Official SONOS owners thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1201 of 2008 Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ya 4 in ceiling speakers on 1 amp, so same music in both rooms....makes sense. You arnt missing anything...I was just making sure..
chugger93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1202 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Anyone out there using their Sonos System with any Lossless Formats?

I just added a Connect to my AVR and want to venture down the Lossless Road but see that while Sonos does support Lossless formats it does have some limitations. Are there limitations across the board?

I was initially going to go with FLAC but see that Sonos does not support 26/96 but doesn't say anything about any limitations for the Apple Lossless format ALAC. I am going to do some experimenting but wonder if anyone has already gone through this pain and can point me in the right direction.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1203 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Well I answered my own question here. I downloaded the HD Demo from HD Tracks in Both FLAC and ALAC and none of them play. I am now thinking that adding the Connect was a useless endeavor especially for the price =(

Man I just can't catch a break with Sonos first I get the playbar and run in to the DTS Issue and now the Connect doesn't really support HD Files. It really seems like Sonos started out so strong but have really gone half-assed with their latest products.

One would think that for the price of these units and how they promote them they would support these higher end audio formats.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1204 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Well I answered my own question here. I downloaded the HD Demo from HD Tracks in Both FLAC and ALAC and none of them play. I am now thinking that adding the Connect was a useless endeavor especially for the price =(

Man I just can't catch a break with Sonos first I get the playbar and run in to the DTS Issue and now the Connect doesn't really support HD Files. It really seems like Sonos started out so strong but have really gone half-assed with their latest products.

One would think that for the price of these units and how they promote them they would support these higher end audio formats.
Sonos does support both FLAC and ALAC lossless formats, but only for sample rates up to 44.1 kHz (i.e. CD quality). So, you can use full lossless CD quality rips/downloads/streaming. They just don't support "hi res" downloads that use sample rates greater than 44.1 kHz (e.g. 48, 88.2, 96, etc.)

See the following wing link for more info...
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...-audio-formats
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1205 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question: If I get like 2 or 3 sonos amps with my individual ceiling speakers in different zones, do I have the flexibility of using sonos to be able to play either different music to each zone, or a party mode for the same music to all zones? How does that work?

Or would I be better off with a sonos connect and monoprice amplifier to do that?
chugger93 is offline  
post #1206 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
Question: If I get like 2 or 3 sonos amps with my individual ceiling speakers in different zones, do I have the flexibility of using sonos to be able to play either different music to each zone, or a party mode for the same music to all zones? How does that work?

Or would I be better off with a sonos connect and monoprice amplifier to do that?
Each Connect Amp would be their own "Zone" and can play the same or different music. If you would just get a single Connect then and connect it to an amp you would only be able to have the same music playing in all of the sources.

So if you want to have different music in each room / zone / location you will need individual players.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1207 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Each Connect Amp would be their own "Zone" and can play the same or different music. If you would just get a single Connect then and connect it to an amp you would only be able to have the same music playing in all of the sources.

So if you want to have different music in each room / zone / location you will need individual players.
Ok thank you. So the android/ios app would allow you to choose which amp to play what music out of it? In the app itself you can select each one of your amps or whatever?
chugger93 is offline  
post #1208 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
jgiddyup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
Ok thank you. So the android/ios app would allow you to choose which amp to play what music out of it? In the app itself you can select each one of your amps or whatever?


Yes

Jgiddyup
jgiddyup is offline  
post #1209 of 2008 Old 01-05-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,370
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
Ok thank you. So the android/ios app would allow you to choose which amp to play what music out of it? In the app itself you can select each one of your amps or whatever?
Yes. What I find interesting is that, when I use the analog input to send a signal from one Connect to another that it can lag between units. But once I group them into "party mode" then they sync perfectly.

Nothing like having Xmas music piped in sync all through the house.
funhouse69 likes this.
artur9 is offline  
post #1210 of 2008 Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,707
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
A good suggestion however we both have vehicles that accept USB Drives that do not support lossless formats so I need to keep MP3's and I am trying to keep the libraries intact and not have some music here / some there. Obviously there isn't an easy way to accomplish this

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm not sure what counts as "easy" but the solution I have found is:

Two folders on my computer/NAS:

1) FLAC
2) Copies of FLAC, as MP3

SONOS only knows about the FLAC folder.

I use the MP3 folder to fill my mobile devices.

I guess the only thing that might be easier is to create MP3 on the fly from the FLAC when copying over to a mobile device or USB stick, but in practice, that makes the process of filling the phone or stick too slow.


My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
nathan_h is offline  
post #1211 of 2008 Old 01-07-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,795
Mentioned: 412 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5802 Post(s)
Liked: 5660
There needs to be a service where someone can view your entire library, and go find any/all flac or lossless files they possibly can to replace your older mp3 or low bitrate files....That would be nice.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1212 of 2008 Old 01-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

As far as knobs go, if I were to get the sonos AMP and use 4 speakers with it, 2 in 1 room and 2 in another. Each would get their own knob, would these work??
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AE...+control+knobs

Or is 100 watts too much?

Also, would I be doing this setup at 8ohms? The ceiling speakers I would be getting are the ones at monoprice at 8ohms.
chugger93 is offline  
post #1213 of 2008 Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
Hey everyone,

As far as knobs go, if I were to get the sonos AMP and use 4 speakers with it, 2 in 1 room and 2 in another. Each would get their own knob, would these work??
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AE...+control+knobs

Or is 100 watts too much?

Also, would I be doing this setup at 8ohms? The ceiling speakers I would be getting are the ones at monoprice at 8ohms.
This is from the Sonos Website about using multiple sets of speakers the a Connect Amp

The Connect: Amp is designed for a single pair of speakers- it is a stereo amplifier, right and left channel. However, if your speakers are rated at 8 ohms, you can wire up to 2 pairs, or 4 speakers, to one Connect: Amp- you just won’t have independent control between those two pairs of speakers, in terms of volume and music selection.



I am not sure about adding in the volume modules you mentioned, you could however get two different connect amps and use one for each room this would give you so much more flexibility as you would be able to control them individually, group them together as well as have the same or even different music playing in each room.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1214 of 2008 Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to get two amps, just not right up front. The problem is...in this new house I'm building, its very large. I will end up having like 4-5 zones, but I refuse to buy 4-5 amps at $500 a piece. So I really need to put 4 speakers on each amp if possible. However you are telling me, I might not be able to do volume control in the way that I'm looking to do it. ?
chugger93 is offline  
post #1215 of 2008 Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
I am going to get two amps, just not right up front. The problem is...in this new house I'm building, its very large. I will end up having like 4-5 zones, but I refuse to buy 4-5 amps at $500 a piece. So I really need to put 4 speakers on each amp if possible. However you are telling me, I might not be able to do volume control in the way that I'm looking to do it. ?
Honestly I would contact Sonos, their support is very responsive / top notch and see what they say / suggest. I am sure there is a way to accomplish it, you just need to make sure you don't overload the amp.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1216 of 2008 Old 01-12-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
I am going to get two amps, just not right up front. The problem is...in this new house I'm building, its very large. I will end up having like 4-5 zones, but I refuse to buy 4-5 amps at $500 a piece. So I really need to put 4 speakers on each amp if possible. However you are telling me, I might not be able to do volume control in the way that I'm looking to do it. ?
You would not be able to independently control the volume thru the Sonos app. Any time you go to adjust the volume from the Sonos app, it would adjust the volume for all 4 speakers.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 01-12-2015 at 09:15 AM.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1217 of 2008 Old 01-12-2015, 06:57 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Damn this is getting complicated. With the CONNECT though I would need to buy a separate AMP right? Seems like the setup will get more complicated this route. Why wouldnt I be able to control the volume through the app? If I had 1 zone spread across two different rooms..if I didnt want to hear it or at a lower level in one room, I would turn it all the way down in that room. The app would provide some volume level control, and the knob would allow for more granularity, no?

Again, I know the app would control all 4 speakers, which is why I would need the knobs for further control. (I think)


Here's my answer: http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php...09&postcount=2

Last edited by chugger93; 01-12-2015 at 07:01 AM.
chugger93 is offline  
post #1218 of 2008 Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
Damn this is getting complicated. With the CONNECT though I would need to buy a separate AMP right? Seems like the setup will get more complicated this route. Why wouldnt I be able to control the volume through the app? If I had 1 zone spread across two different rooms..if I didnt want to hear it or at a lower level in one room, I would turn it all the way down in that room. The app would provide some volume level control, and the knob would allow for more granularity, no?

Again, I know the app would control all 4 speakers, which is why I would need the knobs for further control. (I think)


Here's my answer: http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php...09&postcount=2
The Sonos "Connect" is a Pre Amp out only / Does not have an Amplifier in it, most people (like myself) will buy one to connect to their Existing Stereo Receiver, my friend has one connected to a Receiver that has multi-room support and does have wall mounted "Volume Controls" and it works well for him.

The Connect Amp as you know has its own built in Amp and has terminal for a single pair of speakers to connect to it. But as you read you can connect two pairs, the only question is if you can use the volume controls in each room. I would say you can but you don't want to damage the Sonos Amp so this is where the concern it.

I really don't know what the best direction for you to go in is, this is really personal preference. You could certainly try it and I assume that the Sonos Amp has some level of protection built in to it that would shut it down if you would put an unsafe load on it.

And you are correct about the App, it controls the output of the device itself (doesn't matter which one) so if you have multiple speakers connected to it (with the Sonos Amp) or through an Amplifier (which just a Connect) you will control the volume of ALL of the speakers at one time not individually.

I know they are not cheap (and don't go on sale) but they are considered one of the best, the others out there like it are even more expensive (like the new Denon version) so if there is any way possible to buy two Connect Amps I would strongly suggest it, you will NOT be disappointed and you won't need to install the wall mounted controls and gain all of the other functionality as well.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1219 of 2008 Old 01-13-2015, 05:33 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Think i got my answer below from their customer support


Hello,


Thank you for contacting Sonos customer care.

You can certainly attach up to four speakers to a CONNECT:AMP. Below I have a provided a link which I believe will provide you with a lot more information about the capabilities of the CONNECT:AMP.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269

Also you can use volume control as long as the impedance is matching. Sonos is very easy to set up but if you incur any problems you can always contact us.

I hope this information is useful to you, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Your reference number for this incident is 150112-002026.

Kind Regards,

Harry P
Sonos Customer Care
chugger93 is offline  
post #1220 of 2008 Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on that link above and the parallel wiring diagram that sonos drew up...would my mockup below be a good example of the same parallel wiring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonos-temp.jpg
Views:	3349
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	476242  
chugger93 is offline  
post #1221 of 2008 Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 354
but I refuse to buy 4-5 amps at $500 apiece.’!

Save yourself an awful lot of grief and wire for and install the 4 or 5 Sonos Zones – the more flexible the system the better, anything else in a multi-inhabitant house and you will be kicking ourself once you get the hang of how flexible the system could have been before you made your ‘savings’.

How often will you use Zone 3 and how large an area are you trying to cover (having a pair of speakers bolted to the house blaringaway is no fun).




Joe
nathan_h, jgiddyup and funhouse69 like this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Joe Fernand is offline  
post #1222 of 2008 Old 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
but I refuse to buy 4-5 amps at $500 apiece.’!

Save yourself an awful lot of grief and wire for and install the 4 or 5 Sonos Zones – the more flexible the system the better, anything else in a multi-inhabitant house and you will be kicking ourself once you get the hang of how flexible the system could have been before you made your ‘savings’.

How often will you use Zone 3 and how large an area are you trying to cover (having a pair of speakers bolted to the house blaringaway is no fun).




Joe
I'm certainly going to wire for 4-5 zones, but only buy 1 or 2 amps up front when we move into the house. That's all I'm saying. Zone 3 would be used alot in the summer and such. Back porch music would be awesome with guests over. No?
chugger93 is offline  
post #1223 of 2008 Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 AM
TL5
Advanced Member
 
TL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I just got my Sonos system.... A Connect & 3 Play 1's. I love it except my controller (iphone) shows no album art. Can I fix this?
TL5 is offline  
post #1224 of 2008 Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,795
Mentioned: 412 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5802 Post(s)
Liked: 5660
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
I'm certainly going to wire for 4-5 zones, but only buy 1 or 2 amps up front when we move into the house. That's all I'm saying. Zone 3 would be used alot in the summer and such. Back porch music would be awesome with guests over. No?
This is what I went sonos for basically. Two zones outside on a multi-zone amp. The only manual part is I have to select which zones I want playing (which is 90% of the time both), but the volume is controlled through the zone2 of my theater AVP, which grants me separate volume control over the main zone (theater room). it is quite nice when sitting outside to be able to volume control the outdoor speakers via an iphone app, and not have anything change inside

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1225 of 2008 Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
This is what I went sonos for basically. Two zones outside on a multi-zone amp. The only manual part is I have to select which zones I want playing (which is 90% of the time both), but the volume is controlled through the zone2 of my theater AVP, which grants me separate volume control over the main zone (theater room). it is quite nice when sitting outside to be able to volume control the outdoor speakers via an iphone app, and not have anything change inside
+1

To Chugger,

Having wall mounted volume controls is a nice backup in case you don't have your phone/tablet on you, but I would much rather have independent volume control for each zone thru an app than be forced to get up and turn the volume up/down in the room I am in without it impacting the volume in another room.

For example. Let's say that I am in the garage listening to music and my wife is in the kitchen listening to the same thing. Her phone rings. Is she really going to walk over to the wall-mounted controls to turn the volume down or is she just going to turn it down in the app and then answer the call? If the speakers in the garage and kitchen are fed by the same Connect:Amp then any change she makes in the Sonos app is going to affect the volume in the garage.

If she wants to talk on the phone for an hour am I just going to listen to nothing the whole time? Naturally, I would want to turn the volume up again, but I can't use the app because that would turn the volume up in both rooms again. And if she turned the volume all the way down in the app then adjusting the wall-mounted volume control in the garage will do nothing. So, I would have to go in the kitchen and turn the volume down there, so that I can turn it back up in the app, allowing me to hear something in the garage again without disturbing her.

Let's say that she only turned it down most of the way in the app. Technically, I could just turn the volume up on the wall-mounted controls in the garage. But then, when my wife gets off of the phone, she may decide to turn the volume back up in the kitchen, using the app. Suddenly, the volume level in the garage goes from something comfortable to blaringly loud. So, I have to stop what I am doing again to go turn the volume down in the garage, using the wall-mounted controls.

Pretty soon my wife and I would have to make an agreement never to use the Sonos app to control the volume unless the wall-mounted volume controls in the other room are set to "off".

Using a separate Sonos device in each zone gives you the most flexibility. But, if you want music in 4 or more rooms, using in-ceiling/in-wall speakers and don't want to spend the money on 4 Connect:Amps up front then I would strongly recommend one of the following options...

1) buy Play 1's to use as a temporary solution in 2 or 3 of the zones so that you don't have the same Connect:Amp powering speakers in two different rooms. 1 Connect:Amp + 3 Play 1's would run you about $1,100. You can always repurpose the Play 1's in the future if you decide to buy another Connect:Amp to power another one of the rooms.

2) buy a Connect instead of a Connect:Amp and then run the output of the Connect into a 4 zone, 4 source amplifier that can be controlled via app. This would give you the independent volume control via app that was missing. And you can always add more Connects in the future if you want more than a single Sonos source. In the mean time, you can connect a CD player or something else you already own to use as a 2nd/3rd/4th source. A 4 zone, 4 source amplifier + 1 Connect shouldn't cost more than $1,500, which is still cheaper than 4 Connect:Amps. In fact you should be able to swing a 4 zone, 4 source amp and 2 Connects for less than the price of 4 Connect:Amps. The only way it would cost you more in the long run is if you eventually decided to buy 3 or 4 Connects. At $150 price difference between a Connect and a Connect:Amp, the Connect:Amp is a good bargain if you don't already have an external amp or if you are only planning to do 3 zones at most (you can't get a 3 zone, 3 source amp for $450). But once, you get to 4 zones, there are options for external amplification that are competitive with regards to price, as long as you can run wires from a single location (where you keep the amp) to all of the speakers.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 01-14-2015 at 10:44 AM.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1226 of 2008 Old 01-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Member
 
chugger93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe you are making this too complicated bro. First off, she would never use the app, that much I can guarantee, so she would walk over to the knob and use that to turn it down. Point simply, why can't I just use the app to put it to a fairly low level (15%) and keep it there (forever) or whatnot..and use the knobs to independently turn up and down the volume? Seems pretty easy to me
chugger93 is offline  
post #1227 of 2008 Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
Maybe you are making this too complicated bro. First off, she would never use the app, that much I can guarantee, so she would walk over to the knob and use that to turn it down. Point simply, why can't I just use the app to put it to a fairly low level (15%) and keep it there (forever) or whatnot..and use the knobs to independently turn up and down the volume? Seems pretty easy to me
You can, so long as you both agree not to mess with the volume in the app. I guess your wife must be different than mine. Mine would want to be able to control what was playing, using her iPad/iPhone. And the second I showed her how to work the Sonos app so that she can select different streaming services/songs, I can guarantee that she would start using the volume controls in the app rather than walking over to the wall controls. Maybe you could set up Roomie Remote on a mobile device/PC for her to use (since it can be used to control Sonos devices) and customize it so that there is no volume control in the app. That way she has to use the wall controls for volume.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #1228 of 2008 Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
SeldomSeen31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I use a connect with the fixed volume setting. It plugs into a sonnance 4 source 6 zone amp as 1 source. I have 3 raspberry Pis as the other sources. I use irule for controlling source selection, volume, etc. It is not as slick as multiple Sonos amps would be, but much cheaper. Sonnance was found on ebay for a steal.

Irule links it allwith the ability to launch the Sonos app, my j river app for the pis and control everything with my custom interface with tablet or phone.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
SeldomSeen31 is offline  
post #1229 of 2008 Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
What is it about my setup that every time I add in a new device my whole setup becomes unstable? It happens every single time. I recently added in a Connect and since then I can't seem to get anything to play any source for more than 20 minutes without it stopping.

I've powered everything down and powered them backup one at a time starting with the one connected to my Network and still the same.

I am 100% sure I don't have any IP Conflicts as I am using DHCP Reservations for all of my Sonos Devices.

I check the Network Matrix page and it all looks good / nothing glaringly wrong.

This is driving me nuts!!!

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #1230 of 2008 Old 01-20-2015, 02:39 AM
Senior Member
 
knoxtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
What is it about my setup that every time I add in a new device my whole setup becomes unstable? It happens every single time. I recently added in a Connect and since then I can't seem to get anything to play any source for more than 20 minutes without it stopping.

I've powered everything down and powered them backup one at a time starting with the one connected to my Network and still the same.

I am 100% sure I don't have any IP Conflicts as I am using DHCP Reservations for all of my Sonos Devices.

I check the Network Matrix page and it all looks good / nothing glaringly wrong.

This is driving me nuts!!!
Something similar happened to me - I think it was my wireless Panasonic phones

First thing to try...change the Sonos channel to something different like Channel 11 or if it is on CHannel 11 - try 6 (that worked for me)

If that doesn't work......save the diagnostics using the Sonos help and call Sonos tech. support.
Joe Fernand likes this.
knoxtn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off