Does anyone make a wireless transmitter / USB receiver that works with a headset? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2020, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone make a wireless transmitter / USB receiver that works with a headset?

I'm wondering if there's a product out there that allows you to make a wired headset wireless by connecting its audio cable to a small transmitter and then connecting a USB receiver to your computer.

Basically, I'm thinking it'd be the same thing that non-bluetooth gaming headsets use, but instead of the transmitter already being built into a headset, it's a small portable device than can take any wired connection. The USB receiver would present itself to a computer simply as an audio device, and would support both stereo audio out and a microphone.

Does this sort of thing exist? I'm aware of a few bluetooth devices that can do this, but it would suffer from bluetooth's generally crappy latency and quality. I'm hoping there's something that uses a non-bluetooth wireless connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The only device I know of that is non-BT is an Astro Mixamp 5.8, but you also need their proprietary PS3/PS4 USB chat cable. It's also long since been discontinued, so ebay or similar is your best bet. I use one with PS4. If you don't mind the wire from the headset to the mixamp, it works as a semi-portable solution. I get 20-30ft of range, but it does drop out after that. But it's rather large to compared to a modern BT headphone amp.

The problem with BT is the devices that support chat audio over BT degrade the overall sound quality for chat to function.

If you want a fully wireless BT solution, look into getting a small BT amp, and if you need chat look into the Antlion ModMic wireless. Really the latency issues with aptX-LL aren't bad.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-04-2020, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Maybe something like this combined with a powerbank
https://audioengineusa.com/product_t...audio-adapter/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-04-2020, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
The only device I know of that is non-BT is an Astro Mixamp 5.8, but you also need their proprietary PS3/PS4 USB chat cable. It's also long since been discontinued, so ebay or similar is your best bet. I use one with PS4. If you don't mind the wire from the headset to the mixamp, it works as a semi-portable solution. I get 20-30ft of range, but it does drop out after that. But it's rather large to compared to a modern BT headphone amp.
Yes, that looks too bulky for my purposes. It's not clear that it's bidirectional either.

Quote:
The problem with BT is the devices that support chat audio over BT degrade the overall sound quality for chat to function.
Yes, I've looked quite a bit into why bluetooth has such poor performance in this regard. I went as far as buying a bluetooth transmitter and receiver that both supported FastStream (which for those who haven't heard of it is another proprietary bluetooth codec like aptX-LL but which allows close to full quality stereo audio while using the mic at the same time), but the bloody things still fell back on the crappy SBC codec anyway and still sounded like garbage! That just goes to show why bluetooth audio is so difficult... even two devices that, on paper, support the same high quality codecs aren't guaranteed to work properly with each other.

Quote:
If you want a fully wireless BT solution, look into getting a small BT amp, and if you need chat look into the Antlion ModMic wireless. Really the latency issues with aptX-LL aren't bad.
Yes, I have used aptX-LL and find it to be decent quality and latency. But the trouble as you say is getting a microphone working at the same time.

I hadn't considered having the headset and microphone being their own separate devices. That's an interesting idea, and the ModMic in particular looks quite compelling. If I can't find something else that works I may give that a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseval View Post
Maybe something like this combined with a powerbank
https://audioengineusa.com/product_t...audio-adapter/
That's close to what I'm looking for, but it doesn't appear to be bidirectional either. But thanks for the suggestion -- it gives me a few other avenues to explore.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What is the chat function?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-05-2020, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
What is the chat function?
Being able to have a microphone input signal at the same time as an audio output signal over the same wireless connection. The trouble with bluetooth is that in chat mode it typically ruins the quality, crushing both the input and output to low fidelity 16 kHz mono so it sounds intolerably awful. This has been a problem since 2002. Lord knows why it still hasn't been improved.

So I asked about a non-bluetooth solution because a lot of gaming headsets have proprietary wireless connections that are low latency and sound great including with a microphone. If only there was a way of hooking up any audio source or headset to an interface like that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page