What's going to be my best set up to 6xx for FPS gaming on PS4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-29-2020, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Best set up to 6xx for FPS gaming on PS4 (Creative G6 or avr pre outs to Schitt amp)?

I love my dedicated HT. 7.1 set up with 6 floorstanding speakers, plus a nice Marantz AVR (SR5014). And it's great for gaming, lately I'm obsessed with Call of Duty Warzone and I play on PS4.

Some people say headphones are better for this type of gaming, but I love the clarity and depth I get out of my set up for gaming. I think I hear footsteps and such much better than my headphone counterparts.

Nevertheless, my wife is tired of the gunbattles and helicopters while she's trying to sleep. So I need to start playing with headphones.

I have decided, after much research, I will use Sennheiser 6xx. This part is not up for debate, nor is open vs. closed back.

My question is, I am deciding between these two set up and have no idea (before I make the extra purchase I need to make) which will be better for me. And by "better," I mean the best set up possible for the most accuracy. Imaging, imaging, imaging. The best substitute for my 7.1 set up, so that if footsteps are 10m away from me in the game SW of me, I hear it just as loud and clear as I would with my HT speakers. (Don't worry about microphone, I have that taken care of and it's separate from this)

Option 1: Purchase Creative G6 dac/amp. Use following set up:
PS4 -> Optical -> Creative G6 dac/amp -> 6xx

Option 2: Purchase Schiit Magni 3+ headphone amp. Use following set up:
PS4 -> HDMI -> Marantz AVR SR5014 -> Pre outs for Front L/R -> Magni 3+ -> 6xx

The cost difference between the G6 and Magni 3+ means nothing to me, I just want the best set up with the best imaging on 6xx while I play COD Warzone at night.

Option 1 makes a lot of sense to me because the Creative G6 is fully intended to be a gaming dac/amp for headphones. It can even decode dolby digital coming from the PS4, and can definitely drive the 6xx.

Option 2 is where I get no sense for what I can do. The idea of getting a Magni 3+ and using it for this purpose is sexy. THAT SAID, I'm concerned about the Marantz AVR. I know headphone amps inside AVRs suck, but what about using Marantz AVR as a dac for headphone purposes? Can I trust it to do good job taking the 5.1/7.1 signal from the PS4 and downrezzing it to 2.0 and sending to the amp via pre-out such that I get the imaging I want? OR in that sense, I am just better off with the Creative G6?

Thanks!!

Last edited by pappy97; 04-30-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2020, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 662
JVC is set to release a set of headphones that support Atmos, for around $1000. Or you can get a Smyth Realiser which will basically get you Atmos or 7.1 and some if the most impressive surround. Your options are basically just stereo, while the Smyth and JVC offer true surround. I know the Smyth works with any headphones and will calibrate to them..
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2020, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
JVC is set to release a set of headphones that support Atmos, for around $1000. Or you can get a Smyth Realiser which will basically get you Atmos or 7.1 and some if the most impressive surround. Your options are basically just stereo, while the Smyth and JVC offer true surround. I know the Smyth works with any headphones and will calibrate to them..
Thanks, but I'm asking about the two specific options I've presented in my OP.

Quote:
Option 1: Purchase Creative G6 dac/amp. Use following set up:
PS4 -> Optical -> Creative G6 dac/amp -> 6xx

Option 2: Purchase Schiit Magni 3+ headphone amp. Use following set up:
PS4 -> HDMI -> Marantz AVR SR5014 -> Pre outs for Front L/R -> Magni 3+ -> 6xx
Got any insight on which is the better set up between these two options?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I personally would go with the G6. I don't know if the AVR headphone processing option will give you a convincing surround effect. It might, but the G6 will likely do it better. The G6 has functions for game & audio chatmix, and other DSP options intended for gaming use. I do not own the G6, but I do own the G5 and E5, which are similar but stereo only on PS4. I really like the DSP options and the software for saving profiles. It's also a much cleaner solution in regard to cabling, as you don't need to worry about external power as you would with the Magni.

I also own the Magni 3 and I'm not knocking it, but for gaming I'd rather have something purpose built like the G6.

Option 2 makes more sense if you were using more than a single HDMI source, and wanted to use headphones for multiple sources at your AVR.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-30-2020, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
I personally would go with the G6. I don't know if the AVR headphone processing option will give you a convincing surround effect. It might, but the G6 will likely do it better. The G6 has functions for game & audio chatmix, and other DSP options intended for gaming use. I do not own the G6, but I do own the G5 and E5, which are similar but stereo only on PS4. I really like the DSP options and the software for saving profiles. It's also a much cleaner solution in regard to cabling, as you don't need to worry about external power as you would with the Magni.

I also own the Magni 3 and I'm not knocking it, but for gaming I'd rather have something purpose built like the G6.

Option 2 makes more sense if you were using more than a single HDMI source, and wanted to use headphones for multiple sources at your AVR.
Thank you! Yeah, I would only use the cans for gaming on Ps4, not other sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page