Official SONOS owners thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #1981 of 2049 Old 03-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
In case you may be thinking about getting a Port, you may find this interesting: https://wyred4sound.com/products/dig...-port-modified

I purchased a similar upgrade for my connect several years ago. The sound is excellent.

I’m not saying that isn’t a good upgrade, but with Sonos talking about new features in this S2 app and more recent products, I feel like it may be worth holding off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2049 Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12662 Post(s)
Liked: 7576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I’m not saying that isn’t a good upgrade, but with Sonos talking about new features in this S2 app and more recent products, I feel like it may be worth holding off.

Holding off for what? The Port is the new device replacing the Connect. Whatever is coming in S2 will be supported by the Port. And the mod improves the electronics, it doesn’t alter functionality.
post #1983 of 2049 Old 03-30-2020, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3034 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Still don't understand the benefit of this mod versus just attaching the digital output of the Sonos to a DAC that re-clocks the signal and removes all jitter.

Of course, I can't hear jitter from any well designed modern digital output (Sonos qualifies) on even a traditional DAC, so I am clearly not the target audience.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2049 Old 04-17-2020, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
They’re so stupid. If they had released this information initially, and included the promise of future bug fixes like they did here, very few people would’ve said anything. Instead, they burned bridges and made fans like me hate them and start looking for other solutions. That’s going to cause them a difficult recovery. Too little, too late. Your mileage may vary.

When you're right, you're right.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/so...and-2020-04-17
post #1985 of 2049 Old 04-22-2020, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
Enjoying the new Sonos Radio feature. I can't wait for the update to hi res. Liking the Thom Yorke station.
post #1986 of 2049 Old 04-22-2020, 07:55 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post
Enjoying the new Sonos Radio feature. I can't wait for the update to hi res. Liking the Thom Yorke station.
I set it up but haven’t explored it yet. I hear it is ad-supported. Is that true? And what is this about a hi-res update?

I tried to get more info from the Sonos web site, but their web site is difficult to navigate.
post #1987 of 2049 Old 04-22-2020, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I set it up but haven’t explored it yet. I hear it is ad-supported. Is that true? And what is this about a hi-res update?

I tried to get more info from the Sonos web site, but their web site is difficult to navigate.
Yes the stations are ad supported just like tune in radio but the curated station is ad free. The S2 update coming in June is supposed to support hi res according to the verge. Listened to the Thom Yorke station for a couple of hours and heard an R.E.M. song and forgot how much I liked them so switched over to Spotify and played first two R.E.M. albums. Good stuff..
AustinJerry likes this.
post #1988 of 2049 Old 04-23-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I wouldn't worry about hi-res with Sonos. They won't even put out frequency response graphs to show what their speakers are capable of. The sub is crossed over way too high and has to be located close to the source. I wish they gave you control over that!

Another thing I'd love to see is the ability for the connect to allow delay so I could use my 5.4.4 system with audyssey. I have to run it direct or it is out of sync with the rest of the system, so no subs. I'd think that it could easily be done with the app.
post #1989 of 2049 Old 04-23-2020, 07:13 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I wouldn't worry about hi-res with Sonos. They won't even put out frequency response graphs to show what their speakers are capable of. The sub is crossed over way too high and has to be located close to the source. I wish they gave you control over that!

Another thing I'd love to see is the ability for the connect to allow delay so I could use my 5.4.4 system with audyssey. I have to run it direct or it is out of sync with the rest of the system, so no subs. I'd think that it could easily be done with the app.
Something I am not understanding about Sonos being out of sync with Audyssey, so perhaps you could elaborate. I have my Connect hooked to my AVR using a digital coax cable. Content from Sonos (streaming music) is in stereo, which is converted to 5.1 by the AVR using Dolby Surround. Room correction is active on the AVR. What can be out of sync?
post #1990 of 2049 Old 04-23-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Something I am not understanding about Sonos being out of sync with Audyssey, so perhaps you could elaborate. I have my Connect hooked to my AVR using a digital coax cable. Content from Sonos (streaming music) is in stereo, which is converted to 5.1 by the AVR using Dolby Surround. Room correction is active on the AVR. What can be out of sync?
Audyssey room correction controls the subs. If you run it in direct, meaning no Audyssey processing your subs don't get a signal and your speakers play full range. I have a very high end Denon x6400 and while it's fast, the audio processing it does puts it a little out of sync with the rest of the Sonos speakers, even when I run it in stereo. It works fine if none of the other Sonos speakers are on, but that's not the point of Sonos!

While my L+R are good speakers, their forte is not bass. That's why I have 4 subs!
nathan_h likes this.
post #1991 of 2049 Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Audyssey room correction controls the subs. If you run it in direct, meaning no Audyssey processing your subs don't get a signal and your speakers play full range. I have a very high end Denon x6400 and while it's fast, the audio processing it does puts it a little out of sync with the rest of the Sonos speakers, even when I run it in stereo. It works fine if none of the other Sonos speakers are on, but that's not the point of Sonos!

While my L+R are good speakers, their forte is not bass. That's why I have 4 subs!
I understand now. I do not use Sonos speakers. I play Sonos exclusively through my AVR, so sync is never an issue.
post #1992 of 2049 Old 04-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Is there an alternate mode you can use that still uses the crossover but doesn't do Audessey? It won't sound as good but at least your subs will be in use.
post #1993 of 2049 Old 04-23-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about hi-res with Sonos.
My understanding is that after they fork the controller software in the next couple of months, then the newer units will get hi-res.

Cheers,
post #1994 of 2049 Old 04-24-2020, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
Is there an alternate mode you can use that still uses the crossover but doesn't do Audessey? It won't sound as good but at least your subs will be in use.
No, at least not with a Denon/Marantz. The SVS subs that I have only have LFE input, so I can't run them off the speaker wires.
post #1995 of 2049 Old 04-24-2020, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
My understanding is that after they fork the controller software in the next couple of months, then the newer units will get hi-res.

Cheers,
My point is that if you are looking to hear the the difference between hi-res audio and cd quality audio, a Sonos system is probably not going to cut it. Maybe they plan to release a high end speaker where they actually show a frequency graph! Hi-res audio is mostly a gimmick anyway.
post #1996 of 2049 Old 04-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Harmony

Harmony Elite/Sonos issue
I have a new Elite set up to control my ATV, blu ray player, lights, etc. Activities working fine. Problem is with Sonos. It will not start to play when the activity is started. Sonos works fine with the Sonos app and the Elite will control Sonos volume once it is started with the app. My Favorites stations have been reset and they do appear on the Elite remote. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Sonos twice as has been suggested on different forums. Elite is new and updated, Sonos updated as well. All set to same network and speakers appear on remote.
When starting Sonos it does not “tune” to a favorite station, just a blank screen and a favorite station can not be selected even though they appear on the remote. Once stared with the Sonos app from my phone, the favorite station does appear on the remote and volume can be controlled.
Harmony email support is lacking, to be kind......
Any help greatly appreciated.......
post #1997 of 2049 Old 04-24-2020, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
My point is that if you are looking to hear the the difference between hi-res audio and cd quality audio, a Sonos system is probably not going to cut it. Maybe they plan to release a high end speaker where they actually show a frequency graph! Hi-res audio is mostly a gimmick anyway.
Agreed.

I only buy hi-res if it's in surround.

Cheers,
gregoryperkins likes this.
post #1998 of 2049 Old 04-26-2020, 12:20 PM

Liked: 0
Changing Sonos Community username

I’ve had Sonos devices and an account on sonos.com for a couple years. I’ve posted a few messages on the Sonos Community.

Today I changed my email address in my sonos.com profile. I can log into my account on sonos.com using the new email as my user ID. After logging in, I selected the “Community” link on the main Sonos account page. I get a “Set username” screen, presumably because my old Community username is no longer valid.

It seems unfortunate and unnecessary that changing my email address invalidates other account details, but I’ll select a new Community username if I must. I don’t want to use the default username, which is my (new) email address. I can’t enter my old Community username (which was a sequence of 11 random alphanumeric characters) because it’s “already being used”. When I try other usernames, I get an error that complains about potential spam. The message does not specify whether the problem is the name I enter in the Username field, my new email address that appears in the Email field, or both.

I searched for this issue in Sonos Community and found posts concerning similar problems. The posters were advised to contact a forum moderator. Since I can no longer log into Sonos Community, I don’t know how to do that (and I can’t post this question there). I also don’t know who to contact.

Does anyone know how I can regain access to Sonos Community?
post #1999 of 2049 Old 05-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Sonos launches the Arc today, a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. It replaces the old, 2013, Playbar. They also updated the Play:5, which I think is now called the Sonos Five.

We do not have a sound bar as we have a 3.0 setup with an AVR.

For the past year, I’ve really been toying with the idea of figuring out how to get Atmos working, but I have been hesitant to drill into the ceiling, plus the setup is conducive to rear surrounds. So, the Arc is interesting to me. Equally, the price seems competitive to other Atmos products. I could also see getting two wireless surrounds because it’s easier for me to run power than speaker wire.

One omission is lack of DTS support.* It gives me pause, but I don’t know how much impact we’d realize. EssentiAlly nothing streams in DTS, so I suppose it would be a limit on Blu-rays.

* DTS is also missing from the 2020 crop of LG OLEDs (I don’t know about LCDs). Seems to be a theme, and possibly the beginning of a trend. I wonder why.

I would like to see how this whole legacy device S1 and S2 setup unfolds first. However, the Arc isn’t out until June anyhow.

SimpleTheater likes this.
post #2000 of 2049 Old 05-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I believe this will be a very nice sounding bar, but can't understand why anyone cares about Atmos. These are "lifestyle" soundbars. They don't even provide a real 3.0 experience nevermind Atmos surround.
post #2001 of 2049 Old 05-09-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post
I believe this will be a very nice sounding bar, but can't understand why anyone cares about Atmos. These are "lifestyle" soundbars. They don't even provide a real 3.0 experience nevermind Atmos surround.
Yeah, I have a 5.4.4 setup and Atmos is almost never present, but it is starting to be in more streaming movies. I think fronts heights are much less important than rear/middle heights so I'm not sure how effective the arc will be. I have a ceiling fan in a couple of rooms and that may be a problem for Atmos.

I have a difficult corner in the living room where the tv is in the corner between 2 doors. I had a Heos sound bar/sub that drove me crazy with it's crummy app and its random unresponsiveness. Worse yet it turned on at full volume a couple of times in the middle of the night. It is on loan at a friend's house that went down the Heos hole.

At Christmas, Costco had a fantastic deal on the Beam, so I got it and replaced the Heos. I already had the sub and they are together with 2 play 3s for a 5.1 system. It's not used much, more for music than TV, but it does a credible job in a difficult location. I'm sure the arc would be a lot better, but I don't need it now.
post #2002 of 2049 Old 05-23-2020, 02:58 PM
** Man of Leisure **

I have been doing some serious research lately into Roon as a replacement for Sonos. There seems to be some very desirable features with Roon, although the cost of entry can be a bit steep. One thing that worries me is that Roon only supports Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. I currently have Deezer, Apple Music, and Pandora on Sonos, and many more if I so choose. Streaming from external music sources, particularly new music discovery, is much more important to me than streaming my personal music library.

Speaking of discovery, has anyone tried the new “Pandora Modes” capability. There are Crowd Faves, Discovery, Deep Cuts, and Newly Released modes. If you are a Pandora listener and feel like your stations are becoming too familiar, the new Modes capability adds welcome diversity.
post #2003 of 2049 Old 05-23-2020, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't speak to Roon (though it looks like a lot of pay for a user interface) but I have learned that if a device doesn't carry the service I like to subscribe to, it is annoying.

I dumped my two CONNECTS onto the used market. (Kept the Play 1's scattered around the house for background music.) And I bought a Paradigm PW Link (same as the Martin Logan Unison) for $200.

The good: It comes with full fat Anthem ARC out of the box, including a calibration microphone. ARC Genesis is impressive.

The bad: It supports many streaming services.......up to 48khz via optical output, and up to 192, IIRC, via analog output. But it doesn't support Google Music, which happens to be what I use for casual listening.

The compromise: But it has optical input as well as optical output, so I hooked up an old streamer and can get anything that way via optical, which is then processed with ARC. It also (after some hiccups) found my Plex server with DLNA enabled (though they haven't figured out gapless playback yet).

Anyway, I'm keeping it because if nothing else it lets me use ARC in my two channel setup (even for my turntable since it has an analog input I can plug my LP pre-amp into) and that has had a nice impact on my listening.

But lesson learned, if one is attached to a streaming service, caveat emptor. In my case, I didn't even bother to read the long list of services, just assuming that Google would be one of them......which made an "ass"(ume) out of me.

My current setup.
post #2004 of 2049 Old 05-23-2020, 05:42 PM
** Man of Leisure **

I have no desire to ditch my Sonos Connects. I don’t see support ending for them any time soon, and they continue to provide musical enjoyment.
post #2005 of 2049 Old 05-23-2020, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I misunderstood your post.

Quote:
I have been doing some serious research lately into Roon as a replacement for Sonos.

My current setup.
post #2006 of 2049 Old 05-23-2020, 06:50 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I think I misunderstood your post.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to give you mixed signals. I meant I was researching Roon to see if it would be better than Sonos. So far, I’m not convinced that I would be happier than what I currently have. I wasn’t sure why you seemed to suddenly decided to get rid of your Connects.
post #2007 of 2049 Old 05-23-2020, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve been struggling to work round the library limitations in Sonos for years. For a while the Plex hack was working okay. But it wasn’t stable enough to rely on for me.

And: I almost never tried to sync those systems with the Sonos speakers around the house.

In my main media room: It was no harder to just use the dlna function of my receiver to stream the same lossless audio, or if I was pulling lossy audio from a streaming service then Airplay was fine. So the Connect was less feature rich.

In the living room: This new streaming box offers me additional value (room correction) and access to my whole library. In theory it should also be able to work with Airplay but I haven’t solved that yet. Maybe I would have hesitated if I had realized it didn’t work with Google music but I’m sort of glad I made that mistake because it is very nice sounding.

I strongly suspect the new Sonos OS (which wouldn’t have worked on my Connects) Will finally do a way with the library size limits but at this point that won’t impact the places I sit and listen to music, I guess, though it will be nice to have that on the remaining Sonos speakers.

This is all just my personal needs and what works for me. I think the Connects are still good devices, just not the best for my use cases. (And with the Sonos trade up program in place I think folks bought mine just to get that discount on new gear! So it was an easy time to sell them.)

My current setup.
post #2008 of 2049 Old 05-23-2020, 11:40 PM

Dear friends,

Are *.gll files for EASE or EASE Focus for Sonos products exist?
Do anybody know something about it?
post #2009 of 2049 Old 06-04-2020, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Does SONOS make a product that can play files off a USB key? Port doesn’t seem to have a USB input.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #2010 of 2049 Old 06-04-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Does SONOS make a product that can play files off a USB key? Port doesn’t seem to have a USB input.
No, they don't.
What I did?
I did upload my files to Google Music and listen it via Sonos App.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
amp , Marantz Pm6004 Integrated Amplifier , Sonos , Sonos Playbar Tv Soundbar And Wireless Speaker For Streaming Music

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page