Headphones for my Denon X3400H AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By chiromanted
  • 1 Post By Ovation

post #1 of 18 Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Headphones for my Denon X3400H AVR

Hi everyone, been a while since I have been on this website. I am hoping someone can answer this question on my Denon X3400H AVR. What type of headphone jack power does this unit have? I have found no info in my manual or on the Denon website at all!

Asking because I am looking for my first good set of larger "cans" - see links below ( Beyerdynamics 990 premium or Pro, Seenheiser 600-650, or AKA K702). Many reviews say in their review that headphone X or Y work best with a headphone Amp. Are they talking about using a PC , MP3 player, or a Phone as a audio source so they need a separate headphone Amp or what? I can't imagine that a $1000 Denon AVR doesn't have a decent enough circuitry,etc so that the headphone jack cannot properly power a 250 -600 Ohm pair of headphones. Or am I mistaken? Also if someone thinks a certain headphone will work best that would be great to hear their opinions as well. Music I listen to = Eagles, Pink Floyd, some jazz/easy instrumental music as well as watching 4K/ Blue-ray and streaming movies (Comcast /Amazon prime, Netflicks) . My Ear preferences= I am unhappy with muddy/inaccurate bass or super tinny overpowering shrill cymbals, and I like a larger "stage" with tight accurate bass, musical ( slightly warm and bright) mid-range and treble. I also posted this over on the Denon Area for the Headphone jack question.

SEENHEISER hd600

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SY4H...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Sennheiser HD 650

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018MSNI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

DT 990 Premium, 600 ohm version ( only if it will work - if the 250ohm or even 50 ohm model is better - that is fine)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024NK34O...v_ov_lig_dp_it

AKA K702

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RCD2DW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chiromanted; 08-01-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-03-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 644
I used to have a denon 3311ci. It's headphone jack adequately drove a Sennheiser 650 HD. It will probably drive most any headphone, maybe not to insane levels, but it did a fine job with my 650s. (My anthem drives my 800S just fine as well.)

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 18 Old 08-03-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you- I am so paranoid now I cant believe Denon wont actually tell me what the specs are on the headphone jack and its not in the user manual at all.

Can you tell me what adequately means? As in, the was no huge lower end drop off = to low of Ohm ratio because the headphone jack is putting out 250 ohm and the headphones are rated about the same= bad ratio so bass drops out. 650's are pretty nice headphones- did they sound great - as expected ?? or just OK = not well matched with the Unit because the unit was either to high or low Ohm/voltage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-04-2019, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromanted View Post
Thank you- I am so paranoid now I cant believe Denon wont actually tell me what the specs are on the headphone jack and its not in the user manual at all.

Can you tell me what adequately means? As in, the was no huge lower end drop off = to low of Ohm ratio because the headphone jack is putting out 250 ohm and the headphones are rated about the same= bad ratio so bass drops out. 650's are pretty nice headphones- did they sound great - as expected ?? or just OK = not well matched with the Unit because the unit was either to high or low Ohm/voltage?

I sent denon an email way back and asked them. This was their response.

Quote:
Response Via Email(NJ Customer Service & Support) - 04/21/2011 11:43 AM
I apologize for the delayed response. You can use any headphones on this unit with any impedance. It will definitely support the 300 ohm headphones you're considering.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #5 of 18 Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

yep = generic answer- who knows, maybe they actually don't know or its sooo bad ( 250+ ohm) they don't want anybody else to know.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-05-2019, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yep = generic answer- who knows, maybe they actually don't know or its sooo bad ( 250+ ohm) they don't want anybody else to know.
I have no reason to doubt their answer given it did drive my 300 ohm headphones just fine. The answer came from the engineering department. Typically integrated (except a few that have a separate discrete headphone amp built in) and AVRs just step down the main amplification with resistors, so there is usually no shortage of power.

Yamaha's integrated for example the 1100 is a step down headphone amp, the next higher model the 2100 is a separate discrete headphone amp.

post #7 of 18 Old 08-05-2019, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

OK well I agree I think the Denon receiver jack is not as bad as some of the receivers out there- so hopefully spending 200-300 bucks on a headphone will be worth it. I am still on the fence on which headphone to buy. Amazon has HD600's on sale for $279, Drop has the HD 6xx for $220, the HIFi4XX for $170, and the HD58X Jubilee for $160 - plus because I have never purchased there before - I have an Extra $20 off. So essentially I could get a HD650 for $200.

ahh decisions .. decisions.
Muphasta likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-06-2019, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK well I agree I think the Denon receiver jack is not as bad as some of the receivers out there- so hopefully spending 200-300 bucks on a headphone will be worth it. I am still on the fence on which headphone to buy. Amazon has HD600's on sale for $279, Drop has the HD 6xx for $220, the HIFi4XX for $170, and the HD58X Jubilee for $160 - plus because I have never purchased there before - I have an Extra $20 off. So essentially I could get a HD650 for $200.

One note, if you go the mass drop way, their cables are usually pretty short, more so than the standard 6xx versions. Either way I'd invest in a headphone extension cable. Grado has one for about 40 bucks that works great. I need it to be able to letdown on the sofa and watch a movie.

Later on if you feel the need, you can invest in a dedicated headphone amp. Schiit and monoprice have them that start at 99 bucks, but to be honest I think the Denon will be fine. The main problem now is that most sources (BD players) don't have RCA outs anymore. Oppo does and I use them to go to headphone amp. But watching TV? I have to use the AVR for headphones. (optical from TV to AVR). You have to get to Sony X1100ES or pioneer to get a BD player with RCA out connections, but most are just HDMI so if you use a bd player as a source you are pushed to using an AVR for the headphone jack or use the zone two preouts of an AVR to a headphone amp.

Last edited by glangford; 08-06-2019 at 02:53 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yes , I have been looking at extension cables and see the Grado cable for $40 . which is about 3 times more than other supposedly high end extension cables- is there a difference?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJ7BB93...v_ov_lig_dp_it

or is it like the whole "monster cable" HDMI stuff that I have seen several write up about saying it makes no difference as long as its a well made premium cable.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-06-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes , I have been looking at extension cables and see the Grado cable for $40 . which is about 3 times more than other supposedly high end extension cables- is there a difference?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJ7BB93...v_ov_lig_dp_it

or is it like the whole "monster cable" HDMI stuff that I have seen several write up about saying it makes no difference as long as its a well made premium cable.
I can't speak to that one. I originally bought a custom cable made with Canare wire. I still have it and it works fine, but bought the Grado and I think it was an improvement.

post #11 of 18 Old 08-06-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Been continuing my research and found a headphone to put into my list = Monolith 1060 on sale at Monoprice for $250 . Reviews say it doesn't produce quite the mid range accuracy, but much better at base in movies than the HD600 or 6XX ( mass drop). Since I will be watching movies/TV about 50% of the time late at night with headphones- that is something to consider. Anybody have any experience with these headphones- especially using them on the regular AVR - like my DenonX3400H? Please let me know.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:

From what I've read, the Sennheiser HD58X has better bass capability than the HD6XX and the 58X is easier to drive. This led me to opt for the 58X, plus it was quite a bit less expensive at the time. I've been very happy with the 58X with pretty much anything I have thrown at it. I often use them with my old Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver that I have my PC connected to.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. Status Audio HDTwo. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Elite Atlas Aero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
post #13 of 18 Old 08-07-2019, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Been continuing my research and found a headphone to put into my list = Monolith 1060 on sale at Monoprice for $250 . Reviews say it doesn't produce quite the mid range accuracy, but much better at base in movies than the HD600 or 6XX ( mass drop). Since I will be watching movies/TV about 50% of the time late at night with headphones- that is something to consider. Anybody have any experience with these headphones- especially using them on the regular AVR - like my DenonX3400H? Please let me know.
Monoprice has some good products. They have a headphone amp I''m thinking of getting. The only caution I'd have is being planar magnetic they tend to be big. I know for me I have the 650HD and the 800S by Sennsheiser. The 800S is large, very comfortable but large. It gets a bit in the way if I'm laying down on the couch watching a movie. In that case I default to the 650HD which doesn't have that problem of getting in the way laying down.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
From what I've read, the Sennheiser HD58X has better bass capability than the HD6XX and the 58X is easier to drive. This led me to opt for the 58X, plus it was quite a bit less expensive at the time. I've been very happy with the 58X with pretty much anything I have thrown at it. I often use them with my old Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver that I have my PC connected to.
I have both the 6XX and the 58X. I concur regarding the bass and easier (relatively) to drive. They are "livelier" than the 6XX, though I prefer the latter for critical listening (and for use with some of my gear). For movies, though, I almost always reach for the 58X, precisely because of their livelier sound overall and more pronounced bass response.
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Have been using the 58x for several days now and yes- they are nice - very dynamic with out BOoM BoOM bass. And yes, they get very loud without much distortion when the AVR is turned up only about 50% = easy to drive. So, now if I decide I want something much higher end I know the AVR can work well with a headphones with those same type of specs ( 150 Ohm, etc. ) .
post #16 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 214
On the subject of Monoprice's headphones, I visited their warehouse a couple of months ago with my 15 year old to pick up A LOT of stuff. They have a bit of a showroom and I was happy to try on their Monolith 1060s. While they are a large set of cans, their strap and pads are VERY comfortable. They did not feel heavy at all. My son stated that they pads (cups, whatever goes around the ear) were the softest most comfortable thing he's ever had on his head.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #17 of 18 Old 08-23-2019, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face

Headphones have many types but here I would like to share some best headphones those I have used in my past for the business purpose such as Foldable Stereo Headset With Mic, Big Star Overhead Headphone, Foldable Portable Stretch Headphones, etc. These headphones are best in quality and work for the years.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

NOT looking for mic/gaming/ travel headphones as they are typically not the best acoustically or for comfort. Especially, with those of us with large heads and ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page