Official SONOS owners thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 106Likes

post #1321 of 1951 Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2803 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Yeah, it's kind of surprising to be perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong. Sonos works really, really well overall, but it seems that they haven't made too many advances in the many years they've been around. I'm bummed they've ditched the physical keypads too. I really liked those a lot.

You're right. The buffer and power draws were totally acceptable, and even good for the time they initially came out, but for being the year 2015, they should EASILY be able to buffer as much as they want to, and they should EASILY have a true standby mode that could at least get them down to the 2 watt range. 5 watts seems a bit steep for a device that's not even doing anything but waiting for a command to start playing something.

Hopefully they make a substantial update soon as $350-500 is a bit steep for such outdated tech. Again, don't get me wrong. It's a great product overall, and I do like them a lot, BUT perhaps their overwhelming success may caused their development team to get a bit too relaxed.
Remember, when a device is not doing anything, it is still maintaining the mesh network, indexing your library, etc., in addition to waiting for a command.

While not cutting edge hardware wise, for all models, some of the limitations are acceptable and understandable to me: They place a premium of backwards compatibility, stability and usability. The first of those is VERY important to me. I've been burned too many times by having tech that still functions become landfill just because the manufacturer has decided to abandon earlier hardware. I realize that in some ways, maintaining compatibility has probably held Sonos back (e.g., the library size limits, the 44.1kz limit) but I find that to be acceptable versus the alternative of obsoleting my investment.

And I think the modest upgrades to the usability of the control apps, allowing wifi access, and commendable speed with which new online services are added all point to keeping things useful and relevant for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1951 Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 768
^^Very true. Great points.
post #1323 of 1951 Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Need a user friendly Flac to Alac converting program for my new iMac to play on Sonos

I have been a Windows person all of my life and just took the leap and purchased an iMac.The issue I am encountering is that I used Media Monkey to convert my massive CD library to FLAC files to play on my Sonos system which Apple does not recognize. I am looking for a easy to use program that will not only convert my FLAC files to ALAC but also save all of the album covers I have tagged using Media Monkey and then import everything into iTunes and also be able to play them on my Sonos system.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1951 Old 09-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
I have been a Windows person all of my life and just took the leap and purchased an iMac.The issue I am encountering is that I used Media Monkey to convert my massive CD library to FLAC files to play on my Sonos system which Apple does not recognize. I am looking for a easy to use program that will not only convert my FLAC files to ALAC but also save all of the album covers I have tagged using Media Monkey and then import everything into iTunes and also be able to play them on my Sonos system.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
This is one of the best pieces of software I have ever purchased! It runs on PC or OSX. I used it to RIP my entire CD collection to FLAC and then to convert the whole thing in duplicate to MP3. It will convert to ALAC. Also it will find missing album art and album information.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com

Just fyi when you purchase it the company is in Europe so your charge will look weird on your statement or you CC company might initially flag the purchase.

Hope this helps!
post #1325 of 1951 Old 09-05-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
I am looking for a easy to use program that will not only convert my FLAC files to ALAC but also save all of the album covers I have tagged using Media Monkey and then import everything into iTunes and also be able to play them on my Sonos system.
I use XLD or ffmpeg/sox etc from the command line. But then again I'm moving away from iTunes.
Toltec21 likes this.
post #1326 of 1951 Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I use XLD or ffmpeg/sox etc from the command line. But then again I'm moving away from iTunes.
I downloaded XLD and will give it a try.

Stay tuned and thanks to all for the quick response!
post #1327 of 1951 Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is Playbar + Sub Enough for good Living Room Audio?

Hi there. I am a happy Sonos user for audio in my apartment, and I am now setting up a system in a house.

I am planning to buy a LG EC9300 as my TV, which I believe does not pass 5.1 through the optical, and so can't drive a 5.1 Sonos system. I am okay with that, as I'm fine using just the Playbar and the Sub for the TV in the living room (the room is approx. 14' x 24').

My question flows from the fact that the living room is also where the stereo system is centered (turntable, CD, receiver) and I am planning on running everything through Sonos and not having separate speakers. Recognizing this is of course subjective, does anyone have a view on whether the Playbar+Sub will likely be sufficient for my music needs in the living room, or do you think I will need to add Play1s or Play3s to fill out the sound in the room?

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Shemmy
post #1328 of 1951 Old 09-06-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemmy View Post
Hi there. I am a happy Sonos user for audio in my apartment, and I am now setting up a system in a house.

I am planning to buy a LG EC9300 as my TV, which I believe does not pass 5.1 through the optical, and so can't drive a 5.1 Sonos system. I am okay with that, as I'm fine using just the Playbar and the Sub for the TV in the living room (the room is approx. 14' x 24').
Seems a little big for just a playbar and sub. But you can always add more Sonos players later as you discover a need for more power.
post #1329 of 1951 Old 09-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just bought a Play:1 last week and it is one of the nicest pieces of hardware I have ever bought. I am very impressed with the bass that the little thing can produce. I know it helps when it is placed in a corner and it happens to fit perfectly in top of the cabinet in the kitchen/dining room leaving about 2 inches above it and 2 inches to one side wall.

I have a Logitech Squeezebox Duet connected to the living room AVR, and I will definately replace it with a Connect later. And maybe another Play:1 in the bathroom.

I do miss one function that I have on my Squeezebox. I think it would be nice to have an easier way to find albums that have been added to my NAS recently.

Michael
post #1330 of 1951 Old 09-09-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lund Milo View Post
I do miss one function that I have on my Squeezebox. I think it would be nice to have an easier way to find albums that have been added to my NAS recently.

Michael
Like a "New Albums" list that updates automatically? Or something else?
post #1331 of 1951 Old 09-09-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
FYI for those Playbar owners that also are big Apple TV users (like myself), sadly the newly announced Apple TV coming out this October is losing the optical audio out and going strictly HDMI. A big bummer and illustrates the vulnerability with the optical audio connection. I've made it thus far, but can now see the salty waters of obsolescence encroaching...

Here are the new specs: http://www.apple.com/tv/specs/
post #1332 of 1951 Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post
FYI for those Playbar owners that also are big Apple TV users (like myself), sadly the newly announced Apple TV coming out this October is losing the optical audio out and going strictly HDMI.
There are adapters that can extract the audio from HDMI and output it onto optical.
post #1333 of 1951 Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Like a "New Albums" list that updates automatically? Or something else?
Precisely. On my Squeezebox I have set it up so that if i select "New Music" only the latest 25 added albums are shown (I can set change the number in the setup if I wish to have fewer albums shown in "New MUsic", and it is beeing updated next time a scan is performed). I know I can browse through the directory from the Sonos app, but I just think a dedicated "New Music" option would be nice.

Michael
post #1334 of 1951 Old 09-10-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
FYI for those Playbar owners that also are big Apple TV users (like myself), sadly the newly announced Apple TV coming out this October is losing the optical audio out and going strictly HDMI. A big bummer and illustrates the vulnerability with the optical audio connection. I've made it thus far, but can now see the salty waters of obsolescence encroaching...

I'm an existing Sonos user, but looking to add the Playbar. Doesn't the signal run into the TV and out to the Playbar through the TV's optical out? Is the issue that this loses 5.1, or that it won't work at all?

Shemmy
post #1335 of 1951 Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
There are adapters that can extract the audio from HDMI and output it onto optical.
+1 - piece of cake to do it

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #1336 of 1951 Old 09-12-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemmy View Post
I'm an existing Sonos user, but looking to add the Playbar. Doesn't the signal run into the TV and out to the Playbar through the TV's optical out? Is the issue that this loses 5.1, or that it won't work at all?
Shemmy, there's lots of data out there on this barrier, and I've forgotten all the important terminology, but very few TV's output DD5.1 via the optical out—unless it's a signal generated from the TV like an over the air HD broadcast. That's been my experience. To revisit that difference, a blu ray player or streaming box attached via HDMI to your tv, will get the DD5.1 stripped when outputted throughout the optical out. A few TV mights pass the signal through. But most do not. So when it comes to a content source connected to your TV via HDMI, it's very likely the optical out from the TV would provide you a 2.0 signal that the Playbar will utilize to produce a Dolby Pro Logic (simulated surround) sound field.

Sonos provides a list of manufacturers and models with brief descriptions of their audio output here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...th-the-playbar

The solution is to get the DD5.1 audio signal from the Source, i.e., in my case an Apple TV 3 or my Blu Ray Player, straight to the Playbar via optical cable.

Hope that helps.
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #1337 of 1951 Old 09-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Official SONOS owners thread

Quote:
I downloaded XLD and will give it a try.

Stay tuned and thanks to all for the quick response!

I use XLD, xAct, Tag, and Max in that order. May seem like overkill but it provides me the most reliable rips with perfect metadata.

XLD - rips to wav and flac
xAct - checksums above files (then trash the wav files)
Tag - makes metadata "perfect"
Max - converts flac to MP3 and auto-imports to iTunes

Last edited by timmo; 09-12-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #1338 of 1951 Old 09-13-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's not cool. I'm ok with Apple TV going HDMI only, but I think it's crazy that the Sonos doesn't bother implementing HDMI on the playbar...especially in the year 2015...and especially for it's steep price.
post #1339 of 1951 Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just noticed a new (to me) issue. We are watching the Republican debate by streaming it from CNN.com with a laptop connected to our TV, playing the audio through PLAYBAR. I grouped the TV audio to some other zones so we could listen in other rooms, and within a minute or so the video feed died. Verified by running speedtests than when I group the TV audio to other zones, wi-fi speed plummets. The TV audio also stops playing in at least one other zone which may be related.

My Sonos system uses SonosNet with a Play3 connected with wire to the router.

Is the TV audio that much of a burden on the network?

Edit: Seems to be OK now, maybe it was a passing network issue. Will keep an eye on it!

Last edited by bswiz; 09-16-2015 at 08:45 PM.
post #1340 of 1951 Old 09-18-2015, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
kindle fire tablets as controllers

I was thinking at this price $49 these would be great for in wall controllers. Do all kindle fire's have access to sonos app (if I recall amazon has a limited google marketplace and not the complete google store)?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE/...TNRGTTN6FVAZKM

They also advertising make it a 6pack deal (buy 5 get 1 free). This would be awesome for me if it works!!!!!

Thanks
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #1341 of 1951 Old 09-18-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
We are watching the Republican debate ... and within a minute or so the video feed died.
Some might say that's a feature

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #1342 of 1951 Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusiveTN View Post
I was thinking at this price $49 these would be great for in wall controllers. Do all kindle fire's have access to sonos app (if I recall amazon has a limited google marketplace and not the complete google store)?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE/...TNRGTTN6FVAZKM

They also advertising make it a 6pack deal (buy 5 get 1 free). This would be awesome for me if it works!!!!!
Hey! That's actually one heck of a great idea!!! $250 for 6 in-wall controllers?!
post #1343 of 1951 Old 09-22-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, I'm sure this is a FAQ, but since there are no stickies here...What the heck happened over at Sonos? I went to visit the Sonos form today and ended up on some "Community" site instead. Doesn't look a thing like the old forums. It also looks like the support number has changed to somewhere in Europe??

Color me behind the times, but when did this happen?? I tried a google search about it as well and came up with nothing? I have 8 perfectly functional ZonePlayers and hope that this isn't the end of the line for them...
post #1344 of 1951 Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit View Post
So, I'm sure this is a FAQ, but since there are no stickies here...What the heck happened over at Sonos? I went to visit the Sonos form today and ended up on some "Community" site instead. Doesn't look a thing like the old forums. It also looks like the support number has changed to somewhere in Europe??

Color me behind the times, but when did this happen?? I tried a google search about it as well and came up with nothing? I have 8 perfectly functional ZonePlayers and hope that this isn't the end of the line for them...
Ha - the same thing happened to me. From what I can tell, they scrapped the old forums in favor of the new one which is more incorporated into the official Sonos website. In doing so (in my opinion) they made it a lot more confusing to use and lost functionality.

It's just the forums that are changing, I don't think you have anything to worry about with regards to your ZPs or the future of the company. I still see the US 800 # for support.
post #1345 of 1951 Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 PM

I have now had my Play:1 for about a month and i must say that I listen to way more music than earlier before. I found out that the Play:1 can actually read the playlists that I created on my Logitech Squeezebox. I simply find them in "Imported Playlists" and save them as a Sonos playlist, so I don't have to create the playlists again.

I will probably get a Sonos:Connect later this year and connect it to my AVR in the living room later this year.

And maybe another Play:1 for the bathroom.

/ Michael
post #1346 of 1951 Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 PM

I have now had my Play:1 for about a month and i must say that I listen to way more music than earlier before. I found out that the Play:1 can actually read the playlists that I created on my Logitech Squeezebox. I simply find them in "Imported Playlists" and save them as a Sonos playlist, so I don't have to create the playlists again.

I will probably get a Sonos:Connect later this year and connect it to my AVR in the living room later this year.

/ Michael
funhouse69 likes this.
post #1347 of 1951 Old 10-02-2015, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lund Milo View Post

/ Michael
Welcome to the addition, be careful it all adds up fast BUT the good news is you can always sell them for almost as much as you paid for them =)

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1348 of 1951 Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone seen a release date for the new SONOS Play 5?
post #1349 of 1951 Old 10-24-2015, 03:36 PM

We Playbar and surround set up owners know and manage life with our one Toslink connection. I also am aware there are numerous connector/switching options (some might be in a box here at home), but I want as clutter free a set up as possible for my Sonos Playbar and surround system, and everything functions pretty great.

FYI, we enjoy life with our Apple TV serving as our primary source of content, with hdmi to our TV and the Toslink output to the Playbar.

Thinking about existing connections options to the Playbar in addition to the Toslink input, we've got TWO ethernet connections on the back of the Playbar. I'll be asking Sonos directly what they think can be done with those two presumably "high bandwidth" connections, but does anyone know of the potential of that connection?

My question here is could the Playbar ethernet connection conceivably receive audio signal from appropriate sources? I'm pretty ignorant of how exactly this data and connection technology works, and am wondering if the Playbar ethernet connection could conceivably receive high bandwidth audio as well as receive digital data from the internet or network and serve as a "bridge" in the absence of the sources using Toslink.
post #1350 of 1951 Old 10-24-2015, 03:36 PM

We Playbar and surround set up owners know and manage life with our one Toslink connection. I also am aware there are numerous connector/switching options (some might be in a box here at home), but I want as clutter free a set up as possible for my Sonos Playbar and surround system, and everything functions pretty great.

FYI, we enjoy our setup with our Apple TV serving as our primary source of content, with hdmi out to our TV and the Toslink output to the Playbar.

Thinking about existing connections options to the Playbar in addition to the Toslink input, we've got TWO ethernet connections on the back of the Playbar. I'll be asking Sonos directly what they think can be done with those two presumably "high bandwidth" connections, but does anyone know of the potential of that connection?

My question here is could the Playbar ethernet connection conceivably receive audio signal from appropriate sources? I'm pretty ignorant of how exactly this data and connection technology works, and am wondering if the Playbar ethernet connection could conceivably receive high bandwidth audio as well as receive digital data from the internet or network and serve as a "bridge" in the absence of the sources using Toslink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page