads in because the bass was too overwhelming(and I like extra bass). The brainwavz hm5 pads are the most recommended to replace the stock ones. I got the oval hybrid ones. Most like the oval sheepskin ones. Either way, the brainwavz pads are thicker which sits the pads off the ears more than the stock pads and really brings the headphone together comfort and sound wise. Again, after listening to others and changing the pads(this was also recommended by Meze customer support to eq the headphones) I love the sound and they are so comfy. My Christmas present to myself this year is the new Meze balanced cable and the the Fiio Q5. To summarize, I vote for the 99 classics. If the bass is too much just change the pads.
noob00224 likes this.
post #11 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxjamb View Post
If the bass is too much just change the pads.
I tested a few models:
NAD HP 70-low bass
ATH-M50x - ok bass, but the headset sounds bad, garbled.
Meze Classics 99- low bass. Musical sounding. Despite what some reviews claim, these did not sound fun/dynamic, sounded kind of tame/lame.
The cups are also too shallow. Could a different set of pads modify the sound signature to something I would like?

I guess I would like a more bass accentuated headphone. A closed back version of the Panasonic HFT 600 would be great.
What are my other options? What if I increased my budget?
I woldn't mind an wireless model as long as it has a cable connection as well.
post #12 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I tested a few models:
NAD HP 70-low bass
ATH-M50x - ok bass, but the headset sounds bad, garbled.
Meze Classics 99- low bass. Musical sounding. Despite what some reviews claim, these did not sound fun/dynamic, sounded kind of tame/lame.
The cups are also too shallow. Could a different set of pads modify the sound signature to something I would like?

I guess I would like a more bass accentuated headphone. A closed back version of the Panasonic HFT 600 would be great.
What are my other options? What if I increased my budget?
I woldn't mind an wireless model as long as it has a cable connection as well.
I owned the ATH M50X before I got the 99's and the 99's without a doubt had more bass to me. If the pads are too shallow you may not be getting a good seal. The pads that came with mine fit my ears but I could feel the pads touching too much for my taste so I bought some brainwave pads that fit and fully enveloped my ears and I love the 99's. I also like bassy headphones but may prefer a little less bass than you. I sent back the AQ night owls because they were basslight and also sold my M50x because they didn't have enough. Senn m2's had good bass but pads were uncomfortable as well. The next phones I am looking at are the campfire audio cascade or audeze lcd2 classic closed. I also have looked at some of the higher end Denon headphones. They may have more bass than any I have listed.
noob00224 likes this.

Last edited by coxjamb; 02-14-2019 at 05:57 AM.
post #13 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3175 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
focal has 2 closed back models. one just came out the other day.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #14 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
focal has 2 closed back models. one just came out the other day.
I don't doubt the focals will sound awesome but I don't think they will have the bass he is looking for. They are known for a more neutral signature if I am not mistaken.YMMV

Last edited by coxjamb; 02-14-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #15 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't mean the Meze have no bass, just less than the ATH M50.
What pads could I try to increase the bass for the Meze?

A few years back the M Audio Q 40 was recommended as an upgrade to the HFT600's, with a similar signature.
I can see they both have a upped lower frequency, a bump around 2k and 10k.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pana...e6kNy0kItgvJM:
https://www.google.com/search?q=m+au...e6kNy0kItgvJM:

I will try to get a hold of some of these ones, but I don't think I will find all of them in store for testing. Which ones are more musical as opposed to netural?

Sennheiser HD 4.50
MOMENTUM 2
m-audio hdh50
focal LISTEN PROFESSIONAL
Focal Listen
Sennheiser RS
sennheiser pxc 480
ULTRASONE Performance series.
post #16 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If you're usage is mostly movies and your using a HTPC, Id recommend giving this program a try.

https://fongaudio.com

It works best with headphones that have a flat uncompensated response or are eq'd flat. I use Equalizer APO. I know that's a bit counter to what you've been looking for, but if for movies this is hands down the most enjoyable experience. The flat response is only for using the program so you could get something more to your taste and eq it. But I recommend sticking to planar magnetics or very responsive dynamics.

I try to detail using the program a bit in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-h...topics/3034902

The AKG K550s are nice https://www.akg.com/factory-refurbished/K550MKII.html

If you can find a used pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Dog/Primes thats a great closed can but hard to drive.
noob00224 likes this.
post #17 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
If you're usage is mostly movies and your using a HTPC, Id recommend giving this program a try.

https://fongaudio.com

It works best with headphones that have a flat uncompensated response or are eq'd flat. I use Equalizer APO. I know that's a bit counter to what you've been looking for, but if for movies this is hands down the most enjoyable experience. The flat response is only for using the program so you could get something more to your taste and eq it. But I recommend sticking to planar magnetics or very responsive dynamics.

I try to detail using the program a bit in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-h...topics/3034902

The AKG K550s are nice https://www.akg.com/factory-refurbished/K550MKII.html

If you can find a used pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Dog/Primes thats a great closed can but hard to drive.
I have a list of DSP's to test, will add that one to the list.

The AKG's as far as I know are kind of flat and not to much bass.
I'm really interested in the RS series from Sennheiser, how are those?
post #18 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I have a list of DSP's to test, will add that one to the list.

The AKG's as far as I know are kind of flat and not to much bass.
I'm really interested in the RS series from Sennheiser, how are those?
ok for wireless headphones. They probably have the bass quantity you're looking for. https://www.rtings.com/images/graphs...se-l-graph.png

However, that's boomy distorted bass. https://www.rtings.com/images/graphs...tion-graph.png
Whereas something like the primes you can hit with a 10db sub bass boost and itll still be clean and articulate.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images...AlphaPrime.pdf

When using OOYH and equalizing the headphones to have a flat response(pulling the common 2-6khz bump down 10db) bass will be much more prominent.

OOYH differs from every other DSP you'll try due to the HRTF binaural convolution engine is based on measured room impulse responses taken with a Smyth Realiser A8. Much more natural sounding virtualized rooms, much better externalization of the virtual loudspeakers. It's free to try, I'd put it at the top of your list ;]
noob00224 likes this.
post #19 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

The RS 175 was what I was looking at as well and it seems to distort low frequency at high volume with bass boost.

Thanks, will try it out.
I hope I can find a suitable pair of cans before I go over the $500 limit.
Skipped over the Meze 99 Neo's, will have to try those as well.

So what pads could I get for the Meze that would have more depth (more than 23mm) and more bass.
post #20 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like to search youtube for headphone reviews...lots of great reviewers out there.
coxjamb and noob00224 like this.

Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #21 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The RS 175 was what I was looking at as well and it seems to distort low frequency at high volume with bass boost.

Thanks, will try it out.

So what pads could I get for the Meze that would have more depth (more than 23mm) and more bass.
I wouldn't recommend the Neos at all =p Hard to get a good seal, flubby distorted out of phase bass, and poor low frequency extension. Sure they've got a hard dynamic bass hit, but that's it, poor mid/treble performance too.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images...iesAndPads.pdf

The AT MSR7s are better than the M50x btw, and not a bad choice, good bass transient response, low distortion, maybe slightly piercing but little ringing/resonance, but could use some eq from 500hz to 5khz.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images...icaATHMSR7.pdf

The Shure SRH1540 has bit of a bass boost but not so much of a hard hit. Treble/midrange performance is good, distortion at 100db gets higher but you probably wont listen over 75db.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1540.pdf

The Fostex TH900 is similar in that bass is elevated and resounding but less hard hitting. treble/midrange is a bit punchier and less smooth though.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2.pdf

The highest you'd probably need to stretch your budget would be the MrSpeakers Aeon Closed.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images...68wFilters.pdf

You're in the unique position of using a PC which gives you the ability to get more reference quality headphones(flat extended low distortion bass response) and equalize(with a very high resolution parametric eq thats free) them to your liking. For movies and especially using a surround sound program, I recommend a response closer to the Aeons. You don't want that elevated high transient response less resounding distorted out of phase bass, you want the extended low distortion articulate and resounding bass due to the LFE and sfx in movies will smear into a boomy mess with the former and be crystal clear and immersive with the latter.

I'll add that I don't touch bass eq with my headphones which generally play flat to 10hz, I use OOYH 100% of the time, and bass response is very satisfying. Also if you really want to get into it you can add bass shaker systems.
noob00224 likes this.
post #22 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
You're in the unique position of using a PC which gives you the ability to get more reference quality headphones(flat extended low distortion bass response) and equalize(with a very high resolution parametric eq thats free) them to your liking. For movies and especially using a surround sound program, I recommend a response closer to the Aeons. You don't want that elevated high transient response less resounding distorted out of phase bass, you want the extended low distortion articulate and resounding bass due to the LFE and sfx in movies will smear into a boomy mess with the former and be crystal clear and immersive with the latter.

I'll add that I don't touch bass eq with my headphones which generally play flat to 10hz, I use OOYH 100% of the time, and bass response is very satisfying. Also if you really want to get into it you can add bass shaker systems.
What very high resolution parametric eq thats free do you recommend?
Can I do this with the 380 Pro's?
post #23 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks, will try it out.

I bought the brainwav hybrid hm5 oval pads. Lots of good recs in this thread. Some more neutral and some with elevated bass.
As others have stated you may not want basshead cans for movies as they may sound boomy, but it depends on how the headphone is tuned. Some have more linear response and some have elevated sub or mid bass. That is why I like to read lots of reviews. Headfi and others often give good comparisons. I only use my headphones for music and I like extra bass so the 99's sound great for that but may not be suited for movies as much. I have never tried though so they might I don't listen to my music extremely loud either so if turned way up for movies the 99's might sound boomy. I really like what others have said about cans for movies. Headphones that have a fairly linear response and play low should be able to be turned up loud for movies and not sound boomy.
post #24 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
What very high resolution parametric eq thats free do you recommend?
Can I do this with the 380 Pro's?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

You can eq anything you want but boosting something with already high distortion is gonna muck up the whole response.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/...erHD380Pro.pdf

In the case of the 380s you can see they already have elevated bass and high distortion. Don't boost the bass. you can bring 2-5khz down 3-5db for normal listening for a mire pleasant sound and 10-15db if using OOYH.
noob00224 likes this.
post #25 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I own these that are kinda closed. sound really good and look awesome. plus very comfy. https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-USA-Pr...s=fostex+t60rp

post #26 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I own these that are kinda closed. sound really good and look awesome. plus very comfy. https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-USA-Pr...s=fostex+t60rp
I can't find any reviews, how is the frequency response and other stuff?

LE: are they the T60 RP? These are semi open.
post #27 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't find any reviews, how is the frequency response and other stuff?

LE: are they the T60 RP? These are semi open.

https://www.soundstage.com/index.php...263&Itemid=203
https://hearfidelity.com/reviews-1/fostexs-t60rp

I own senn hd600, jubilees, focal elear, fostex t60rp. they all do something different well.

post #28 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Some of those tX0rp mods can be really good. I have the Alpha Primes. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/...AlphaPrime.pdf

Responsive planar magnetics, able to play action movie surround sound or death/black metal through the prir binaural convolution engine with incredible detail and the staging of open headphones.
post #29 of 48 Old 02-14-2019, 02:13 PM

O you know what, you might want to consider the Audeze Mobius to if you don't want to monkey with anything just plug em into your pcs usb and then you have neat bluetooth headphones too.

I eq em to my liking and switch the pads but I'm a weirdo =/ really cool headphones with the builtin virtualization and headtracking(locks the virtual speakers in place)... only planar bluetooth headphones and one of the few ldac bluetooth 5.0 headphones.
coxjamb and noob00224 like this.
post #30 of 48 Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If you arent looking at VModo you are doing it wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page