Headphones for watching movies - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2019, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Headphones for watching movies

Hi folks.

I'm looking for some quality headphones so I can continue watching movies late at night. It doesn't matter if a bit of sound leaks. The headphones will be driven by my Marantz 8012 AVR. I'll be sitting 6 meters away from the TV so I will perhaps need to extend the cable.

Right now I'm unsure how much I should be spending. Does it make sense to spend $$$ if I don't match it with a similarly decent amp? Will the extended cable degrade sound much? Since this is for movies, some decent bass will be important. Looking forward to some replies.

Best regards,

Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2019, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have two pairs of the Panasonic RP-HTF600 headphones. Used them exclusively for watching movies in my previous apartment, and now I use them to listen to music while drumming. Excellent headphones for near $50
post #3 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 645
It depends on how much you want to spend. You can start at around 100 bucks, and go up to the stratosphere in cost. For an extension, I'd get the Grado extension cord. Good cord at a reasonable price. I use Sennheiser 650HD HPs for movies. About 350 bucks. Will you be listening to music as well? If not there are probably cheaper options than the Sennnheiser. I'd check out monoprice.com and their offerings as well.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
It depends on how much you want to spend. You can start at around 100 bucks, and go up to the stratosphere in cost. For an extension, I'd get the Grado extension cord. Good cord at a reasonable price. I use Sennheiser 650HD HPs for movies. About 350 bucks. Will you be listening to music as well? If not there are probably cheaper options than the Sennnheiser. I'd check out monoprice.com and their offerings as well.
Not too concerned about cash here, but as a matter of principle I refuse to waste it. Let's assume 4 price ranges:

< $200
< $500
< $1000
> $1000

As I move up each price bucket, what does one gain, given the constraints above?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chan View Post
Not too concerned about cash here, but as a matter of principle I refuse to waste it. Let's assume 4 price ranges:

< $200
< $500
< $1000
> $1000

As I move up each price bucket, what does one gain, given the constraints above?
If this is for TV listening only I would remove the cord from the picture and get a bluetooth transmitter to plug into the amp, then purchase a decent set of BT headphones. The Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2's are pretty damn good for less than $150.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6 of 11 Old 07-30-2019, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:

< $200
< $500
< $1000
> $1000

Less than 500 bucks, I'd listen to Senneheiser 650 HD. Some prefer the Sennheiser 600 over the 650.
Greater than 1000, Sennheiser 800 HDS (The S is important, and it's a different headphone from the 800HD.)

Many like Focal's offerings, and they can be gotten in similar prices to Sennheiser and they have one the utopia that retails at 3499!

I've never tried planar magnetic. Many rave over them. They eat a lot of power and generally require a powerful dedicated headphone amp. Audeze is a popular brand. Monoprice has some more reasonably priced. Here is the page with their offerings:

https://www.monoprice.com/search/ind...talProducts=10

They also sell some decent headphone amps.

As far as the bluetooth recommendation goes, I do that from time to time. I have Bose QC35s. I bought them for travel, but my LG OLED is capable of bluetooth so I can pair them to that. I use them sometimes strictly for TV. They sound pretty good, but are a bit short of a regular plug in headphone, particularly for movies from my BD player (which is connected to a headphone amp.)

I'd look on crutchfield at their headphone offerings. They have a 60 day return policy. Also check out moon audio. They sell almost all headphones, but don't know about their return policy, but you can see what's generally available. If you have a local hi-fi shop that sells high end stuff, you can maybe go audition some in store.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #7 of 11 Old 07-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I tend to prefer using wired headphones and a BT capable headphone amp/dac like the Soundblaster E5. Best of both worlds, imo.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I often use my Sennheiser Massdrop HD 6XX (a 650 clone) with a generic extension cable plugged into my Emotiva A-100 integrated amp (is excellent for powering headphones). The 6XX are routinely available on Massdrop for about 200$. I also have the HD 58X (also Sennheiser/Massdrop collaboration) and they are perhaps even better for movies (not quite as good, to me, for music). A bit easier to drive than the 6XX, and around 160$.

Overall, any decent open-back headphone in the 150-300$ range should be good for the purpose you describe. Plenty of options out there.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like spending more than 500 isn't going to get me much additional benefit if the application is only movies. In that case I already have some BW P5s that I might re purpose for the job. Thanks for the feedback
post #10 of 11 Old 08-06-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
It sounds like spending more than 500 isn't going to get me much additional benefit if the application is only movies. In that case I already have some BW P5s that I might re purpose for the job. Thanks for the feedback
The P5 was once my "go to" pair of headphones (sadly, since damaged) and I quite liked them for movies. However, if you plan to go more than 2 hrs at a time on a regular basis, some over-ear, rather than on-ear, phones might be more comfortable. That said, nothing beats free.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Senns HD 600/650/6xx need an amp to sound any good. Once that's done, each of these can sound superb for the money. Long term comfort is a bigt plus too. Audeze cans sound very good too, way above any of those Sennheisers, but tend to be less comfy in the long run. For TV I'd probably go wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page