AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1215071-oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread.html)

dizziness 01-09-2010 07:43 AM

UPDATE 2/17/2011: I've not been watching the thread. If you want to update the first post, let me know via PM.

Over at https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287 folks are getting fatigued and inundated with questions and posts regarding the recently added DLNA/UPnP functionality.

Post your questions and comments here and hopefully someone will have the answer.

FAQ:
*Can this player stream digital media from network sources?
Yes, as of official firmware released January 5th, 2010. This feature is currently experimental This feature can be accessed from the "My Network" icon in the "Home Menu" screen. It requires a DLNA-capable media server running on your computer. The supported media types are the common set of what the player can decode and what the media server can stream.

*What formats are supported?
Different formats are available for media streaming than playback from USB devices. They currently are:

  • jpg
  • mkv
  • mp3
  • mpg
  • png
  • vob

*Media Server configuration
Most media servers will serve up video which is supported by Oppo's DLNA implementation. Other formats require transcoding.

TVersity can be configured to stream compatible formats and transcoding unsupported video to MPEG video/MP3 audio.


  • Install TVersity and the supplied codec pack.
  • Add this code to the end of "profiles.xml" found in "C:\\Program Files\\TVersity\\Media Server":
    (It's very possible that the profile id may vary from machine to machine. Needs verification.)
    Code:
      
            Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
                    Oppo Digital Inc
                    BDP-83
    
            
    
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
            
                    
                
                            
                            
                            
                            
                            
                            
                            
                            
                        
                             
                                    
                                    
                                    
                                    
                
                        
                            
                            
                            
                            
    
                                                   
                            
                            
                            
            
                        
                        
                    
            
    
  • Then restart the server.


Twonkymedia Server can be configured to stream compatible formats and transcode unsupported video. The transcoding documentation is poor. Many have reported issues getting it to work.

  • Edit the clients.db file in C:\\Program Files\\TwonkyMedia\
    esources\\ and insert the following text before the final ">>":
    (for Mac "Show Package Contents" of TwonyMediaServer.app to find this folder)
    Code:
    >>
    NA:Oppo Digital BDP-83 BluRay player
    HH:BDP-83
    TR:JPEG_HD,LPCM,MP3,VOB,WMV,MPG,PNG
    DB:FIX
    
  • You will need to edit the *.location files in the /cgi-bin directory to match the paths of the binary files (i.e. "C:\\Program Files\\ffmpeg"). Notice: No trailing slash is necessary.
  • The included *.desc files will provide basic transcoding. Additional may be needed.
  • You may also need to add some MIME descriptions to the "transcoding.db" file in the same directory.
    Code:
    # additional for BDP-83
    MKV,mkv,video/x-matroska
    MKV,mkv,video/mkv
    VOB,vob,video/dvd
    AVI,avi,video/x-msvideo
    DIVX,divx,video/divx
    AAC,m4a,audio/x-aac
    FLAC,flac,audio/x-flac
    OGG,ogg,application/ogg
    MKA,mka,audio/x-matroska
    


Asset from Illustrate (makers of DBPowerAmp) make a transcoding audio server that will serve and transcode to LPCM, even 24-bit FLAC and Apple Lossless. While the Oppo does not display bitrate via UPnP, Asset is sending at the appropriate rate without transcoding. 5.1 FLAC does not play correctly. Another user posted his experience here: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2829

Foobar2000 have UPnP component add-on for their popular music player/library. Foobar will stream 96/24 LPCM for files with 2.0, 4.0, 5.0 channel.
See This Post for more details.


PS3 Media Server version 1.20 (currently SVN) will have player profile capability. There is a compiled Mac beta here: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=7&t=1635. Once you compile the SVN, drop into the java/renderers path (Mac build: "/Applications/PS3\\ Media\\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/renderers/") a new file for the oppo, e.g. OppoBDP83.conf. Save as a text with the following code:



Code:
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Oppo BDP-83 
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Oppo BDP-83
RendererIcon=pch.png
UserAgentSearch=BDP-83
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
TranscodeExtensions=hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,m4a,mov,mp4,iso,avi
StreamExtensions=mkv,jpg,mp3,mpg,pcm,png,vob

From there, You will be able to stream MKV and transcoding AVI. User kwolfman had success streaming ISOs as well. See his post: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=116.

Nearly any other UPnP/DLNA server will work (e.g. PlayOn, Playback, etc.) but will only be able to stream files natively playable via UPnP on the Oppo.


tubefreq 01-09-2010 10:57 AM

Just thought I'd add that I got PS3 Media Server to work with the Oppo. Unfortunately my desktop PC (old 3.0 GHz Northwood P4) isn't fast enough to handle transcoding HD. I plan on building a new PC in the near future though.

dizziness 01-09-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubefreq View Post

Just thought I'd add that I got PS3 Media Server to work with the Oppo. Unfortunately my desktop PC (old 3.0 GHz Northwood P4) isn't fast enough to handle transcoding HD. I plan on building a new PC in the near future though.

I'd like to hear how you configured it to recognize the Oppo. I tried on this end with a Mac but no success.

Mallee 01-09-2010 03:37 PM

Does the Oppo upscale the DLNA files through its Anchor Bay chip?

wmcclain 01-09-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallee View Post

Does the Oppo upscale the DLNA files through its Anchor Bay chip?

Yes. Everything output through HDMI is treated the same.

-Bill

tubefreq 01-09-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post

I'd like to hear how you configured it to recognize the Oppo. I tried on this end with a Mac but no success.

I didn't really have to do anything to get the Oppo to see the server. You may have to restart one or or the other to get it to work. My desktop is a PC so I don't know what settings the Mac may require. I have a MBP, but all of my media files are on the PC so I haven't tried it in OS X.

Steve Goff 01-09-2010 06:22 PM

A newby question: if I set up Asset to do DNLA duties and transcode audio formats to LPCM, should I disable DNLA in WMP? In other words, should only one DNLA server be in use at a time?

tubefreq 01-09-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

A newby question: if I set up Asset to do DNLA duties and transcode audio formats to LPCM, should I disable DNLA in WMP? In other words, should only one DNLA server be in use at a time?

I haven't tried running multiple servers at the same time, but looking at the network menu (on the Oppo), it seems that you would just select which server you want to stream from on the Oppo. I would assume that WMP would remain dormant while Asset is streaming. Have you tried it yet?

vinnie97 01-09-2010 06:56 PM

Is Tversity unable to transcode the likes of FLAC to LPCM?

gonk 01-09-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

A newby question: if I set up Asset to do DNLA duties and transcode audio formats to LPCM, should I disable DNLA in WMP? In other words, should only one DNLA server be in use at a time?

I've run multiple DNLA servers - it's not a problem. You just need to pick which server you want to use when you select "Network" on the Home Menu.

Steve Goff 01-09-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

I've run multiple DNLA servers - it's not a problem. You just need to pick which server you want to use when you select "Network" on the Home Menu.

Thanks, I'll try it.

vinnie97 01-09-2010 08:41 PM

OK, so it looks like the above *does* convert to PCM...at least, that is the icon I get on the screen when accessing FLAC files.

Makaveli Tha Don 01-09-2010 08:56 PM

So you can't stream .avi movies over upnp and watch them?

Steve Goff 01-09-2010 08:58 PM

Asset was very easy to set up and works well, transcoding all of my audio files on the fly to PCM. I do get some audio breaks from time to time, sometimes I select one track and the next track plays, and sometimes it starts a track over. I'd like to know how to iron out these kinks, since otherwise this is exactly what I was looking for, a seemingly bit-perfect way to play audio files over a network.

Styln 01-09-2010 10:20 PM

Just got my setup working this AM. First thing I did was research. Found this site to be very helpful:

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-...-os-x-or-linux

While it appears to be dated due to the published date, the links I tried were all current.

Will also add that I ended up using AssetUPNP because it's tailored towards audio, which is my main interest. Took 10 minutes from download to playing a file on the Oppo.

Styln

Sam2000 01-09-2010 11:30 PM

Thanks Dizziness, great post. I'm streaming most formats nicely with TVersity & your full profile.xml. I assume this slightly different version of the Oppo profile section superceeds your previously posted version (below) & accomodates the Jan 5th firmware release?



Are you still recommending the K-Lite Mega Codec pack as well? Wondering if it will help eliminate the pixelation I see with some 1080p AVC content in MKV containers? Some play nicely over my 100MB LAN & others don't. I know this can be complicated (codecs/bit rates/etc.), but I'd be interested if you have experienced the same & found a solution using TVersity & the BDP-83.

TIA,
Sam2000

Styln 01-09-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2000 View Post

Thanks Dizziness, great post. I'm streaming most formats nicely with TVersity & your full profile.xml. I assume this slightly different version of the Oppo profile section superceeds your previously posted version (below) & accomodates the Jan 5th firmware release?



Are you still recommending the K-Lite Mega Codec pack as well? Wondering if it will help eliminate the pixelation I see with some 1080p AVC content in MKV containers? Some play nicely over my 100MB LAN & others don't. I know this can be complicated (codecs/bit rates/etc.), but I'd be interested if you have experienced the same & found a solution using TVersity & the BDP-83.

TIA,
Sam2000

I've used the K-Lite Mega Codec pack on many a computer over the years and it has always worked as expected. No experience with TVersity though.

Krobar 01-10-2010 05:45 AM

Anyone else having trouble with full rate DVD/BD MKV files? They hardlock my player 30seconds to 5mins in (Always the same lock time for a particular file).

Also, if you dont need transcoding then Serviio is a nice light weight and free DLNA server option.

wmcclain 01-10-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Also, if you dont need transcoding then Serviio is a nice light weight and free DLNA server option.

Are you using this with the BDP-83? I'm keeping a server list in the FAQ.

-Bill

Krobar 01-10-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you using this with the BDP-83? I'm keeping a server list in the FAQ.

-Bill

Yes, it works fine. The problems with full rate BD/DVD MKVs are exactly the same when using Twonky so I dont think it is the DNLA server software that is causing the problem.

Further info on the problems with MKVs, there seem to be two issues:

Lockups - This happens with all DVD and BD rips I have made. Interestingly I managed to use MakeMKV with a music HDDVD and it works perfectly, the only rip I have made that does (Most HDDVD wont rip with MakeMKV due to limited support). The whole player and interface locks up, I have to hold the power button down for 3-5 seconds to get it to switch off.

Slowdown - This seems to happen when the Bit rates exceed about 35Mbit/sec.

Styln 01-10-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you using this with the BDP-83? I'm keeping a server list in the FAQ.

-Bill

Since you're keeping a list I'll mention that I originally tried to make Fuppes work on Ubuntu 8.10. I was able to get the two devices communicating and the Oppo was displaying folders and content. However, as soon as I accessed a file of any type I got a segment fault in Fuppes. I did some investigation, made some dynamic library changes, reinstall, etc, but no luck. Didn't find this to be a common problem, so it's was probably something I did wrong in the build/installation process.

Bottom line is it's not supported by the package manager so it's only appropriate for very experienced linux users.

Styln

wmcclain 01-10-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Since you're keeping a list I'll mention that I originally tried to make Fuppes work on Ubuntu 8.10. I was able to get the two devices communicating and the Oppo was displaying folders and content. However, as soon as I accessed a file of any type I got a segment fault in Fuppes. I did some investigation, made some dynamic library changes, reinstall, etc, but no luck. Didn't find this to be a common problem, so it's was probably something I did wrong in the build/installation process.

Bottom line is it's not supported by the package manager so it's only appropriate for very experienced linux users.

Styln

My notes on fuppes just say "works" but there must have been a problem or I'd be using it.

Twonky (paid) is the only good solution I've found for Linux, and I haven't gotten around to transcoding yet. I'll try Serviio this week.

Googling around, it seems like everyone and his dog has been making demo DLNA servers.

-Bill

godinste 01-10-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you using this with the BDP-83? I'm keeping a server list in the FAQ.

-Bill

I tried Serviio with my BDP-83, and I can stream DVD, MKV, Music and Pictures, but no AVI. It's not too bad compare to the other software and it's free......

dizziness 01-10-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you using this with the BDP-83? I'm keeping a server list in the FAQ.

-Bill

Thanks for keeping this stuff in the FAQ. That's probably the best option.

FYI: I have transcoding working with Mediatomb. Its not elegant but for Linux/Mac users should work well.

Did you figure out what 24-bit LPCM settings we should use in FFMpeg to stream properly? I wonder if the Asset developer could give us some clue.

dizziness 01-10-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2000 View Post

Are you still recommending the K-Lite Mega Codec pack as well? Wondering if it will help eliminate the pixelation I see with some 1080p AVC content in MKV containers? Some play nicely over my 100MB LAN & others don't. I know this can be complicated (codecs/bit rates/etc.), but I'd be interested if you have experienced the same & found a solution using TVersity & the BDP-83.

You can also try the CCCP codec pack. I didn't have any pixelated problems with K-Lite but those were mostly 720p sources. I've since moved on to Mediatomb 0.11 for Mac for a transcoding server paired up with Asset for audio serving needs.

wmcclain 01-10-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godinste View Post

I tried Serviio with my BDP-83, and I can stream DVD, MKV, Music and Pictures, but no AVI. It's not too bad compare to the other software and it's free......

I've not yet heard of any server providing .avi or .divx files to the OPPO. Could be a current decoder restriction specific to DLNA, as these types are available on local storage.

-Bill

wmcclain 01-10-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post

Did you figure out what 24-bit LPCM settings we should use in FFMpeg to stream properly? I wonder if the Asset developer could give us some clue.

I only got as far as trying to create .pcm files on local storage, figuring some subset of those types might be available for streaming.

No go on .pcm files; the player browser shows them with the PCM icon but will not play them.

But I was able to get a couple of pcm types into .mkv containers that will play. ffmpeg calls them:
  • s16le
  • u8

-Bill

Steve Goff 01-10-2010 02:00 PM

Has anyone tried one of the iPhone/Touch apps for controlling Asset or another UPnP source? I'm looking into Songbook and PlugPlayer, but have not yet tried either.

grubavs 01-10-2010 02:11 PM

I'm really interested in getting my BD-rips through my Oppo BDP-83, but am hopelessly incompetent technologically. I have read the Oppo FAQs (thanks Bill!), but cannot be sure if I'm going in the correct direction. So hopefully, it's not too below the thread level to ask the following:

-Those who say they are using a specific server (e.g., TwonkyMedia), are you using a IBM-type PC or Mac as the box, or did you just buy a NAS box and add your server software? I have 3 Intel Macs but would prefer not to take them out of their current use to make them media-server only. Could I partition the HD and run one partition as the server and the other as is currently, or would I need another Mac/PC?

-My Mac mini (2.66GHz Core 2 Duo/4GB RAM) is currently connected to my HT (via HDMI) and used (via Plex, DVD Player, and VLC) to play my DVD and BD rips which are stored on my Mac Pro (4x1TB HDs) in another room. Should I just turn the mini into a server (say, TwonkyMedia)? Would I then loose the ability to us the mini desktop to use Safari and/or Firefox for web use on my TV??

Thanks.

wmcclain 01-10-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I'm really interested in getting my BD-rips through my Oppo BDP-83, but am hopelessly incompetent technologically. I have read the Oppo FAQs (thanks Bill!), but cannot be sure if I'm going in the correct direction. So hopefully, it's not too below the thread level to ask the following:

-Those who say they are using a specific server (e.g., TwonkyMedia), are you using a IBM-type PC or Mac as the box, or did you just buy a NAS box and add your server software? I have 3 Intel Macs but would prefer not to take them out of their current use to make them media-server only. Could I partition the HD and run one partition as the server and the other as is currently, or would I need another Mac/PC?

-My Mac mini (2.66GHz Core 2 Duo/4GB RAM) is currently connected to my HT (via HDMI) and used (via Plex, DVD Player, and VLC) to play my DVD and BD rips which are stored on my Mac Pro (4x1TB HDs) in another room. Should I just turn the mini into a server (say, TwonkyMedia)? Would I then loose the ability to us the mini desktop to use Safari and/or Firefox for web use on my TV??

Thanks.

We're using "server" pretty loosely here. (Although accurately, I think).

You run a DLNA program on any of your networked machines and it is now a DLNA server. You can continue to use it for other tasks at the same time. Serving the files themselves is not that resource intensive, although if you get into transcoding I suppose it could take up quite a bit of cpu.

I've tested multiple DLNA servers simultaneously on one machine; no problems (although I wasn't hammering it).

-Bill


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.