How to connect and find Atmos headphones for my pioneer SC-95 receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KurianOfBorg

post #1 of 20 Old 05-02-2020, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to connect and find Atmos headphones for my pioneer SC-95 receiver

I have a wife nagging me about how loud I play my movies at night. I have a Direct Tv Genie for Tv and my NVIDIA Shield Box for Netflix,Plex,and Amazone Prime video. All are connected to my Pioneer Elite SC-95 receiver. Then the video feed goes to the Sony 45ES projector. How are these Atmos headphones connected to a setup like mine. It would be nice to be able to use the headphones for later at night and get some good quality Atmos surround sound. I would love to hear some suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-03-2020, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 662
There are only two Atmos headphones and only one of them is out. There is a set by JVC coming out later this year for about $1000, and the Smyth Realiser A16 which works with any pair of headphones. But it's really expensive.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
There are only two Atmos headphones and only one of them is out. There is a set by JVC coming out later this year for about $1000, and the Smyth Realiser A16 which works with any pair of headphones. But it's really expensive.
I saw the Dolby Dimension headphones advertised.What about those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-04-2020, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There was a review of those in this forum a long time ago when they first came out. They apparently are a big disappointment for the price (I think they were $600 or so?) - they weren't HDMI input from what I recall. That would be why there aren't any discussions of them anymore.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-04-2020, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
I tried the Dolby Dimension headphones and was not impressed

while not Atmos: these are very good headphones: and the processor supports 2 headphones simultaneously: the Japan import is the one to buy:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-HW70.../dp/B00FJISYZQ

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #6 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The problem with the Sony (and I have 4 of them, including the Japanese version) is they aren't made or sold anymore and haven't been for at least 5 years. You may be able to find them used, but the problem is the batteries are dying in them.

But they are nice if you can find a used one. But again, you are looking at something that was stopped being sold years ago.

The JVC ones are supposedly coming out in August, so something to look forward to. The Smyth is available now, but they are built in very small quantities and the UK is on lockdown so none are being made right at this moment.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid53 View Post
I have a wife nagging me about how loud I play my movies at night. I have a Direct Tv Genie for Tv and my NVIDIA Shield Box for Netflix,Plex,and Amazone Prime video. All are connected to my Pioneer Elite SC-95 receiver. Then the video feed goes to the Sony 45ES projector. How are these Atmos headphones connected to a setup like mine. It would be nice to be able to use the headphones for later at night and get some good quality Atmos surround sound. I would love to hear some suggestions.
https://developer.dolby.com/blog/dol...or-headphones/

I have it installed on Xbox for home theatre, haven't tried using headphones yet.

edit: just tried it with my headphones, quite impressed it works so well. Not surprised though, years ago I had to have an avr with DOLBY HEADPHONE for gaming, long discontinued but found an old Marantz refurb on A4L, that worked just as well.

Last edited by tbook; 05-05-2020 at 09:04 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The problem with the Sony (and I have 4 of them, including the Japanese version) is they aren't made or sold anymore and haven't been for at least 5 years. You may be able to find them used, but the problem is the batteries are dying in them.

But they are nice if you can find a used one. But again, you are looking at something that was stopped being sold years ago.

The JVC ones are supposedly coming out in August, so something to look forward to. The Smyth is available now, but they are built in very small quantities and the UK is on lockdown so none are being made right at this moment.
What about the Sony L600s which are still available?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-05-2020, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was wondering if all these 7.1 gaming headphones would work to watch movies.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 296
@vid53 Atmos and headphones isn't an affordable thing yet, like they said the only option is the Realizer. However, virtual 5.1 or 7.1 with a pair of stereo headphones combined with tactile transducers(bass shakers) is an excellent experience. The shakers make a huge difference. It's just a very personalized and sometimes complex audio chain. The issue is it requires a spdif toslink optical connection for 5.1, so with the nvidia shield I believe you'll need an hdmi audio extractor as well.

Something like this since you're not using a UHD display should be fine. It has optical out and "SPDIF stereo output; 5.1CH for SPDIF Output; Supports compressed audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital"
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...8910624&sr=8-3

And then you would need an optical dac that can decode lossy 5.1(dolby/dts) and has built-in binaural rendering(virtual surround sound). Something like a Creative Sound BlasterX G6 would work, maybe an Astro MixAmp, I'm not sure exactly which devices are available presently.

Chain would look like this:

Nvidia Shield HDMI out > Audio Extractor > Creative G6 > Optical Splitter >

Split 1: Optical DAC > Headphone Amplifier > Headphones
Split 2: Optical DAC > Amplifier with crossover > Bass shakers

The cheapest amplifier with a crossover I'm aware of is this
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...utput--310-308

Last edited by bdht; 05-07-2020 at 10:14 PM.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
@vid53 Atmos and headphones isn't an affordable thing yet, like they said the only option is the Realizer. However, virtual 5.1 or 7.1 with a pair of stereo headphones combined with tactile transducers(bass shakers) is an excellent experience. The shakers make a huge difference. It's just a very personalized and sometimes complex audio chain. The issue is it requires a spdif toslink optical connection for 5.1, so with the nvidia shield I believe you'll need an hdmi audio extractor as well.

Something like this since you're not using a UHD display should be fine. It has optical out and "SPDIF stereo output; 5.1CH for SPDIF Output; Supports compressed audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital"
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...8910624&sr=8-3

And then you would need an optical dac that can decode lossy 5.1(dolby/dts) and has built-in binaural rendering(virtual surround sound). Something like a Creative Sound BlasterX G6 would work, maybe an Astro MixAmp, I'm not sure exactly which devices are available presently.

Chain would look like this:

Nvidia Shield HDMI out > Audio Extractor > Optical Splitter >

Split 1: Creative G6 > Headphones
Split 2: Optical DAC > Amplifier with crossover > Bass shakers

The cheapest amplifier with a crossover I'm aware of is this
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...utput--310-308
Thank You
post #12 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's typically the same with the gaming headphones, they'll need an optical connection for lossy 5.1.

I can't recommend the shakers enough though, it's a game changer when you get it all setup right.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's typically the same with the gaming headphones, they'll need an optical connection for lossy 5.1.

I can't recommend the shakers enough though, it's a game changer when you get it all setup right.
I do have the shakers in each chair. Wont the Sony L600 headphones Do the same thing connecting the optical out of the receiver to the headphone stand?
post #14 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh the receiver has optical out, ya, as long as the output supports lossy 5.1 I think that should work. If not using shakers that should be fairly straight forward for most headphones that have the surround processing built-in.

I realized also, in the chain I posted you'd be sending lossy 5.1 to the optical dac for the shakers, I think something like the G6 has an optical output too, so you would put it before the splitter. I editted the previous post.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@EAS just shared this amplifier https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...emote--300-785

I wonder if this would work:

Nvidia Shield HDMI out > Audio Extractor > Creative G6 > BSA200 > Headphone Amplifier
post #16 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 40
There are only 3 ways to get true Atmos on headphones.
1. Smyth Realiser A16 - Accepts a TrueHD, E-AC-3, or MAT 2.0 Atmos bitstream over HDMI from any source.
2. Xbox - UWP applications such as Netflix can play Atmos content with object-based rendering when used with the Dolby Atmos for Headphones spatial sound renderer. If you use any other renderer it will play only the 7.1-channel base layer. Games support object-based rendering with any renderer.
3. Windows 10 - Same as Xbox. Additionally, E-AC-3 Atmos media files played in the Films & TV application or Edge browser support object-based rendering. Non-Media Foundation applications will play only the 7.1-channel base layer even when using the Dolby Atmos for Headphones renderer.

The ideal setup is a Windows 10 PC bitstreaming Atmos to a Smyth Realiser A16. Then you can use any application.

I don't know why AVRs don't have a Dolby Atmos for Headphones downmixer.
thehun likes this.

Last edited by KurianOfBorg; 05-07-2020 at 11:05 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
2. Xbox - UWP applications such as Netflix can play Atmos content with object-based rendering when used with the Dolby Atmos for Headphones spatial sound renderer. If you use any other renderer it will play only the 7.1-channel base layer. Games support object-based rendering with any renderer.
3. Windows 10 - Same as Xbox. Additionally, E-AC-3 Atmos media files played in the Films & TV application or Edge browser support object-based rendering. Non-Media Foundation applications will play only the 7.1-channel base layer even when using the Dolby Atmos for Headphones renderer.
I found the Atmos for Headphones to be not so externalized, so the atmos effect wasn't very noticeable, tried a few headphones, MrSpeakers Alpha Primes, Audeze EL-8s, Stax SR-207, Sennheiser hd6xx, hifiman he400i.

I like using the binaural renderers with measured room impulse responses, Out of Your Head which used a realiser a8, or Impulcifer. And then preferred Waves NX after that, especially in the Mobius with head tracking, very externalized with dialogue emanating to the display. Most of these require a PC, however.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I found the Atmos for Headphones to be not so externalized, so the atmos effect wasn't very noticeable, tried a few headphones, MrSpeakers Alpha Primes, Audeze EL-8s, Stax SR-207, Sennheiser hd6xx, hifiman he400i.

I like using the binaural renderers with measured room impulse responses, Out of Your Head which used a realiser a8, or Impulcifer. And then preferred Waves NX after that, especially in the Mobius with head tracking, very externalized with dialogue emanating to the display. Most of these require a PC, however.
None of these support height channels or object-based rendering so they are not comparable to Atmos. For games that support object-based rendering via spatial sound, I prefer DTS Headphone:X as it has a bigger sound stage. I also prefer it for 5.1 / 7.1 down mixing and I rank it equal to the Mobius / Waves NX.
post #19 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
None of these support height channels or object-based rendering so they are not comparable to Atmos. For games that support object-based rendering via spatial sound, I prefer DTS Headphone:X as it has a bigger sound stage. I also prefer it for 5.1 / 7.1 down mixing and I rank it equal to the Mobius / Waves NX.
Right but what I was saying was the measured room impulse responses provide much more externalized surround sound and higher fidelity audio compared to Atmos for Headphones despite having the height channels.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-07-2020, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i.e. atmos for headphones sounds very very close to your head whereas the others eminate from the display and from out in the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page