Headphone Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2020, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Headphone Recommendations

I am thinking about getting some headphones for listening to my 2.0 system. I have a Parasound P5 powered by a Carver 133 WPC amp. I am looking for a good quality pair of headphones that will sound really good, strictly for music. I have the Bose noise cancelling headphones that I use for travel but would like something better for listening at home. Never having owned a nice pair of plug in headphones, do I need to get a separate headphone amp or can I simply plug into the P5? I have read some good reviews about the Sennheiser HD650, but I think I would need a separate amp for those, correct? Any other good headphones anyone can recommend would be appreciated. It would be nice to not have to buy a separate amp, but if that needs to be done it needs to be done. Budget for everything is under $500.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2020, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by minatophase3 View Post
I am thinking about getting some headphones for listening to my 2.0 system. I have a Parasound P5 powered by a Carver 133 WPC amp. I am looking for a good quality pair of headphones that will sound really good, strictly for music. I have the Bose noise cancelling headphones that I use for travel but would like something better for listening at home. Never having owned a nice pair of plug in headphones, do I need to get a separate headphone amp or can I simply plug into the P5? I have read some good reviews about the Sennheiser HD650, but I think I would need a separate amp for those, correct? Any other good headphones anyone can recommend would be appreciated. It would be nice to not have to buy a separate amp, but if that needs to be done it needs to be done. Budget for everything is under $500.

Thanks for your help.
I would just try the P5. Being a preamp it has it's own discrete headphone amp. Most receivers just tap off the main amp stage with resistors so separate headphone amps get recommended. I don't think you need to do that. At least give it a try without. I have the 650 HDs and they are a great headphone. It's currently about 360 on amazon. Some will recommend the Massdrop version, but you might have to wait a while and those come with a short cord, so I'd just go for the 650HDs. Even so you may still want a longer cord, if so get the Grado extension cord, usually 30ish bucks.

If you decide later you need a headphone amp, pick up a basic Schiit headphone amp, the Magi for 99 bucks, but given you have a higher end P5 preamp, I doubt you'll need one.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2020, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I would just try the P5. Being a preamp it has it's own discrete headphone amp. Most receivers just tap off the main amp stage with resistors so separate headphone amps get recommended. I don't think you need to do that. At least give it a try without. I have the 650 HDs and they are a great headphone. It's currently about 360 on amazon. Some will recommend the Massdrop version, but you might have to wait a while and those come with a short cord, so I'd just go for the 650HDs. Even so you may still want a longer cord, if so get the Grado extension cord, usually 30ish bucks.

If you decide later you need a headphone amp, pick up a basic Schiit headphone amp, the Magi for 99 bucks, but given you have a higher end P5 preamp, I doubt you'll need one.
Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-12-2020, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Wanted to post an update, I found a pair of used HD6XX from a member of this board, they should arrive today!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-13-2020, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by minatophase3 View Post
Wanted to post an update, I found a pair of used HD6XX from a member of this board, they should arrive today!
I'd buy replacement ear pads.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page