ATMOS working with legacy Surround Sound Processor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2019, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ATMOS working with legacy Surround Sound Processor

Atmos-related discovery, which I think might effect some folks with Dolby-licensed sound kit.

Dolby Surround Sound Processor for Headphones: 2010 Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS
Blu-ray player: 2013 Sony BDP-S790

I played my first Atmos blu-ray (Mission Impossible: Fallout) through the prehistoric DSS and headphones,...and IT WORKS! The DSS unit positively indicates with its blue signal light that it recognizes incoming Dolby-encoded audio as incoming Dolby-encoded audio.

I wasn't expecting this. I thought I would have to tell the br player to go with LPCM, or else go get the DVD version.

Dolby must have added some tags to the Atmos business to allow legacy Dolby decoders to get some action. ??? I don't know exactly what's going on inside the litte box before, but I was very happy with the movie experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2019, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B.M. View Post
Atmos-related discovery, which I think might effect some folks with Dolby-licensed sound kit.

Dolby Surround Sound Processor for Headphones: 2010 Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS
Blu-ray player: 2013 Sony BDP-S790

I played my first Atmos blu-ray (Mission Impossible: Fallout) through the prehistoric DSS and headphones,...and IT WORKS! The DSS unit positively indicates with its blue signal light that it recognizes incoming Dolby-encoded audio as incoming Dolby-encoded audio.

I wasn't expecting this. I thought I would have to tell the br player to go with LPCM, or else go get the DVD version.

Dolby must have added some tags to the Atmos business to allow legacy Dolby decoders to get some action. ??? I don't know exactly what's going on inside the litte box before, but I was very happy with the movie experience.
If you had it connected via optical, the bdp was sending a 5.1 lossy ac3/dolby mix, the DSS, decodes, virtualizes, and outputs binaural stereo for headphones. You can probably check what audio is being sent on the blu ray players remote, an info or audio button. In general, if no Atmos decoder is available, audio will default to 7.1 truehd, but if not using hdmi(using optical), usually only 5.1 dolby digital(lossy ac3) is sent.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 7062 Post(s)
Liked: 6071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B.M. View Post
Dolby must have added some tags to the Atmos business to allow legacy Dolby decoders to get some action. ???
The audio for Atmos tracks is stored as lossless TrueHD (on disc) or lossy DD+ (for streaming). Both versions can be transmitted as good ol' DD 5.1 through digital connections (optical or coax). This is built in for backwards compatibility. So you're listening to a 5.1 mix, not the Atmos mix.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page