Sivga wooden headphones for under $100. I'm impressed. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2450
Sivga wooden headphones for under $100. I'm impressed.

I had never heard of Sivga until earlier this year. Read a few things on their wooden headphones and was intrigued. Their line of wooden headphones consists of 6 models, SV002, 003, 004, 005, 006 and 007. The wooden covered ear cups range in 3 different finishes, black, walnut and rosewood. Apparently all finishes are not available for all models. Of the 6 models, three are closed back and three are open back.

Seeing these were available on Amazon for under $90, I decided to try a pair, knowing the generous Amazon return policy made it pretty much risk free. At the time I ordered, the 007 were not available on Amazon. That made the decision a little easier, as I had settled on going with one of the open back models (004, 005,007). After reading reviews and watching videos, I decided the 004 would most likely be best for my needs.

First off, the presentation of the Sivga headphones is top notch. Box has a packaging sleeve over it with pictures and description on the back. The box itself opens from the side, magnetically held shut. Opening the box reveals the hard-shell case, with SIVGA embossed on the top. Inside the case other than the headphones, you get a draw string cloth pouch, which includes two 3.5mm cables (one long and one short with inline mic and controls), 1/4" adapter and a airplane adapter. The cables are braided and the connectors are high quality.

The headphones are absolutely gorgeous. I got the rosewood finish and it really pops. There is little to no plastic on these, almost all metal and aluminum. The ear cups are soft and comfortable, headband has a good amount of padding on it and the ear cups swivel up and down. left and right. They aren't the lightest headphones due to the materials used, but they don't feel too heavy on my head. I have a fairly large head and the clamping force hasn't bothered me in the least. These are comfortable to wear. These being open back there is some sound leakage, but it's not as much as I had expected. They aren't going to block out a lot of ambient noise, so these wouldn't be good for anybody wanting something with strong passive noise cancellation.

Sound wise I was pretty amazed at what these can do for less than $90. The sound is fairly neutral, with perhaps a slight bump in the mid-bass. Highs are clear and very detailed, but not overly bright. Listening to these gave me a great sense of separation of instruments with music. they have a very layered and rich sound without any listening fatigue. I tried these with video games and was also impressed. On PS4 the gunshots, explosions and other ambient effects had impact and clarity. Determining where things were in relation to your character in shooter games was well done. The included in-line mic was clear and plenty loud. These having a detachable 3.5mm cable would also allow a person to use a VMODA BoomPro mic if they chose to, but I think the included inline mic was more than capable.

Overall, these are a slam dunk for their price. I'm pretty hard to impress in general, but I think I may actually like these as much or more than my Sennheiser HD58X, which are similar but more expensive. If anybody is in the market for a $100 or less pair of wired headphones that perform as well as they look, the 004 would be something I would highly recommend. These certainly won't be going back now that I have them.

EDIT: After quite a bit of listening and direct comparing the SV004 to the HD58X, I can say with certainty that while the SV004 is a good pair of headphones that I really enjoy, it can't match the dynamics and overall sound the HD58X offers.

[email protected] likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31, XB22. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6, RK8, RK7, PK5, PH4. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 08-02-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Incredible. Thanks for sharing this I will look into it. I recently spoke to someone who bought a set of Ollo HPS S4, another gorgeous wooden headphone.

Is there any headphone that you know of, aside from 58x, that sound similar to these Sivga? I''m intrigued as well.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 07-23-2019, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page