Recording with mic mute. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-22-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recording with mic mute.

I'm experimenting with recording technologies to help a work application easier. This will seem morbid, but it's a real world need. I need to document data outside for about an hour per day as hands free as possible;picking up deceased trout (document the quantities for 104 locations); go inside and re document them onto a monthly chart. The purppse is to maintain inventory for proper feeding, stocking planning, etc. Currently, one member of our crew will carry a five gallon bucket in one hand and a mortaility net in the other; a board and pencil in his or her pocket. We walk around the hatchery and stsrt picking up deceased fish from the lower-end screens where they all end up when they expire. After picking up from about three locations, because that's about all we can remember, we have to set both tools down; grab the board and pencil and document the quantities and locations; re pocket the board and pencil, pick up the tools; and continue. I first tried my cell phone with about three different recording apps. I tried Otter whcih will convert to print, but it requires data usage and terrible translation. I finally found one recording app that has voice activation, but the environment is so loud (water running and clinking and clanking) that the recording continues solid during times I don't speak; so I end up having to continually push the pause and resume recording buttons as I move throughout the Hatchery kust as I do with an app without voice activation. I then found a gaming headset with a mic mute, but the switch was so tiny and fragile to mute and unmute that it took both hands to toggle and required strongfinger nails; the switch soon broke. However, that method did work other than once I pocket the cell phone after starting the session in mute mode, I can't tell if it is working. On day three, I accidentally reversed it and spent the whole session recording when I wasn't speaking and muting when I was speaking. So I recorded no words.

I've found a headset or two shopping online that one can mute by moving the mic itself up and away from one's mouth and back down to unmute which should activate the recorder in voice activation mode and pause when muted. I think this would work for only one hand or even an arm and make the process easier but have given up on the additional technology that would turn the recorded voice into print, which would take away one of our steps for documentation.

I've also been looking at recorders so that we're not using our personal cell phones with an installed app, but there seems to be too many issues like having to replace batteries often and no rewind function until getting way up there on price.

Any ideas or suggestions or products I'm not considering would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page