The State of Headphones vs Headset for Gaming/Movies in 2020? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The State of Headphones vs Headset for Gaming/Movies in 2020?

Hey All,

The last time I invested in headphones for gaming/movies was in 2012. At that time I had considered getting a high end headset, but all the research I did (including these forums) told me that the much better investment was headphones with an attachable mic. Essentially the case seemed to be that even the best headsets at that time were a compromise option that could not compare to good headphones. I ended up with the Beyerdynamic DT 990, FiiO E11 amp, and a modmic from antlion.

I use the above exclusively with my PC and I've now decided I would like a headphone set up for my PS4 in the living room. 8 years is a long time for anything tech related, so I want to know if the situation has changed in regards to headsets vs headphones + attachable mic. I looked into headsets and it seems like the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless, the HyperX Cloud Orbit S-Gaming, or the Audez Mobius are the top of the line. Are these quality products or would I still be better off just get headphones and an antlion wireless modmic?

If Headphones + attachable MIC is still the way to go, does anyone have recommendations for ones that are better than the above 3 and in the ~500 dollar price range? If it's a significant upgrade from my DT 990 I might even grab a second pair to use with my PC as well.

Thanks

Last edited by Megasabin; 06-17-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Nothing has really changed. Headphones + mic > headset, IMO. DT 990 is still well-regarded. I recommend getting a surround processor such as Creative G6, Astro Mixamp, etc that works with PS4. I also recommend getting the modmic wireless. It's a great mic, and a clean solution.

The Mobius is mostly a PC product. I guess it technically works with PS4 but most of the functionality is PC-based. The Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless has always been on my short list. If you found a deal, I think those are probably a safe bet, but at MSRP I'd personally just go with a set of open back cans and the wireless modmic. I tend to prefer open back anyway, though. With open back, I can at least hear myself talking so that I'm not shouting when in party chat.

The HyperX you mentioned also appears to be a PC product. Typically any headset that is made for PC will also work with PS4, but you will be limited to stereo only on PS4. There are a few fully wireless options for PS4 which offer surround. Steelseries has a few options, and then there are some options from Turtle Beach and of course Sony. Probably some others. I don't typically like wireless headsets because they don't usually get loud enough for my liking.

My setup is:

Philips SHP9500 + velour pad replacements
Modmic Wireless
Astro Mixamp 5.8

I also sometimes use Philips X2HR. That's why I like the modmic because you can swap it to other headphones easily.

I am more than happy with this setup and I'm not sure spending more will get you much more. It would be hard for me to spend the money on a gaming headset like the Steelseries for PS4 when PS5 is just around the corner and we have yet to know what headphone surround functionality it will have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page