Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #2611 of 2845 Old 12-04-2014, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekya View Post
Sorry guys, call me stupid or crazy if you want, but still I'm missing this whole transcoding concept. Is everything related to the creation of images done by the silicon inside the OPPO (or as mentioned above, an iPad etc.)? Can the OPPO 105D handle anything thrown at it, which I'm guessing these days the most challenging thing would be playing a 3D Bluray .iso stored on a NAS? In my imagination the killer electronics inside the OPPO should do all the work. I think/hope the NAS is simply treated as a source of data, akin to the onboard disk player. The OPPO, or any device, says "gimme data so I can make pretty pictures" and the data stream comes either from the onboard disk player, or a NAS. The main reason I'm buying this unit is because my HTPC just can't cut the mustard with 1080p files anymore. That said, if the NAS, (rather than the 105D) with it's lesser CPU is being asked to "crunch data to make pretty pictures" I'm afraid I'll wind up back in uncut mustard land. That goes double if the NAS is also doing all of it's other duties sharing data to other users, and writing to itself.
The Oppo will play pretty much anything you can throw at it. Transcoding is only a factor if you want to play videos from your NAS on another device that can't play everything.

The Oppo only has a basic file view for browsing, without thumbnails or metadata (unless you count the Gracenote built in which is very poor), although Synology etc have their own apps for that if you prefer to use a tablet etc to send files to the Oppo. If you have used Kodi or Plex, you might find that look and information desirable!

I actually have a dedicated Kodi box and run Plex on PC, but the Oppo has better quality (although some say they can't see a difference.)

It all depends on what your needs are now and in the future.

Last edited by Manic_D; 12-04-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2845 Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry, when I said pretty pictures, I should have said pretty moving images.

Totally OT...sremnick....where do you fall on youse and ain't?

Asus VivoPC HTPC Win10 i5 16GB RAM Intel graphics OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Linn MDSM/2>Linn 6100/D>Linn Aktiv Ninkas (Linn K600 and silver RCAs), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus AC88U router
post #2613 of 2845 Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post
Luckily, the Synology OS application package comes with a decent (note the word decent) audio player / controller app (called DS Audio Station), which also has a good iOS ap, which I promptly installed on my iPhone and iPad.

Now I can browse, search and play any of my files directly from the NAS to the OPPO without the PC and in truth I don't miss JRiver all that much (not enough to turn the PC on in any case).
Thanks for the response. I actually already have Audio Station installed but didn't know that I could use it to play the music through my Oppo. Is there anything within Audio Station that you have to set to make it send the player to the Oppo?

Also, sorry for the late reply, but I've been offline most all of last week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 2845 Old 12-10-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
SolRage:

1. Turn the OPPO on (duh)
2. Make sure the OPPO and the NAS are on the same network (especially if using Wifi)
3. Launch the Audiostation app on your handheld device and go to settings (the cog wheel thingy, somewhere at the top)
4. look for the output option / player and select the OPPO (which should show up in the list, assuming you launched the app after you turned the OPPO on)
5. Browse your library and play.
post #2615 of 2845 Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 PM

Well now I'm back here with a different question. It's really a clarification though. I can't decide between the Synology DS215j, or the DS214play.

1. I think its been made clear that the OPPO 105D doesn't need transcoding done on any NAS using plex etc, the OPPO does all the video creation as it only needs the raw data stream correct?

2. I should buy the cheaper 215j because it should be able to serve all the bits the OPPO needs so it can play the most intensive video, say a ripped BluRay 3D 1080p .mkv, flawlessly, while the NAS is concurrently downloading files from the WAN and sharing other files with 2-3 users inside my LAN? (with a nod to the above, NAS to OPPO all in ethernet)

Asus VivoPC HTPC Win10 i5 16GB RAM Intel graphics OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Linn MDSM/2>Linn 6100/D>Linn Aktiv Ninkas (Linn K600 and silver RCAs), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
post #2616 of 2845 Old 12-13-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
You can also use your Oppo Media Control App (with your iPhone, iPad, etc.) you will see PLEX as an option to connect to.
I did NOT see an option for PLEX on my Oppo Media Control App.
post #2617 of 2845 Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
SolRage:

1. Turn the OPPO on (duh)
2. Make sure the OPPO and the NAS are on the same network (especially if using Wifi)
3. Launch the Audiostation app on your handheld device and go to settings (the cog wheel thingy, somewhere at the top)
4. look for the output option / player and select the OPPO (which should show up in the list, assuming you launched the app after you turned the OPPO on)
5. Browse your library and play.
Thanks for this. Spent most of today playing Christmas music like this while putting up decorations! Only hiccup is that I noticed Audio Station doesn't do gapless playback, which would be more annoying with serious listening. Any option that does gapless via iPad -> Synology -> Oppo?
post #2618 of 2845 Old 12-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
Thanks for this. Spent most of today playing Christmas music like this while putting up decorations! Only hiccup is that I noticed Audio Station doesn't do gapless playback, which would be more annoying with serious listening. Any option that does gapless via iPad -> Synology -> Oppo?
I've not looked closely, but my recollection is that AudioStation is functioning as a DLNA server in this configuration, so the Oppo is being used as a DLNA renderer. If I am correct about this, then there is no option for gapless yet. The Oppo does not do gapless over DLNA.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #2619 of 2845 Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
I've not looked closely, but my recollection is that AudioStation is functioning as a DLNA server in this configuration, so the Oppo is being used as a DLNA renderer. If I am correct about this, then there is no option for gapless yet. The Oppo does not do gapless over DLNA.
Thanks LairdWilliams.
I have a quick question: I have been reading a lot about gapless playback. What exactly is meant by that phrase? Whatever it is, I don't seem to miss it. I'm enjoying the convenience of having a vast library on my NAS (over 10,000 CDs now) and having the ability to search, browse and play anything I want using my smartphone or tablet anywhere in the house.
If the 'gapless' in gapless playback refers to the short pause between tracks, that (to me at least) is such a minor inconvenience compared to the major upsides, that I don't even notice it.
I have now also ripped my collection of CDs (1000 or so actual discs) to my NAS and will be donating them to friends and colleagues once ripped. The only media I will hang onto, are a small collection of SACDs and DVD-A.
post #2620 of 2845 Old 12-14-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
If the 'gapless' in gapless playback refers to the short pause between tracks, that (to me at least) is such a minor inconvenience compared to the major upsides, that I don't even notice it.
If you are listening to material such as pop albums that end each track with silence or a fade-out at the end of a song, then gapless playback is irrelevant to your listening habits. However, classical pieces such as operas often break up each act of the opera into many tracks even though the music is continuous. Sometimes there are even multiple tracks within the movements of a symphony. With those kinds of material, as well as with live recordings of any music where applause continues uninterrupted into the next track, the several-second gaps are really annoying, and gapless playback is a blessing.
lanping09 and woof07 like this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #2621 of 2845 Old 12-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
If you are listening to material such as pop albums that end each track with silence or a fade-out at the end of a song, then gapless playback is irrelevant to your listening habits. However, classical pieces such as operas often break up each act of the opera into many tracks even though the music is continuous. Sometimes there are even multiple tracks within the movements of a symphony. With those kinds of material, as well as with live recordings of any music where applause continues uninterrupted into the next track, the several-second gaps are really annoying, and gapless playback is a blessing.
+1 To this. Even outside of classical and opera (which I do listen to a lot), try listening to something like Dark Side of the Moon without gapless.
post #2622 of 2845 Old 12-19-2014, 10:03 PM

I'm sure it has been mentioned once in the thread, but could someone repost the various best practices to do gapless? Maybe the OP could post it in the first post? Deposits placed on both a 105D and Synology 215j for pickup next week. Gapless is mission critical.

Last edited by wekya; 12-22-2014 at 04:20 AM.
post #2623 of 2845 Old 12-20-2014, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I'm sure it has been mentioned once in the thread, but could someone repost the various best parctices to do gapless? Maybe the OP could post it in the first post? Deposits placed on both a 105D and Synology 215j for pickup next week. Gapless is mission critical.
The Oppo does not support the SetNextAVTransportURI command, so it definitely cannot do gapless play in UPnP push (play to) mode.

But maybe it is better in pull mode ?? I did not test that..
post #2624 of 2845 Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Is there a way to connect to the Oppo un-tethered to use the Asynchronous USB DAC?

Anyone know if a device like this would work?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP2...y9kz9yoova5lwl

Last edited by fmzip; 12-20-2014 at 09:06 AM.
post #2625 of 2845 Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked: 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Is there a way to connect to the Oppo un-tethered to use the Asynchronous USB DAC?

Anyone know if a device like this would work?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP2...y9kz9yoova5lwl
There isn't really any reason to. The new Oppos models can access your files via DNLA or via SMB over a network. That device is just a wireless network AP, and would add un-needed complexity to a network capable player. All that's required is that your PC and Oppo are on the same network.
lanping09 likes this.
post #2626 of 2845 Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There isn't really any reason to. The new Oppos models can access your files via DNLA or via SMB over a network. That device is just a wireless network AP, and would add un-needed complexity to a network capable player. All that's required is that your PC and Oppo are on the same network.
There is a need to, hence the reason I ask!

I already do the above, I want to use my PC with Jriver (not Jremote or similar), it's that simple.

With Jriver, I want to "push" music to it. When I connect via USB, I can send Hi-Res files to it by using the Asynchronous USB DAC and have all the features of Jriver working, like EQ control, filters etc. The laptop has to be tethered to the Oppo to accomplish this. I want to be wireless and I want to use Jriver as my frontend, hence my post.

Last edited by fmzip; 12-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
post #2627 of 2845 Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Request assistance logging into my mac from the Oppo

When I attempt to access my mac from the BDP-103 under the 'network' area, it asks me to provide my user name and password. After I provide them, it puts up a 'login' button. When I select it, I get a message to the effect that my user name and/or password are invalid. I am typing in the user name at the login screen of my mac when I power up, and also the same password that is required to get to the desktop. I know I am typing them in correctly, but for some reason, it won't take. Under the 'sharing' section in system preferences, I have 'file sharing' selected.

Can anyone help me a bit?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
post #2628 of 2845 Old 12-21-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
There is a need to, hence the reason I ask!

I already do the above, I want to use my PC with Jriver (not Jremote or similar), it's that simple.

With Jriver, I want to "push" music to it. When I connect via USB, I can send Hi-Res files to it by using the Asynchronous USB DAC and have all the features of Jriver working, like EQ control, filters etc. The laptop has to be tethered to the Oppo to accomplish this. I want to be wireless and I want to use Jriver as my frontend, hence my post.
The box you mention seems to be USB to Ethernet, whereas I guess what you are looking would need to be USB to USB. I don't know if such a thing exists.
post #2629 of 2845 Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
When I attempt to access my mac from the BDP-103 under the 'network' area, it asks me to provide my user name and password. After I provide them, it puts up a 'login' button. When I select it, I get a message to the effect that my user name and/or password are invalid. I am typing in the user name at the login screen of my mac when I power up, and also the same password that is required to get to the desktop. I know I am typing them in correctly, but for some reason, it won't take. Under the 'sharing' section in system preferences, I have 'file sharing' selected.

Can anyone help me a bit?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
OPPO told me that their players are incompatible with Apple's SMB protocol, so you can't access your Mac that way. There is a workaround program that is mentioned in this tread IIRC.
lanping09 likes this.
post #2630 of 2845 Old 01-04-2015, 09:22 PM

Can the 105D play virtual .iso files mounted on a NAS, or is http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-1...external-media saying that this is no longer supported? PM's welcome for any workarounds please?

post #2631 of 2845 Old 01-05-2015, 04:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked: 4332
Quote:
Can the 105D play virtual .iso files mounted on a NAS, or is http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-1...external-media saying that this is no longer supported? PM's welcome for any workarounds please?
That no longer works, at the specific direction of the licensing authorities.

I don't know of a workaround for ISO files. (Apart from burning to BR media). You can use other container formats, but lose menus, etc.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #2632 of 2845 Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked: 2941
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That no longer works, at the specific direction of the licensing authorities.

I don't know of a workaround for ISO files. (Apart from burning to BR media). You can use other container formats, but lose menus, etc.

-Bill
Last time I tried it, a mounted ISO would still work *IF* it had been modified with the AVCHD flag, ala "BDMV Modifier".
post #2633 of 2845 Old 01-05-2015, 02:09 PM

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but this is how I access BluRay ISO content:
1. on the PC, mount the ISO and open it with explorer
2. Inside the ISO, go to BDMV/STREAM and locate the main feature (usually the biggest file in the list)
3. Copy to USB drive or stick or to your NAS and rename it to whatever you like
4. Play/stream to your OPPO

My OPPO 105 with latest firmware will not recognize or even see ISO files on any media (USB or NAS)
post #2634 of 2845 Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Quote:
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but this is how I access BluRay ISO content:
2. Inside the ISO, go to BDMV/STREAM and locate the main feature (usually the biggest file in the list)

My OPPO 105 with latest firmware will not recognize or even see ISO files on any media (USB or NAS)
Using MakeMKV to identify the stream you want might be a bit easier, plus it will put the stream in a container that the player will recognize.
post #2635 of 2845 Old 01-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Thanks Keenan, I'll have a look at that.
post #2636 of 2845 Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:

After mounting the BRD.iso file, you can also create an .mkv file using MKVmerge GUI (the current newest version is 7.5.0).

Navigate to the BDMV folder, open the PLAYLIST folder and drag and drop the the first xxxx.mpls stream into MKVmerge GUI. The application will offer to perform a 'scan for other playlist files'. When the scan is complete, find and select the .mpls file with the longest duration. A list containing the video and chapter streams will appear along with several audio and subtitle streams. Select the streams you require and the output file location. And select the 'Start Muxing' button... Job done!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #2637 of 2845 Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had the oppo a few days now and have just attached a WD Passport Ultra 2TB usb drive which contains cds I have been ripping via the DVD suite included with the drive. I am getting RIFF errors in the fields where album ,artist & genre info should appear at left of screen during usb playback.

Can you guys recommend an app where I can rip to HD (wav) with all the correct tags & artwork intact and ready to copy to usb HD?

Thx

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
post #2638 of 2845 Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post
I have had the oppo a few days now and have just attached a WD Passport Ultra 2TB usb drive which contains cds I have been ripping via the DVD suite included with the drive. I am getting RIFF errors in the fields where album ,artist & genre info should appear at left of screen during usb playback.

Can you guys recommend an app where I can rip to HD (wav) with all the correct tags & artwork intact and ready to copy to usb HD?

Thx
WAV does not support tagging. FLAC - lossless compression for WAV - does support tagging, and can be easily tagged using Mp3Tag which is freeware. Many programs can rip CDs to FLAC, which is open-source. I use Winamp, but others swear by Exact Audio Copy.

Winamp can no longer automatically look up CDs and supply the tags while ripping - when AOL orphaned it, it lost access to the online CDDB service - but while Winamp's new owners negotiate a new online deal for tagging, Mp3Tag does a very good job for me. It can not only edit tags, it can bulk re-title the tracks' filenames to match the tracks' titles prefixed with the track number - with or without leading zeros (your choice). I always use leading zeros if there are ten or more tracks. Doing this insures that the tracks play in the right order through the Oppo, since - like Explorer - it sorts filenames alphabetically, treating numbers as letters, with "10" coming alphabetically before "2" but after "02."

Mp3Tag can also search online for album cover thumbnails to add to the track tags.
mhobart likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 01-06-2015 at 12:23 PM.
post #2639 of 2845 Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
WAV does not support tagging.
Hmm. Your statement is not strictly true. Actually the WAV RIFF specification (and also the AIFF specification) does legally allow additional "boxes" to be defined and included in the file format. And one such "box" that is commonly used is an ID3v2 tag box. The problem is that many manufacturers listen to (misleading) statements like yours "WAV does not support tagging" and therefore do not expect to see such "boxes" in the WAV file, and therefore their products fall over when such a box is actually encountered; even when such a box is legally allowed...
post #2640 of 2845 Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post
Hmm. Your statement is not strictly true. Actually the WAV RIFF specification (and also the AIFF specification) does legally allow additional "boxes" to be defined and included in the file format. And one such "box" that is commonly used is an ID3v2 tag box. The problem is that many manufacturers listen to (misleading) statements like yours "WAV does not support tagging" and therefore do not expect to see such "boxes" in the WAV file, and therefore their products fall over when such a box is actually encountered; even when such a box is legally allowed...
News to me. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that tagging is possible with WAV files, while I have heard the opposite many times.

If what you are saying is more than a theoretical possibility, or an innovation you've come up with on your own:

1) What publicly-available PC or Mac software can be used to apply tags to WAV files?

2) What publicly-available PC or Mac software displays such tags while playing WAV files?

Most importantly, given the forum we're discussing this in:

3) What will an Oppo do when asked to play files tagged in this manner?

UPDATE:
A quick google search showed me that there are a few programs, like Audacity, dbpoweramp, and AudioShell, that can tag WAV files, but my last question remains unanswered.

Since you appear to have experience with such files, please tell us what happened when you tried to network - via DLNA or UPnP - such files with your Oppo. I know that my BDP-93 will decode HDCDs when given them as an optical disk, but will treat them as ordinary CDs if streamed via DLNA/UPnP.

Last edited by Philnick; 01-07-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page