Monolith by Monoprice M565 Over Ear Open Back Planar Magnetic Headphones - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2020, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Monolith by Monoprice M565 Over Ear Open Back Planar Magnetic Headphones

Hey all

Just wanted to know if anyone had a pair of these and what they thought of them. If you all have any other suggestions I would be open to it as well.
For equipment I will be using my Emotiva Bas-x A-100 to power them the source would be my U-turn turntable with an Ortofon 2m Blue and a Marantz cc4000ose.

I'm looking to stay under 200$ they will be for late night listening. Not worried about an open back design I'm far enough away from everyone where that wouldn't be a problem, just cant blast my speakers so looking for another way to listen to music late at night.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 296
the m565s are a little small, small ear holes and not easy to swap pads

for planars i like these with the dekoni lcd pads(velour for me)
https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he...tic-headphones

you can also find used audeze el8s for under 200

for dynamics
the sennheiser hd6xx
akg k7xx
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
the m565s are a little small, small ear holes and not easy to swap pads

for planars i like these with the dekoni lcd pads(velour for me)
https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he...tic-headphones

you can also find used audeze el8s for under 200

for dynamics
the sennheiser hd6xx
akg k7xx

I just bought the he4xx and so far really liking them.

I have Foobar (Flac Files) --> HiFime UAE23HD USB DAC (ES9018K2M+SA9023) --> he4xx.

I do want a longer cable than the stock one though.

I am also going to test out the following with the headphones when I have time.
1) Foobar (Flac Files) --> Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m) --> he4xx.

2) Picoreplayer --> Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m) --> he4xx
Case - Flirc Raspberry Pi 2 and B+ Case
DAC - Hifime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m)
Power - iPower Low Noise DC Power Supply with International Travel Adapters by iFi Audio (5V)
OS - PiCorePlayerfime S2 USB and SPDIF DAC (Sabre ES9038q2m) --> he4xx.

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings

Last edited by cburbs; 04-07-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
I am also going to test out the following with the headphones when I have time.
Ive generally found a couple small very cheap tweaks can make a very nice difference in detail/tansparency, imaging, and staging for all qualities of components.

First is some type of isolation between the pc and the dac chip, either spdif toslink or spdif coaxial, optical has complete electrical isolation though higher jitter and coaxial uses a small isolation transformer(still some leakage but better than nothing, and lower jitter). If the digital to digital converter(DDC, usb to spdif/i2s/etc) has a decent low noise linear power supply and upgraded oscillator all the better.

Putting a hub chip before the usb input of the dac or ddc improves the usb signal integrity and reduces phy noise generated by error correction.

The ifi power supply is low noise but the output impedance is much higher and really masks micro detail for imaging/staging. The jameco linear supplies are decently low noise but have much better output impedance and are 1/4 the price.

If possible using low inductance quadrapole/star quad) dc cables into various digital components significantly reduces noise generated by the varied current draw of digital signals. Make em yourself for a couple bucks or find someone that will make them for cheap. Same goes for ac power cables for digital components. The varied current draw causes a noise generating voltage to develop across the inductance of the cable, lower inductance, lower noise.

And last removing as much common/traverse mode noise on the ac line as possible. It can be a bit more complicated but ive had a great experience with using Topaz line noise suppressing isolation transformers, very small 125va 250va units for headphone systems can be found for $30-80. Though it is imperative that full electrical isolation from the pc is used with these via toslink optical, as coaxial, ethernet, and usb isolators dont completely block high/low impedance leakage currents without the use of very specific and more expensive($250 used 400 new) power supplies. Theres also caution with the neutral line on the secondary, if grounded a gfci on the output is mandatory, if isolated the only risk is if 2 ungrounded metal chassis are used with ac inputs, and v+ shorts to chassis 1, v- shorts to chassis 2, and a person touches both chassis at the same time. A rare possibility but better to be informed.

Example system:
PC USB >

Uptone USB Regen, powered by a Jameco LPS, the jameco feeds into a lt3042 regulator and then a star quad dc cable into the regen. The usb regen is a hub chip on steroids, with an upgraded xo and regulators, you can often find them used for $50.

Regen into a Breeze DU-U8, a ddc eith tcxo and lps

Optical from the duu8 to an Audio-GD NFB-11.

The NFB11 is the only component on a topaz 91092-32 and I use a star quad ac cable as well.

End result is perfect clean lifelike audio. While it doesnt have the absolute rendering of a balanced system with vastly upgraded power supplies and an i2s signal to the dac chip, it quite literally sounds better than those superior components if they dont also have the same tweaks.

I also use the hifiman he400is with this system, with some mods:
-dekoni lcd velour pads
-custom rear grills with 1/4" opening and very open cell foam
-sorbothane lined inner cups
-melamine fuzzors on the rear magnets(which i wouldnt recommend as it can be less reversible)
post #5 of 5 Old 04-07-2020, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smc79 View Post
Hey all

Just wanted to know if anyone had a pair of these and what they thought of them. If you all have any other suggestions I would be open to it as well.
For equipment I will be using my Emotiva Bas-x A-100 to power them the source would be my U-turn turntable with an Ortofon 2m Blue and a Marantz cc4000ose.

I'm looking to stay under 200$ they will be for late night listening. Not worried about an open back design I'm far enough away from everyone where that wouldn't be a problem, just cant blast my speakers so looking for another way to listen to music late at night.

Thank you
I have that amp and I have the Massdrop HifiMan HE-4XX, Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX, Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X, and (my kids each have) the Massdrop AKG K7XX. The A-100 drives each of them well, though it best matches the HD6XX and HD58X in my modest collection, as they are 300 and 150ohm respectively (the A-100 has a relatively high output impedance for headphones, compared to many dedicated headphone only amps). The differences are fairly subtle, though, and I think anything other than really low impedance phones would be fine. My wife's Grado SR225e are 32ohms and they sound find with the A-100 as well.
Just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page