Headphone Surround Sound - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #151 of 161 Old 03-17-2020, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletopper View Post
how do I watch Apocalypto in LPCM surround?
You don't. There still aren't any HDMI capable devices outside of the Sony and the Realiser until the SXFI TV comes out. Maybe there's a device that can encode lpcm to dolby/dts.

The best solution for headphone surround sound is a PC, unless you're usage is specifically console gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well if Nintendo's 2 track headphone mixes are done universally by a computer algorithm, and not a human hand mixing, Nintendo should license it's LPCM 7.1 to LPCM Headphone mixing program. If Minecraft can appear on Non-Microsoft Systems, and Wheel of Fortune and QBert can appear on Non-Sony systems, why can't Nintendo outlicense a direct LPCM headphone device.

Also, I have a Sony Toslink model Headphones that uses DTS and Dolby. Maybe I didn't set it right. What setting on the Sony Toslink headphones and Sony 4k+3d Blu Ray Movie player settings.

The Turtle Beaches sound great, but only if the movie is Dolby.

And unlike DTS to Dolby to Dolby Headphone double conversions. there's a chance LPCM to Dolby to Dolby Headphone conversion it will work, because LPCM is a digitized analog representation, like .wav CD, and a fight stick where one wire represents one direction / button can be easily translated to one controller language, and a controller adapters works as well as with a native pad/stick, maybe LCPM would be considered a lossless translation, and no information is lost, basically making it a single native Dolby to Dolby Headphone translation.

If the Sony headphones do both Dolby to Don't Headhones and DTS to Sony Headphones equally (Sony has their own virtualizer) then would "game mode" give the most "turtle Beach like" effect, and if the decoder goes out to a 3.5mm output for any headphone set, and not a specific piece of headgear, that would be perfect.

If Nintendo has a USB Solution, then there are literally 3 movie titles in my collection that won't work.

By the way, my dad had a DP-RF6500. Was I listening in a non game mode, would game mode be the most directionally accurate mode, and ifbit works is there a Sony virtualizer with 3.5 mm output for recording and streaming in "post decoded Binaural" mode?
post #153 of 161 Old 03-28-2020, 03:18 PM

If I can find 2 devices, it should be possible to convert LPCM 7 1 into Headphones, so you can finally watch Apocalypto in LPCM headphone.

The first Half I see is an HDMI to HDMI + 8 RCA converter. And it does mention LPCM. So Nintendo should work. I can't link to my app, but I see one on Ebay that does everything up to 7.1 in all 4, Dolby, DTS, LCPM and Analog for $90.

The other half of the equation is kind of unclear. I see discrete 5 1 and 7.1 to 2.0 converters, but I don't know whether they make 2.0 headphone mixes. Or "straight stereo" mixes.

I am aware that Headphone mixes are unnoticeable on a set of 2 communal speakers, but sound surround in headphones.

So do all 7.1 to 2.0 decoders work as "communal stereo/ headphone surround" or do some just mix into "straight stereo", headphone or communal? How do I tell the difference?

On eBay, you're dealing with individual parts instead of systems, so if you don't want communal surround, buy headphone parts without any speaker features. It's a PC-mentality sound system.

Every thing at Best Buy has communal equipment I don"t need, and all their USB headphones won't work on Dad's 4k/ internet movie player.

On my Sony SFP-E800 AC3 RF Demodulator, it has 6 RCA holes for speakers. One, is that the LPCM 5.1 output? Two, will this device convert DTS LD movies too? And 3, is this a place to test a headphone converter that works off LPCM. To test the second half before the first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 161 Old 03-28-2020, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The other half of the equation is kind of unclear. I see discrete 5 1 and 7.1 to 2.0 converters, but I don't know whether they make 2.0 headphone mixes. Or "straight stereo" mixes. I am aware that Headphone mixes are unnoticeable on a set of 2 communal speakers, but sound surround in headphones. So do all 7.1 to 2.0 decoders work as "communal stereo/ headphone surround" or do some just mix into "straight stereo", headphone or communal? How do I tell the difference?
They're most likely just multi-channel to stereo downmixing, whereas the "headphone surround" stuff would have to specifically say binaural stereo or virtual surround sound. Some AVRs have Dolby Headphone built-in, but I couldn't tell you which, as most have a "Virtual headphone" mode that just applies crossfeed and reverb to a normal stereo signal, which can seem more externalized, even eminate from the display, but won't have surround sound. It should be fairly simple to tell, play a multi-channel demo track and it'll either sound like stereo coming from the display or you'll hear discrete effects from behind you. And using the AVR, it can accept stereo to 7.1, lpcm, dolby, dts, and will output binaural stereo through the headphone jack.
post #155 of 161 Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
...And using the AVR, it can accept stereo to 7.1, lpcm, dolby, dts, and will output binaural stereo through the headphone jack.
May I have some info about this AVR? Is there only.one kind? Is it just one company? Is that a generic term for a type of product?

I have a hunch it's a generic term, and stands for Audio Video receiver.

Might I find one at a thrift store once Wuhan Virus has calmed down? Are some that work old enough to replace with a newer such one?

Since you did say headphone jack output Binaural, it can be FM transmitter and wirelessly received, sent to a DVDR to be captured, and sent to a streamer to broadcast audio POV of character in game.

By the way, if you use FM radio to multiview via headphone, compare the ping of a cellphone FM vs a stand alone FM. something about cell phone"s digital processing causes delay vs tabletoo 90s FM radio. Depending on the speed of the song anywhere from half a fourbeat to a whole fourbeat (the top 4 in the 4/4 symbol, where waltzes are 3/4)
post #156 of 161 Old 03-29-2020, 10:18 AM

I was wondering, is Dolby Headphone supposed to work EXCLUSIVELY with Dolby media? That's the way it behaves on a Turtle Beach.

I never had an AVR, so my only experience is with Turtle Beach.

Main reason why I ask is if I see a traditional AVR in a thrift store, and it says Dolby Headphone, I would need to know whether to get it or not.

If only does well if it can work with either DTS media or LPCM media. (Or if Discrete Multi RCA/3.5 mm is considered a separate format, that too.)

My Sony SDP-E800 AC3 RF Demodulator for Laser Discs has 6 RCA outputs for Speakers. Maybe that can be harnessed downstairs for DTS to Headphone.

I
But if Dolby Headphone AVRs only work with Dolby media, then no thanks. Turtle Beach already does that.
post #157 of 161 Old 03-29-2020, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
May I have some info about this AVR? Is there only.one kind? Is it just one company? Is that a generic term for a type of product? I have a hunch it's a generic term, and stands for Audio Video receiver. Might I find one at a thrift store once Wuhan Virus has calmed down? Are some that work old enough to replace with a newer such one?
Correct, an Audio Video Receiver. Anything even remotely recent(last 5-10 years), should have hdmi and truehd/dtshdma decoding. Almost all of them have some type of headphone virtualization or enhancement, Yamahas is "Silent Cinema", Denon is "virtual", I tested quite some time ago but I remembered only hearing stereo, which is why I mentioned crossfeed and reverb, and not binaural stereo. But some specifically have Dolby Headphone though I can't say which because it's rarely listed in specifications.

Quote:
Since you did say headphone jack output Binaural, it can be FM transmitter and wirelessly received,
Correct the out from headphone jack can be sent to an analog or analog to digital wireless transmitter.

Quote:
I was wondering, is Dolby Headphone supposed to work EXCLUSIVELY with Dolby media? That's the way it behaves on a Turtle Beach.
No, Dolby Headphone is a realtime pcm 2.0-7.1 into binaural stereo renderer using basic hrtf algorithms. It's not specific to a codec, and doesn't do any decoding itself. Most likely with the turtle beach is it only has a dolby decoder built-in, due to the licensed codec.
post #158 of 161 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

What is USB headphone surround considered?

I see Dolby 5.1/ DTS 5.1 to 6 discrete RCA as well as USB headphone out.

Can either 6 discrete ( or 8 with 7.1) RCAs or USB be converted via Dolby Headphone or a similar headphone mixer?

I see $30 Dolby + DTS 5.1 to 6 RCA and USB decoders with a legitimate Dolby and DTS decoder label. Can that be used with headphones surround somehow?

Also my Sony SDP-E800 also has 6 RCA outputs. Can that be tapped?
post #159 of 161 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

I think there might be a way or 2.

I heard (from somewhere else on AVDForumd) Dolby Headphones and other headphone surround systems (regardless of quality) use either LPCM or segregated analog channels. Sone might even use USB surround Headphone.

There are $35 devices on eBay which convert Dolby and DTS into both Segregated RCA channels as well be as USB Surround headphones.

Also my Sony SDP-E800 AC3 RF Demodulator has an output of 6 segregated RCA channels.

Maybe something can carry me the rest of the way.

Also, Since Dolby Headphones works on LPCM/ segregated audio, not Dolby Encoded audio, maybe the Dolby Atmos Headphone app on Xbox One does too. If so, then LPCM and DTS movies should work well on the One.
post #160 of 161 Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is USB headphone surround considered?
I'm not sure what you mean. LPCM? I don't think you can transmit encoded audio over usb.

Quote:
Can either 6 discrete ( or 8 with 7.1) RCAs or USB be converted via Dolby Headphone or a similar headphone mixer? I see $30 Dolby + DTS 5.1 to 6 RCA and USB decoders with a legitimate Dolby and DTS decoder label. Can that be used with headphones surround somehow? Also my Sony SDP-E800 also has 6 RCA outputs. Can that be tapped?
I'm not aware of any device other than a Smyth Realiser A8 that has multi-channel rca inputs and a built-in binaural renderer. An AVR with dolby headphone might, but that's it.

Quote:
Also, Since Dolby Headphones works on LPCM/ segregated audio, not Dolby Encoded audio, maybe the Dolby Atmos Headphone app on Xbox One does too. If so, then LPCM and DTS movies should work well on the One.
Atmos for Headphones in the XBox One and Windows 10 PCs specifically have a built-in Atmos metadata decoder and can render the height channels. Though any time Ive tested it it's lacking in externalization to make any height effects noticeable.

I couldn't say if atmos for headphones in the xbox will work for other tracks, but it should, it does in Windows 10, it just intercepts the audio and converts it to binaural stereo. I'd imagine the xbox has a dts decoder at least.
post #161 of 161 Old Today, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 630
USB can do it, but you have to be careful.

HDMI and USB are the two interfaces that are able to carry multichannel audio without encoding. HDMI is generally preferred since practically every source of multichannel audio will provide it out via HDMI. USB will generally only be provided by a computer host - either a PC or game console. So a generic source like a streaming box or Blu-Ray player will not generally have USB support.

The thing with USB is that many headphones only do surround if attached to specific devices - this is because the headphones are actually just USB headphones handling 2 channel audio, and the magic is all in the drivers. There are a few that do have multichannel USB audio and do the Dolby headphone using some hardware in a box, but much more rare since everyone generally builds it into the drivers, which limits your options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page