WD TV - RELEASE Firmware - 1.02.07 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I was happy with this firmware. The problem of .srt fixed, the thumbnails was pretty cool and 720p movies worked fine. But when I try to see movies at 1080p+dts+external subtitles (95% of my movies) they didn't play well, they "crash" a lot and on 1.02 they works well.

I am tired, I will sell my WD and buy another. I don't want convert all my subs again, loose all thumbnails that makes me a lot of work..

I only want 1080p+DTS+external subtitles working fine and It isn't possible. And seeing that WD makes his beta version .07 an official version makes me no hope.

Regards (sorry for the english)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpa View Post

Hi,

I was happy with this firmware. The problem of .srt fixed, the thumbnails was pretty cool and 720p movies worked fine. But when I try to see movies at 1080p+dts+external subtitles (95% of my movies) they didn't play well, they "crash" a lot and on 1.02 they works well.

I am tired, I will sell my WD and buy another. I don't want convert all my subs again, loose all thumbnails that makes me a lot of work..

I only want 1080p+DTS+external subtitles working fine and It isn't possible. And seeing that WD makes his beta version .07 an official version makes me no hope.

Regards (sorry for the english)

You burrows in words, that defines my spirit --- "tired" and "no hope"
post #63 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

if you sell wdtv and buy something else, you will just have a different set of problems to deal with.

the problem with all low cost, do it all, media players is that you are dependent upon the manufacturer to fix everything.

the only way to support all file types and have no bugs is to build an htpc and debug software yourself.

wdtv is a great little player.

i hope wd continues to add new features and fix bugs in a future firmware release.

sometimes, engineers need to step away from bugs for a time. this allows them some time to sleep on the problems. otherwise, they might just keep trying to fix bugs without thinking things through all the way. not fully understanding a problem you can "fix" it and create more problems someplace else.

give the folks at wd some time to think about issues. the creative process of designing isn't something you can just do... like digging a ditch. they will need to step back and think about things for a time to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 06:24 AM

Why can't some of you people just be a little bit patient?

To expect it to play every video file created by the hand of man perfectly out of the box is unrealistic.

To want to make it the beating heart of your home media empire is unrealistic.

To expect every possible quirk and foible and every tiny subtitle issue for every language around the world to already be fixed is unrealistic.

To storm off in a huff and call it junk and sell it because they have not already fixed your own little problem is unrealistic.

Let's be real. It's a $100 toy that has been on the market all of 4 1/2 months and has had exactly two official firmware drops. It was designed to allow you to plug in a drive with some video clips on it to play on your home TV instead of your computer, and that it pretty much succeeds in doing. No, it may not play everything perfectly, but THAT IS WHY THEY INCLUDE CONVERSION SOFTWARE WITH THE DEVICE! In NONE of these threads do I recall anyone saying they washed a problem file thru the converter, they just get on here and start whining.

What it does, it does brilliantly. Most of what it doesn't do quite right, I have every confidence will eventually be fixed. Some things it does not do, was not DESIGNED to do (like network streaming) and will likely never do. Tough luck there, that just means it is not the device for you.

PLEASE... put it thru the ringer, identify problems, make constructive suggestions, but beyond that, sit down, shut up and BE PATIENT!
post #65 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

actually the wdtv hardware can do some network streaming with an ethernet dongle. if wd wanted to, they could provide official support... just depends on the way they go next.

although this little box doesn't do everything i would like it to do (only held back by firmware), i am looking forward to see what wd comes up with next. the box has A LOT of untapped potential.
post #66 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeader View Post

...To expect every possible quirk and foible and every tiny subtitle issue for every language around the world to already be fixed is unrealistic....

...To storm off in a huff and call it junk and sell it because they have not already fixed your own little problem is unrealistic

....shut up and BE PATIENT!

The problem isn't tiny from the Greek market POV my friend...
(I admit though that it IS , from the Global Market POV...)

As for the "shut up" suggestion... oh well... the Greeks are known to be major chatters lol
post #67 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

To expect it to play every video file created by the hand of man perfectly out of the box is unrealistic.

PLEASE... put it thru the ringer, identify problems, make constructive suggestions, but beyond that, sit down, shut up and BE PATIENT!

LOL! I only want 1080p+DTS+.srt and thumbnails works like the version 1.02. Nothing more!! You think it is asking to much? I only don't understand why they make a new firmware to solve some bugs (.srt) and makes another big bugs!

PS: dmeader to watch divx don't buy a WDTV..
post #68 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

I have various "1080p+DTS+.srt" files that work flawlessly with the current firmware. Better specify what kind of subtitles (e.g. what language).
post #69 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_definitely View Post

I have various "1080p+DTS+.srt" files that work flawlessly with the current firmware. Better specify what kind of subtitles (e.g. what language).

Dont just see seconds of the movies to see if they work... you have to leave it playing for several minutes... those files played well in 1.01.02!

Oh... and is portuguese subs and SRT format.
post #70 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

I actually watch the whole movie with no problems whatsoever, not just a few minutes. English subtitles that is.
post #71 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Btw., if the external subtitles are causing the problem, have you tried to put them in the mkv container by remuxing the file, e.g. with mkvmerge? Takes a few minutes to do so.
post #72 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:

To want to make it the beating heart of your home media empire is unrealistic.

To expect every possible quirk and foible and every tiny subtitle issue for every language around the world to already be fixed is unrealistic.

..... shut up and BE PATIENT!

The issue of NOT being able to read any .srt greek subs (yes, I'm a Greek national) due to the fact that they appear and vanish in miniseconds.... allow me to consider as A MAJOR ISSUE and, by no means, A "TINY" ONE !!!!

This one just "destroys" the general reason of existence of the media player. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

Go watch your movies with no subtitles, due to firmware limitations, (even if you can somehow understand the language), and then tell me whether your purchased product is worth to be there next your TV to use it or not....

Finally, please, be more polite, doesn't cost much.
post #73 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuteo View Post

There still hope , people, the WDTV is a great product , and Iam still optimistic that a new version will be released in a few months making the player usefull again...

But untill then: PLEASE WD !! Make the OLD 1.01.02 firmware available for download , in order to make our WDTV usefull again!!!

You can find all the previous firmwares at this page.
post #74 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 08:51 AM

I don't understand what all the commotion is about geek subtitles. I too am a geek, and I can understand most movies perfectly fine, especially pr0n. C'mon, guys, we don't need geek subtitles.
post #75 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuteo View Post

But untill then: PLEASE WD !! Make the OLD 1.01.02 firmware available for download , in order to make our WDTV usefull again!!!

you might want to head on down to the WDTV forum (wdtvhd.com). they archive all previous firmwares there including instructions on how to downgrade your firmware. hope this helps!
post #76 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvog View Post

The issue of NOT being able to read any .srt greek subs .... by no means, A "TINY" ONE !!!!

This one just "destroys" the general reason of existence of the media player. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

Finally, please, be more polite, doesn't cost much.

I never said it was a "tiny" one. An issue is an issue. Doesn't change my advice to you. BE PATIENT. It is a big world, with this device sold lots of places and needing to support lots of languages. They'll get it right.

Oh BTW, I'm plenty polite. You quoted out-of-context a line meant to be humorous. Along with BE PATIENT I'll add another bit of advice....CHILL OUT!
post #77 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyl View Post

I don't understand what all the commotion is about geek subtitles. I too am a geek, and I can understand most movies perfectly fine, especially pr0n. C'mon, guys, we don't need geek subtitles.

post #78 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Thanx for the old firmwares pages guys!!

To the Greek community:

If you dont want to revert to the plain vanilla 1.01.02 and you want the new features (e.g. HD shutdown) of the crippled new version there is an excellent software for converting the srt's subs to idx bitmaps here:

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/Software...bDownload&b2=1

I just tested it and it works perfectly.

The conversion takes some time and it's a pain in the a*s but...
post #79 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Btw., if the external subtitles are causing the problem, have you tried to put them in the mkv container by remuxing the file, e.g. with mkvmerge? Takes a few minutes to do so.

It takes like 10 minutes... imagine if I have to do that to 100 MKV... do you understand?

WD advertise that the player can read 1080p files with DTS passthrough and subs... well it doesnt!!!

This is a HD media player that can not read properly 1080p movies with DTS and external subs... sounds basic doesnt it?

I know that WD will adresse this issues and I'm happy with the player... but dont you guys be like fanboys and excuse everything that is wrong just because you like the player!

Those are basic bugs that should be resolved ages ago...

I know that WD is going to improve the player... I just ask them not to take 4 months to release a new firmware.

But I will explaine why a lot of people are getting nervous:

Here in Portugal we pay 100 to 120€ for the WD TV. In the middle of this month Egreat is going to release a new Player Egreat M34A that costs 155€... so this Egreat player is a bit more expensive but it has Popcorn firmware that is much but much more compatible with lots of codecs, much more stable, Autodetect Framerate, it has portuguese in the Menus, it has net, it has HDMI 1.3, will do DTS Downmix, it comes with HDMI cable (so take 10€ from the 155€ of the player), RSS feed, Peer-to-peer TV : SayaTV, Internet Radio : Shoutcast, and much more... so with more 45 to 25€ you get all this... in the other hand you have the WD TV that has those problems that everyone described but overall is a realy nice player as well... so dont tell me that the player can have some bugs because is cheap!! No... side by side with Egreat M34A the WD TV is not that cheap!!!

The question i leave here is this... Egreat sells 1/10 players that WD does.. it will come with Ethernet connection, ESATA connnection and will do DTS Downmix... and you guys think that WD can not pay the DTS license? Hmmm... i don't think so...

Dont take me wrong... I'm not saying that I will sell my WD TV or stuff... I'm just complaining like a costumer... nothing less!
post #80 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 PM

I wonder if WD will ever add support for RMVB support? I will seriously buy a few for families if it can play back RMVB format because I have some TV servies in RMVB format.
post #81 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggsb View Post

I wonder if WD will ever add support for RMVB support? I will seriously buy a few for families if it can play back RMVB format because I have some TV servies in RMVB format.

don't even bother holding your breath for that one. it would be completely outside WD's interests to put money down for the licensing of RM proprietary codecs and just pass along the fruits of that purchase freely to the consumer in an upgrade without having them pay.
post #82 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshlol View Post

don't even bother holding your breath for that one. it would be completely outside WD's interests to put money down for the licensing of RM proprietary codecs and just pass along the fruits of that purchase freely to the consumer in an upgrade without having them pay.

Too bad, I didn't realize they need the license from RealMedia to do that. There are many free software (the popular VLC being one of them) out there that supported RMVB playback. I don't believe VLC would license the decoder from RealMedia.

RMVB is still a very popular format in Asia, especially for TV series, just imagine how much bigger their market (compared to Greek market as mentioned by other poster in this thread :-)) can be if they can add support for RMVB..
post #83 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:31 PM

btw, any suggestion for a HD player similar to WD HD and support RMVB ?

Thanks!
post #84 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

It takes like 10 minutes... imagine if I have to do that to 100 MKV... do you understand?

Create a batch file for mkvmerge and run it overnight for a few nights. There are ways to accomplish the task with minimal effort instead of just complaining about it.

If you're not willing to do anything about it yourself and think the Egreat is a better fit for you, then buy it and be happy. That's the beauty of a free market with options.
post #85 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87wrangler View Post

Create a batch file for mkvmerge and run it overnight for a few nights. There are ways to accomplish the task with minimal effort instead of just complaining about it.

If you're not willing to do anything about it yourself and think the Egreat is a better fit for you, then buy it and be happy. That's the beauty of a free market with options.

This is everything I was talking about!!! What is your problem?? Did i said i want to buy an Egreat?? Do you work for WD or do you sell WD products?? Then why are you so upset just because I described two products of the free market that you mensioned?? Talk about fanboys... pfff...

I know i can creat a batch... but obviously you didnt understand my post!

I as a costumer do not want to have extra work to read files that WD advertized the time I bought this product... is that simple! So, it's time for them to fix it!
post #86 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

This is everything I was talking about!!! What is your problem?? Did i said i want to buy an Egreat?? Do you work for WD or do you sell WD products?? Why then are you so upset because I described two products of the free market that you mensioned?? Talk about fanboys... pfff...

You need to relax. I couldn't care less about what products you mention. I was giving you an option to help you with your problem. If you're going to jump down everyone's throat who tries to help you and call them a fanboy then maybe you're the one who has the problem.
post #87 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

First of all, it took ~6min for a 11.5 GB mkv on this relatively modest, 2 year old Core Duo machine of mine. Second, I just tried to help you with a workaround, until WD fixes your problem that is (which doesn't exist for me, but whatever). Should have saved me the effort I guess. Keep on whining and bitching instead, if that makes you happy.
post #88 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87wrangler View Post

You need to relax. I couldn't care less about what products you mention. I was giving you an option to help you with your problem. If you're going to jump down everyone's throat who tries to help you and call them a fanboy then maybe you're the one who has the problem.

"If you're not willing to do anything about it yourself and think the Egreat is a better fit for you, then buy it and be happy."

Sorry but that sentence is offensive for me and you know it... so dont give me false excuses now...
post #89 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:

"If you're not willing to do anything about it yourself and think the Egreat is a better fit for you, then buy it and be happy."

Sorry but that sentence is offensive for me and you know it... so dont give me false excuses now...

How is that offensive??? Are you serious? Did I tell you to buy it and shut up and be happy? You've really got to get a grip...
post #90 of 402 Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First of all, it took ~6min for a 11.5 GB mkv on this relatively modest, 2 year old Core Duo machine of mine. Second, I just tried to help you with a workaround, until WD fixes your problem that is (which doesn't exist for me, but whatever). Should have saved me the effort I guess. Keep on whining and bitching instead, if that makes you happy.

... no comments.. really... it seems impossible to say anything wrong of this player...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page