Digital optical audio headphone? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-15-2019, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Digital optical audio headphone?

I have a Samsung TV (un40h5003afxza) that only has an optical audio port on the back and I need to get whatever is required so I can hook up wireless headphones. This is only needed while I'm using a treadmill which is loud enough that the TV volume would have be turned up way too high.

I'm totally lost on what I need. Can anyone recommend something from Amazon? I need headphones, transmitter, etc. I would like to keep it pretty cheap since it's only used for exercise, not for music, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2019, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianQuest View Post
I have a Samsung TV (un40h5003afxza) that only has an optical audio port on the back and I need to get whatever is required so I can hook up wireless headphones. This is only needed while I'm using a treadmill which is loud enough that the TV volume would have be turned up way too high.

I'm totally lost on what I need. Can anyone recommend something from Amazon? I need headphones, transmitter, etc. I would like to keep it pretty cheap since it's only used for exercise, not for music, etc.
Which wireless headphones? Do you have them already? Google optical to RCA, several cheap dacs will come up. here's one. Make sure you get one with a wall plug for power, some are for used with computers and use usb power.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital.../dp/B01AWBA8U8

If you are using bluetooth, that would be a different adapter, but google optical to bluetooth transmitter. That's a more expensive proposition.

Here's one has a micro usb charging cable, I assume you can use with a cell phone wall plug. Can use while charging.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-Blue.../dp/B00QV77YIC

I'd probably go the bluetooth route. Many more options for headphones, in ear, over ear, etc.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 10-16-2019 at 03:54 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll check that out. This is what I currently have...

Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Over Ear headphones Stereo Deep Bass Wireless+Wired Headset

TaoTronics Wireless Portable Bluetooth Transmitter Connected to 3.5mm Audio Devices, Paired with Bluetooth Receiver, TV Ears, Bluetooth Dongle, A2DP Stereo Music Transmission

Before I moved I could plug the transmitter into my wireless ATT Uverse cable box to make it work. But now I have Consolidated cable TV it won't work anyway I try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well I bought the "Musou Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter with Fiber Cable" as recommended, hooked up the cable to the TV's optical port, plugged it in and then plugged in my analog transmitter into the RCA ports. I can make the transmitter say "Connected" or "Unconnected" but no matter what I can't get any sound to my headphones.

Seems stupid to not have RCA outputs on the TV, but even more stupid to use the optical port to convert back to analog. Guess I have to ditch everything and try all digital optical.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-19-2019, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I bought the "Musou Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter with Fiber Cable" as recommended, hooked up the cable to the TV's optical port, plugged it in and then plugged in my analog transmitter into the RCA ports. I can make the transmitter say "Connected" or "Unconnected" but no matter what I can't get any sound to my headphones.

Seems stupid to not have RCA outputs on the TV, but even more stupid to use the optical port to convert back to analog. Guess I have to ditch everything and try all digital optical.
Sorry that didn't work, it should have. I don't know your TV, but make sure that optical is selected as the audio output. I know on my LG OLED TV you have to select optical, internal, or optical+internal for sound output. If that doesn't work the converter or headphones are the culprit.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

This will be delivered Sunday and should work...

"
Avantree HT5009 Wireless Headphones for TV Watching w/ Bluetooth Transmitter 164ft Range - Digital OPTICAL RCA AUX, Headset Hearing & Home Stereo Sound Simultaneously, 40Hrs Battery, No Audio Delay"
post #7 of 9 Old 10-20-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This will be delivered Sunday and should work...

"
Avantree HT5009 Wireless Headphones for TV Watching w/ Bluetooth Transmitter 164ft Range - Digital OPTICAL RCA AUX, Headset Hearing & Home Stereo Sound Simultaneously, 40Hrs Battery, No Audio Delay"
Hope so.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-20-2019, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Hope so.

I had a slight hiccup as there are two optical ports on the new transmitter. I first plugged it into the white one and it didn't work, but then I noticed there was a black port and wham! it worked perfectly. The instructions were really good but they didn't actually say which port to use for headphones and the video didn't say which one but looking at it again it seems to favor the white port.

This is a real upgrade on what I had!

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had a slight hiccup as there are two optical ports on the new transmitter. I first plugged it into the white one and it didn't work, but then I noticed there was a black port and wham! it worked perfectly. The instructions were really good but they didn't actually say which port to use for headphones and the video didn't say which one but looking at it again it seems to favor the white port.

This is a real upgrade on what I had!

Thanks!
Glad it worked out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page