Wireless Surround Sound Headphones for Reciever - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By bdht
  • 1 Post By Worf

post #1 of 13 Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wireless Surround Sound Headphones for Reciever

Hello,

I have a Denon AVR-X1400H receiver in my bedroom, connected to 7.1 speakers around the room for multi-channel surround sound. There's 2 main devices connected to this receiver. An HTPC & a Sony UBP-X700 UHD Blu-ray Player, which is used for both disc playback as well as Amazon Prime Video & Hulu.

Late at nights I prefer to put on my headphones for a late night movie or tv show. For quite some time I have been fiddling with various wireless surround sound headphones which go into my various devices. I have an old Sony set which takes TOSLink input for DTS & Dolby 5.1. Also have an LG Artemis Spectrum, which has awesome DTS:X Headphone surround sound, but requires USB Input on PC with LG Software. Also have another LucidSound headphone, also DTS:X, but only works on USB Input in XBOX.

I'm looking for a Multichannel Surround Sound Wireless Headphone (Preferable DTS:X Headphone), that can plug into my X1400H Receiver, so no matter what device I'm using, I get the multi-channel surround sound.

Does such a headphone exist? Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks!!

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The Sony HW700DS but if you're using a 4k display you'll need to use an AVR Key hdmi audio extractor between the source and the AVR.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-21-2019, 09:14 AM

Missed that youre using a htpc, have a look through this https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-h...topics/3034902
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 15
best solution i have settled on is the audeze mobius headphones
post #5 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I may not have explained what I'm looking for clearly.

I'm not looking for a wireless headphone that I can plug into my HTPC. I'm looking for a wireless headphone (DTS:X or comparable) which I can plug into my Denon X1400H Receiver somehow, to receive audio from all sources plugged into my Receiver.

I have an HTPC, XBOX One X & UHD Blu-ray player plugged into my Denon X1400H Receiver.

Currently I use the Logitech Artemis Spectrum (DTS:X) with my HTPC.
Another LucidSounds DTS:X Headphone for my XBOX One X.
And currently nothing for my UHD Blu-ray player.

I would very much like to consolidate into one, single DTS:X (or comparable) headphone which plugs into my Receiver, so that no matter what source I switch to (HTPC, Xbox, UHD Player), I get audio from all into a single device.

I have not been able to find such a solution. Even browsing through this thread.

Thanks.

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-10-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
The Sony HW700DS but if you're using a 4k display you'll need to use an AVR Key hdmi audio extractor between the source and the AVR.
youd put the avr key between the tv and the denon, and connect the hw700ds to the avr key and use the avrs audio passthrough to send audio to the hw700ds, which will decode truehd and dtshdma 7.1 tracks and output binaural stereo(headphone surround).
post #7 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post
So I may not have explained what I'm looking for clearly.

I'm not looking for a wireless headphone that I can plug into my HTPC. I'm looking for a wireless headphone (DTS:X or comparable) which I can plug into my Denon X1400H Receiver somehow, to receive audio from all sources plugged into my Receiver.

I would very much like to consolidate into one, single DTS:X (or comparable) headphone which plugs into my Receiver, so that no matter what source I switch to (HTPC, Xbox, UHD Player), I get audio from all into a single device.

Thanks.

Creative will "soon" be releasing their SXFI TV unit which is exactly what you (and I) want, for the reasons you list. Your AVR HDMI output would go into the creative box, which would output to the TV. It is a very low latency, non bluetooth solution. My only concern is that the headphones will not be high enough quality themselves. I'm hoping they will release a high end version as well.

Link to a preview: https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feat...eative-sxfi-tv
post #8 of 13 Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have an old Sony set
How old is old?

Its the thing about regular 4K versus HDR 4K. If you're set is too old to be HDR, then there's no need to tsktsk the HDMIversion1.4 passthru on the HW700DS. 1.4 will passthru regular 4K well enough, no extractor is necessary.

I have two questions about your Denon AVR:
1) Does it have any surround sound virtualization for headphones? We know the two sound companies brand theirs "Dolby Headphone" and "DTS Headphone:X". Yamaha has their own house brand they call "Silent Cinema" and put in every one of their AV receivers. I've had little luck determining if Denon, Sony, Onkyo, Philips, or Marantz do anything similar to Yamaha for their AV receivers.

Later #1 :
Marantz, per their Owner's Manual PDF, has this:

Virtual

This mode lets you experience an expansive surround sound effect when playing back through just the front (L/R) speakers only, and when listening with stereo headphones.

2) Does it optionally output audio via USB? Seeing a check mark for "USB Audio" on this page = https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...rsht/avrx1400h got me curious.

Last edited by Mister B.M.; 05-10-2019 at 12:19 AM. Reason: New Info
post #9 of 13 Old 05-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B.M. View Post
Yamaha has their own house brand they call "Silent Cinema" and put in every one of their AV receivers. I've had little luck determining if Denon, Sony, Onkyo, Philips, or Marantz do anything similar to Yamaha for their AV receivers.
I've long wondered what Yamaha's Silent Cinema actually does (or is)? My RX-781 manual doesn't say much. For example, does it take a multichannel source (e.g., a video game) and virtualize that in your headphones? Or do you have to also select something like Dolby Surround/DTS Neural:X?
post #10 of 13 Old 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post
Quote:
Yamaha has their own house brand they call "Silent Cinema" and put in every one of their AV receivers. I've had little luck determining if Denon, Sony, Onkyo, Philips, or Marantz do anything similar to Yamaha for their AV receivers.
I've long wondered what Yamaha's Silent Cinema actually does (or is)? My RX-781 manual doesn't say much. For example, does it take a multichannel source (e.g., a video game) and virtualize that in your headphones? Or do you have to also select something like Dolby Surround/DTS Neural:X?
Silent cinema is essentially crossfeed and reverb and it will downmix a multi channel signal to stereo. It will push the stereo image out in front of you a bit compared to normal headphone listening. It is not real time hrtf binaural rendering(dolby headphone, dts headphone x, sbx, sxfi, waves nx, OOYH, Smyth Realiser, etc.)
pg22 and Mister B.M. like this.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How old is old?

Its the thing about regular 4K versus HDR 4K. If you're set is too old to be HDR, then there's no need to tsktsk the HDMIversion1.4 passthru on the HW700DS. 1.4 will passthru regular 4K well enough, no extractor is necessary.

I have two questions about your Denon AVR:
1) Does it have any surround sound virtualization for headphones? We know the two sound companies brand theirs "Dolby Headphone" and "DTS Headphone:X". Yamaha has their own house brand they call "Silent Cinema" and put in every one of their AV receivers. I've had little luck determining if Denon, Sony, Onkyo, Philips, or Marantz do anything similar to Yamaha for their AV receivers.

2) Does it optionally output audio via USB? Seeing a check mark for "USB Audio" on this page = https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...rsht/avrx1400h got me curious.
2003. Does Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1. Headband & speaker foam is essentially worn off and the sound is dismal compared to my newer headphones like Artemis Spectrum & LucidSound, both of which are DTS:X, but Artemis works on PC with USB Port & Software; LucidSound works on XBOX One X using the USB/TOSLink combination. Neither work with a Receiver.

1. None. There is a single "PHONES" jack on the front of the unit which supplies Stereo sound to the headphone connected via the large headphone Jack. No virtualization.

2. No. There is a single USB IN port on the unit which is for connecting USB Drivers which the unit is capable of reading MP3, WAV, etc files to playback.

Thanks.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
480 era, dang. Sony TVs keep on ticking. Sounds like an old WEGA that came with its own infrared wireless headsets.

Quote:
No virtualization.
None either from AVRs from Sony, Onkyo, and Marantz, from what I've seen. All are straight old stereo with no "Sound Field" (think that's one of Sony's terms) options available.

Quote:
Artemis works on PC with USB Port & Software; LucidSound works on XBOX One X using the USB/TOSLink combination. Neither work with a Receiver.
Stating the obvious - you'd have to hang a "box" of some sort off your receiver. (Because all the big dollar gaming wireless units rely on the PC to do the heavy VSS processing, they make the PC the "box"). The discrete boxes from the gaming aisle are the Creative G6, the Astro Mix Amp Pro TR, and the Turtle Beach Elite Pro TAC.
-The Astro has "Dolby Audio" (Dolby's new umbrella term, which has Dolby Headphone as a part of, methinks)
-The Creative has "Dolby Audio"
-The Turtle Beach has DTS Headphone:X and "Dolby Digital" (Whatever that means. Just the lossy codecs?)

BUT,
These are wired solutions. And if your AVR does not have Optical Out, then you're SOL for hanging one of those off. Might as well step down, and hang a MEE Connect off the red-and-whites (Bluetooth wireless for you). Cheap.

Or step up and hang the Sony HW700DS off of the HDMI ARC Out. ~$300. But you get lossless decoding (Dolby and DTS varieties) and virtual surround sound courtesy of Sony's version of Dolby Headphone, called "Virtualphones Technology." Haven't used it much myself, but I set one up once for some fam.

Can somebody confirm me one thing -- are most video games done in Dolby Digital 5.1, or what? My PS3 is in a storage box and I'm waiting to see what the PS5 will bring, so I'm out of the loop this generation.

Last edited by Mister B.M.; 05-10-2019 at 01:11 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Most video games are multichannel PCM. PCM is the native format for audio processing, and HDMI will pass multichannel PCM easily. No need to waste cycles encoding audio when PCM works just fine.

The consoles do contain encoders if you're limited to optical connections, but lag has been experienced.
Mister B.M. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page