Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #2581 of 2845 Old 11-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post
Wekya,
If I may add some things to Lairdwilliams' reply:
I have the Synology NAS (1513+ with 22TB actual storage). The DSM software (Diskstation Manager System) in its current 5.1 version, offers a great deal of flexibility.
In terms of media servers, you can install:

1. Their own, unimaginatively called 'Media Server'
2. Plex Media Server
3. Minimserver
4. Logitech Media Server
5. ITunes Server
Excellent, I stand corrected on that point - thx pvanosta.

In which case - for a large video collection, I would strongly recommend installing PLEX. You can then use the PLEX media app to do media and tag management, and sidecar management as well, for the PLEX server. You can also run the PLEX control/playback apps on a mobile device for a better browsing/control experience.

Choices 4 and 5 are great only under certain circumstances. They are both only marginally DLNA compliant. They are uPnP-compliant - but DLNA adds requirements to uPnP that neither of these choices fully supports. If you are using a Squeezebox - then use LMS. If you are using all Apple devices, use iTunes server. Otherwise, you need the interoperability that a compliant DLNA implementation provides, and that means choices 1, 2, or 3. And like I said, choice 2 is very robust media management, tagging, and sidecar capabilities and add-ons that are essential when you have a large collection.

I did an extensive, multi-month "audition" of MANY DLNA server implementations, add-ons (controllers, media management, etc. about a year ago. Plex and its add-ons came in second (to JRiver) for its combination of functionality, interoperability, and reliability when used with an iPad and an Oppo. Being able to run PLEX on the NAS is a huge deal for those who do not have a PC running all the time anyway. (I do...so I just let my server be a server...)
wekya likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2845 Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
3) Only a few video formats support robust tags. MKV and ISOs do NOT...
Just-so-as-you-know... Mosu has recently introduced .mkv file 'tagging' by default to recent builds of his MKVmerge GUI muxing application. So it might not be long before they're supported by UPnP/DLNA file servers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #2583 of 2845 Old 11-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WOW, a lot to unpack there, thanks everybody! Just want to state some main facts; although one daughter has an iPhone, I'm only asking about Android compatible software. I am driven by simplicity and thus want minimal devices wasting power, so am hoping to only have a NAS and OPPO running to create video or audio for the output device. I do have several other computers alive on my network, but do not want to be reliant on them in any way for programming. I am wired ethernet from NAS, and OPPO will also be wired Ethernet. I guess at some point I will have some DSD's, so I need to at least plan for them.

Now, sremic invoked trans-coding, which I don't want the NAS to do. I was under the impression that the OPPO "obtains the data" from the NAS, then does it's magic on that data to trans-code/create the image on my plasma. I have been debating which 2 bay NAS to get based on the horsepower it has, but I was thinking it would not have to do any computational work, as I thought this would be done inside the OPPO? I guess I could use that type of function if I wanted to push a video driect from NAS to the TV, but I have an OPPO to do that masterfully don't I? Even if I want to watch a file on any of my devices on the network, won't the video be rendered using the viewing devices on board CPU/GPU, with the only work done by the NAS being to serve the data stream?

So it comes down to PLEX or Jriver? You guys all talk about PLEX, but no details about Jriver. I know everyone raves about Jriver, but only in the context of music....is it not suitable for video? I'm not sure I want to even begin the task of tagging/re-tagging unless I could get something that would just take the filename and create a tag for it in a batch process for all my video. My audio mostly does have tags, but some dates from last century and so isn't tagged. And then going forward I would have to tag all new stuff which smells like a PITA??!?! My album art is not up to snuff either... But then my biggest question is if something doesn't have a tag, does that mean PLEX won't either, index it correctly (it will present a gibberish name), or worse, a poorly tagged file won't show up at all in whatever (Plex android??) app's library I use on the Android device to drive/push/select the content to the OPPO? I definitely don't look forward to tagging 2500 video files.

Then from that comes the still main question: can third party apps (PLEX, Jriver) create a simple family friendly front end for video, sending the requisite data to the OPPO seamlessly, or do I need an OPPO app in the mix too? I want to output the video sound to my cheap and cheerful Vizio 5.1 via the OPPO optical out. I would love to have only one app on each individual's device to drive the video experience, i.e. to select what file to play, and to control to volume level for video...do any of you do this, or do you have 42 remotes AND a tablet/mobile device on your coffee table? For music maybe I'm willing to use an app to select playlists, and another to control the volume (foobar does both for me now, and yes I have read, understand, and acknowledge the audiophile arguments against using the OPPO digital volume as a preamp).

Also, can anyone point me to a good lay explanation about what DLNA (compliance), uPnP, SMB, etc are, and their merits? I'm pretty certain I allow uPnP on my network, but I saw it mentioned as being a potential hack on smallnetbuilder. I know his is beyond the scope of this thread, but it is the base camp of the mountain we climb.

Asus VivoPC HTPC Win10 i5 16GB RAM Intel graphics OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Linn MDSM/2>Linn 6100/D>Linn Aktiv Ninkas (Linn K600 and silver RCAs), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus AC88U router

Last edited by wekya; 11-29-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2845 Old 11-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekya View Post
WOW, a lot to unpack there, thanks everybody! Just want to state some main facts; although one daughter has an iPhone, I'm only asking about Android compatible software. I am driven by simplicity and thus want minimal devices wasting power, so am hoping to only have a NAS and OPPO running to create video or audio for the output device. I do have several other computers alive on my network, but do not want to be reliant on them in any way for programming. I am wired ethernet from NAS, and OPPO will also be wired Ethernet. I guess at some point I will have some DSD's, so I need to at least plan for them.

Now, sremic invoked trans-coding, which I don't want the NAS to do. I was under the impression that the OPPO "obtains the data" from the NAS, then does it's magic on that data to trans-code/create the image on my plasma. I have been debating which 2 bay NAS to get based on the horsepower it has, but I was thinking it would not have to do any computational work, as I thought this would be done inside the OPPO? I guess I could use that type of function if I wanted to push a video driect from NAS to the TV, but I have an OPPO to do that masterfully don't I? Even if I want to watch a file on any of my devices on the network, won't the video be rendered using the viewing devices on board CPU/GPU, with the only work done by the NAS being to serve the data stream?

So it comes down to PLEX or Jriver? You guys all talk about PLEX, but no details about Jriver. I know everyone raves about Jriver, but only in the context of music....is it not suitable for video? I'm not sure I want to even begin the task of tagging/re-tagging unless I could get something that would just take the filename and create a tag for it in a batch process for all my video. My audio mostly does have tags, but some dates from last century and so isn't tagged. And then going forward I would have to tag all new stuff which smells like a PITA??!?! My album art is not up to snuff either... But then my biggest question is if something doesn't have a tag, does that mean PLEX won't either, index it correctly (it will present a gibberish name), or worse, a poorly tagged file won't show up at all in whatever (Plex android??) app's library I use on the Android device to drive/push/select the content to the OPPO? I definitely don't look forward to tagging 2500 video files.

Then from that comes the still main question: can third party apps (PLEX, Jriver) create a simple family friendly front end for video, sending the requisite data to the OPPO seamlessly, or do I need an OPPO app in the mix too? I want to output the video sound to my cheap and cheerful Vizio 5.1 via the OPPO optical out. I would love to have only one app on each individual's device to drive the video experience, i.e. to select what file to play, and to control to volume level for video...do any of you do this, or do you have 42 remotes AND a tablet/mobile device on your coffee table? For music maybe I'm willing to use an app to select playlists, and another to control the volume (foobar does both for me now, and yes I have read, understand, and acknowledge the audiophile arguments against using the OPPO digital volume as a preamp).

Also, can anyone point me to a good lay explanation about what DLNA (compliance), uPnP, SMB, etc are, and their merits? I'm pretty certain I allow uPnP on my network, but I saw it mentioned as being a potential hack on smallnetbuilder. I know his is beyond the scope of this thread, but it is the base camp of the mountain we climb.
I think the reason we didn't talk about JRiver, is because JRIver will only run on a PC, not on a NAS and I believe you want the PC out of the equation.

I have JRiver (MC20) on my PC myself, but since my NAS was set up, I have not used JRiver or my PC in the chain at all.

There should be no transcoding done by the NAS. The OPPO will do its thing.
wekya likes this.
post #2585 of 2845 Old 11-29-2014, 07:34 PM

So PLEX is the only game in Synology-town? I've also seen minim mentioned...anything I should consider about it?

I've thought about QNAP, and it seems to have the quality/flexibily/functionality of Synology but a less refined UI. The Linnies, and many on Lenjonklou all seem to intimate QNAP are sonically better, which is easily dismissed as hokum, but since they are comparably priced, can anyone advocate QNAP instead of Synology?

Asus VivoPC HTPC Win10 i5 16GB RAM Intel graphics OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Linn MDSM/2>Linn 6100/D>Linn Aktiv Ninkas (Linn K600 and silver RCAs), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
post #2586 of 2845 Old 11-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
How do you use PLEX with the OPPO without a PC? I don't see a way to use PLEX to push files to the Oppo..

The only PC-less configuration that works for me (music only) is Linn Kinsky with Minimserver

(I have a QNAP)
spotts29 likes this.

Last edited by fmzip; 11-29-2014 at 08:08 PM.
post #2587 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 12:52 AM

Fmz, Correct me if I'm wrong but this post a few up in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post29439842

Seems to say PLEX can be installed on, at least, a Synology. Try to see if it's available as a package on your QNAP.

Your post has me still wondering if the NAS has to do any other work for video other than sending the data though...

post #2588 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Out of interest... What does installing Plex on a Synology NAS offer over Synology's own media serving application (currently v1.3-2575)?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #2589 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Fmz, Correct me if I'm wrong but this post a few up in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post29439842

Seems to say PLEX can be installed on, at least, a Synology. Try to see if it's available as a package on your QNAP.

Your post has me still wondering if the NAS has to do any other work for video other than sending the data though...
Yes,

I read this and still don't see how it's accomplished.

I have Plex installed on my NAS, I see the webpage interface, loaded my library etc. GREAT interface, similar to JRiver......

Under "network" on my Oppo, I see Plex, my Twonkymedia server, my NAS etc. I select Plex, select the folder my music is in and it takes forever to load and just shows file structure.

What I am looking for is a GUI like JRiver or Linn Kinksy. If Plex can't push data to the Oppo, the app is no better that Oppo's network interface. File folder searching is too time consuming.

The beauty of an app like Minimserver and LinnKinsky accomplishes exactly what is needed to push music to the Oppo using an Ipad as the graphic controller, someone needs to adapt this very same concept for video..

The only thing that is close is Jriver/Jremote....you need a PC/Ipad for a graphical family friendly interface. In this setup (and the above), you simply turn the Oppo on, select the video/music you want to watch/listen to from the Ipad or PC and it sends the info right to the Oppo and magically plays it right on the TV for the family

Oppo would have a fantastic opportunity to join forces with Jriver/Plex to have an app loaded right on the player......this would be IDEAL! A GUI is a MUST HAVE for family friendly netwrok operation

Last edited by fmzip; 11-30-2014 at 07:41 AM.
post #2590 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Yes,

I read this and still don't see how it's accomplished.

I have Plex installed on my NAS, I see the webpage interface, loaded my library etc. GREAT interface, similar to JRiver......

Under "network" on my Oppo, I see Plex, my Twonkymedia server, my NAS etc. I select Plex, select the folder my music is in and it takes forever to load and just shows file structure.

What I am looking for is a GUI like JRiver or Linn Kinksy. If Plex can't push data to the Oppo, the app is no better that Oppo's network interface. File folder searching is too time consuming.

The beauty of an app like Minimserver and LinnKinsky accomplishes exactly what is needed to push music to the Oppo using an Ipad as the graphic controller, someone needs to adapt this very same concept for video
Kinsky and other generic DMCs work with Plex's DLNA server also.

I have no problem with minimserver mind you - it is just that having just a DLNA server with a controller/renderer and/or player is not enough for someone with a reasonably-large collection. For movies (as an example), you generally need sidecar files to hold album art and metadata since many movie file formats have little-to-no tagging/metadata capabilities. The server needs to support metadata sidecar files for starters. Without this data, you have very little data aside from the filename to use for browsing a large movie library. (Genre? Actors? Director?)

Unfortunately, sidecar implementations are NOT standardized. Some implementations want the cover art to be just jpegs and be called "cover.jpg" and be placed in the same directory as the corresponding movie media. Others support other file types for cover art, and might require that the filename-less-extension of the media file match that of the cover art file. Further, the other metadata, if the server supports it at all, may or may not be in XML, and even if it is XML, God only knows what tags are being used.

This means that the provider of a DLNA server must, in practical terms, ALSO provide the mechanism for managing these sidecar files. Nobody else will even know what format they use. It is NOT enough for the server to go out to some site and download the information and create the initial sidecar when it finds a new movie. Downloaded metadata, ESPECIALLY for movies, just plain sucks right now. It is far far far less reliable than what we get for music, which still is not perfect (and can't be). The user has to have a way to "fix" it after it is downloaded, and to create it when there is none to download.

So what do you use to do that with minimserver? Does minimserver even USE sidecars? Does it provide you with a mechanism for managing them? Some capability within the web interface? Maybe a separate app?

If you have a small-to-moderate media collection, maybe a couple-hundred movies and a couple thousand music files, this is not as important. But if you have several hundred movies and several thousand (or tens of thousands) music files, media management is an essential part of the total solution - and that counts out a lot of otherwise-very-attractive products.

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #2591 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So it comes down to PLEX or Jriver?
JRiver is out if you want to run it on the NAS. There is no implementation of JRMC that runs on any NAS products at this time. If you want JRMC, you need to run it on a PC. (Yes, there are implementations for other platforms - but they are far less reliable and their feature support lags the PC version substantially.)

You have several options on your NAS. Since video is your primary objective, you may need more help with media and metadata management than those of us who are more music-focused - especially if you have a large collection. See my post above. To get what you want out of a DLNA implementation on your NAS, you will need:

1) A DLNA server that plays "nice" with the Oppo. (This is the easy part - most of your choices will do this).
2) A controller that interoperates well with both the Oppo and the server. (Harder - but you can find several combinations that work. Kinsky is a good choice. It won't be jRemote reliable or feature-rich, but it will work reasonably-well with all 3 of the servers that run on the Synology.
3) A media management app or web-based capability that is specifically-designed to work with the specific server that you run on the NAS (for video metadata. Tag/metadata management for music can be done nicely with any one of a number of good tagging apps, since the tagging mechanisms for music file formats are standardized and well-documented.)

Nice-to-have - the ability to customize the browsing structure. Yes, you certainly want album/artist/genre etc. for music. But what about symphonic/chamber music - Performances by ensemble? Conductor? Composer? Soloist? Movies by Director? Genre? Lead Actor? Other actors? Year released? Special subcategory for black and white films or multichannel music? Special organization for concert movies by genre/artist? Oh yeah - you need metadata to support all of that. And you need to be able to manage that metadata. See (3) above ;-)

And while this SOUNDS like a lot of effort - once you get a scheme that you like in place, doing the tagging/metadata management AS YOU ADD EACH ITEM takes about 5 minutes. So you spin the disk and rip it, add 5 minutes to manage the metadata, and you are DONE, and you have a great experience for you and your "users" at the other end of the process.

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 11-30-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #2592 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
JRiver is out if you want to run it on the NAS. There is no implementation of JRMC that runs on any NAS products at this time. If you want JRMC, you need to run it on a PC. (Yes, there are implementations for other platforms - but they are far less reliable and their feature support lags the PC version substantially.)

You have several options on your NAS. Since video is your primary objective, you may need more help with media and metadata management than those of us who are more music-focused - especially if you have a large collection. See my post above. To get what you want out of a DLNA implementation on your NAS, you will need:

1) A DLNA server that plays "nice" with the Oppo. (This is the easy part - most of your choices will do this).
2) A controller that interoperates well with both the Oppo and the server. (Harder - but you can find several combinations that work. Kinsky is a good choice. It won't be jRemote reliable or feature-rich, but it will work reasonably-well with all 3 of the servers that run on the Synology.
3) A media management app or web-based capability that is specifically-designed to work with the specific server that you run on the NAS (for video metadata. Tag/metadata management for music can be done nicely with any one of a number of good tagging apps, since the tagging mechanisms for music file formats are standardized and well-documented.)

Nice-to-have - the ability to customize the browsing structure. Yes, you certainly want album/artist/genre etc. for music. But what about symphonic/chamber music - Performances by ensemble? Conductor? Composer? Soloist? Movies by Director? Genre? Lead Actor? Other actors? Year released? Special subcategory for black and white films or multichannel music? Special organization for concert movies by genre/artist? Oh yeah - you need metadata to support all of that. And you need to be able to manage that metadata. See (3) above ;-)

And while this SOUNDS like a lot of effort - once you get a scheme that you like in place, doing the tagging/metadata management AS YOU ADD EACH ITEM takes about 5 minutes. So you spin the disk and rip it, add 5 minutes to manage the metadata, and you are DONE, and you have a great experience for you and your "users" at the other end of the process.
Well my main question still is where is the processing done, in the NAS, or the OPPO. I really don't want it done in the NAS.

But Laird, I'm still curious if I need tags. If I know the name of the video file, can I search for it using the name as a keyword? Does Plex (or whatever UI program that exists on my device) present me with an alphabetical list of each of the files in any folder/library, like windows does now? If it does, and I can scroll up and down it relatively quickly like I can in Windows, then I guess I'll be happy enough.

Last edited by wekya; 11-30-2014 at 08:42 AM.
post #2593 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
So PLEX is the only game in Synology-town? I've also seen minim mentioned...anything I should consider about it?

I've thought about QNAP, and it seems to have the quality/flexibily/functionality of Synology but a less refined UI. The Linnies, and many on Lenjonklou all seem to intimate QNAP are sonically better, which is easily dismissed as hokum, but since they are comparably priced, can anyone advocate QNAP instead of Synology?
I have QNAP TS-569L NAS in both my systems and my son-in-law has a one, too. They have been reliable and the audio results are excellent. That said, I see no reason to recommend them over the Synology which is used by some of my friends. BTW, PLEX runs on the QNAPs too but I have not used it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2594 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well my main question still is where is the processing done, in the NAS, or the OPPO. I really don't want it done in the NAS.
In DLNA, there are really only two types of "processing". There is playback processing. This is about unpacking, decoding, and playing back the actual media. DLNA servers do not do playback. Only DLNA Players and Renderers (the Oppo is both) do this. So the Oppo will be doing this part.

The other kind of "processing" is transcoding. Let's suppose that you have a player that CAN'T play flac files, for example. (Rare - but this is a hypothetical EXAMPLE - so please don't get muddied in those kinds of details.). Suppose then that you want to play back a flac file from your DLNA server. Well...your player can't play it. There are two choices, really. 1) Not be able to play the file back at all or 2) convert the file to something else that your player CAN use. DLNA servers can do this in real-time. That's it - "transcoding" is just a fancy word for converting one type of media to another.

And what if you don't want transcoding? Most DLNA servers enable you to turn it completely off in the configuration, at which point the DLNA server does ZERO "processing". It just provides a library, a way to browse it, and then provides the contents of selected files to players/renderers, which actually do the work.

Quote:
But Laird, I'm still curious if I need tags. If I know the name of the video file, can I search for it using the name as a keyword? Does Plex (or whatever UI program that exists on my device) present me with an alphabetical list of each of the files in any folder/library, like windows does now? If it does, and I can scroll up and down it relatively quickly like I can in Windows, then I guess I'll be happy enough.
A DLNA server is not a filesystem server - and if all you want to do is fileshare using a traditional file/folder structure, then a DLNA server is complete overkill. If you want your collection presented in a file/folder structure and ignoring tags, then just mount the disk through SMB (file system sharing supported by Oppo and your NAS) and fuggetaboudit. Then you can use the Oppo Media Control app. One of the key things about using a DLNA setup is that you aren't confined to such a restricted library scheme - but if that is what you want then perhaps you need to reconsider whether you need a DLNA server at all.
wekya likes this.

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 11-30-2014 at 10:15 AM.
post #2595 of 2845 Old 11-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

To do it right and make it manageable, you really need a PC. I see no other way

A low power option would be something like this for or make your own

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87617.0
post #2596 of 2845 Old 12-01-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
To do it right and make it manageable, you really need a PC. I see no other way

A low power option would be something like this for or make your own

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87617.0
I have this http://www.pcworld.com/product/10960...100-ur20p.html which is low power, but I don't want an HTPC anymore. The OPPO will hopefully become all the output functions of the HTPC, the NAS the storage/library/aggregation functions.

Quote:
In DLNA, there are really only two types of "processing". There is playback processing. This is about unpacking, decoding, and playing back the actual media. DLNA servers do not do playback. Only DLNA Players and Renderers (the Oppo is both) do this. So the Oppo will be doing this part.
YAY!! You're the first that has made that clear to me, thanks!

Quote:
The other kind of "processing" is transcoding. Let's suppose that you have a player that CAN'T play flac files, for example. (Rare - but this is a hypothetical EXAMPLE - so please don't get muddied in those kinds of details.). Suppose then that you want to play back a flac file from your DLNA server. Well...your player can't play it. There are two choices, really. 1) Not be able to play the file back at all or 2) convert the file to something else that your player CAN use. DLNA servers can do this in real-time. That's it - "transcoding" is just a fancy word for converting one type of media to another.
Which I'm pretty sure I don't need with the super power of the OPPO? And I can save a bit of money by not buying the most powerful NAS?

Quote:
And what if you don't want transcoding? Most DLNA servers enable you to turn it completely off in the configuration, at which point the DLNA server does ZERO "processing". It just provides a library, a way to browse it, and then provides the contents of selected files to players/renderers, which actually do the work.

A DLNA server is not a filesystem server - and if all you want to do is fileshare using a traditional file/folder structure, then a DLNA server is complete overkill. If you want your collection presented in a file/folder structure and ignoring tags, then just mount the disk through SMB (file system sharing supported by Oppo and your NAS) and fuggetaboudit. Then you can use the Oppo Media Control app. One of the key things about using a DLNA setup is that you aren't confined to such a restricted library scheme - but if that is what you want then perhaps you need to reconsider whether you need a DLNA server at all.
Which for me, now at least, is what I want. I will try to climb the mountain to where you are, but I want to make the transition seamless and quick right now. That means I will start with DLNA looking to the future. Many have derided the OPPO app, is it really that bad? I think people seem it be indicating I'll want to use a PLEX app as a front end on all the mobile devices, or will I just use OPPO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I have QNAP TS-569L NAS in both my systems and my son-in-law has a one, too. They have been reliable and the audio results are excellent. That said, I see no reason to recommend them over the Synology which is used by some of my friends. BTW, PLEX runs on the QNAPs too but I have not used it.
Being a reviewer, you must try the gamut of all these things. Do you care to share, or have you posted your daily driver (software) setup? I'm certain your workflow setup might be of interest to this thread.

post #2597 of 2845 Old 12-01-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Being a reviewer, you must try the gamut of all these things. Do you care to share, or have you posted your daily driver (software) setup? I'm certain your workflow setup might be of interest to this thread.
It is all in my columns at http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #2598 of 2845 Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I read the OPPO one, hoping that would contain the secrets, but nada. Is there one that you remember has the details for both your spaces? Do you use the identical server/playback setup for both?

This player, and OPPO in general, has to strike fear into the hearts of pretty much every manufacturer on the planet. It's not just editors of august mags, who say it more than holds its own against units of several magnitudes higher in price, but diehard fanbois of all stripes who are recognising the unparalleled value, flexibility, and musicality in this $1300 machine. The OPPO executives should be fearful of convertibles and grassy knolls...the Hi-Fi industrial complex can't be happy!

post #2599 of 2845 Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I read the OPPO one, hoping that would contain the secrets, but nada. Is there one that you remember has the details for both your spaces? Do you use the identical server/playback setup for both?
Here's what's in each system.
In NYC:
DIGITAL SOURCES Oppo BDP-105 universal player, Baetis XR2 PC-based music server.
DACs: exaSound e28, Mytek Stereo 192-DSD
PREAMPLIFICATION , Audio Research MP1, Meridian HD621 HDMI audio processor & 861 Reference v8 digital surround controller.
POWER AMPLIFIERS McIntosh MC303, Parasound Halo A31, McCormack DNA1 (Rev.A).
SPEAKERS Bowers & Wilkens 800Diamond (L/C/R), 804diamond (LS/RS).

In CT:
DIGITAL SOURCES Oppo BDP-103 universal BD player, Macmini running JRiver Music Center, Audirvana Plus.
PREAMPLIFIER Marantz AV8801.
POWER AMPLIFIER Bryston 9BST.
LOUDSPEAKERS Paradigm Studio 60v3 (L/C/R), Studio 20v2 (SR/SL).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #2600 of 2845 Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Been reading through this thread and have gotten confused over some of the terminology, so I thought I'd ask: I have a 105D, iPad, and a Synology NAS where all my media is stored. Right now, I'm using Jriver to play the media by sending it from my NAS to my 105D. I'm looking for a way to do this without using my PC, just my iPad. In other words, use the iPad to access the media on my NAS and send it to my 105D.
post #2601 of 2845 Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
SolRage,
Welcome to my world.
I was happy with Jriver streaming from my PC to my OPPO, controlled from my Ipad.
But I was not happy leaving my PC on 24/7.
So I bought the Synology NAS with 6x5 TB drives, set up a hybrid RAID of 22TB and I was off to the races.
Except... I could not longer use JRiver, unless the PC was on (along with the new Synology), which kinda defeated the purpose.

Luckily, the Synology OS application package comes with a decent (note the word decent) audio player / controller app (called DS Audio Station), which also has a good iOS ap, which I promptly installed on my iPhone and iPad.

Now I can browse, search and play any of my files directly from the NAS to the OPPO without the PC and in truth I don't miss JRiver all that much (not enough to turn the PC on in any case).
SeeMoreDigital and scheong like this.
post #2602 of 2845 Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
How do you use PLEX with the OPPO without a PC? I don't see a way to use PLEX to push files to the Oppo..

The only PC-less configuration that works for me (music only) is Linn Kinsky with Minimserver

(I have a QNAP)
Here is ONE way to use PLEX to play music in the Oppo without a computer:
You need a NAS, PLEX, and your Oppo player.

1) Put all your media files (music, video, photos, etc.) in the NAS (I use a Drobo; others here use Synology)
2) Then you install the PLEX App in the NAS. PLEX will index all your media.
3) Then use your Oppo remote control and go to the Oppo home menu. The PLEX will show under "Network". Choose PLEX and browse the directories to play your music, video, etc. You can also use your Oppo Media Control App (with your iPhone, iPad, etc.) you will see PLEX as an option to connect to.

I do not know if PLEX has an app available for QNAP, however, I just checked on line and found this notice from september 2014 : "Update 9/25/14: QNAP says it also supports Plex and is "working closely" with Plex to incorporate QNAP's hardware transcoding in the x51/x53 series NASes."

With a PLEX App running in the QNAP, the process should be the same.

In my opinion, Oppo Media Control App needs lots of work. It is crash-prone, does not show cover art, etc. It is a rudimentary in my view.
post #2603 of 2845 Old 12-03-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I find the Synology apps work well for me, so you might want to try those before looking at the alternatives.

The main things I've struggled with are:
-Metadata for movies. Not all scrapers interpret filenames the same.
-Playing full quality Blu-Ray rips on my iPad is not possible without transcoding taking place somewhere. Plex on NAS can't do it but Plex on PC can. There is an iPad app (nPlayer) that can also do it well, but without DTS support.

I find that I keep my PC off these day and use the NAS controlled by my tablet for almost everything, but if I need to watch BluRay MKVs on the tablet, I use WOL to turn on the PC to transcode with Plex Media Server and the Plex app.

Last edited by Manic_D; 12-03-2014 at 08:27 PM.
post #2604 of 2845 Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post
-Playing full quality Blu-Ray rips on my iPad is not possible without transcoding taking place somewhere. Plex on NAS can't do it but Plex on PC can.
Not quite semantically correct. Depends on your "NAS". If you're buying an off-the-shelf consumer NAS device with a CPU sized just for dishing out files, correct. If you build your own NAS appliance, not necessarily correct.

I have a NAS... and it is, indeed, a true "NAS"... but with CPU horsepower to spare. I over-engineered and future-proofed it by putting in way more-powerful of a CPU than I need today, knowing I'd be running Plex Media Server directly on the NAS, so that even into the future I'd still be able to transcode many streams. The only hardware changes I'll need to make is replacing the HDDs with larger as I outgrow the storage capacity.

My point being that if you want a NAS that transcodes, you can have this. But you're not going to get it from a $400 off-the-shelf consumer NAS appliance with its underpowered CPU. You might be able to install PMS on some of them, but there's a difference between running Plex and also being able to transcode, and in-turn being able to transcode more than 1-2 streams at once.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #2605 of 2845 Old 12-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
^^^

That's right, sure, I should have specified that. I was replying more specifically to wekya, who mentioned Synology. Not enough guts to transcode HD with the typical Synology NAS Running Plex.
post #2606 of 2845 Old 12-04-2014, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
Here is ONE way to use PLEX to play music in the Oppo without a computer:
You need a NAS, PLEX, and your Oppo player.

1) Put all your media files (music, video, photos, etc.) in the NAS (I use a Drobo; others here use Synology)
2) Then you install the PLEX App in the NAS. PLEX will index all your media.
3) Then use your Oppo remote control and go to the Oppo home menu. The PLEX will show under "Network". Choose PLEX and browse the directories to play your music, video, etc. You can also use your Oppo Media Control App (with your iPhone, iPad, etc.) you will see PLEX as an option to connect to.

I do not know if PLEX has an app available for QNAP, however, I just checked on line and found this notice from september 2014 : "Update 9/25/14: QNAP says it also supports Plex and is "working closely" with Plex to incorporate QNAP's hardware transcoding in the x51/x53 series NASes."

With a PLEX App running in the QNAP, the process should be the same.

In my opinion, Oppo Media Control App needs lots of work. It is crash-prone, does not show cover art, etc. It is a rudimentary in my view.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have Plex on my Qnap. As you said, the Oppo app needs help. It is crash prone so this isn't a solution yet.
post #2607 of 2845 Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Sorry guys, call me stupid or crazy if you want, but still I'm missing this whole transcoding concept. Is everything related to the creation of images done by the silicon inside the OPPO (or as mentioned above, an iPad etc.)? Can the OPPO 105D handle anything thrown at it, which I'm guessing these days the most challenging thing would be playing a 3D Bluray .iso stored on a NAS? In my imagination the killer electronics inside the OPPO should do all the work. I think/hope the NAS is simply treated as a source of data, akin to the onboard disk player. The OPPO, or any device, says "gimme data so I can make pretty pictures" and the data stream comes either from the onboard disk player, or a NAS. The main reason I'm buying this unit is because my HTPC just can't cut the mustard with 1080p files anymore. That said, if the NAS, (rather than the 105D) with it's lesser CPU is being asked to "crunch data to make pretty pictures" I'm afraid I'll wind up back in uncut mustard land. That goes double if the NAS is also doing all of it's other duties sharing data to other users, and writing to itself.

Last edited by wekya; 12-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #2608 of 2845 Old 12-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry guys, call me stupid or crazy if you want, but still I'm missing this whole transcoding concept. Is everything related to the creation of images done by the silicon inside the OPPO (or as mentioned above, an iPad etc.)? Can the OPPO 105D handle anything thrown at it, which I'm guessing these days the most challenging thing would be playing a 3D Bluray .iso stored on a NAS? In my imagination the killer electronics inside the OPPO should do all the work. I think/hope the NAS is simply treated as a source of data, akin to the onboard disk player. The OPPO, or any device, says "gimme data so I can make pretty pictures" and the data stream comes either from the onboard disk player, or a NAS. The main reason I'm buying this unit is because my HTPC just can't cut the mustard with 1080p files anymore. That said, if the NAS, (rather than the 105D) with it's lesser CPU is being asked to "crunch data to make pretty pictures" I'm afraid I'll wind up back in uncut mustard land. That goes double if the NAS is also doing all of it's other duties sharing data to other users, and writing to itself.

The OPPO cannot create pretty pictures for artwork and browsing....that is the problem as to why you can't eliminate a PC/NAS if you want an enjoyable , easy to use, GUI. It can handle these files:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

My 105D handles any 1080P file I throw at it, the majority being MKV. Your network need to be up to the task.

With the Oppo, you browse by file folder structure like Windows Explorer. It's not a fancy GUI like you see with Plex or JRiver

Last edited by fmzip; 12-04-2014 at 11:29 AM.
post #2609 of 2845 Old 12-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't own a 105D, but the CPU in most peoples' transcoding PC/NAS is better than the CPU in the Oppo. In the first page of this thread, it says that the supported video formats are *.MPG and *.MKV. From this, one would assume that any video files in any other formats would have to be transcoded prior to being sent to the Oppo for it to be able to play them.

I know when I was using DLNA with my 83, I even had to re-work *.MP4 video files before the 83 would play them. AVI and MOV had to be fully transcoded into new files in my library before they were usable.

With my Plex, I know I can lean on the Plex server to transcode from anything to anything. It knows from the Plex client on the requesting device what the required formats, resolution and desired bitrates are, and then it transcodes on the back end to just magically make it work for any device. This is particularly nice because if you have a device that supports a given file format, but either the hardware or the data connection can't support the inherant bitrate of the source file, transcoding will still take place as to not overwhelm the client or trigger buffering because of a 8Mbit/s bitrate video being sent over a 2Mbit/s data link.
wekya likes this.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #2610 of 2845 Old 12-04-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Streaming problems

Hi Guys,

Im starting to pull my hair out regarding a streaming issue I'm having and I'd greatly appreciate some help before my Oppo 103D ends up airborn :P

My very simple set up consists of:

WD USB3 HDD - Linksys WRT1900AC router - Wired to my OPPO.

No matter what movie I play I get the same problem.

The movie loads up fast and plays fine for the first 2 minutes, then it freezes for about 30 seconds, plays for about 10 seconds freezes again and then plays through all the way to the end of the movie without a hitch.
I have no idea what's going on. If I plug HD directly into OPPO using USB all files play fine.
But I'm using my router as the central hub for all my media.
My other devices can play files using the same set up just fine.
My streamer plays all my music perfectly through the router and I can use my Android devices to play the same movies on my phone or tablet over WiFi without a hitch.
It's only my OPPO that struggles.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page