Basic Streaming ?'s.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Ok, so I am/was considering a Blu-Ray changer or a streamer. Streaming needs to be EASY and I want carbon copy quality to the original BDs. For the sake of conciseness, here's what I have, what should I do?

Sony VAIO laptop. 2.26 Dual Core Centrino

Ps3

Apple TV

I know I need an external HDD. How easy is it to swap in and out with the laptop (or can they (HDDs) somehow sit "in" the network somewhere- they can't, can they- I'd have to hook up the HDD every time to the laptop, right?)? Seeing that I'll likely have a few hundred BD's in the next year, I'm assuming this will mean multiple HDD's?

I buy hardcopies of all my media so I'm not worried about backing anything up, correct? Wait, I prolly do so I don't have to re-rip everything, correct?!

Ugh!!! thats a lot of storage!

Now, (assuming I use my ps3) my ps3 just recognizes the HDD's on the network and "shares" their content, correct? Do I have to worry about streaming "hiccups"?

thanks- none of the streaming threads seem to address these smaller but important ?'s.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Is this process this simple:

1. Buy an external HDD.

2. Rip every damn BD I own one by one and transfer the movie to the HDD

3. Hook up external HDD every time I want to watch a movie.

4. Ps3 "sees" external HDD

5. I open a "folder" containing all of my movies on the ps3

6. I double click on a movie.

7. done

???

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I know I need an external HDD. How easy is it to swap in and out with the laptop (or can they (HDDs) somehow sit "in" the network somewhere- they can't, can they- I'd have to hook up the HDD every time to the laptop, right?)? Seeing that I'll likely have a few hundred BD's in the next year, I'm assuming this will mean multiple HDD's?

What you are describing (a HDD that "sits in the network") is called an NAS (Network Attached Storage). They consist of a HDD, an ethernet port, and a dedicated low powered computer, usually running Linux, to manage the disk I/O. They range in price from under $150, to many thousands, depending on size, configuration, and features. The Buffalo Linkstation brand of drives will give you an idea of the features and price range available at the low end. You can also buy a bare NAS chassis and stock it with the drives of your choice (See the D-Link DNS-321 for example).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

By the way Mastermaybe, if you wish to stream to the PS3, I believe you want an NAS drive that will run a UPnP server. There are many out there that have UPnP built in, and others that allow you to install and run UPnP. Note that the built-in versions are easy to setup, the others are more for geek types.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Also, the PS3 will not recognize blu-ray rips straight from disk, you will need to convert these files into another format, unfortunately.
instead of using a PS3, you might want to think about something along the lines of a Popcorn Hour A110. it will do the same, you can put a hard drive inside it should you wish, or a network drive, or a usb drive, and it will play your media.

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder View Post

Also, the PS3 will not recognize blu-ray rips straight from disk, you will need to convert these files into another format, unfortunately.
instead of using a PS3, you might want to think about something along the lines of a Popcorn Hour A110. it will do the same, you can put a hard drive inside it should you wish, or a network drive, or a usb drive, and it will play your media.

Yes this sounds more of what I'm looking for.

RIP.
STORE.
PLAY.

anything beyond that steams my peas, I have to say.

COnverting a blu-ray into file A-B-C just makes me queasy. Can't explain it- I guess after taking a considerable amountof time setting this up and ripping blurays, I just want that to be it.

So with popcorn hour, this is the vehicle to get my movies to my HT- and then I just provide the HDD? Do I run my own software on my laptop or does popcorn hour provide that like Apple TV?

James

post #7 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You know the more I think about it, the more I come to the notion that perhaps I'm really not looking to "stream" per se at all!

All I really want is an Apple TV like device that I can have UNLIMITED storage on.

Really, if the appleTV could do 1080P and I could hook up 5 TB's of storage on it, I'd be DONE.

Ditto for the PS3...if I could put 200 movies on a 2-3 TB HDD and use the PS3 to play them, I'd be DONE.

Is this an "easier" problem to solve? I really don't need to "stream" anything, correct. This could all be hardwired, yes?

thanlks guys!

James

post #8 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

You know the more I think about it, the more I come to the notion that perhaps I'm really not looking to "stream" per se at all!

All I really want is an Apple TV like device that I can have UNLIMITED storage on.

Really, if the appleTV could do 1080P and I could hook up 5 TB's of storage on it, I'd be DONE.

Ditto for the PS3...if I could put 200 movies on a 2-3 TB HDD and use the PS3 to play them, I'd be DONE.

Is this an "easier" problem to solve? I really don't need to "stream" anything, correct. This could all be hardwired, yes?

thanlks guys!

James

So the largest available single hard drive on the market is 2 TB. That will not fit enough of your ripped Blu Rays. So, if you need to go over 2 TB in storage, you need multiple hard drives. Once you have multiple hd's, how are you going to hook them up to your media player (i.e. the apple tv, popcorn, WDTV)? You could get a usb hub and have a bunch of external enclosure hard drives. How do you keep all the files organized?Is that convenient?
Not for a lot of people, and that is why a lot of people opt for networked storage - either a multi-drive NAS or a PC built specifically as a "media server". once you get into networked storage, files are easier to share with your media player, especially is you have a bunch of files. networked storage you can think of as a media library.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

thanlks guys!

James

Technically you are streaming over your wired network..

the above poster hit it on the head. many people store their media on a network attached storage device, or a home server. if you have some old computer parts laying around, you can pretty easily make a windows home server, and this has many more features than just media storage, it might be worth it to take a look.
once you get your media on the server, you can play it with just about anything.

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page