Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-04-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Sony WH-1000XM3 - buy now?

Hi everyone.

I want to buy some nice noise-cancelling headphones for listening to music. I have my heart set on the Sony WH-1000XM3. I just hope they're not superseded right after I buy, and I'm willing to wait until Jan/Feb 2020. Is now a good time to buy?

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-04-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcavell View Post
Hi everyone.

I want to buy some nice noise-cancelling headphones for listening to music. I have my heart set on the Sony WH-1000XM3. I just hope they're not superseded right after I buy, and I'm willing to wait until Jan/Feb 2020. Is now a good time to buy?

Richard

i bought the sony mdr 1000x which is the first run or the headphones that you are talking about the sony wh-1000xm3\
and I would say that 1000xM3 are so much better better then the first run and have alot of features like on the sony ap; like surround sound emulation and other cool stuff;EQ, and a clean b ass funtion and alot more; so in my opinion, yes it is a very nice pickup for headphones on the go and listening to music; but wont replace headphones like the HSD660s or the DT1990; but I think they are as solid pick up.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am very happy with my Sony WH-1000XM3. I bought my pair when they first came out and have used them in nearly every situation, including football games where the stadium speakers are right behind me. They do struggle just a bit to suppress the bass notes coming from the PA system, but if I press them against my head just a bit to improve the seal they can cope, although I think the microphones are near clipping under those condition.

They really work well in my cube at work, and I find them the only way to concentrate when the cube farm starts talking. My iPhone 6s bluetooth works pretty well, but I found them to be slightly too bass heavy, especially compared to my Sennheiser HD600s.

I have used the bass reduction setting in the iPhone and that helps a lot. I also installed an app called SonarWorks which has some EQ curves that are based upon measurements of each headphone model. The settings for the Sonys flattens the frequency response quite well and they sound much closer to my Sennheisers, with some bass reduction and a bit of high end boost. In addition you can add a small amount of bass boost if you with.

If I want the best quality, I plug them in via a cable to my best headphone DAC, which will still work with noise cancelling, but of course without the low end EQ. They sound the most transparent that way, but frankly, as an audio nut, I find I can listen to them for hours without becoming so irritated at the sound quality that I have to stop. I can do that with very few headphone.

I highly recommend them.

-david BTW

Overall, I use the headphones all the time and I highly recommend them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-28-2019, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Well it's over a year old, and Bose recently introduced their upgraded headphones to try to beat them. Plus they're on good sale for Black Friday.

So I would guess Sony would introduce upgraded ones mid 2020 to compete with the new Bose.

You have to remember Sony was competing against the Bose QuietComfort 35 II and the XM3 was the first time Sony was at least as equivalent to them. Bose then introduced a new set in an effort to beat Sony. I've heard mixed reviews about the new Bose but I admit I haven't been watching them too closely. All I can say is I think right now the Sony would be a good bet since there seems to be some strange things going on with Bose and firmware updates that seem to disable noise cancelling.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sony are being very complacent with the XM3s and I hate that in the tech community. I hope apple leapfrog them and release some over-ears themselves and grab a huge market share to punish them. Riding off old tech and charging the same price for so long is annoying of Sony.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2019, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 591
They've only been around just over a year. The Bose they competed against are much older - they've been around before Sony started competing against them. And the price didn't drop because they were competitive. It was only in the past few months did Bose start dropping the price - basically after they introduced their new model.

I wouldn't call a year stagnation. Especially for headphones where a design can exist for decades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page