Wireless Surround Sound Headphones - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DJ_JonnyV

post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wireless Surround Sound Headphones

I'm looking for the best pair of surround headphones for listening to movies. I mainly watch movies at night after the wife and kids have gone to bed so it is not worth spending the money on a traditional surround setup. I currently use the Sennheiser RS120 but would like something a little more robust. Ideally I would like something RF that I can connect to my optical port on my LG65UH8500, but if a Bluetooth pair will provide the best sound then I can by a separate Bluetooth box for the TV. I've done a little research but most wireless headphones seem geared towards music, not movies. Since this would be in place of a receiver and speakers my budget is a little higher than normal for a pair of headphones. Any guidance is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Unfortunately, none exist right now. At least, none with HDMI inputs for audio - you can find dinky boxes that take optical and coax and do Dolby digital and DTS, but no current unit does TrueHD or master audio formats.

5 years ago, Sony had the HW7000DS I believe which were wireless surround headphones, but they're no longer sold.

The closest to a headphone processor we have is the much delayed Smyth Realiser A16 which costs a whopping $3500 but will process all audio formats (including 3D like Atmos and dtsX) into any set of headphones. But it is delayed and not out yet.

If you have a htpc, there are various software solutions that work, including out of your head (OOYH) to give a realistic effect.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Unfortunately, none exist right now. At least, none with HDMI inputs for audio - you can find dinky boxes that take optical and coax and do Dolby digital and DTS, but no current unit does TrueHD or master audio formats.

5 years ago, Sony had the HW7000DS I believe which were wireless surround headphones, but they're no longer sold.

The closest to a headphone processor we have is the much delayed Smyth Realiser A16 which costs a whopping $3500 but will process all audio formats (including 3D like Atmos and dtsX) into any set of headphones. But it is delayed and not out yet.

If you have a htpc, there are various software solutions that work, including out of your head (OOYH) to give a realistic effect.
Thanks for the information. My current pair use composite audio run through a box that connects to the optical port on the TV, so almost anything would be an improvement from what I have.

I was looking at 2 different Sony pairs, the MDR-DS6500 and the WH-L600. Both claim to have virtual surround sound but I'm curious how good the effect is. I'm sure either would be a substantial upgrade over what I have, but I'm looking for the best I can get for around $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Not much help here, but reminiscing a bit, back in the day I was in a similar situation of wanting to watch DD / DTS movies with headphones while the kid was sleeping. I had a full 5.1 system, but couldn't really use it after 8-9 p.m. My Marantz reciever had Dolby Headphone built-in and, I swear, it was the best thing since sliced bread back then. Ran the signal into a headphone amp and then into some Senn HD 595s and I was happy as pig crap. Kind of wish Dolby Headphone was still around in receivers.
Radio81 likes this.

DJ_JonnyV
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender174 View Post
I'm looking for the best pair of surround headphones for listening to movies. I mainly watch movies at night after the wife and kids have gone to bed so it is not worth spending the money on a traditional surround setup. I currently use the Sennheiser RS120 but would like something a little more robust. Ideally I would like something RF that I can connect to my optical port on my LG65UH8500, but if a Bluetooth pair will provide the best sound then I can by a separate Bluetooth box for the TV. I've done a little research but most wireless headphones seem geared towards music, not movies. Since this would be in place of a receiver and speakers my budget is a little higher than normal for a pair of headphones. Any guidance is appreciated!

Well, if you don't mind CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES, the Sennheiser RS175 are, IMHO, a great choice for TV/Movie Viewing.

They sound really good, use RF 2.4 Ghz to transmit sound(as opposed to Blue Tooth which has Audio Delay issues(Lip sync problems with video/audio. Some earphones are better at it than others, but not many). And since they are Closed Back, no AMBIENT NOISE leaks in. Meaning when you wear them(unlike the RS120's) you are cut off from all other noise. You are in your own little world.

They have optical, and 3.5mm Analog(red and white) inputs as well.

And they are relatively cheap. Here is link to a pair on EBay(I would go there first to find a pair):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-...QAAOSwQXlcSg6e

The CONS to them is that, if you wear them for a long time, your ears/side of your will get warm/hot. Not much BREATH-ABILITY since they are closed back.

You will also DEFINITELY want to purchase RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES as well for these earphones(AAA batteries).

Here is a link to a great rechargeable battery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-E...k/332303304701

You will want those, and a charger plugged into an outlet in the wall with batteries to go(ready to use), as you will get, maybe, 20-22 hours of total use for each fully charged battery usage.

They sound great. I have two pair myself. They also boast EXTRA BASS boost, and TWO SURROUND SOUND MODES(Virtual). I should also mention you have about a good 25-30ft of walking around with them WITHOUT losing sound(since they use RF, and not DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT).

I have another pair too mention, but they are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE, and I am too busy to go into it.

I would go with those. I will mention the other ones later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page