Heddphone: Full Range AMT Driver Headphones at CanJam 2020 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By bdht

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2020, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9399 Post(s)
Liked: 16682
Heddphone: Full Range AMT Driver Headphones at CanJam 2020

The most interesting headphones at CanJam 2020 are also the first in the world to use full range AMT Drivers. They are from HEDD, aka Heinz Electrodynamic designs that makes high accuracy professional studio monitors. These rather large and power-hungry headphones (you need at least a watt of power to get them going and they can handle a lot more.

I tested a pair of Heddphones on the spot, using various projects in the Blocs Wave app on an iPad Pro. That let me isolate various elements like drums, vocals, synths & bass and hear how these headphones handled them. The result? An intoxicating, addictive listening experience that begs one to turn it up and revel in the clean, spacious and impactful sound. It was, in a word, incredible.

I spotted Steve Gutenberg running off with a pair from the show floor. Lucky him, those might be the best sounding (And at the minimum, the most exciting sounding) cans at the show. Not bad for a product that’s the first of its kind. Check out the interview…

bdht and TuteTibiImperes like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Technically, it's not the first full-range AMT headphone. ESS made a pair in the 1970s that were the first. I have little doubt these are better if they managed to avoid the pitfalls that the ESS's had, however. (They are also notoriously difficult to find information on, since their newer releases dominate internet searches now.)

Spoiler!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2020, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Any plans for reasonably-priced models? $2K for headphones is a bit high..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2020, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Audiophile is an expensive game

Yeah, my Audeze LCD-3 is $2000, and it pairs with a $1700 Chord Qutest DAC + $4000 Cayin HA-300 tube amp. But I am probably going to upgrade to either the LCD-4, ZMF Verite/Verite Closed, Meze Empyrean, and/or Focal Utopia.

Gotta get that end game!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gunawan View Post
Gotta get that end game!
Smyth Realiser to Audio-GD multibit balanced combo to Raal SR1a for me. I just bought a sim2 though so its going to have to wait:[ In the meantime my current OOYH to audio-gd delta sigma balanced combo(on a topaz isolator with an uptone/amanero usb transport) to audeze el8 with dekoni lcd velour pads is an incredible and nearly perfect setup, I can eek out more detail and improve staging/imaging with the raals and multibit dac and the personal measurements of the realiser or impulcifer will improve the loudspeaker emulation drastically
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
amt driver , headphones , heddphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page