Headphone Surround Sound - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #61 of 91 Old 03-16-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
Was poking around my brand-new XB1X today when I started tinkering with the Dolby Atmos app (for headphones).

How does one connect stereo headphones directly into an Xbox? Some kind of 3.5mm (1/8") <> USB/Optical adaptor?

Thanks!
Isn't there a 3.5mm jack on the controller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Depends on the controller - early controllers lacked the headset port, but later ones support it. The transition happened from the old Xbone to the new Xbone s - the ones released after the Xbone S came out has them.
post #63 of 91 Old 03-18-2019, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 15
the out of my head works but it sounds awful. lots of clicks and glitches in the sound. Dolby headphone sounds a lot better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 91 Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post
the out of my head works but it sounds awful. lots of clicks and glitches in the sound. Dolby headphone sounds a lot better
Sounds like an error.

try this
https://fongaudio.com/work-around-fo...put-error-bug/
post #65 of 91 Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
This post is great! Ive been playing around with OOYH and it’s been great. I have been having the clicks and distortion issue (buzz or pop every two to three seconds) but that didn’t happen the first night I set it up so it’s gotta be fixable.

Does anyone have some EQ settings for a Sennheiser hd600? I have never used eq apo so any help is appreciated!

Also, for when I purchase the software, are there any presets to avoid/look for movies? I hear the large rooms can have latency issues. Thanks again!
post #66 of 91 Old 03-19-2019, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loverhino View Post
This post is great! Ive been playing around with OOYH and it’s been great. I have been having the clicks and distortion issue (buzz or pop every two to three seconds) but that didn’t happen the first night I set it up so it’s gotta be fixable.

Does anyone have some EQ settings for a Sennheiser hd600? I have never used eq apo so any help is appreciated!

Also, for when I purchase the software, are there any presets to avoid/look for movies? I hear the large rooms can have latency issues. Thanks again!
If you have glitches one of two things works for me 99% of the time.

First restart OOYH.

If that doesn't fix it, go to your windows sound properties, click configure for OOYH, and cycle through the speaker layout wizard, you can just hit enter a few times don't have to change anything.

Then set your audio device as default and relaunch OOYH.

The HD600 is a cinch to equalize, it plays mostly flat with a big peak at 3.5khz. a simple parametric peaking filter at 3.5khz, -10db, q factor 2.0. Feel free to reduce or increase the db level and same with the qfactor to your preference. Best to test on music.

For movie presets I found myself using the Genelecs alot since its a treated room and sounds the most natural. But for older movies I find some of the more reverberant presets like the Cello enjoyable due to maybe those movies were mixed more for untreated rooms.

Of course avoid the stereo presets like the Quads for movies though ;]
post #67 of 91 Old 03-21-2019, 03:14 PM

I have the genelec for movies and the aix for music and it’s been just phenomenal. I’m testing out some different headphones over the next two weeks (focal elear, Beyerdynamic Amiron home, and mrspeakers aeon closed) to make a final decision between those and the hd600 I am currently trying, with sound and comfort (of course, right?) being the decider.
post #68 of 91 Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the genelec for movies and the aix for music and it’s been just phenomenal. I’m testing out some different headphones over the next two weeks (focal elear, Beyerdynamic Amiron home, and mrspeakers aeon closed) to make a final decision between those and the hd600 I am currently trying, with sound and comfort (of course, right?) being the decider.
When using OOYH I would imagine the aeon closed will sound best. Responsive, uncolored, great imaging and the isolation can be a plus if youve got noise in the room. My Alpha Primes may not sound as full and huge as my EL-8s, but they sound very good and probably better than anything else in my collection. The Aeons will blow the hd600s out of the water. I pretty much never use my hd650s with ooyh, only the planars and electrostats, it's such a huge difference, especially the well damped ones like Audeze and MrSpeakers.

Have you been using any additional equalization?
post #69 of 91 Old 03-21-2019, 04:10 PM

Ha! Of course the most expensive set of headphones will work best! Darn you, quest for great sound!

I haven’t done anything other than download eq apo; it’s outside of my skill set, so I’ll need some time to sit down and see what buttons to mash. &#x1f642;
post #70 of 91 Old 03-21-2019, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ha! Of course the most expensive set of headphones will work best! Darn you, quest for great sound!

I haven’t done anything other than download eq apo; it’s outside of my skill set, so I’ll need some time to sit down and see what buttons to mash. &#x1f642;
OOYH scales beautifully with better equipment. The fidelity of my main system is astounding, but of course it gives me a horrid itch to upgrade my second system =/

EQ for the most part its pretty simple. Hit the red minuses and get rid of the stock presets, click the green plus and select parametric>peaking filter. and like i said in the last post for the hd600 just do 3500khz -10 to 15db q1.5. from there it gets more towards customizing for taste and/or trying to correct for the different hrtfs, e.g. I find I generally have to notch 4-6khz down a bit further even though the headphone response doesn't look like it would call for it.
post #71 of 91 Old 03-22-2019, 03:11 AM

I tried this again last and finally got it working without any clicks and feedback.

It was actually very good and the difference between the effect on and off was astounding.

i do have a couple of questions.

if i buy the complete package what does it offer over the cheaper gaming/movie preset. I had assumed that if you but the package you get access to all the presets but it seems you only get one.

so basically you are paying $150 dollars for a preset or $25 for a fixed gaming/movie preset (which i used last night and sounded very good)

also my understanding was that open back headphones were recommended for these types of software yet above the sugegstion is to go with a closed pair of headphones

One thing i cant use is the Equaliser software. I cant tell whether its switched on or off. Does it automatically load when you switch the pc on or do you have to select it. I also cant work out how to add / remove a preset.

someone posted a screen shot of their set up and there were rows and rows or columns. I have a set of AD900 (audio techna) and have recently bought a set of Hd599 . The HD599 are certainly nicer sounding than the AD900 (for movies anyway)

also what is HeSuVi

Last edited by FGEvans; 03-22-2019 at 03:19 AM.
post #72 of 91 Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
if i buy the complete package what does it offer over the cheaper gaming/movie preset. I had assumed that if you but the package you get access to all the presets but it seems you only get one.

so basically you are paying $150 dollars for a preset or $25 for a fixed gaming/movie preset (which i used last night and sounded very good)
The gaming preset is just the convolution engine, which in itself tends to be superior to other renderers due to using 32bit intelligent processing, razer surround for instance using 16bit processing.

The full license gives you one preset and the ability to purchase others. These presets use Personal Room Impulse Response(PRIR) that were measured using in ear microphones with a Smyth Realiser A8 of actual speaker systems ranging from movie theaters, to home theaters, recording studios, and 2 channel hifi listening rooms(in 2.0 or 7.1 configurations).

Quote:
also my understanding was that open back headphones were recommended for these types of software yet above the sugegstion is to go with a closed pair of headphones
Closed back headphones are fine, I use my closed back headphones for movies often when there's background noise. Open back typically push the virtual speaker locations out further, but not necessarily, my closed Alpha Primes render a much larger space than my HD650s, Stax SR207 and Hifiman HE400i. Lots of factors that determine soundstage.

Quote:
One thing i cant use is the Equaliser software. I cant tell whether its switched on or off. Does it automatically load when you switch the pc on or do you have to select it. I also cant work out how to add / remove a preset.

someone posted a screen shot of their set up and there were rows and rows or columns. I have a set of AD900 (audio techna) and have recently bought a set of Hd599 . The HD599 are certainly nicer sounding than the AD900 (for movies anyway)
Once you've installed Equalizer APO you need to run the configurator in the eqapo folder and install the apo for your audio device. It runs all the time after that on the selected device. Once you open the program you'll see a couple of stock presets, maybe a preamp, graphic equalizer, etc. Hit the red minuses on those, then hit the green + and select a parametric filter >peaking filter. The filters have power buttons and you can switch them on and off. The advise for the hd599 is the same in the last couple of posts, 3500khz -10 to -15db, and q factor 1.5. The q factor narrows or widens the filter.

Quote:
also what is HeSuVi
Hesuvi is another convolution engine that uses HRTFs taken by capture software of various renderers, which is incorrect, the processing also seems inferior to ooyh, waves, redscape, etc. I've tried it a couple times and it dosen't sound very good ;[

Last edited by bdht; 03-22-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #73 of 91 Old 03-23-2019, 08:31 AM

Do I install the EQ APO on the out of your head audio device or on my hdmi amplifier output device
post #74 of 91 Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 AM

Also is the filter on when the power is switched to black or when it's white
post #75 of 91 Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do I install the EQ APO on the out of your head audio device or on my hdmi amplifier output device
hdmi output
Quote:
Also is the filter on when the power is switched to black or when it's white
white
post #76 of 91 Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What about the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's?
I think they do have a spike at 2k, as well as 4,5, and 6?

http://en.goldenears.net/13496
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro...hd-380-pro.php

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images...erHD380Pro.pdf

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images...eiserHD600.pdf

What about the low end, should I just leave it like that?

LE: I found this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-h...l#post57603732

In the case of the 380s you can see they already have elevated bass and high distortion. Don't boost the bass. you can bring 2-5khz down 3-5db for normal listening for a mire pleasant sound and 10-15db if using OOYH.

So for an flat response would the low end need to be subdued when using OOYH?

LE2: Found this EQ settings, for music. The low end of the base is lifted, should I lift it for OOYH movies as well?
EQ Preset:
200 Hz: +5 dB, Q 1.41
2500 Hz: -5.5 dB, Q 3.0
4000 Hz: -5.5 dB, Q 3.0
10000 Hz: -2.5 dB, Q 3.0
14500 Hz: 3.5 dB, Q 2.0

Last edited by noob00224; 03-26-2019 at 03:42 AM.
post #77 of 91 Old 03-26-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

flatten out the uncompensated(grey) innerfidelity measurement, sub bass too, no boosts only cuts
noob00224 likes this.
post #78 of 91 Old 03-27-2019, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
flatten out the uncompensated(grey) innerfidelity measurement, sub bass too, no boosts only cuts
What reference should I use to flatten them out, the harman curve/golden ears?

http://en.goldenears.net/13496
2nd graph, Measured Frequency Response?

https://www.google.com/search?q=harm...--HHzXleypbPM:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...AMwAw..i&w=600

Or a flat line in the innerfidelity graph, the -35db line?
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images...erHD380Pro.pdf

What about the spike at ~150Hz?

Is there any difference between the 32 and 64 bit of Peace for Eq APO?

LE: Any difference between Waves NX and Hesuvi Waves NX preset?

LE2: Found this EQ for the 380's in the HESUVI eq list. Is it ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2544816  

Last edited by noob00224; 03-27-2019 at 04:19 AM.
post #79 of 91 Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I've had the best luck with the innerfidelity graphs, the flat -35db line, grey, uncompensated, "raw data". I would start with bringing 2-5khz down 10-15db and bringing the sub bass below 70hz down 10db. you can try and correct some of the other areas of the response as you become more familiar with the equalization, instead of reducing 150hz you may fill in the 250hz valley, but that area shouldn't be as noticeable as 2-5khz and below 70hz. I like using the parametric filters in eqapo, not the graphic equalizer, and I don't use peace, just the base program. its simple, accurate, and endlessly customizable. I attached an image of the inverse eq curve I use for my stax sr207 and a list of the filters as an example of what it looks like.

Yes, there's a big difference between Waves NX and Hesuvi. Hesuvi is kind of like a bootleg cam of a movie. They record the output of waves, use their own binaural renderer, and plug that recording into eqapos convolution filter. Its just not right, and it sounds drastically different than using Waves or OOYH. Waves uses finite impulse response hrtf modeling with adjustable variables for the hrtf and an adjustable first reflection algorithm. Out of Your Head uses personal room impulse response convolution measured using binaural microphones in rooms with speakers, and a 32bit floating/intelligent binaural rendering engine.

Likewise with their eq curves they boost areas and do weird stuff... as opposed to applying an inverse eq curve they seem to invert the headphones response. weird... they're boosting 3khz and 6khz.. why?! Are they using the compensated graph? are the equalizing what could be artifacts in the hesdphone measurement rig?

Its well intentioned but they need to make some changes before any of it will sound good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_205554_1553701867704.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	2544936   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180226_182400_1553702025237.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2544946  
noob00224 likes this.
post #80 of 91 Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 AM

I have now settled on the audeze mobius headphones. Tried various software based approaches including OOYH but in my opinion nothing matches audeze mobius.

i assume the head tracking has a lot to do with fooling the brain that you have a set of speakers around you.

loving them so far with movies and gaming on the pc
post #81 of 91 Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have now settled on the audeze mobius headphones. Tried various software based approaches including OOYH but in my opinion nothing matches audeze mobius.

i assume the head tracking has a lot to do with fooling the brain that you have a set of speakers around you.

loving them so far with movies and gaming on the pc
Part of it is the Mobius' planar drivers. Since you were using dynamics(hd599 and ad900) with the software the Mobius will definitely sound better. Also the Mobius is self powered and tuned to Waves NX so no additional eq is really needed and no addtional dac/amp is needed. Love the Mobius, great product I use them exclusively as bluetooth headphones for music, they dont replace my desktop systems though ;]
post #82 of 91 Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 PM

Loving this thread! I've succumbed to the upgrade disease. I've been trying out various headphones and slowly been inching towards the mid high end. Went from the HD 600 to some Beyerdynamic Amiron wired, then those went back and I got a great deal on some LCD-2 fazor from ebay, which are heavy but I really like them, and like them with OOYH.

But then the Koss ESP/95x arrived. I've never listened to a pair of electrostatics before, and I love them. Its a tough call to see which headphone is going to be the keeper, but I'm leaning (slightly) toward the Koss. They also work very well with OOYH.

And then I find myself looking online for deals. I'm sick, I tell you, sick!

When I setlle down I'll bug you again for some possible EQ settings.
post #83 of 91 Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I got a great deal on some LCD-2 fazor from ebay, which are heavy but I really like them, and like them with OOYH.

But then the Koss ESP/95x arrived. I've never listened to a pair of electrostatics before, and I love them. Its a tough call to see which headphone is going to be the keeper, but I'm leaning (slightly) toward the Koss. They also work very well with OOYH.
Great choices! It's no joke how well the planars and estats work with ooyh, right? You many want to try the Dekoni LCD Velour pads on the LCD2s before making a decision, smoother treble, bigger soundstage.

What dac and amp are you using? In that same instance of planars/estats working better than dynamics, a good dac and amp and a bit of isolating and conditioning put the fidelity and naturalness of the speaker emulation through the roof. I know it sounds crazy, but even a simple quadrapole dc power cable between an iso regen and an ultracap lps-1 makes a suprising difference in sound quality, but the science is there in terms of the rapidly changing load current of digital signals causes a voltage to develop across the inductance on the cable and the regulators of the devices cant get rid of this noise. and since you have so many more samples being rendered due to ooyh, the noise is more present.

Quote:
And then I find myself looking online for deals. I'm sick, I tell you, sick! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I find myself on hifishark and usaudiomart/audiogon every day... lol

Quote:
When I setlle down I'll bug you again for some possible EQ settings.
You got it.
post #84 of 91 Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM

Currently entry level dac and amp, for sure. The esp 95x has its own Koss electrostatic amp, and I’m using a topping stack a30 d30 for other headphones. I’m connected via Toslink, so that is a factor in dacs.

I’ve been focusing on the headphones, but I’ve been keeping an eye out for great amp deals. My main delay on getting a better dac/amp is that if I stay with the Koss I need their amp, so I’d only be looking for a better dac.

And oh my! I looked up the ultracap...there’s another item I haven’t even considered...
post #85 of 91 Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Currently entry level dac and amp, for sure. The esp 95x has its own Koss electrostatic amp, and I’m using a topping stack a30 d30 for other headphones. I’m connected via Toslink, so that is a factor in dacs.

I’ve been focusing on the headphones, but I’ve been keeping an eye out for great amp deals. My main delay on getting a better dac/amp is that if I stay with the Koss I need their amp, so I’d only be looking for a better dac.

And oh my! I looked up the ultracap...there’s another item I haven’t even considered...
I'm sure the d30 and a30 with optical sounds pretty decent, definitely better than a pc motherboard

Id be hesitant to suggest the dacs and conditioning, especially on this forum
ε-(&#180;・`) フ if it wasnt so impressive.

My second systems very similar to what you're using, the nfb11 powers the he400is and acts as a dac for the stax:
Hifiman HE-400i, Stax SR-207
Audio-GD NFB-11
Uptone ISO Regen, Uptone Ultracap LPS1, star quad dc cable
Stax SRM-252s
Topaz 91092-12

This has kind of become my minimum I think for what I consider very good sound quality with OOYH, very natural and clean. All got used and under a grand. Absolutely insane headphone surround for movies, and incredible fidelity and a huge speakerlike stereo image for music. I mean really if I can throw death and black metal through OOYHs Ribbon preset and go "damn that sounds good" i think thats saying something ;]
post #86 of 91 Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 PM

The only challenge with the uptone gear is that it doesn’t appear to have optical connection. My easiest source is my lg oled, which only has optical out. I have a nvidia shield which has usb out, but some of my higher end movie files don’t want to play with usb sound.
post #87 of 91 Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only challenge with the uptone gear is that it doesn’t appear to have optical connection. My easiest source is my lg oled, which only has optical out. I have a nvidia shield which has usb out, but some of my higher end movie files don’t want to play with usb sound.
;] for me that stuffs for use with a PC and OOYH, I wouldnt be as concerned with lossy audio from a tv or shield.
post #88 of 91 Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 PM

I’m streaming from my pc to the tv or shield, so I would think it would be the same quality depending on the file as if I were playing from the pc? Hmmm, the tv outputs pcm, so there is that, but does the quality degrade through the shield usb connection in any perceptible way?
post #89 of 91 Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m streaming from my pc to the tv or shield, so I would think it would be the same quality depending on the file as if I were playing from the pc? Hmmm, the tv outputs pcm, so there is that, but does the quality degrade through the shield usb connection in any perceptible way?
O... hm... You say streaming, like dlna? but you're using ooyh? im confused... Whole playback chain please. lol
post #90 of 91 Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 AM

The pc is the file source. I’m using Plex as the server. OOYH works fine as long as it’s running on the source pc. I use power line Ethernet for decent upload speed, sending the media to either my tv and optical out or my nvidia shield with usb out. Those go to the topping stack to the headphones for late night listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page