Bluetooth headphones for Sony X800/X1000/X1100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Bluetooth headphones for Sony X800/X1000/X1100

I am new to a Sony UBP-X1000ES blu-ray player. Like its range mates the X800 and the X1100ES, it has the ability of pairing with bluetooth headphones. My problem is, with my cheap basic JLab Rewind Retros there is no volume control.

I'd like to upgrade at least one notch, and get a new pair of bluetooth headphones with volume controls.

So I'm here groveling to any other Sony UBP bluetooth-pairers who've gone through the research mode and trial-and-error of finding their best match for a Sony deck. I just have no idea if staying in-brand has any advantage or not,.... so that's kind of one of the things am hoping to get a read on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-27-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

After some more testing & research, some notes to make. Some of this is going to be old news or statements of the obvious to some.. BUT if I save just one little sea turtle, ..

The X1000ES supports 3 bluetooth codecs -- SBC, AAC, and LDAC -- all three being originally intended for audio-only situations.

Missing from that list is Qualcomm's aptX Low Latency codec. That "low latency" part translates to imperceptible lag in the sync between when-you-see-it and when-you-hear-it. So that's the codec you really want for watching movies and TV.

So if one wants to do some occasional video watching via bluetooth headphones, one should optimally have a pair of headphones that support aptX Low Latency. Qualcomm has a list:

Then you'd also need a transmitter that supports aptX Low Latency.
Interesting: Latency testing by Rtings.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/te...tivity/latency

Samsung is the only other marque to have put bluetooth headphones functionality into a UHD player. I got curious, but could not find the answer to what bluetooth codecs the M9500 supports; even the User Manual doesn't say. Any M9500 owners know from experience?

Last edited by Mister B.M.; 10-25-2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Strikethroughing b/c Aptx-LL was the wrong trail for this case; lots of Aptx-LL info elsewhere.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-25-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Goodbye AptX-LL, Hello LDAC-ConnectionPriority

New direction.
Somebody in the same boat - but way ahead of me - said this in a reddit that's informative for anybody with a Sony soundbar/TV/player capable of bluetooth audio output, emphasis mine:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/..._home_theater/
Quote:
I set the bluetooth LDAC setting on the soundbar to normal to start off with. After pairing my headphones with the soundbar (you have to change the mode to transmitter mode) I tested a few shows to check the latency. It was good but still perceivable by a hair. So I dropped the LDAC mode down to “connection priority”. That’s where it hit home. Flawless lip sync, nothing perceivable.
Until this point, I'd thought the raison d'etre for LDAC was just high bit-rate music listening.

The Bluetooth LDAC Mode submenu on my UBP-X1000ES

Aha,...Connection, there it is, fourth one down.

Now I have shifted to research mode for LDAC-supporting bluetooth headphones -- basically, a class of ~10 made by Sony. Hopefully will have determined which models I'm good with so can pull the trigger by BF.

v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

WH-1000XM3 Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
WH-1000XM2 Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
WH-XB900N Extra Bass Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
WH-H910N h.ear on 3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones
WH-H900N h.ear on 2 Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
WH-H800 h.ear on 2 Mini Wireless Headphones
MDR-100ABN h.ear on Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
MDR-1ABT Wireless Headphones

Last edited by Mister B.M.; 11-04-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Added list of Sony's LDAC-supporting headphones models
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page