Sources for Koss Massdrop ESP/95X headphones - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sources for Koss Massdrop ESP/95X headphones

Greetings -

I recently purchased the Massdrop version of the Koss ESP-950 electrostatic headphones. Listening to an Amazon music stream to my iPhone, connected from iPhone headphone to the Energizer's miniplug, it was great. So I thought, okay, I will simply hook up the RCA plugs to my Denon AVR-2500H zone 2 RCA and enjoy everything from my receiver. But of course it's not that easy because this AVR doesn't do DAC on Zone 2 and the only thing I can play into the Energizer with this connection is Amazon music streamed to the AVR via HEOS.

So now I'm in a quandry of how to get sources to the Energizer. I'm particularly focused on my AppleTV (one version before 4K) because that can do most of the content I routinely use headphones for.

Any thoughts on how to get digital content from an AppleTV (pre-4K with HDMI and TOSlink, or post-4K with HDMI only) to the Koss Energizer? One thought I had was the Cambridge Audio MagicDac Plus with the bluetooth add-on, but I have no previous experience with DACs.

All opinions appreciated. Please let me know if a different forum would be more appropriate.

Thanks!
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well, I realized I am within my Amazon return window on the x2500. I may simply return it and upgrade to a used x3500, which I can do for about $250 over what I paid for the 2500. That way more functionality in general and one less component.

Last edited by Andy_H; 04-23-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If your appletv has toslink you could start with any cheap $10 dac with an optical input and a linear power supply.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNNSKV0..._ga7VCbJ5TWSJ6

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU050100M2...o_1953612.html

Last edited by bdht; 04-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Two popular budget dacs in the headphone world right now are the Topping D30 and Schiit Modi.

Both of these you could plug the optical directly into, and they would have an added bonus you can connect a computer as well. I believe they also could be hooked up directly to your iphone via USB but please double check before you purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page