WD TV - RELEASE Firmware - 1.02.07 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis113 View Post

too bad. I thought they can improve it before official release.

Indeed, I was thinking it was about time for the next beta release. Guess it'll be a while before that happens (as the next one would no doubt be a 1.03.xx), we've been a bit spoiled by the quick succession of beta releases, LOL.

To the WD team, thanks for a great product and for all the fw improvements. I hope you're already hard at work on the 1.03.xx version of the FW to further improve an already wonderful product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 AM

Well this my very first message at this board, so hello to everyone!

Next, a very, very big thank you to Western Digital for releasing new firmware updates. Today I updated to the latest official firmware update 1.02.07 and as I can say until now I have no problems with it so far.

My only very big wish for a next firmware update would be support for the vorbis audio codec in MKV files.

I have some files with vorbis audio in mkv files, so converting them into an alternative audio format would be really time consumpting (slowly computer), so I beg you WD please integrate support for it.

Code:
Here's a report of MediaInfo software for one of my mkv files:

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor           : 1
Codec ID                         : A_VORBIS
Duration                         : 23min
Bit rate                         : 96,0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 Kanäle
Sampling rate                    : 48,0 KHz
Video delay                      : -209ms
Stream size                      : 16,5 MiB (9%)
Writing library                  : libVorbis 1.1.1/1.1.2 (UTC 2005-03-04)
Thanks again WD for everything!
Keep up your good work!

EDIT (May 15th, 2009): WD now offers the chance to vote for things to change in future firmware releases. Here you can vote for vorbis audio support in mkv container files:

http://wdtv.uservoice.com/pages/1744...in-mkv-support
post #33 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 AM

GuyWD,

there is 1 bug in the 1.02.07 i discovered today(not sure mentioned before).

In a ext3 drive, half of the subttiles(srt) of my episodes don't load!
But SAME subtitles load just fine on a mirror NTFS drive.
Tried resetting and adjusting options but it just says "no subtitle" when using the ext3 drive.

I've attached 1 srt which i can confirm doesn't show on ext3 but fine on ntfs.

PS: Both the drives have same content,so filenames are all the same.

NOTE: I renamed the srt to txt so that i can upload it here,but it's actually an srt file.

Pls look into this. TQ

House.S05E20.HDTV.XviD-FQM[ontv].en.srt.txt 52.6904296875k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Garnier View Post

The problem is not missing of certain user expected new features, but few major bugs not yet corrected like crash of the box with certain 1080p+DTS files or playback of MKV VC-1 files for example.

totally agreed.
Need to improve 1080p mkv + DTS compatibility.
post #35 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

This doesn't necessarily mean they stopped (or that they will continue) further development on the FW. It simply means they felt like 1.02.07 was a significant/important enough improvement over the previous official release and stable enough to release as "official".
post #36 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerleakin View Post

GuyWD,

But SAME subtitles load just fine on a mirror NTFS drive.
Tried resetting and adjusting options but it just says "no subtitle" when using the ext3 drive.

I've attached 1 srt which i can confirm doesn't show on ext3 but fine on ntfs.

PS: Both the drives have same content,so filenames are all the same.

NOTE: I renamed the srt to txt so that i can upload it here,but it's actually an srt file.

Pls look into this. TQ

Since when does the official firmware support ext3?

On the website it still says:

External Drive Formats Supported
FAT32, NTFS, HFS+ (no journaling)

So no ext3 and no bug either then.
post #37 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 AM

Only the hacked firmware works with ext3 thingy. Official firmware doesn't!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerleakin View Post

GuyWD,

post #38 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 AM

So confusing after reading almost all posts the last couple of months..

Made me worry..

Should i move to .07 or keep .02 ?
I think i will keep .02 just to be on the safe side because if this is identical to the prerelease (as WD mentioned) then huston, we have a tiny problem :P

round + round + round
post #39 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangezero View Post

So confusing after reading almost all posts the last couple of months..

Made me worry..

Should i move to .07 or keep .02 ?
I think i will keep .02 just to be on the safe side because if this is identical to the prerelease (as WD mentioned) then huston, we have a tiny problem :P

I see no problem this one is great!!
post #40 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookstah View Post

The problem with those bugs are, they do not exist for every user.
For instance, my 1080p mkv files do play fine with subs (muxed in srt), so the bug does exist for some, while it does not for others.

The .07 version seems to work well for me, including the bold subtitle shadow, which for some look ugly, while on my full hdtv looks almost perfect.

How I reported here, I am having problems with external .srt subtitles. Looking that you use muxed in subs, I did some tests. I demuxed one of the movies that I am having problem, and muxed back with the Portuguese subtitle that I was using external.

The result is that I watched the entire movie, and it worked perfectly, no stuttering. So, WD Guys, the problem is when 1080p mkv files, with DTS audio and EXTERNAL .srt or .ssa subs.
When the subs is muxed in, the file plays without problems.

So, if you can check this bug, will be fine. Because it's a lot of work to demux and remux every movie that I want to watch, and my computer is a little old for this, it takes a long time.

Thanks to all
post #41 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 01:16 PM

My friend got no "update" icon to install the new firmware. Could that be the reason he installed the pre-released version?
post #42 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM

The new version brought many improvements, and fixed many bugs.
But WD decided to exclude the Greek users from this update.
With the new firmware version, the subtitles appear for a few milliseconds and disappear again before we can read them.
So after a month of trying the prerelease versions and reporting the problems, we have to go back to the older official version.
The new version is useless for us since we cannot use the subtitles.
Dear ScottWD and GuyWD, are you aware of this problem?
Do you have all the information you need?
What are your plans?
Dear forum users: Does anybody experiences any problem with the subtitles in his language? Dos the problem occurs only with Greek subtitles?
Dear WD: You are officially selling WD HD TV in Greece. Before buying the product, I checked your site and saw that the Greek subtitles are supported. This is not true. So you provide wrong information to your customers in order to buy the product. In my opinion there are two solutions. Or you improve the support of the Greek language or you have to change the specifications shown at your site and remove the Greek support or change it to partial support.

George
post #43 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordi View Post

The new version brought many improvements, and fixed many bugs.
But WD decided to exclude the Greek users from this update.
With the new firmware version, the subtitles appear for a few milliseconds and disappear again before we can read them.
So after a month of trying the prerelease versions and reporting the problems, we have to go back to the older official version.
The new version is useless for us since we cannot use the subtitles.
Dear ScottWD and GuyWD, are you aware of this problem?
Do you have all the information you need?
What are your plans?
Dear forum users: Does anybody experiences any problem with the subtitles in his language? Dos the problem occurs only with Greek subtitles?
Dear WD: You are officially selling WD HD TV in Greece. Before buying the product, I checked your site and saw that the Greek subtitles are supported. This is not true. So you provide wrong information to your customers in order to buy the product. In my opinion there are two solutions. Or you improve the support of the Greek language or you have to change the specifications shown at your site and remove the Greek support or change it to partial support.

I feel for the Greek guys. Another solution would be to create idx/sub from the srt. That has been shown to work no matter what language you use since idx/sub are bitmap overlays. Member d100 has some info on how to do it, look up his posts.

-Mod
post #44 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry WDteam, but i just don't understand, why release .07, it continues to have a 23,976HZ setting button, that NEVER WORK! and you know this.

Why in release .07, did not disapeares this useless button.

my friends don't read this forum, to know that!!

post #45 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthaus View Post

And according to you they have ignored all bug/reports?? PFFFT
WD have actually listened to the people as much as possible. But we cant make everyone happy now can we??? Constructive criticism is good but not that approach. And how do you know there wont be another official version?

What are you trying to tell me?
That 500+ posts regarding 1.02.07 beta-firmware were all "congratulations to WD for this wonderful software release??"
No, I don't think so. A good 100+ of those posts regarded bugs.
Many like me have been complaining about missing letters in subtitles, others have been complaining about stuttering, others again about flashing subtitles.
For you these issues are probably non-existant, the reason you are pissed off about my criticism, but it doesn't change the fact that they exist.

WD has not listened to anything regarding the subtitle issues, otherwise they would either have addressed the issue or fixed it. We are talking about 4-5 intermediate releases before this last official one.
post #46 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

The firmware will never be perfect... we know that...

All we want is to WD release new updates adressing the playback issues, but not in 4 months to 4 months periods...

If they can solve the 23,976fps playback issue, flashing subtitles, shutering with external subtitles and include Autodetect Framerate, then they can release updates in a 4 months cicle if they think so...

I like the new firmware but I can't stop thinking that in after 4 months the 23,976fps issue is still there, problems with subtitles are still there, 1080p files with more than 5 reference frames playback issue are still there, Mkv with VC1 issue is still there... and if we think about it they resolved SRT delay, add more sub languages, add sub on off option and thumbnails... well... dont take me wrong... this is just a constructive critic!
post #47 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack21 View Post

Sorry WDteam, but i just don't understand, why release .07, it continues to have a 23,976HZ setting button, that NEVER WORK! and you know this.

Why in release .07, did not disapeares this useless button.

my friends don't read this forum, to know that!!

why is it that people who post in the most obnoxious fashion possible on this board also abuse the english language so much in the process? hint: don't bring attention to your poor usage of our language by childishly slapping bold tags all about. not surprisingly, it makes us want to ignore you even more.

can we break the language barrier here and make it absolutely clear that this does NOT mean the end to WD's development of the WDTV? they put the link up for 1.02.07 so that the general public outside this board can easily get in on upgrading, in all likelihood. they've made incredible strides throughout the pre-release phase, and my guess is that now they'd like to share it with every one who hasn't found this board.

every one here needs to stop acting like this is all we'll get and their bug issue that they reported on is just going to float on forever without being fixed. that's as idiotic a stance as any.
post #48 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinergie View Post

Since when does the official firmware support ext3?

On the website it still says:

External Drive Formats Supported
FAT32, NTFS, HFS+ (no journaling)

So no ext3 and no bug either then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion1969 View Post

Just a little note for linux users...

YES!!!!!!!!! ext2/ext3 is supported since .07 beta
seems to be an "hidden" feature as it is not in release notes, but contents are displayed and accessed exactly like in a fat or ntfs filesystem (with no need for other supported partitions mounted)

maybe it's not official yet...
post #49 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

why is it that people who post in the most obnoxious fashion possible on this board also abuse the english language so much in the process? hint: don't bring attention to your poor usage of our language by childishly slapping bold tags all about. not surprisingly, it makes us want to ignore you even more.

OK. Seriously. I've heard enough of this bs on avs. I have to say something at the cost of going offtopic. The "you" are all the people i've heard this coming from, not just.. err... you.

You're on the INTERNET. It includes people outside your country (there are lots of them.. people and other countries) and not everyone has had the luxury of being able to learn english up to your standards. Some may even have to use googletranslate or something along those lines.
Deal with it.
It doesn't make what they have to say any less relevant or important.
You say this is an english language forum, great. I'm sure if WDTV and other manufacturers paid attention to the forums in their native language, they'd be posting on those forums in their native language.
If you want this to be your small-town america/canada/england start a bbs and talk all high and mighty with your big english words all night long. ath0

You *AT LEAST* got the jist of what they were saying or you're drooling on your computer right now and have bigger fish to fry (like not drooling and counting to 2). So you're telling us much more than we want to know about you.

Stop teabagging everything you say with your underlying xenophobia, control and undersized appendage issues.

That is all.

===

Now to try and not make this a complete waste, I think there may be a problem with drive recognition and in how the discs are ejected on WDTV power-off. At least under my configuration, but only since 1.02.06.

I'm using:

-Eagle Tech ET-CSMDSU2-BK 3.5 SATA to USB multitasking dual bay dual access enclosure
-disc1 Hitachi 1TB (0A38016)
-disc2 Hitachi 1TB (0A35155)

What I see:

-If I turn the enclosure on without WDTV being powered on then later turn the WDTV on, only disc1 is shown in folder view. Powering down WDTV (discs ejected) and turning back on does not work as it seems discs and structure are cached.
The enclosure must be powered down and up with WDTV on to see both discs and sometimes disc2 may still disappear when you goto homescreen and back to drives.

-After discs are ejected by WDTV powerdown and go back to WDTV some files and/or directories are missing. Other crazyness like all folders being listed but going into them gives a "folder is empty" error. And of course the above mentioned missing drives issue pops up on occasion.

I started encountering this issue with 1.02.06 but it is waaay worse with .07.

I'm going to keep my eyes on it (later when they're more soberer ) and report anything else I find. If anyone else has come across something similar, please let me/us know.

Thanks!
ub
post #50 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM

It was very silly of WD to release this firmware with No Vorbis audio in mkv support and audio desync in some mkv files....
post #51 of 402 Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda_gr View Post

WD has not listened to anything regarding the subtitle issues, otherwise they would either have addressed the issue or fixed it. We are talking about 4-5 intermediate releases before this last official one.

WD is listening. Keep posting sufficient technical information to support the issue you are reporting.

g.kar
post #52 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 02:03 AM

You're very optimistic
The audio clipping bug is probably the best documented issue (thanks for your efforts) since the very beginning. Several firmwares released meanwhile and... still they did nothing about it
post #53 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
WTF?

New official firmware and no greek subs fix? What are you doing Scott and GuyWD?

I hoped that you would fix the Greek flashing problem! Why not? Is is so difficult? It was fine back in 1.02.02 previous official firmware!

I dont want to make extra conversions to play srt files normally! I didnt buy it for this...

Please guys fix the problem, or i am selling the product...
post #54 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

wtf?

New official firmware and no greek subs fix? What are you doing scott and guywd?

I hoped that you would fix the greek flashing problem! Why not? Is is so difficult? It was fine back in 1.02.02 previous official firmware!

I dont want to make extra conversions to play srt files normally! I didnt buy it for this...

Please guys fix the problem, or i am selling the product...

+1
post #55 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinichiKudo View Post

Well this my very first message at this board, so hello to everyone!

Next, a very, very big thank you to Western Digital for releasing new firmware updates. Today I updated to the latest official firmware update 1.02.07 and as I can say until now I have no problems with it so far.

My only very big wish for a next firmware update would be support for the vorbis audio codec in MKV files.

I have some files with vorbis audio in mkv files, so converting them into an alternative audio format would be really time consumpting (slowly computer), so I beg you WD please integrate support for it.

Code:
Here's a report of MediaInfo software for one of my mkv files:

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor           : 1
Codec ID                         : A_VORBIS
Duration                         : 23min
Bit rate                         : 96,0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 Kanäle
Sampling rate                    : 48,0 KHz
Video delay                      : -209ms
Stream size                      : 16,5 MiB (9%)
Writing library                  : libVorbis 1.1.1/1.1.2 (UTC 2005-03-04)
Thanks again WD for everything!
Keep up your good work!

Me too, I was expecting an improvement from the beta to the official release. All I am wishing for this device is to support vorbis. Since this prerelease fw craze started, I was hoping for the vorbis support everytime. But then again, its waiting time again for me. WD suggested to convert them. But why should I? I might as well convert them directly to avi if thats the case. I can't really figure out why they can't add an opensource codec.
post #56 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

I have a poor engish, but you understand my post, because you are a master mind, congratulations!!!

I don´t need your love, for nothing....please ignore me, ok! don´t replie to me.

You think, this fw is best for everyone,so.... try to see a greek film, in 1080p\\DTS, \\subs ON, with greek audio, and subs in you languague. It will be a great experience for you master mind.

I like my WDTV, but when i dicide, to finish all the WDTV problems, i buy a m34,... just that, so simple.
post #57 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensky View Post

You're very optimistic
The audio clipping bug is probably the best documented issue (thanks for your efforts) since the very beginning. Several firmwares released meanwhile and... still they did nothing about it

I am very optimistic because I know that the WD team is already working on the audio clipping issue.
Sooner or later the clipping issue will be solved and then everybody who is affected by that issue will be happy again.

Warning.
WD TV can't deliver total hapiness to all of us .

g.kar
post #58 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiendas View Post

Warning.
WD TV can't deliver total hapiness to all of us .

I understant that, Hiendas, but we are in a competition World, and others company are here to gain $$, like Egreat with m34(DTS downmix, much few bugs).
I just think...WD must be now, more faster, if wants to continue in front of competition .
post #59 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 05:00 AM

Hi there.

This is my first post, unfortunately, not for good.

I am one of many (literally) greek owners of the WDTV media player, and I am posting just to protest for WD's lack of sensibility regarding the technical issues (flashing speed of .srt subtitles viewing, making movie impossible to watch) already well known (while in pre-release) but, inexplicably, NEVER corrected in the new official firmware....

Please, sirs at WD, issue a correction patch (or something) to amend this. It's so much pity waiting several months (sitting on the edge of our seats, I may add) for the new version, and, in the end, to be forced to hold back on the old firmware, just because the new one is, in fact, for all Greek customers... useless....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
post #60 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 AM

Ok, the new firmware is a deal breaker for the Greek market as it practically cripples the product, but there is no use crying over the spilled milk they say...

For now, there are some imminent and practical issues that need to be addressed from the WDTV development team :

1. A web page that we find and download the original 1.01.02 firmware.(Or is there a 1.02.x issue that fixes some other bugs but does not have the flashing issue?)

2.The selling of the WDTV with the 1.02.07 preinstalled must be abandoned in Greece . The 1.01.02 is ok for now. Additionally, a warning must be issued to the Greek retailers to inform the clients not to upgrade their product.

There still hope , people, the WDTV is a great product , and Iam still optimistic that a new version will be released in a few months making the player usefull again...

But untill then: PLEASE WD !! Make the OLD 1.01.02 firmware available for download , in order to make our WDTV usefull again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page