Hard of Hearing issue with AV Receivers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2020, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hard of Hearing issue with AV Receivers

As I've aged I've started to lose some frequency ranges, mostly higher like 4KHz and above in both ears but most dominantly in my left. So I thought I could get a bone conduction headset which has worked for me on my cellphone to improve audio playback and arrange a connection that wouldn't interrupt the normal speaker output for the rest of the family but give me the separate volume control I need to balance the sound output. I have a Samsung 4K TV (Samsung UN65KS8000) that plays its audio through a Yamaha RX-V373 5.1ch AV receiver. I was naive enough to believe that the RCA jacks on the back of the receiver marked Audio out would produce a preamp level signal I could run into a Bluetooth Transmitter and play the audio uniquely for me while everyone else could listen to the speakers. Well surprise, surprise - the HDMI audio return channel connecting the TV to the AV receiver is apparently not allowed by Yamaha to be echoed through the Analog Outputs. I was able to make the headset work only if I connected the Bluetooth transmitter to the headphone jack outputs, which, of course, turns off the speakers.
So can anyone recommend a way to get around the Yamaha (and probably other manufacturers) decision to not allow the two-channel analog audio output to contain a signal from a digital source?
For the record, buying a new receiver is not in the budget and its very likely that any AV Receiver sold today is going to be the same way. I'm already out over $120 for the bluetooth bone conduction headset and the bluetooth transmitter. But I'm ready to spend maybe that much more to get some piece of equipment that sits between the TV and the receiver that I can use the bluetooth headset with. And I'm not averse to some soldering if someone knows a simple circuit mod internal to the receiver that would accomplish my goal.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-12-2020, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 54
post #3 of 4 Old 04-14-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmmm..... looks promising - thanks. The block diagram doesn't fit my configuration exactly since I'm basically using both an AV receiver and the TV as video/audio sources, relying on the audio return channel from the TV to the Receiver to provide 5.1 audio. I'll contact the manufacturer to see what they say - and thanks again!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-20-2020, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was in similar situation. However, my hearing loss required hearing aides. With my hearing aids I had a bt transmitter that would stream directly to my HA. However, the transmitter could only accept analog signal. My Home theater system was all digital. I found that if I patched all sources into the avr with analog in addition to their digital connections I could stream to my HA simultaneously while playing on speakers. No reason you couldn’t do same with wireless headphones

LG 42LB5600, Sony BDP-S590, Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K, JBL LX22, Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, Polk DSWPro400, Polk OWM3, Logitech Squeezbox Classic, Squeezebox Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page