Monoprice Monolith M1060 Planar Magnetic Headphones Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yronnen

post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Monoprice Monolith M1060 Planar Magnetic Headphones Review

As we continue through Monoprice’s Monolith headphones lineup, starting with the entry-level M565 headphones, and continuing on to the balanced desktop DAC/Amp featuring dual DACs (as well as dual amps), we have arrived at the M1060. Price-wise, the M1060 sits only $100 above from its younger brother, the M565. Sharing numerous strengths and weaknesses, the M1060 offers a remarkable value. Many of the same sentiments regarding performance are shared between the two offerings, but everything the M565 does the M1060 will do better. Whether it is imaging or bass response, the M1060 offers a markedly improved level of performance for just a slight jump in cost...

Click this link to continue reading: https://www.avsforum.com/monoprice-m...gJDAgQMYuaGkfA

Writer & Reviewer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which one would you recommend for Metal?
Aural Pleasure likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hey there,

thax for the review. I will check them out.

Here are some real great records in the Jazz category. Wes Montgomery with Brothers: Groove Yard, Dave Brubeck :Take Five, Oscar Peterson: We get Requests, Lee Morgan: The Sidewinder, Jimmy Smith: The Organ Grinders Swing.

There are some very good Chesky and Sheffield Lab/ Reference Recordings recordings too.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Metalhead here, I'm pretty happy with my Hifiman 400i and on-screen EQ if we are talking about PC as a source, or a nice DAC that let's you set a P-EQ on it. Reference is great and all, but I like to "tweak to genre". I'm pretty new to the residential / consumer realm, but I don't think there are a lot of DAC + P-EQ options out there in this space unfortunately.

I had to order the headphones just to hear them, so I have no comparison to another Planar Open-Back. But I can tell you that if noise-bleed around you isn't an issue, open back is the way to go! Holy sound stage, Batman. I love mine, paired with a Schitt 2U stack; never had a pair of phones sound so good.
Hifiman has some good reviews out there, and they go on sale for a steal occasionally; maybe google around a bit and you can likely find some comparisons!
Also be weary of the impedance / sensitivity of any Planars vs. Amps you'll use, it can get a bit weird in my experience. For example there are proprietary amps on the real high end of the planar headphone / speaker spectrum with certain brands.

Cheers!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anybody know how the 1060's will work plugged into a Denon 3400 ARV for movies and music? It seems that most all reviews are discussing either PC/phones without any amp- or using a separate headphone amp - they don't mention how they work plugging them into a regular AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page