post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Raal Requisite SR1a

Check these out: http://raalrequisite.com

Raal ribbon headphones(sorry, Ear Speakers) that require a 50w power amplifier to drive. Some headfi/sbaf impressions describe an insane transient response better than electrostats while retaining a sub bass response despite being padless like the akg k1000 or mysphere 3s. My kinda headphone... would be amazing with a Realiser or Out of Your Head.
psuKinger likes this.

Last edited by bdht; 01-09-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Fascinating.

A 50w Headphone amplifier means I will merely marvel at the concept, but never incorporate/own in my own headphones system(s)... but very cool, in concept.

Somewhat OT, but I'm pretty certain that my one big "planned audio purchase" for 2019 is in fact some RAAL ribbon speakers (likely/hopefully Ascend Sierra Towers and matching Middle).

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Fascinating.

A 50w Headphone amplifier means I will merely marvel at the concept, but never incorporate/own in my own headphones system(s)... but very cool, in concept.

Somewhat OT, but I'm pretty certain that my one big "planned audio purchase" for 2019 is in fact some RAAL ribbon speakers (likely/hopefully Ascend Sierra Towers and matching Middle).
I hear that, I've always been drawn to the ascend and philharmonitor speakers, but I went with hifi for headphones instead of loudspeakers since I can rarely listen to music at adequate volumes without disturbing someone ;[ but using OOYH satisfies the want for a speaker like soundstage and this type of headphone would be perfect for that.

$3500 is out of my range for a pair of headphones atm but maybe in the future we'll see other companies make similar products.

It's not necessairly that it takes all that power, its that the impedance is so low, like .04ohm, and it takes a resistor array box to raise it to 4ohm, so still needs a power amp or integrated amp to drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
I went with hifi for headphones instead of loudspeakers since I can rarely listen to music at adequate volumes without disturbing someone
I can relate to that! I've always been more of a speakers guy than a headphones guy, but as life changes I've had to adapt. My best opportunities to *really listen* to my best gear anymore often occur after my two (small) children have been put to bed... that's pretty much how I ended up here. I bought one *decent* pair of headphones in January 2018, and it quickly became clear that I had a new use for quality headphones that didn't exist/didn't apply a decade ago.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Excerpt from a white paper on driving the headphones:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal...#post-14715046
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version