Headphones with deep cups - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Headphones with deep cups

I bought some Sony XM2 headphones at Christmas and although I thought the sound was ok (not as good as I had expected) I had to return them because the cups were too shallow for my ears. After 30 minutes of wear, the tops of my ears were on fire.

When I returned them to best buy I tried some other headphones but the only ones that fit any better were Bose Q35s. The Bose were really comfortable but the sound was not impressive.

I've ordered some Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless headphones in the hope that they'll have deeper cups but I'd love some other options. Noise canceling and mobility would be ideal but as long as they are wireless the most important things are that they sound good and are comfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The Focal Listen Wireless and Audeze Mobius are two very good sounding wireless headphones with fairly deep earcups.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you bdht. I'll spend some time researching these today.

Any others I should consider? Are the amiron wireless likely to meet my needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
Thank you bdht. I'll spend some time researching these today.

Any others I should consider? Are the amiron wireless likely to meet my needs?
They could ;] sound and fit are very subjective. Beyerdynamic makes good headphones that tend to be a little bright and/or sibilant, i.e. increased amolitude in the 2-10khz range, you may find you want to eq that region down, or you may find you like that sound signature. The fit should hopefully be good, the problem with wireless headphones is they're designed for portability so they're often smaller.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I tend to lean towards speakers that are slightly on the bright side. I would have possibly kept the Sony 1000s if they had fit so I doubt I'll have an issue with the sound quality of the amiron wireless set.

I think it's going to be more about the depth of the cups. I'm surprised the inside cup dimensions aren't published by manufacturers.

I tried a set of sennheisser hd1s and loved the sound. Unfortunately the cups we're too shallow
post #6 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it's going to be more about the depth of the cups. I'm surprised the inside cup dimensions aren't published by manufacturers.
Exactly, even digging through reviews it can be difficult to find ear hole dimensions or descriptions. Changing pads is sometimes an option, but that has a laundry list of variables as well. I sympathize I like nice and roomy ear holes. I added a pair of brainwavz angled pleather pads to my Mobius' and had to make a custom baffle because they sounded like #&$% when removing the ring that the stock pads were mounted to. I should add that the Mobius stock pads are roomy enough and the headset sounds amazing, I just like to tinker.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
The Focal Listen Wireless and Audeze Mobius are two very good sounding wireless headphones with fairly deep earcups.
Hi bdht,

I've read very good things about Audeze Mobius, however, all reviews have described them as gaming headphones. What are your thoughts on that? I'm mainly be using them for music and TV.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi bdht,

I've read very good things about Audeze Mobius, however, all reviews have described them as gaming headphones. What are your thoughts on that? I'm mainly be using them for music and TV.
I use my pair exclusively for music with the 3d on. For me, I found a couple adjustments to vastly improve the sound, but out of the box they're impressive headphones.

They're the only bluetooth planar magnetic(this type of more responsive driver renders the virtual loudspeaker effect better than most dynamics) headphone in existence, and the only bluetooth headphone with a built in convolution engine with head tracking via Waves NX. While it doesn't have the virtual room size of the Smyth Realiser or Out of Your Head, it is much more pronounced then crossfeed dsp, and the head tracking improves the realism, and downright incredible for wireless closed back headphones. Big soundstage!

The builtin eq presets are useful and Waves NX is supposed to compensate for double HRTF of headphones that tollow the Harman curve, but for me I found there to still be to much energy around 2-5khz, which is the same with any headphone I've used with that kind of frequency response when using Out of Your Head. I use the Mobius with a Note8(bluetooth 5.0) and use USB Audio Player Pros built in parametric EQ, when playing over tidal or flac dls. Again this could be a personal preference thing.

When trying different pads and making a custom baffle, I found the angled brainwavz pleather pads to increase soundstage, smooth the treble response which improved imaging. This with the eq made the 3d effect of very high fidelity. They're also deeper and more well padded. So just wanted to add that in my opinion, the performance of the headphone can be further improved if that's something you'd like to try. You can read my headfi posts here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aude...#post-14528330
post #9 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

For TV, that's another story, as you're limited to 2.0 stereo over bluetooth or aux, 7.1 is only over USB. So still similar virtual stereo loudspeakers(more like studio monitors in terms of room size), but no surround sound.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
For TV, that's another story, as you're limited to 2.0 stereo over bluetooth or aux, 7.1 is only over USB. So still similar virtual stereo loudspeakers(more like studio monitors in terms of room size), but no surround sound.
I received the Amiron wireless headset and have been using them for a couple of days. They look ridiculous on my head but they are comfortable. If the sound was amazing I could get by looking like an idiot but I haven't found the sound that impressive. The sound sometimes appears to be coming from just behind my ears and it sounds tinny at times, almost as if the base has been turned down. It doesn't help that the app won't work so I'll probably reach out to the manufacturer to see if there is anything else I can do.

I'm going to see if I can find a pair of Audeze Mobius somewhere to compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page