Headphone amp in conjunction with preamp... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By glangford
  • 1 Post By Jive Turkey
  • 1 Post By GeorgeHolland

post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Headphone amp in conjunction with preamp...

My Parasound P7 stereo preamp mutes the speaker outputs when I plug in my headphones and climb behind my drum set. I'd like the speakers to output music also so those who have to live in my house have some kind of context for all the noise I'm making.

Is there a headphone amp recommendation that would work like this and how would I connect it with my stereo preamp to accomplish the mission?

See ya. Dave

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a botheration on the mind." Otis Spann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-23-2020, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
My Parasound P7 stereo preamp mutes the speaker outputs when I plug in my headphones and climb behind my drum set. I'd like the speakers to output music also so those who have to live in my house have some kind of context for all the noise I'm making.

Is there a headphone amp recommendation that would work like this and how would I connect it with my stereo preamp to accomplish the mission?
Take the stereo preouts to a separate headphone amplifier, don't use the one in the P7.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2020, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Take the stereo preouts to a separate headphone amplifier, don't use the one in the P7.

If I come out of the pre stereo output and into the headphone amp, how do I get sound out of the pre to the power amp so music can be heard out of the speakers, so both the headphones and the speakers will both play?

See ya. Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2020, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I come out of the pre stereo output and into the headphone amp, how do I get sound out of the pre to the power amp so music can be heard out of the speakers, so both the headphones and the speakers will both play?
Good point! Duh! I was thinking an integrated sorry.

Are all the preouts active at once, both balanced and RCA? If so use the balanced pre outs to a headphone amp like the Schiit Jotunheim which has balanced and RCA input. It also has preouts as well, but I don't know if they are cut off when headphones are plugged in, ask Schitt, but you may not need that if both sets of your p7 preouts are active.

https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim I'd explain to Schiit what you are trying to do, they can probably help.
Jive Turkey likes this.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Buying the Schitt Magni3+ and a pair of 50' interconnects from Monoprice to put the volume control of the Schitt by my drum set (the P7 remote signal could not reach from my drums). Richard Schram from Parasound said hook it up to the Rec Out of the P7 preamp and I should be in business.
glangford likes this.

See ya. Dave

post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2020, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Buying the Schitt Magni3+ and a pair of 50' interconnects from Monoprice to put the volume control of the Schitt by my drum set (the P7 remote signal could not reach from my drums). Richard Schram from Parasound said hook it up to the Rec Out of the P7 preamp and I should be in business.
Glad it worked out.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Realize you found a solution and It’s discontinued but the Oppo HA-1 Headphone amplifier works that way. In fact you need to activate the mute function if you don’t want the preamp portion to play through the external speakers at the same time as the headphones.
Jive Turkey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page