Monoprice Monolith THX AAA Headphone Amplifier and DAC - Should I send it back? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Monoprice Monolith THX AAA Headphone Amplifier and DAC - Should I send it back?

I was very excited when I received my Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology. Picked it up on sale at 20% off. I have been using Teac UD301 as my headphone DAC/AMP for the last few years.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459

The performance is good but its missing one critical feature which is annoying the hell out of me. I mostly use bookshelf speakers and occasionally connect headphones. Teac automatically switched the output to headphones when they are plugged in and back to line out when not. In Monolith you have to go to stupid menu and into settings to switch every time you want to switch output. I can still deal with it but wife has no idea how to switch to line out to hear sound from speakers if the output is set to headphones. Now I am seriously thinking of sending it back and losing shipping fees both ways.

I am not sure if this feature can be added later as FW update or not. I posted the question on product page on monoprice but received no response.

Any thoughts

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
I was very excited when I received my Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology. Picked it up on sale at 20% off. I have been using Teac UD301 as my headphone DAC/AMP for the last few years.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459

The performance is good but its missing one critical feature which is annoying the hell out of me. I mostly use bookshelf speakers and occasionally connect headphones. Teac automatically switched the output to headphones when they are plugged in and back to line out when not. In Monolith you have to go to stupid menu and into settings to switch every time you want to switch output. I can still deal with it but wife has no idea how to switch to line out to hear sound from speakers if the output is set to headphones. Now I am seriously thinking of sending it back and losing shipping fees both ways.

I am not sure if this feature can be added later as FW update or not. I posted the question on product page on monoprice but received no response.

Any thoughts

The complicated menu and non intuitive controls on the Monolith are probably the biggest complaints people have with the unit. I really wouldn’t expect any FW changes soon, especially if they haven’t responded to your question.
Sorry if you’re going to return it. If you do, make sure to write a review on their website. This is something more people should know about.
I was thinking of getting one and after reading this, I’m not so sure anymore.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-27-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know this probably too late, but the functionality you want is not possible (at least not on the 4 pin XLR balanced out).

The reason that TEAC could implement this is that some chassis mount 6.3mm jacks will transmit when a pair of headphones has been plugged in. There is no such switch on any 4 pin xlr plugs that I've seen.

Too bad on that unit. It seemed like it had a lot of potential. When they first demoed it at a show it had tons of buggy firmware issues. Seems they didn't fix all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
I know this probably too late, but the functionality you want is not possible (at least not on the 4 pin XLR balanced out).

The reason that TEAC could implement this is that some chassis mount 6.3mm jacks will transmit when a pair of headphones has been plugged in. There is no such switch on any 4 pin xlr plugs that I've seen.

Too bad on that unit. It seemed like it had a lot of potential. When they first demoed it at a show it had tons of buggy firmware issues. Seems they didn't fix all of them.

I was using the RCA outs to connect to amp and than speakers. I ended up returning it.

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2019, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
I was using the RCA outs to connect to amp and than speakers. I ended up returning it.
Probably a good choice to return. I'm seeing lots of complaints on it.

To clarify, the XLR I was referring to was the 4pin XLR out on the front (for headphones). It doesn't have a trigger, so it probably forced them to have that feature be in the software.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-29-2019, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's a shame to see all of the problems mentioned elsewhere about this DAC/amp. I guess I was naive to think that these would be fairly straightforward to make anymore.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-29-2019, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Can anyone comment on how the PEQ works on this headphone amp. An interesting feature. I have Menier's disease. I causes some tinnitus, but my hearing as always in the normal range. Then comes a car wreck, all the airbags going off at once and now I have some > 3khz hearing loss. Not terrible, but definitely there. I read the manual and it seems confusing about how to set eq bands. You set frequency, the db level, then a parameter called Q (width of frequency band). How do you know if Q is right. Seems it should tell you the upper and lower frequency value to the band. Not sure about this. Any my other option is a Schiit Loki, a 4 band analog type equalizer which has an adjustment for >3kz. It's only 149.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page