Official SONOS owners thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #1831 of 1854 Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Has anyone noticed balance or EQ settings getting weird? Since a recent update the stereo pair I have in my bedroom basically won't respond to changes in balance, this is important since one of the speakers is right next to my head and the other is much farther away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1854 Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for Sonos 9.1 installer for Mac or Windows

Sonos 9.1 is the last version that would still support the Sonos Dock, which I have and still use.

Last edited by Mac.Concierge; 03-08-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #1833 of 1854 Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking for some help. I've given up on trying to utilize the Phono stage input on my new Denon with my Sonos Connect. Pre-outs from the AVR to the Connect introduce noticeable delay to other Sonos speakers unless I run from Turntable to the Connect FIRST, but I can't do that because the TT doesn't have a built in phono pre-amp. I had this working flawlessly on my old Pio Elite, but it was a dinosaur and had Tape In/Tape Out-- no delay even with DSP.

So, I just picked up a pre-amp: Amazon Prime Same-day to the rescue.

Here's my question:

If I have ZERO delay using my Sonos Connect with my AVR for internet radio, spotify, etc., then is it safe to say, if I insert a pre-amp between the TT and the Connect and then go line-out from Connect to my AVR, I can expect similar results with no delay?

I still don't quite fully understand why this new setup is not working. I understand that the Connect inserts a delay caused by buffering so that all speakers are in sync, but I don't quite get why it used to work before on the old AVR.

Anyway, can someone give me some reassurance on my assumption above?

TIA

"the one who has the most fun wins."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 1854 Old 05-08-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
Looking for some help. I've given up on trying to utilize the Phono stage input on my new Denon with my Sonos Connect. Pre-outs from the AVR to the Connect introduce noticeable delay to other Sonos speakers unless I run from Turntable to the Connect FIRST, but I can't do that because the TT doesn't have a built in phono pre-amp. I had this working flawlessly on my old Pio Elite, but it was a dinosaur and had Tape In/Tape Out-- no delay even with DSP.

So, I just picked up a pre-amp: Amazon Prime Same-day to the rescue.

Here's my question:

If I have ZERO delay using my Sonos Connect with my AVR for internet radio, spotify, etc., then is it safe to say, if I insert a pre-amp between the TT and the Connect and then go line-out from Connect to my AVR, I can expect similar results with no delay?

I still don't quite fully understand why this new setup is not working. I understand that the Connect inserts a delay caused by buffering so that all speakers are in sync, but I don't quite get why it used to work before on the old AVR.

Anyway, can someone give me some reassurance on my assumption above?

TIA
Maybe related, I can't get my Denon X6400 to play in sync with my Sonos because the Denon is processing the signal with Audyssey. If you run the receiver in direct mode, it is in sync. It's just a little delay, but enough to be maddening. The problem with this is I have 9 speakers and 4 subs and they won't run in direct mode, stereo only!

I used to use Internet radio all the time, but now it uses Heos so it becomes more difficult than just pushing a button to play your last station. Last weekend I tried plugging my stereo pre-output from the Denon into the connect but it didn't work, I got no audio. I plugged my tivo stereo out into it and it did, I was just trying to get tv audio around the house so I didn't pursue it further. The Tivo is connected via hdmi, so I'm not sure why it didn't work.
post #1835 of 1854 Old 05-11-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
eIf I have ZERO delay using my Sonos Connect with my AVR for internet radio, spotify, etc., then is it safe to say, if I insert a pre-amp between the TT and the Connect and then go line-out from Connect to my AVR, I can expect similar results with no delay?
That is my understanding. I do a similar thing with a bluetooth dongle that I stream content to. That dongle is connected to the line in on the Sonos Connect. The SONOS connect digital output is connected to my AVR. My AVR audio and all the other Sonos devices are in sync. Note that I do not do any processing in the AVR other than subwoofer bass management crossover stuff.

I am making the assumption that the analog output from a bluetooth receiver and the analog output from a turntable pre-amp will both behave the same way and that your AVR itself is not going to add delay (ie, through room correction software, or some kind of A/V sync setting you use for video playback, etc.).

I don't think I understand your description of your old setup well enough to hazard a guess how it was working.
post #1836 of 1854 Old 06-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Anyone know what spec is require for the new Sonos Amp to power 6 speakers that aren't from them? It seems ridiculous to be forced to buy their speakers in order to use 6 speakers. Especially with outdoor speakers where the sound quality is not near as important (at least for me).

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #1837 of 1854 Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Anyone know what spec is require for the new Sonos Amp to power 6 speakers that aren't from them? It seems ridiculous to be forced to buy their speakers in order to use 6 speakers. Especially with outdoor speakers where the sound quality is not near as important (at least for me).
Your best bet is probably to use a Connect along with a multi channel home distribution amp.
post #1838 of 1854 Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
Your best bet is probably to use a Connect along with a multi channel home distribution amp.
Yep! I have been doing it this way for close to 10 years now with a Connect connected to my AVP, which allows for my HT to play off zone 1, then an 8 channel 4 zone Sherbourne amp connected via zone 2, which handles 3 different setups, all outdoors, but could easily be indoor/outdoor for your specific needs. Works fabulously and with the modern receivers from Denon/Marantz, Yammy, Onkyo, and even the boutique higher end stuff, their "Apps" for AVR control via your phone typically allow for separate volume control for your main zone and secondary zone. The only downside to this you don't get more granular control of the volumes for each separate room like you would with all sonos speakers as an alternative. Since three of my zones are outside, I dont need to control each zone's volume independently so a single volume control for all three is fine for me. If you really wanted to you could install an in-line attenuator for different zones/speakers if you really needed it.

Another method is an independent multi-zone amp with a Connect for each room or stereo pair you want independent control of, then install the outdoor or in-ceiling speakers of your choice from there, but from a cost standpoint you'll end up being about where you would be if you just bought sonos speakers to begin with. This way does however allow you to choose your own speakers, so if you ever were to change to a different system that is non-sonos and sold off your connects, you would still have a house full of speakers already wired for what may come around next

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1839 of 1854 Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can always get a 4 speaker selector. Most amps can handle running 2 sets of speakers without a problem. They just set up the speakers in serial. I have done that for speaker testing. Monoprice has them for ~$20.

https://www.monoprice.com/category/a...me-controllers

I have my connect going to my 13 speaker avr (no amp), but I have to run it in direct if I want it in sync with the Sonos system. The Audyssey processing adds enough delay that it is just noticeable, so my 4 subs sit idle...
post #1840 of 1854 Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

I've always wondered why Sonos doesn't make something like the HEOS Drive, it seems like kind of a no-brainer but their entire custom install strategy seems to be "buy a bunch of Amps and rack mount them."
post #1841 of 1854 Old 06-27-2019, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping someone here can provide me guidance. I have multiple Echo Dots (v1) throughout the house (2 in separate kids rooms, 1 in master and 1 outside). The kids use them to ask questions, set timers and play music directly thru the poor internal speaker (they don't care how good or bad it sounds). The outside echo dot is paired with a Sonos Amp which powers the outdoor speakers. I can walk outside and say 'Alexa play Pandora Rolling Stones Radio on Patio (Sonos Amp name)' and it works great. I have two annoyances I cannot seem to solve.

First, if I am playing any sound on the outdoor speakers via the Sonos Amp and someone speaks to an Echo Dot in another location, the outdoor (Sonos Amp) volume will dim (nearly mute) while Alexa listens and responds in the other location. Can the 'dimming' via the Sonos Amp be stopped when the 'other' echo dots are used but still allow it to dim when using the outside Echo Dot? I have searched, but cannot seem to find a solution to this. Thoughts?

Secondly, via the outdoor Echo Dot, I can ask Alexa to turn volume up or down on 'Patio' (Sonos Amp Name) but the volume 'steps' seem too steep. I try words like 'a little' or 'a lot' but they don't seem to have an effect even though Alexa does not balk at them. I then need to use the Sonos app to fine tune the volume in the middle. Is there a way to narrow the volume steps? I have also searched, but cannot seem to find a solution to this either. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any useful insights.

Nevermind...found my answer:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazo...ivated-6794818

Not sure why I couldn't find this in my previous searches.

Last edited by tunaman00; 06-27-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #1842 of 1854 Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Has anyone heard whether the Sonos One will get Alexa "drop-in" support? Is there an ETA? Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player
Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
URC MX-780 remote control
post #1843 of 1854 Old 07-22-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Joining Personal Hotspot Wifi

I unplugged my home router. I put up a personal hotspot using another phone. This hotspot is named the same as my home network and I also used the exact same password.

My phone connected to the hotspot as a wifi connection no problem; however, my Sonos Amp did not.

So I went to the Sonos app on my phone while on the hotspot wifi and tried to add the Sonos Amp (as per the item in the app about how maybe my wifi/router settings may have changed).
Now here's the interesting thing, when it asks me to press the Connect button on the back of the Amp, the app immediately acts as if it finds the Amp and even shows it's MAC address in the app. But then when it starts to configure and set it up it eventually just errors out every time.

So I also tried naming the personal hotspot put up by the other phone to another name than my home wifi, but then I couldn't even get the Sonos app to recognize the Amp when I press it's Connect button.

So I'm thinking it is somehow on the personal hotspot network, but yet it's not.
Is it just a matter of leaving the hotspot on with my home router shutoff for a longer period of time and it will eventually connect to it?
Or, maybe somehow Sonos cannot connect to wifi hotspots (albeit, not sure how it would know the difference)?
post #1844 of 1854 Old 07-22-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I unplugged my home router. I put up a personal hotspot using another phone. This hotspot is named the same as my home network and I also used the exact same password.

My phone connected to the hotspot as a wifi connection no problem; however, my Sonos Amp did not.

So I went to the Sonos app on my phone while on the hotspot wifi and tried to add the Sonos Amp (as per the item in the app about how maybe my wifi/router settings may have changed).
Now here's the interesting thing, when it asks me to press the Connect button on the back of the Amp, the app immediately acts as if it finds the Amp and even shows it's MAC address in the app. But then when it starts to configure and set it up it eventually just errors out every time.

So I also tried naming the personal hotspot put up by the other phone to another name than my home wifi, but then I couldn't even get the Sonos app to recognize the Amp when I press it's Connect button.

So I'm thinking it is somehow on the personal hotspot network, but yet it's not.
Is it just a matter of leaving the hotspot on with my home router shutoff for a longer period of time and it will eventually connect to it?
Or, maybe somehow Sonos cannot connect to wifi hotspots (albeit, not sure how it would know the difference)?
Ok well looks like it finally just worked. It did it on it's own after trying again for the 3rd time (total times tried about 10).

Very flaky, so I hope it works when I transport this experiment where there really is no real wifi at the cottage.

Will be testing it a few times this week to see if it holds.

Why doesn't it just work the first time? Why does it need to be on the 10th?
post #1845 of 1854 Old 07-24-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Ok well looks like it finally just worked. It did it on it's own after trying again for the 3rd time (total times tried about 10).

Very flaky, so I hope it works when I transport this experiment where there really is no real wifi at the cottage.

Will be testing it a few times this week to see if it holds.

Why doesn't it just work the first time? Why does it need to be on the 10th?
I've done a similar thing at an apartment with Sonos using a Linksys that is configured the same as my Netgear at home, connected to broadband. It worked great, although the Sonos music server wasn't present. I just turned Sonos on and recalibrated the speakers for the room.
post #1846 of 1854 Old 08-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wasn't there suppose to be a Sonos Event August the 26th and 27th? Did I miss something?
post #1847 of 1854 Old 08-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8mycrackers View Post
Wasn't there suppose to be a Sonos Event August the 26th and 27th? Did I miss something?
It was a press preview for US media in advance of IFA Berlin which starts September 6. I'd guess everything is under embargo for at least another week.
post #1848 of 1854 Old 08-31-2019, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
It was a press preview for US media in advance of IFA Berlin which starts September 6. I'd guess everything is under embargo for at least another week.

Thanks to both of you. I came to ask the same question, and had a feeling embargo was the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1849 of 1854 Old 09-05-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
New products just announced!!!
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...he-sonos-move/
They will at last have a true wireless (and bluetooth capable) speaker! Evidently splash/dust resistant so will be fine to have out by the pool or on your deck.

But what really stuck out to me with the announcement is a proper replacement for the aging Sonos Connect. Now called the Port, it also seems to add BT capability, but what's great is we also FINALLY get a 12V trigger! Huzzah!

The big question I can't seem to find an answer to though, is will it FINALLY support hi-res audio files? Been killing me to not be able to run my full blown DSD FLAC files easily (and not downsampled) through my Connect, so I've relied on my Yamaha WXC-50 preamp for that. My initial research says no, but I can't find much technical info at all, so who knows? They have a brand new DAC in it, so I'd really like to know what it's capabilities are. I've been super happy with the functionality of my Connect, minus the lack of a 12V trigger (grrrrrrr), BUT the sound quality has alway just been "good enough" and not quite where I want it. Totally fine for just enjoying some music with a family dinner or games, but not quite there for proper listening sessions. Am I making sense? It's not really all that bad. It's just not quite where my Yamaha is. That could change with this new Port. Can't wait to learn more! Either way, I'm in for a purchase no matter what, even if just for the improved functionality over my old one.
post #1850 of 1854 Old 09-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

The only improved functionality I can tell is support for AirPlay, otherwise it's basically identical except for the 12V trigger and another $50 of price on top of what was already their most overpriced product. No Bluetooth and no room correction and more money makes this a bit insulting. Except for the RCA jacks the components [network stack, decoder, DAC] to output audio are built into their $99 Ikea speaker. Their product line is dying for a $200 or cheaper just decoder, no inputs, no controls but they won't make it because it would probably suck the air out of their custom install market.

As far as high resolution support there's no mention of it and if my understanding of their network structure is accurate it's not coming any time soon. They've put a ton of time and energy making sure every product they make is compatible with everything all the way back to their original ZP100. Support for high resolution would mean some Sonos could support it and others couldn't which would impact grouping, zones and other usability concerns which would be very off brand for a company that's put some much time and energy into ease of use. That said they could at least support high res files downsampled to 16/44 if they're not willing to do full support. There's also the fact that years (decades?) into high resolution audio there's still no actual evidence that sampling above Nyquist for 20,000 hertz (44.1kHz) meaningfully improves audio quality.

In my case I'm not so invested in Sonos (just 2 Play:1s and a Connect) that the instant an alternative shows up I won't jump ship. My living room receiver supports Airplay natively and really the only thing keeping me in this ecosystem is reliable sleep timers and alarms which for some reason has eluded Bluesound, Apple, Denon, Yamaha, Play Fi and a host of other wireless systems. At least the pricing on the Port won't crush used Connect pricing.
SimpleTheater likes this.

Last edited by qirex; 09-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #1851 of 1854 Old 09-05-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing I wonder about the port is does it solve the sub-woofer problem. I have to run my 13 speaker system in stereo direct to keep the system in sync with the rest of the speakers. Turning Audyssy off eliminates the subs. It's a pita that they really should solve. All they need to do is allow true play to send some tones to the connect/port and measure the delay, then when you use that room with other speakers they would be in sync.
post #1852 of 1854 Old 09-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
One thing I wonder about the port is does it solve the sub-woofer problem. I have to run my 13 speaker system in stereo direct to keep the system in sync with the rest of the speakers. Turning Audyssy off eliminates the subs. It's a pita that they really should solve. All they need to do is allow true play to send some tones to the connect/port and measure the delay, then when you use that room with other speakers they would be in sync.
I don't see how it would, they don't seem to have updated anything around bass management and there's not a single mention of TruePlay on the product page. It's possible they could add it later. An adjustable crossover would have been an extremely useful new feature, although it wouldn't have done anything for your situation.
post #1853 of 1854 Old 09-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I’m curious what the Move sounds like. I’d consider booking up some outdoor speakers, but here wouldn’t need to. Plus, O suspect this would sound better.

No interest in the new connect without any other enhancements. Plus it cost too much.

I guess the IKEA products may be a gateway, but they really need something in the $79-150 range so you can experience multi room experience / ecosystem without shelling out $300+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1854 of 1854 Old 09-05-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A friend of mine described Sonos as the crack of home audio. I bought a play 3, then another, then a play one, then another and another, then a one, then another, lastly the connect... I will get a move when I find a deal, but I don't really need it until the spring.

Somehow I was able to rationalize the Sonos even though I have a 5.4.4, and 2 5.1 systems. One is Heos capable and a horrible Heos Sound bar that came with the receiver. I think I have about $1,300 in so far on Sonos. It just works despite the sub-woofer delay.

At least my wife likes it.
Montucky likes this.

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 09-05-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page