Apple Announces Airpods Pro with Noise Cancellation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Adamd
  • 2 Post By jlseed
  • 3 Post By cgramer
  • 1 Post By tnargs
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 17 Old 10-28-2019, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Apple Announces Airpods Pro with Noise Cancellation

Apples AirPods are incredibly popular, however they lack the ability to cancel ambient noise—a niche where Bose reigns supreme with Sony as a strong challenger. All that has changed now that Apple has announced the new AirPods Pro. These new earbuds will cost $249 and have a new design featuring flexible ear tips in addition to active noise canceling.

Click here to read more.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-29-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Apples AirPods are incredibly popular, however they lack the ability to cancel ambient noise—a niche where Bose reigns supreme with Sony as a strong challenger. All that has changed now that Apple has announced the new AirPods Pro. These new earbuds will cost $249 and have a new design featuring flexible ear tips in addition to active noise canceling. This should make the AirPods Pro an ideal travel companion.

Check out these cool new earphones by clicking here.
I'm considering a pair. It sure would make airline travel easier as opposed to toting around bose qc35s. The 5 hour listening limit is a bummer though. If you flew to Europe you're going to be about 3 hours short of the plane ride. Most my flights that are business related are in the 2-3 hour time frame.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Quote:
Apples AirPods are incredibly popular, however they lack the ability to cancel ambient noise—a niche where Bose reigns supreme with Sony as a strong challenger. All that has changed now that Apple has announced the new AirPods Pro. These new earbuds will cost $249 and have a new design featuring flexible ear tips in addition to active noise canceling. This should make the AirPods Pro an ideal travel companion.

I'm considering a pair. It sure would make airline travel easier as opposed to toting around bose qc35s. The 5 hour listening limit is a bummer though. If you flew to Europe you're going to be about 3 hours short of the plane ride. Most my flights that are business related are in the 2-3 hour time frame.
After they die you would just need to drop them back in the case for 10-15 mins and you would be good for the rest of the flight.
imagic and mik2h like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
But how does the sound quality compare with others like it?
cgramer and veronica.brooke like this.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Last paragraph:

Quote:
Airpod Pros ship with three different size silicone tips and switching between them is as easy as snapping the mom and off, unlike the fiddly your tips you find on most IEMs.
Who's snapping the mom?
imagic, mik2h and veronica.brooke like this.

Pioneer SX-680 receiver (soon to be replaced by Outlaw Audio RR2160 "retro receiver")
Yamaha NS-A2835 speakers (soon to be replaced by Klipsch RP-600M speakers and dual Rythmik L12 subs)
Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
post #6 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Wired earbuds with noise cancelling exist, some without batteries. But $250 gets you the new shiny!
post #7 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 01:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:

I’m curious how the noise cancelling fairs to the QC35. Agreed, it is a little cumbersome bringing these on the carry-on.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm interested in the special claims Apple make for comfort. Are these any different to the other brands?

"Internally tapered tips"

"Vented to equalize pressure"

Regarding battery life, yes they say 4.5 hrs, but then Apple goes on to say "more than 24 hours of listening time with multiple additional charges in the case." I presume that means the case is a power bank.
imagic likes this.

It's only a hobby
post #9 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgramer View Post
Last paragraph:

Who's snapping the mom?
Haha gotta love speech recognition... spellcheck has no clue!
cgramer likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5185 View Post
I’m curious how the noise cancelling fairs to the QC35. Agreed, it is a little cumbersome bringing these on the carry-on.
Based on a few early unboxing first impressions the NC is not as good as on ear or especially over the ear headphones. Pretty much can't be by design limitations.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #11 of 17 Old 10-29-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked: 2060
read somewhere else these have dsp based on ear canal shape/size....interesting...

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #12 of 17 Old 10-30-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
Regarding battery life, yes they say 4.5 hrs, but then Apple goes on to say "more than 24 hours of listening time with multiple additional charges in the case." I presume that means the case is a power bank.
Yes. You charge the case, and the case charges the earbuds. That way the only fiddly bit is inserting the buds into the case so it can charge. And the case keeps them together so you don't lose one.

Hopefully they can work like the previous, where you can use them for extended calls - people have found you could put one in the case, and chat while using the other one, then swap them while on the call. Even if you're running low a minute or two will add a few minutes so you can swap between them.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Based on a few early unboxing first impressions the NC is not as good as on ear or especially over the ear headphones. Pretty much can't be by design limitations.
I have to wonder if the ability to vent and equalize pressure is responsible for NC not being as good as over the ear headphones.

On another note, I almost updated the FW in my QC35 v1. As the process started I went to the website and alot of users were complaining that the FW messed up NC and made it much less effective. I stopped the processes of updating (still in download phase) and deleted the connect app from my iphone so it would never try again.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #14 of 17 Old 10-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I ordered mine the same day. Mine will get delivered today. I have Beats noise cancelling, but will carry this one on my upcoming trip to Africa. Hope this works as well as my Beats Noise Cancelling.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-04-2019, 08:45 PM

Liked: 0
does the sound quality of the airpods will be better than its previous version?
post #16 of 17 Old 11-05-2019, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashi View Post
does the sound quality of the airpods will be better than its previous version?
Reviews say it is better. But I also noticed a significant number of 1 star reveiws on apple's website due to non functioning units. Maybe some qc problems?

I started to pick up a pair this weekend. Seems my apple store is sold out, and they quote Nov 27 delivery, so they must be going fast.

post #17 of 17 Old 11-06-2019, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMouse View Post
Wired earbuds with noise cancelling exist, some without batteries. But $250 gets you the new shiny!
Good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
airpods , airpods pro , Apple

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page