Help what headset would be compatible with my old TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By STEELERSRULE
  • 1 Post By STEELERSRULE

post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2019, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help what headset would be compatible with my old TV?

Alright I'm really not very tech savvy especially when it comes to the TV I have some gaming consoles one being the PS4 Pro but I have an old flat screen it's from around 2008 it's an Insignia I want to buy a good headset that will disable the tv speakers and only allow for audio to play through my headphone speakers instead.

I've taken a few photo's of the ports in the back of my TV but I can't post them on here because my post count isn't 5 or greater, could you suggest a good (wired) headset that would be compatible with it? cost isn't really an issue.

I tried plugging in my Razer kraken pro headset but no sound came through them.
If I'm not being clear enough in short I want something that will stop the sound from coming out of the TV speakers and instead only have the audio play through the headphones/phone jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 525
What's your TV model number??? If TV has 2 built-in speakers and supports Stereo sound, then it should accept TRS type plug [Tip-Ring-Sleeve]....and likely also mutes built-in speakers when Jack is inserted. If NOT, let us know how it actually works.

[OTOH, IF TV has a MONO Jack [TS type], then an adapter cable to TRS type would be needed, preferably with Mono sound connected to BOTH Stereo Outputs.]

Your headset came with an Adapter Cable that converts TRRS type plug [Tip-Ring1-Ring2-Sleeve] to a separate TRS type plug [Tip-Ring-Sleeve] for (32-ohm) Headphone Input and a second TRS [or perhaps TS] type for Microphone Output. You should plug Headphone's Stereo TRS Jack into TV's 3.5-mm TRS Jack Port:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96...?page=6#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96...?page=5#manual

"Usual" pinouts:
https://pinoutguide.com/Home/Tele35s_pinout.shtml [TRS]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_...TRRS_standards [TRRS variations]

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-22-2019 at 04:26 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 93
On this subject, I have a severe hearing impairment and it’s gotten worse lately. I have a Vizio M70-D3 in my living room that I can’t hear the audio on clearly no matter how long the volume is turned up. I use a TCL Roku TV in MBR and their remote with headphone jack is a heaven sent for me as I am able to hear if the headphone ear bud is in my ear canal along with captions allows me much more enjoyment of this TV. Of course Vizio doesn’t have anything like it so I just read captions.

My question is this: I know there are Bluetooth dongles that are plugged into an audio out on the Vizio (3.5M) and paired with Bluetooth EarPods/ headphones. However, most of these seem to have a maximum volume preset that are not loud enough for me. Can any recommend some Bluetooth headphones or pods that would appear to have a higher max volume? This might be hard to a person with good hearing to determine because it’s gets too loud for them as they approach the higher volume level. Thanks in advance for any help.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-30-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well, if you don't mind CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES, the Sennheiser RS175 are, IMHO, a great choice for TV/Movie Viewing.

They sound really good, use RF 2.4 Ghz to transmit sound(as opposed to Blue Tooth which has Audio Delay issues(Lip sync problems with video/audio. Some earphones are better at it than others, but not many). And since they are Closed Back, no AMBIENT NOISE leaks in. Meaning when you wear them(unlike the RS120's) you are cut off from all other noise. You are in your own little world.

They have optical, and 3.5mm Analog(red and white) inputs as well.

And they are relatively cheap. Here is link to a pair on EBay(I would go there first to find a pair):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-...QAAOSwQXlcSg6e

The CONS to them is that, if you wear them for a long time, your ears/side of your will get warm/hot. Not much BREATH-ABILITY since they are closed back.

You will also DEFINITELY want to purchase RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES as well for these earphones(AAA batteries).

Here is a link to a great rechargeable battery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-E...k/332303304701

You will want those, and a charger plugged into an outlet in the wall with batteries to go(ready to use), as you will get, maybe, 20-22 hours of total use for each fully charged battery usage.

They sound great. I have two pair myself. They also boast EXTRA BASS boost, and TWO SURROUND SOUND MODES(Virtual). I should also mention you have about a good 25-30ft of walking around with them WITHOUT losing sound(since they use RF, and not DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT).

I have another pair too mention, but they are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE, and I am too busy to go into it.

I would go with those. I will mention the other ones later...
rjhseven likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
Well, if you don't mind CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES, the Sennheiser RS175 are, IMHO, a great choice for TV/Movie Viewing.

They sound really good, use RF 2.4 Ghz to transmit sound(as opposed to Blue Tooth which has Audio Delay issues(Lip sync problems with video/audio. Some earphones are better at it than others, but not many). And since they are Closed Back, no AMBIENT NOISE leaks in. Meaning when you wear them(unlike the RS120's) you are cut off from all other noise. You are in your own little world.

They have optical, and 3.5mm Analog(red and white) inputs as well.

And they are relatively cheap. Here is link to a pair on EBay(I would go there first to find a pair):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-...QAAOSwQXlcSg6e

The CONS to them is that, if you wear them for a long time, your ears/side of your will get warm/hot. Not much BREATH-ABILITY since they are closed back.

You will also DEFINITELY want to purchase RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES as well for these earphones(AAA batteries).

Here is a link to a great rechargeable battery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-E...k/332303304701

You will want those, and a charger plugged into an outlet in the wall with batteries to go(ready to use), as you will get, maybe, 20-22 hours of total use for each fully charged battery usage.

They sound great. I have two pair myself. They also boast EXTRA BASS boost, and TWO SURROUND SOUND MODES(Virtual). I should also mention you have about a good 25-30ft of walking around with them WITHOUT losing sound(since they use RF, and not DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT).

I have another pair too mention, but they are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE, and I am too busy to go into it.

I would go with those. I will mention the other ones later...
All of my headphone viewing us done in MBR when I am lying down which eliminates the over the head type because of obvious reasons. Thanks for your help. BTW, have the Sennheiser RS175 and they are very good for regular viewing.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

My question is this: I know there are Bluetooth dongles that are plugged into an audio out on the Vizio (3.5M) and paired with Bluetooth EarPods/ headphones. However, most of these seem to have a maximum volume preset that are not loud enough for me. Can any recommend some Bluetooth headphones or pods that would appear to have a higher max volume? This might be hard to a person with good hearing to determine because it’s gets too loud for them as they approach the higher volume level. Thanks in advance for any help.
You can try this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one, and it works well. I chose this one since it has the latest Bluetooth connectivity available right now.

Just make sure your EARPHONES that you are using have the same latest Bluetooth connectivity built into them, or those features will be useless.

Your blue tooth earphones will work, but you won't be able to take advantage of the latest technology available on this unit. They will just use the backwards compatible features of your earphones.

I "think" you can adjust the VOLUME you are receiving from the Blue tooth unit to your earphones with this unit.

With the (+) and (-) buttons on the unit, a LONG PRESS of the (+) or (-) will adjust the OUTPUT VOLUME from the Bluetooth receiver.

If your earphones have there own VOLUME ADJUSTMENT, set that too Half way(50%) volume on your earphones, and then raise the volume from the Bluetooth adapter accordingly until the sound sounds "LOUD" enough for you at 50% on your earphones. Then just use the earphone volume too raise and lower the volume to your liking.

BUT BE CAREFUL. Make it too loud from the Bluetooth adapter, and the sound going into your earphones will be DISTORTED, and will sound BAD. Also, keep in mind by raising the volume on the Bluetooth Adapter could cause a loss of FIDELITY from the sound your receiving from the TV(meaning it won't sound as good).

There is a "SWEET SPOT", you just have too find it.
rjhseven likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
headset , Insignia , sound , television

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page