alternatives for Sony HW700DS - surround headphones for 100% movies usage - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
alternatives for Sony HW700DS - surround headphones for 100% movies usage

hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to the headphone scene as I've always been using my main HT system and subs. But due to having a young child at home & i can't blast, I am not able to use my main system. Hence I migrated to headphones to watch my movies late at night which brings me a BIG SMILE and keeps me sane!

I am currently using the Sony HW700DS headphone system.

I love what I am hearing on the Sony HW700DS for movies and I am waiting for the JVC Exofield to be released. But the JVC's release looks like to be delayed to later part this year due to the coronavirus.

So I'm looking for good alternatives that can perform better than the Sony HW700DS in the interim period while I wait for the JVC to be released. The Smyth is out for me as it's too expensive.

Usage is 100% movies. I don't use a HTPC at all for movies and I only play my movies 100% via my Oppo 203 BD/ Media player, with a shaker connected. So the headphone needs to work with my HT system and not thru a PC.

Any suggestions are very welcome! =)

Last edited by sevenz; 05-24-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2020, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 682
There are no others unless you want to involve a PC or game console. It's either the Smyth or JVC. Is there some reason you can't wait the few months? The JVC is supposed to come out in August for about $1000, which is only 3 months away. It doesn't seem worth it to invest in something else for this short period of time.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thx. Won't be buying new. Buying a used set to play with t for this few months to keep cost low and have enjoyment. And likely sell away when I get the JVC.

We never know if there will be a delay to the JVC due to the global coronavirus situation....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2020, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 182
This JVC Exofield device looks very promising. Would be a godsend for the living room as I currently have a 2.0 setup in there and that will not change for the foreseeable (read: 10 year) future. No space for more, in any case. This would be an awesome way for me to do late night movie watching in the room with the comfiest furniture in the house. I just hope it remains on the market long enough for me to get one (such an expense would be a few years away at best). But I quite like what I've read about its features.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2020, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I retired my hw700ds several years ago. Battery is hard wired. Had to break out the solder iron to replace them once. Didn't want to go through that a second time. Also, iirc the passthru did not support 4k.

The two "cheap" alternatives right now are the Senn rs-175s for about $200, or the Sony WH-L600 for about $300.

In the near future, Creative will be releasing the SXFI TV. That is the one I have been waiting on, but they have been delayed over a year, so who knows. I expect them to be around $300.

The upcoming JVC Exofield system for around $1,000 looks promising, but would like to hear it myself before investing that much.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2020, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Whatever you decide try to incorporate tactile transducers as it makes a world of difference in externalizating the virtualization.

You can use something like a creative g6 to do the surround processing
post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2020, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The best stand alone I used was actually the Astro A50 Gen 3. It had optical in and dolby/PCM processing. Dolby Headhone works well for many too.

When I need to use Headphones I use Impulcifer. It's like the Smyth but better and free. You virtualize your own surround system or just use one speaker to create one. It's better than the Smyth because you can do virtual room correction so I fixed some bass ringing I had and flattened frequency response - that's very difficult to fix in the real world.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2020, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dush View Post
The best stand alone I used was actually the Astro A50 Gen 3. It had optical in and dolby/PCM processing. Dolby Headhone works well for many too.

When I need to use Headphones I use Impulcifer. It's like the Smyth but better and free. You virtualize your own surround system or just use one speaker to create one. It's better than the Smyth because you can do virtual room correction so I fixed some bass ringing I had and flattened frequency response - that's very difficult to fix in the real world.
I purchased the Sony WH-1003xm3 a few weeks back, great for music and noise cancellation, and kick butt while watching late night movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page