Atmos/DTS:X for headphones AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bdht
  • 1 Post By bdht

post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Atmos/DTS:X for headphones AVR

Hey guys,

On the lookout for a new receiver. I would love a receiver with Atmos for Headphones or DTS X:headphones processing built in within the receiver. Have been looking and looking but can't find anything. Are there any with this feature available? I'll add another one, to those who owns a Denon AVR, have you tried their Virtual Surround mode for headphones and how is it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I havent heard of an avr incorporating actual hrtf/convolution/binaural rendering(See Smyth Realiser A8 or A16) yet, just the "virtual for headphones" which is typically just heavy crossfeed and reverb. It can throw a stereo image out in front of you quite a bit but no surround sound. What's your source? If just a blu ray player there are a few options like the Dspeaker Headspeaker, Sony HW700DS, or some gaming headsets/soundcards that can accept dd/dts 5.1 over optical and use dolby headphone or dts headphone x for virtual surround. If you use a PC your options increase and the effect gets significantly better.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
I havent heard of an avr incorporating actual hrtf/convolution/binaural rendering(See Smyth Realiser A8 or A16) yet, just the "virtual for headphones" which is typically just heavy crossfeed and reverb. It can throw a stereo image out in front of you quite a bit but no surround sound. What's your source? If just a blu ray player there are a few options like the Dspeaker Headspeaker, Sony HW700DS, or some gaming headsets/soundcards that can accept dd/dts 5.1 over optical and use dolby headphone or dts headphone x for virtual surround. If you use a PC your options increase and the effect gets significantly better.
The source is mainly a Nvidia Shield, maybe a gaming external soundcard with dts headphone x could be the answer. Don't know the quality of the sound of those though, and as it will be used for movies and not games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm, actually alot of avrs don't have an optical output and neither does the shield. The hw700ds has hdmi, though if you're after 4k hdr you would need an avr with 2 hdmi outputs, one to the tv and one to the hw700ds as the hw700ds' base doesnt have hdmi 2.0 ports for 4k hdr passthrough. I'm pretty sure the avr can passthrough the audio to the hw700ds but not 100% so I'd recommend more research on that path to confirm.

Any builtin avr headphone surround I've tried though wasnt actual surround sound just crossfeed and reverb instead of hrtf convolution. I've tried denons, yamahas, and sonys.

Truly, the best and easiest headphone surround sound is through a pc, if you can make that happen.
Melih Pekcan likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2019, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Click on link below to see how to install Dolby Atmos on Windows 10.

https://dldolby.blogspot.com/2018/06...-10-64bit.html

ViewSonic PX727-4K UHD DLP Projector
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X (9 Channel) Receiver
Pioneer Floor Standing Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4 and Crowson Tactile Transducers
post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm, actually alot of avrs don't have an optical output and neither does the shield. The hw700ds has hdmi, though if you're after 4k hdr you would need an avr with 2 hdmi outputs, one to the tv and one to the hw700ds as the hw700ds' base doesnt have hdmi 2.0 ports for 4k hdr passthrough. I'm pretty sure the avr can passthrough the audio to the hw700ds but not 100% so I'd recommend more research on that path to confirm.

Any builtin avr headphone surround I've tried though wasnt actual surround sound just crossfeed and reverb instead of hrtf convolution. I've tried denons, yamahas, and sonys.

Truly, the best and easiest headphone surround sound is through a pc, if you can make that happen.
Thanks. Seems difficult to find the optimal solution for this. Don't want to give up the Shield for W10 (with its issues w/ HDR and stuff).
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osundell View Post
Thanks. Seems difficult to find the optimal solution for this. Don't want to give up the Shield for W10 (with its issues w/ HDR and stuff).
Yup... hopefully with the release of the Realiser A16 we'll start to see similar and more affordable products. All they need is a good hdmi switcher/passthrough, the decoders, and a convolution engine based off prir like the realiser or ooyh, they can save on costs by forgoing the personal measurements, head tracking systems, and builtin dac/amp, and just a usb out so you can use any headphones/dac/amp you want, wired, bluetooth/rf, w.e.

I haven't jumped into hdr yet but I did try playing a hdr movie through madvr when I setup a 4k tv for my father a bit ago, everything seemed to play fine, what issues are you talking about with Windows 10 and HDR?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-24-2019, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Yup... hopefully with the release of the Realiser A16 we'll start to see similar and more affordable products. All they need is a good hdmi switcher/passthrough, the decoders, and a convolution engine based off prir like the realiser or ooyh, they can save on costs by forgoing the personal measurements, head tracking systems, and builtin dac/amp, and just a usb out so you can use any headphones/dac/amp you want, wired, bluetooth/rf, w.e.
Yes, we would really need an affordable "home/entertainment version" of the Realiser. The current version has too much professional features and is just too expensive for home users...

The best solution would be (imo) to be able to take the personal measurments at an audio shop with high end equipment and load the personal data on a VSS DSP (software or hardware based). The DAC/AMP choice should be independent from the VSS DSP...
post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIR View Post
The best solution would be (imo) to be able to take the personal measurments at an audio shop with high end equipment
This isn't absurd either with things like Best Buy's Magnolia demo rooms and Atmos auditoriums popping up everywhere. I'd glady pay to get a measurement taken of an 11, 16, 29, or 34 channel system.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-28-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Don't want to take over this thread but I would like to what would the closest standalone headphone to watch movies that have Dolby Atmos and DTS X soundtrack as the Realiser A16 is way above my paygrade

Thanks!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-28-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Don't want to take over this thread but I would like to what would the closest standalone headphone to watch movies that have Dolby Atmos and DTS X soundtrack as the Realiser A16 is way above my paygrade [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Thanks!
Aside from the Realiser there is no device that can decode atmos/dtsx and render 9 channel+ headphone surround sound

Have a read through this if you're interested. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...topics/3034902

tldr:
Atmos/DTS:X Support:
Realiser A16

TrueHD/DTS HD MA using a PC:
Darin Fongs Out of Your Head
Dspeaker Headspeaker if you can find one(not made anymore)
Audeze Mobius

TrueHD/DTS HD MA using a BDP/console/settop:
Sony HW700DS

Lossy Dolby Digital+/DTS, Any device with an optical port and builtin VSS:
Dspeaker headspeaker
Sony DS6500
Bunch of gaming headsets/mixamps
Melih Pekcan likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-07-2020, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Aside from the Realiser there is no device that can decode atmos/dtsx and render 9 channel+ headphone surround sound
Xbox supports Atmos decoding and object-based rendering with Dolby Atmos for Headphones when using the built-in Blu-ray player and UWP applications like Netflix. If you use any other renderer it will only render the 7.1-channel base layer.

Same on Windows 10 - object-based rendering is supported but only for E-AC-3 and in Media Foundation applications like Films & TV and Edge, and only when using the Dolby Atmos for Headphones renderer. I suspect the DTS Headphone:X renderer is similarly locked to DTS:X content, and only in Media Foundation applications, but no such content exists so I can't test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page