AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Headphones (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-headphones/)
-   -   Dirac Unveils Headphones App at CES 2020 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-headphones/3119102-dirac-unveils-headphones-app-ces-2020-a.html)

imagic 01-27-2020 06:06 AM

Dirac Unveils Headphones App at CES 2020

“Our new solution takes an experience once reserved for the few and makes it available to the masses – enabling the world to experience immersive, adaptive, and maximized sound from smaller devices than ever before,” said Dirac co-founder & CEO Dr. Mathias Johansson.

Click here to read more.

rdeyoung 01-27-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 59159246)
“Our new solution takes an experience once reserved for the few and makes it available to the masses – enabling the world to experience immersive, adaptive, and maximized sound from smaller devices than ever before,” said Dirac co-founder & CEO Dr. Mathias Johansson.

Click here to read more.

Where can I download the app? Or is it released yet?

imagic 01-27-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdeyoung (Post 59160796)
Where can I download the app? Or is it released yet?

Initially it won't be a download for just any phone, the app will ship with specific phones. Eventually there should be an app for other phones, according to what I was told.

Daniel Chaves 01-27-2020 05:28 PM

I know this is different but it reminded me of DTS-X headphones and man I wish that took off because listening to some of those demos where I was wearing in ear headphones and the sound as clear as day sounded like it was behind me, above me, and so on was outstanding. To bad that never developed into a real time algorithm but probably require a lot of processing power that cellphones just dont have.

Anyhow looking forward to when this finally becomes a downloadable app. :)

Jmatt110 01-28-2020 04:23 PM

Isn't this the same thing Sonarworks have been doing for a while now with True-Fi?

pbarach 01-30-2020 04:54 AM

Audyssey did this years ago, but then they discontinued the app.

Elvis Is Alive 01-30-2020 01:40 PM

I have those Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones in the picture of the app in the article. Excellent wireless ANC over-the-ear cans. Looking forward to using that app when it releases

Jmatt110 01-30-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive (Post 59175880)
I have those Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones in the picture of the app in the article. Excellent wireless ANC over-the-ear cans. Looking forward to using that app when it releases

Check out the Sonarworks True-Fi app, I have the same headphones and it works great with them, they have WH-1000XM3 profiles for wired and Bluetooth mode.

Worf 01-30-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach (Post 59173068)
Audyssey did this years ago, but then they discontinued the app.

As well they should.

It started as a paid app, and it went free briefly. But you could have unlimited headphones and everything - you paid once and that's it. And by headphones, I meant specific models - you selected the model you had and it would download the Audyssey profile for that headphone.

Then they updated it and made it so you had one free headphone profile and had to pay $3 for every other headphone profile you wanted to add. Their suggestion was paid users back up the old version of the app, and use it to download extra profiles then upgrade the app to get the features back.

It was an epic fail moment and the app went from 4.5 stars to 1 star as people who paid $5 for the app at first now had to keep paying and paying for what they used to enjoy for free.

Yes, I was one of them.

thehun 02-01-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmatt110 (Post 59166552)
Isn't this the same thing Sonarworks have been doing for a while now with True-Fi?

My first thought was exactly, but SW only compensates for FR problems no "secret sauce added".

thehun 02-01-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 59159246)

Click here to read more.

Is there a list which headphones are supported besides that Sony?