Official SONOS owners thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 2049 Old 12-27-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hpp8140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 143
A search is not hard
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...ry/suggested/1

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
hpp8140 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 2049 Old 12-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Member
 
cdp1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased a Sony STR-ZA3000ES receiver into my new house. I have everything going into the receiver of course to manage with currently Front (left, center, & right) speakers plus a sub-woofer. I'm interested in buying into Sonos to add two Play:1's to the rear to get surround sound. Any thoughts on this being viable and would anyone recommend I do the sound bar to replace my existing front speakers? What else would I have to buy to make this integrate into my system easily? I pass all to my TV via HDMI currently. Ideally down the road I wouldn't mind getting a Play:3 to be mobile in a bedroom or outside. I just don't want a bunch of speaker wires.
cdp1276 is offline  
post #1173 of 2049 Old 12-27-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276 View Post
I recently purchased a Sony STR-ZA3000ES receiver into my new house. I have everything going into the receiver of course to manage with currently Front (left, center, & right) speakers plus a sub-woofer. I'm interested in buying into Sonos to add two Play:1's to the rear to get surround sound. Any thoughts on this being viable and would anyone recommend I do the sound bar to replace my existing front speakers? What else would I have to buy to make this integrate into my system easily? I pass all to my TV via HDMI currently. Ideally down the road I wouldn't mind getting a Play:3 to be mobile in a bedroom or outside. I just don't want a bunch of speaker wires.

If I am understanding you correctly you do NOT currently have any Sonos Equipment? If that is the case this isn't going to work / be possible to use some Play 1's as Rears as they aren't really designed to work that way. To get surround sound you would need the Sonos Playbar once you have that then you can add the Sonos Sub and a Pair of Play 1's as rear surrounds. This would eliminate the need for the Sony Receiver for anything other than maybe switching the inputs.

The one thing to keep in mind with the Sonos Playbar is that it only has an Optical In and does NOT support Dolby DTS. If you put a DTS Signal in to it you will get nothing at all out of it. This is a major issue for a lot of people and the only way around it is to somehow downmix the audio to AC3.

I will say that one really cool thing about having the Playbar is that you can then listen to TV on any / all of your other Zones by grouping them together.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1174 of 2049 Old 12-27-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,378
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
A couple Sonos questions.....
I had hoped I could also either stream or somehow access it through my home system. ...
I just picked up an Oppo BDP103, not sure if it can access that either.
What I am currently doing is running MinimServer on the computer with my music. Then you can use something like BubbleUPNP or PlugPlayer to use the Oppo as a DLNA media renderer. Works a treat, as the British say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
I want to output the music out of the Sonos with a digital coax into my Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube Dac. From the Tri-Vista Tube Dac, to my Parasound Halo pre/pro. Anyone use their Sonos with an outboard Dac? Is the Sonos my solution???
That should work just fine. I was doing that for a while. But then I started to acquire high res files and the Sonos won't play those. At that point I moved to the solution I describe above.
artur9 is offline  
post #1175 of 2049 Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,805
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
What I am currently doing is running MinimServer on the computer with my music. Then you can use something like BubbleUPNP or PlugPlayer to use the Oppo as a DLNA media renderer. Works a treat, as the British say.



That should work just fine. I was doing that for a while. But then I started to acquire high res files and the Sonos won't play those. At that point I moved to the solution I describe above.
High res up to CD quality and most lossless codecs will play just fine, sans DSD. flac, alac, wav all play I do believe.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1176 of 2049 Old 12-30-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,378
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
High res up to CD quality and most lossless codecs will play just fine, sans DSD. flac, alac, wav all play I do believe.
By high res I meant above CD quality. Specifically, I was getting some nice studio master recordings from the Society of Sound and Linn Records that were 24 bit and up to 192Khz.

I'm hoping that someday my existing Sonos units will become a transport for those.
artur9 is offline  
post #1177 of 2049 Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Iron Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I have a decent collection of DVD-Audio and SACD discs that I will simply play out of my Oppo BDP103 player. My regular CD collection is what I'm trying to avoid using the actual discs anymore. My collection has been ripped into my iTunes in their lossless format.
I picked up a new 160g ipod Classic to use as a hard drive in my cars so I have my entire cd collection on the go.
What I want is a way to access my iTunes, in lossless, into my home A/V system.
Being that it's stored on my laptop which is hooked to my network, hoping there is an easy way to access my iTunes that way. My Oppo 103 which is hard wired to the network may be able to access it. Not sure yet as I just got it for xmas. Or maybe getting a Sonos Connect for it. Either way, I want to send it in bitstream to my Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube Dac and then to my Halo C2.
Just trying to figure out the easiest and best sounding way.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
Iron Maiden is offline  
post #1178 of 2049 Old 12-30-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
I have a decent collection of DVD-Audio and SACD discs that I will simply play out of my Oppo BDP103 player. My regular CD collection is what I'm trying to avoid using the actual discs anymore. My collection has been ripped into my iTunes in their lossless format.
I picked up a new 160g ipod Classic to use as a hard drive in my cars so I have my entire cd collection on the go.
What I want is a way to access my iTunes, in lossless, into my home A/V system.
Being that it's stored on my laptop which is hooked to my network, hoping there is an easy way to access my iTunes that way. My Oppo 103 which is hard wired to the network may be able to access it. Not sure yet as I just got it for xmas. Or maybe getting a Sonos Connect for it. Either way, I want to send it in bitstream to my Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube Dac and then to my Halo C2.
Just trying to figure out the easiest and best sounding way.
Your Oppo can certainly access the files on your laptop, however you would have to use the Oppo's interface to view your library and control playback if you plan on streaming the music thru it. If you want to use the iTunes interface then you would either have to hook your laptop up directly to your A/V system or purchase an AppleTV/Airport Express and stream the files to them using AirPlay. The Airport Express gives you stereo analog outputs, but no on screen display so you would need to control playback from your laptop or an IOS device. The AppleTV gives you both HDMI and optical digital outputs. It also has its own onscreen interface if you want to use your TV/projector as your monitor along with the simple, yet effective Apple remote.

Like you, I have a laptop which is typically kept in the spare bedroom/office and use iTunes to catalog my music, of which the vast majority was ripped from my personal CD collection. I also use an iPod Classic in the car and had temporarily experimented with using the iPod in the living room as well, by connecting it to the iPod compatible USB port on my AVR. However, I didn't really care for the AVR's iPod control user interface nor did I think that the sound quality from the iPod classic was quite up to snuff for critical listening in my living room (though it's more than sufficient for use in my car with all of the road noise and the need to focus some of my attention on my driving). I chose to go the AppleTV and AirPlay route, as I liked the idea of being able to AirPlay video from iTunes and my IOS devices as well as the screen mirroring function. I love it.

Edit: I almost forgot that the original question was in regards to Sonos. I think that you can play back ALAC files using Sonos and could certainly use a Sonos Connect to output the stream to your A/V system. If you plan to use any of the music streaming services in addition to streaming your own music from iTunes and/or you want multiple zones of music in your house and like the sound quality of the Sonos Play speakers then this would be a good choice. However, if you don't plan on using the streaming services and don't plan on using Sonos Play speakers in other zones then the AppleTV option would be cheaper and give you the same sound quality.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 12-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1179 of 2049 Old 12-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MY father-in-law received a Sonos sound bar for Christmas and asked me to set it up for him. He has a Sharp LC-42sb45u TV that only has digital audio out. So I bought a coax to toslink optical converter but, after connecting the TV and the sound bar with the converter, I still can't get the sound bar to sink with the TV.

Is there a simple solution for this or do I need to get an hdmi switch to connect the TV, cable box, blue ray, and Apple TV to and send the audio from the switch to the sound Bar?
Forum_jedi is offline  
post #1180 of 2049 Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_jedi View Post
MY father-in-law received a Sonos sound bar for Christmas and asked me to set it up for him. He has a Sharp LC-42sb45u TV that only has digital audio out. So I bought a coax to toslink optical converter but, after connecting the TV and the sound bar with the converter, I still can't get the sound bar to sink with the TV.

Is there a simple solution for this or do I need to get an hdmi switch to connect the TV, cable box, blue ray, and Apple TV to and send the audio from the switch to the sound Bar?
I am not sure what I am missing here, the Sonos Playbar / Soundbar has / requires an Optical Input which the TV you listed has. In this case you should hook all of your various devices to the TV, the Optical out of the TV to the Soundbar and use the TV to do the switching.

The only problem with this setup is that I am not sure if the TV will pass out anything more than Stereo (check the Sonos App it will tell you what the Input it). If you are one of the lucky ones that can get Dolby out of your TV (its pretty rare for anything but OTA Signals) then you will enjoy a great sound and if and only if that is true you might want to look in to adding a paid of Play 1's for the rears and maybe even the Sub.

I personally wouldn't waste my money doing this unless you can / do get Dolby out of your TV.

That said there are other ways to get Dolby out like an HDMI Switch but now you are complicating things and adding another remote control.

Also and this is VERY IMPORTANT to remember, the Sonos Playbar does NOT Support Dolby DTS. If you put a DTS Signal in to it you will nothing out of it. This is a HUGE issue especially for today's content of Blu-Ray and other HD Sources.

Been there / done that and ended up going with a full AVR Solution.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1181 of 2049 Old 12-31-2014, 05:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The TV only has digital audio out via coax. There is no optical out on the TV.

I too believe it is a lot to spend for stereo, but I only need to set the thing up.
Forum_jedi is offline  
post #1182 of 2049 Old 12-31-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_jedi View Post
The TV only has digital audio out via coax. There is no optical out on the TV.

I too believe it is a lot to spend for stereo, but I only need to set the thing up.
Not to argue the point but I looked up the model # you mentioned and it clearly has an Optical Out. Maybe the model # is wrong?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1183 of 2049 Old 12-31-2014, 06:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Not to argue the point but I looked up the model # you mentioned and it clearly has an Optical Out. Maybe the model # is wrong?
Not sure what to say; other than I am reading the model number off the side of the TV and there is no optical out.

This is a link to the manual for the TV:

://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/Manuals/tel_man_LC42SB45U_LC42SB45UT.pdf

(Just add http as I can't post a link yet) there is no optical out.
Forum_jedi is offline  
post #1184 of 2049 Old 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_jedi View Post
Not sure what to say; other than I am reading the model number off the side of the TV and there is no optical out.

This is a link to the manual for the TV:

://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/Manuals/tel_man_LC42SB45U_LC42SB45UT.pdf

(Just add http as I can't post a link yet) there is no optical out.
Ok anyway what do you mean Sync with the TV? You mean the Audio / Video are out of Sync? Is it the same (or at lease seem to be the same) Delay on every source? If so then there is an adjustment for that within the Sonos App itself. I don't know about the Phone / Tablet Apps but the desktop software does for sure.

And as I said before the best way to do what you want is to connect everything to the TV and use it as your switch, whatever input you are on will pass the audio out to the "Digital Out" which may or may not pass Dolby.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1185 of 2049 Old 12-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The TV will not split out the audio from an hdmi input, so I went with component cables. This allowed the TV to send an audio signal to the digital audio out and the converter now works.

I think the sound bar sounds like crap, but my father-in-law is happy.

I will probably get him an hdmi switch in the near future; until then, this will work well enough.
Forum_jedi is offline  
post #1186 of 2049 Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I got a Sonos Connect for Christmas and wasn't sure how it would sound connected to my new Surround System. I have to say that I am very impressed with the sound quality. I am listening to The 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music and WOW!!!

I went with the Optical Connection (mostly because I didn't have any coaxal cables kicking around).

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1187 of 2049 Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,854
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3038 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I got a Sonos Connect for Christmas and wasn't sure how it would sound connected to my new Surround System. I have to say that I am very impressed with the sound quality. I am listening to The 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music and WOW!!!

I went with the Optical Connection (mostly because I didn't have any coaxal cables kicking around).
They are awesome little units, and full CD sound quality.

Wait until you get a few of the speaker units (Play1, 2, 3) around the house, and sync them all together for seamless whole house audio....


My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
nathan_h is online now  
post #1188 of 2049 Old 01-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
rotohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
They are awesome little units, and full CD sound quality.

Wait until you get a few of the speaker units (Play1, 2, 3) around the house, and sync them all together for seamless whole house audio....
If you expand into a whole house system then save up for their sub woofer. I have a multiple room system and the sub in the main room is outstanding. IMO it's a must to fully enjoy SONOS and it's a beautiful piece of equipment. Hard to hide it under the couch. I'm a retired 66 yr old pilot and I don't hear high freq anyway so this system gives me the most for my money. If only their soundbar processed DTS and going forward, Atmos I'd have that too. Since you can use both outputs on the Connect (RCA and optical) it feeds two other sound systems in my house. Love SONOS!!
rotohead is offline  
post #1189 of 2049 Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
They are awesome little units, and full CD sound quality.

Wait until you get a few of the speaker units (Play1, 2, 3) around the house, and sync them all together for seamless whole house audio....
I guess I didn't mention that the Connect was in addition to my existing Sonos Equipment which is 1 Play 5 and 4 Play 1's around my house. I had the Playbar / Sub which I loved but got sick of the No DTS Support and trying to downgrade my Blu Ray Rips to AC3, well that and using an HDMI Switch.

So I've been drinking the Sonos Kool-Aid for many years as a matter of fact my "Play 5" isn't even a Play 5 (S5 I believe) its the original version before they renamed them.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1190 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Is there a way to have duplicates of music files? I am starting a collection of FLAC Files and obviously want to use them with my Sonos Connect but don't particularly want to use them for my iPod or something like that.

I was hoping that the multiple accounts feature would allow this but it really isn't more than allowing you to have more than one Pandora account and not two different music collections.

Any thoughts on how to do with relatively painlessly?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1191 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,378
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Is there a way to have duplicates of music files? I am starting a collection of FLAC Files and obviously want to use them with my Sonos Connect but don't particularly want to use them for my iPod or something like that.

Any thoughts on how to do with relatively painlessly?
The Sonos can scan multiple directories. So just add another folder via the Manage Library... menu item.
artur9 is offline  
post #1192 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I havnt purchased a sonos system, but am going to for my new construction house so I'm trying to plan it all out now. A few questions.

I think for budget reasons, I will be just buying two AMP's and using in ceiling speakers throughout my house to use with the AMP. I really wanted a tablet in the wall to be able to use though. Kinda like nathan posted here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post29128865

Where can I find these wall mounts for like a 7inch android? My game plane is to do like a pair of speakers in the kitchen, porch, garage and then a dual voice coil speaker in the master bathroom and in the master bedroom. Buy two amps, maybe 3 and run 2 pairs of speakers of each amp.

Anyways...about these wall mounts...
chugger93 is offline  
post #1193 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
rotohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
Hey everyone,

I havnt purchased a sonos system, but am going to for my new construction house so I'm trying to plan it all out now. A few questions.

I think for budget reasons, I will be just buying two AMP's and using in ceiling speakers throughout my house to use with the AMP. I really wanted a tablet in the wall to be able to use though. Kinda like nathan posted here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post29128865

Where can I find these wall mounts for like a 7inch android? My game plane is to do like a pair of speakers in the kitchen, porch, garage and then a dual voice coil speaker in the master bathroom and in the master bedroom. Buy two amps, maybe 3 and run 2 pairs of speakers of each amp.

Anyways...about these wall mounts...
Kind of like these?

http://www.simplewallmount.com/

I like these. No cutting holes in the wall.
http://hedgie.net/




I also did wall mount speakers in many rooms when I built my house and only regret not taking pictures of the wiring before drywall went up. Might want to do that for future changes.

Last edited by rotohead; 01-04-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Additional text
rotohead is offline  
post #1194 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Kind of like these?

http://www.simplewallmount.com/

I also did wall mount speakers in many rooms when I built my house and only regret not taking pictures of the wiring before drywall went up. Might want to do that for future changes.
ya.. i dont have an ipad though, just 7' and a 10' android
chugger93 is offline  
post #1195 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
The Sonos can scan multiple directories. So just add another folder via the Manage Library... menu item.
I understand that but lets say I have an MP3 Version of whatever CD (say AC / DC Back in Black) and I rip or download a FLAC Version. I know I can get Sonos to Scan the folders / files but I want a way to differentiate between them. I believe I will just end up with two copies and won't know which one is the FLAC Version.

What I was hoping for with the Multiple Accounts Option is that I could have the folders show up under different users but that isn't how the Multiple Accounts works .

Kind of like my library and my g/f's library type of thing.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1196 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I understand that but lets say I have an MP3 Version of whatever CD (say AC / DC Back in Black) and I rip or download a FLAC Version. I know I can get Sonos to Scan the folders / files but I want a way to differentiate between them. I believe I will just end up with two copies and won't know which one is the FLAC Version.

What I was hoping for with the Multiple Accounts Option is that I could have the folders show up under different users but that isn't how the Multiple Accounts works .

Kind of like my library and my g/f's library type of thing.
Do you want Sonos to have access to the songs you purchase from iTunes? If not then it should be as simple as making sure that Sonos is not searching the folders where you keep your iTunes downloads. If you do want Sonos to have access to your iTunes library then it would be more complicated to keep the duplicate AAC/MP3 files from showing up in your Sonos library. As an alternative, if your only reason for keeping the lossy versions is to give you a space-saving version for your iPod then there is another option. If you use ALAC files (which are also lossless) instead of FLAC then you would only need to keep the ALAC version on your PC. Then use the "downsample all high bitrate audio to 128kbps" option in the sync setting for your iPod in iTunes. It will automatically downsample the file prior to syncing it to your iPod, but the downsampled file does not exist on your PC. So you don't need to worry about duplicate files showing up in your Sonos library. The only problem with this option is if you use other devices that do not support ALAC to play back your lossless files.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1197 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,378
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I understand that but lets say I have an MP3 Version of whatever CD (say AC / DC Back in Black) and I rip or download a FLAC Version.
Another way to accomplish this.

Get rid of the MP3 versions of whatever when you get the new FLAC version. Then convert the FLAC to ALAC (both lossless) and put the ALAC version in iTunes.

Assuming your FLAC is not higher resolution than what Sonos can play.
artur9 is offline  
post #1198 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Another way to accomplish this.

Get rid of the MP3 versions of whatever when you get the new FLAC version. Then convert the FLAC to ALAC (both lossless) and put the ALAC version in iTunes.

Assuming your FLAC is not higher resolution than what Sonos can play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Do you want Sonos to have access to the songs you purchase from iTunes? If not then it should be as simple as making sure that Sonos is not searching the folders where you keep your iTunes downloads. If you do want Sonos to have access to your iTunes library then it would be more complicated to keep the duplicate AAC/MP3 files from showing up in your Sonos library. As an alternative, if your only reason for keeping the lossy versions is to give you a space-saving version for your iPod then there is another option. If you use ALAC files (which are also lossless) instead of FLAC then you would only need to keep the ALAC version on your PC. Then use the "downsample all high bitrate audio to 128kbps" option in the sync setting for your iPod in iTunes. It will automatically downsample the file prior to syncing it to your iPod, but the downsampled file does not exist on your PC. So you don't need to worry about duplicate files showing up in your Sonos library. The only problem with this option is if you use other devices that do not support ALAC to play back your lossless files.
A good suggestion however we both have vehicles that accept USB Drives that do not support lossless formats so I need to keep MP3's and I am trying to keep the libraries intact and not have some music here / some there. Obviously there isn't an easy way to accomplish this

Thanks for the suggestions.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1199 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
A good suggestion however we both have vehicles that accept USB Drives that do not support lossless formats so I need to keep MP3's and I am trying to keep the libraries intact and not have some music here / some there. Obviously there isn't an easy way to accomplish this

Thanks for the suggestions.
question for sonos owners; If I had for example a ZONE1 with my kitchen and garage on it,so 4 speakers hooked up to 1 amp...does that mean whatever I play is going to play through in the garage and kitchen..or can I somehow have it so my wife can listen to something while cooking, while I'm in the garage working listening to something else.

Or does that mean automatically that I should have these two areas on separate zones.

Or another seperate thought even, if they were on the same zone, could I use a volume control knob to turn down the music in the kitchen or turn it off, so it can't be heard..but in the garage it still could be.
chugger93 is offline  
post #1200 of 2049 Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
question for sonos owners; If I had for example a ZONE1 with my kitchen and garage on it,so 4 speakers hooked up to 1 amp...does that mean whatever I play is going to play through in the garage and kitchen..or can I somehow have it so my wife can listen to something while cooking, while I'm in the garage working listening to something else.

Or does that mean automatically that I should have these two areas on separate zones.

Or another seperate thought even, if they were on the same zone, could I use a volume control knob to turn down the music in the kitchen or turn it off, so it can't be heard..but in the garage it still could be.
How is this set up? Every Sonos Player (Play 1, PLay 3, Play 5, Connect, Connect Amp and Playbar) are their own "Zone" and you can play either the same thing on each of them buy grouping them together or you can play something separate on each of them at their own volume (even when grouped)

If you are talking about having a Connect Amp with 4 speakers connected to it then that is a single zone / player and you can't have different music playing out of each speaker as they are all connected to the same amp

Am I missing something?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off