Hack headphone jack - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-02-2020, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hack headphone jack

Strange post here, just go with me. If I take an old pair of ear buds, cut the wire a couple inches above the jack, can I connect a couple of the wires together in order to trick the device I to thinking headphones are plugged in? If so, which ones?

The reason I'm asking is that recently my Nintendo Switch has started crashing. In my searching it looks like a problem with the internal speaker. The search results said that plugging headphones in kept it from crashing, because it bypasses the speakers. Which turned out to be true in my case. Works fine with headphones plugged in, crashes without them. Since my switch is out of warranty, I just wanted to create a little plug of sorts that I can plug in the jack that I can leave plugged in all the time so it always bypasses the speaker.

Can I accomplish this with an old pair of ear buds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-02-2020, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The simple headphone connector called TRS - Tip, Ring, Sleeve. Usually, Tip is Right channel, Ring is Left and Sleeve is Ground (google TRS pin out).
To emulate the headphones you really need a resistor between ground and each of the channels - anything in typical range of headphone impedance, say 16 - 100 Ohm. I would not just short them out.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-02-2020, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Why not just use the old earbuds?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The headphone receptacle basically works like a switch.
No plug inserted means it connect the speaker to the amp
Plug inserted breaks the connection bewteen amp and speaker.
Hence a plug only will suffice.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoary View Post
The simple headphone connector called TRS - Tip, Ring, Sleeve. Usually, Tip is Right channel, Ring is Left and Sleeve is Ground (google TRS pin out).
To emulate the headphones you really need a resistor between ground and each of the channels - anything in typical range of headphone impedance, say 16 - 100 Ohm. I would not just short them out.
Hm, good thought, hadn't thought about that. I have some resistors I could easily soldier one between the wires. I'll do some googling and think about that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
Why not just use the old earbuds?
I plan on using old earbuds, but having them long and dangling around all the time is very cumbersome when wanting to take it off the dock or put it back on. So I was trying to come up with a more compact solution that wouldn't be so messy and dangly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseval
The headphone receptacle basically works like a switch.
No plug inserted means it connect the speaker to the amp
Plug inserted breaks the connection bewteen amp and speaker.
Hence a plug only will suffice.
Right, I could just plug in old earbuds and it works fine. But I want to snip the earbuds off so it is just a little jack sticking out. And with the wires clipped it will leave the connection open, acting like there are no headphones in there. So was just looking for a way to connect them together to make it think there are headphones in there. But obviously the first thing I'm going to try is just snipping them and plugging it in lol.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 682
No, you just have a plug in the jack. There is a physical switch that detects if a plug is inserted that disconnects the speaker. It merely detects the physical presence of the plug - not that it's electrically connected to anything. You can chop the cable halfway, plug it in and try it. Then just chop it closer to the plug when it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page