Bluetooth Headphones for TV, Movies, Netflix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ovation

post #1 of 16 Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bluetooth Headphones for TV, Movies, Netflix

When it comes to watching TV, Movies, or Netflix without lag it appears you need Bluetooth headphones that have the aptX-LL codec severely limiting your choice of headphones... with brands like Avantree, Artiste, and others. Maybe they're decent for their purpose but ideally there's so many other choices if you're not limited to aptX-LL headphones.

However I've read comments about various Bluetooth headphones having just the aptX codec saying no lag was noticed when watching TV or watching Movies... guess can't remember anything about Netflix though. As an example I've read some people say Sony's WH-1000XM3 are fine for watching video and other's say lag is pretty noticeable.

Does this come down to people hearing/perceiving things differently whereas some people might not notice lag, or could possibly the quality of the headphones themselves make a difference?

Basically if you want to eliminate noticeable lag is it imperative you have Bluetooth headphones with the aptX-LL codec, or will there be some instances when the aptX codec will be sufficient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You could get a bluetooth headphone amp that supports aptX-LL like the Fiio BTR3 or BTR5. One of those and some wired headphones would be my choice over any set of BT headphones.

From my own experience, I sometimes use a Creative Soundblaster E5 bluetooth headphone amp which is paired with my Nvidia Shield TV. I believe the E5 only supports up to aptX-HD. I sometimes notice lag in the audio, but sometimes I don't. I don't really use it enough for it to be an issue.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-07-2020, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions but I’m not interested in going a wired direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-07-2020, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoady View Post
Thanks for your suggestions but I’m not interested in going a wired direction.
I have the uBTR (an entry-level version of the ones mentioned above) specifically for Bluetooth headphone audio for late-night TV watching--zero lag with my TV's Bluetooth output. It's very tiny (as are the others) and I clip it to my shirt. I use my wired headphones (that's true) but they are not stretching across the room. If you want a totally wire-free experience, that's totally understandable, but I just wanted to point out that using one of the Fiio Bluetooth amps could be a "wireless" (or nearly so) option if you already have some regular headphones you really like. Sometimes (like my buddy when I first told him about my Fiio uBTR) Bluetooth amps can be imagined as a thing that needs to sit on a desk or shelf, whereas the BTR series are small and portable. Mine is apt-X only and works fine. The others have more advanced apt-X LL, so probably work even better.

My nephew has the Sony WH-1000XM3 and swears by them (no lag).

Just my 2 cents.
SuperFist and Radio81 like this.

Last edited by Ovation; 04-07-2020 at 10:21 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Basically if you want to eliminate noticeable lag is it imperative you have Bluetooth headphones with the aptX-LL codec
Correct, all others have a higher lag, see the latency part in this link
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/le...ec-is-the-best
post #6 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

@
Ovation thanks for explaining your setup and I think in years past I'd probably jump all over something like one of the Fiio's because it sounds pretty slick. On the other hand at my age I'm kind of past chasing the Holy Grail of audio and since I don't currently have any decent wired headphones wireless is just simpler... yes I know it's a downgrade. I am considering the Sony WH-1000XM3's or waiting until the 4's are released hoping for the latest codecs so it's interesting to me when you say no lag. That was part of my original question because in reality the Sony's should have lag (no Aptx-LL) but is it possible higher end headphones maybe mask it better where it's not perceived as much?

@
Roseval
Thanks for the reply and link!
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@
Ovation thanks for explaining your setup and I think in years past I'd probably jump all over something like one of the Fiio's because it sounds pretty slick. On the other hand at my age I'm kind of past chasing the Holy Grail of audio and since I don't currently have any decent wired headphones wireless is just simpler... yes I know it's a downgrade. I am considering the Sony WH-1000XM3's or waiting until the 4's are released hoping for the latest codecs so it's interesting to me when you say no lag. That was part of my original question because in reality the Sony's should have lag (no Aptx-LL) but is it possible higher end headphones maybe mask it better where it's not perceived as much?

@
Roseval
Thanks for the reply and link!
To be fair, while I've listened to music on my nephew's Sony XM3s, I've not used them to watch anything. However, despite the lack of aptx-LL on my uBTR, I've not noticed any lag (and I'm only 3 feet from the TV--I want the "immersive experience"--when I use it for that purpose, so I notice lag if it's there). Not trying to push the Fiio option further, but pointing out the LL version, while desirable, might not be necessary.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 740
On occasion I use Bose QC35 headphones for TV watching with my LG OLED. I get no lag with TV, but some slight lip sync with Netflix. Normally, I prefer a wired connection and I have a couple of headphone extension cords to use with my two wired headphones.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #9 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
To be fair, while I've listened to music on my nephew's Sony XM3s, I've not used them to watch anything. However, despite the lack of aptx-LL on my uBTR, I've not noticed any lag (and I'm only 3 feet from the TV--I want the "immersive experience"--when I use it for that purpose, so I notice lag if it's there). Not trying to push the Fiio option further, but pointing out the LL version, while desirable, might not be necessary.

Yeah not interested in Fiio option but still curious about lag... do you think it's possible you're not getting lag with your non aptx-LL Fiio because using starting out with a wired headphone?
post #10 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have the Sony WF-1000XM3 wireless earbuds and there is definitely around 150ms of delay in audio. This is inline with aptX HD specs. For music they are outstanding though.

I think delay is likely increased with additional processing (device dependent), and possibly variances among BT devices, which is why the delay is sometimes noticeable and sometimes not. To be safe, I'd find something with aptX-LL or RF wireless.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
When it comes to watching TV, Movies, or Netflix without lag it appears you need Bluetooth headphones that have the aptX-LL codec severely limiting your choice of headphones... with brands like Avantree, Artiste, and others. Maybe they're decent for their purpose but ideally there's so many other choices if you're not limited to aptX-LL headphones.

However I've read comments about various Bluetooth headphones having just the aptX codec saying no lag was noticed when watching TV or watching Movies... guess can't remember anything about Netflix though. As an example I've read some people say Sony's WH-1000XM3 are fine for watching video and other's say lag is pretty noticeable.

Does this come down to people hearing/perceiving things differently whereas some people might not notice lag, or could possibly the quality of the headphones themselves make a difference?

Basically if you want to eliminate noticeable lag is it imperative you have Bluetooth headphones with the aptX-LL codec, or will there be some instances when the aptX codec will be sufficient?

Don't forget that both the source device ( AVR/TV) and your destination device (Headphones) need to support the aptX-LL codec for you to see any benefit.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #12 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
I have the Sony WF-1000XM3 wireless earbuds and there is definitely around 150ms of delay in audio. This is inline with aptX HD specs. For music they are outstanding though.

I think delay is likely increased with additional processing (device dependent), and possibly variances among BT devices, which is why the delay is sometimes noticeable and sometimes not. To be safe, I'd find something with aptX-LL or RF wireless.
Thanks everything you said certainly makes sense with the aptX HD specs and also the reasoning why delay is sometimes noticeable and other times not.

Maybe I’ll just hang on until the Sony WF-1000XM4 is released and it’ll have aptX-LL or possibly something better.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah not interested in Fiio option but still curious about lag... do you think it's possible you're not getting lag with your non aptx-LL Fiio because using starting out with a wired headphone?
I don't know, but I don't see how. The key interaction is still the Bluetooth connection between the TV and the Fiio. My daughter has Sennheiser PXC 550s (first gen) and, like the Fiio, they have aptx, but not LL. No lag with them either.

My TV is an LG UM7300. Can't find any info on what kind of Bluetooth codecs it supports. As others have noted, it appears to be a trial and error thing.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

So possibly lag is more related to watching Netflix, etc. and not so much when just watching TV with non aptX-LL headphones.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So possibly lag is more related to watching Netflix, etc. and not so much when just watching TV with non aptX-LL headphones.
Perhaps. The relatively few times I watched TV with my uBTR, it was either for something recorded on my PVR or something in my library of iTunes movies via my AppleTV 4K. I've not tried Netflix.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe off the subject a bit and not your preferred method of listening to headphones but has anyone compared the Bose QC 35ii to the Sony 1000XM3?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page