Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 792 Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 26
And actually Windows 7 is doing all that I need, but there are some inconveniences (having to change file names from mkv to avi, having to reboot pc, having to open the many layers of directories and folders on the AllShare). Those were the main reasons
I was thinking of Mezzmo, but since I saw tvmobili here and they prmote that they work with AllShare, and they were free, I was hoping some folks might want to compare the 2 and share their observations.

BTW, would Tvmobili eliminate the inconveniences I mentioned above? Do you know if it uses alot of your PCs resources?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 792 Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Personally spent too much time on different servers (PCSM, TVersity, Serviio, JR Rivers, Mezzmo - proably missed a few)...... for now Mezzmo meets my needs and just works. So no reason for me to look at another server. My issues now are more on the Samsung interface in the BR Players - they are what they are and can't see them change in older models.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
post #543 of 792 Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by btk467 View Post

Probably, It was me. I have not compared two cuz tvmobily works for me for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Someone on a BR player thread mentioned software called tvmobili here. I know alot of folks here love their Mezzmo. tvmobili is free. Has anyone tried both and compared the two? Pros? Cons?

Can't comment on tvmobili... but Mezzmo's strengths as I see them include i) speed in refreshing content lists ii) transcoding capability, iii) dynamic playlists and iv) tech/customer support. And the price is ~ $20 if you try it free they'll send you an email with a 20 and then 30% off offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 792 Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM

I loaded Samsung PC Share Manager. I put a few .MKV files in a folder on my external hard drive. When I try to share the folder on PC Share manager I get the message " Can only share folder items". Is this because I'm trying to share from my external hard? Or have a missed a step somewhere?
Thanks
post #545 of 792 Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Never mind, finally got it to work. Sweet!
post #546 of 792 Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM

HELP, I am a newbie here. I have just purchased a new TV, Samsung UN55C8000 55-Inch TV, and I have an older (1-2 yr) model Samsung BD player and a 4-5 year old Audio /switcher unit. I can watch cable and dvd's fine - picture fantastic, sound great, etc. I am using both the TV and the BD player plugged into my LAN at home, The old AV player doesnt have a LAN connection. MY problem (ignorance) is that when I load SERVIIO on my TV, it works, the service runs on my win 7 computer - i can see all the movies on the TV and Play them -- I JUST CAN'T HEAR THEM -- no audio. what have I not hooked up right? just have a DVI cable from HDMI 2 on Tv to DVI on AV unit
and BD DVI cable to 2 DVI input on AV unit, and Cable box to the First DVI input. simple 3 DVI cables, 2 ethernet cables. anyone help with the audio part???
post #547 of 792 Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
DVI only carries video - you need to connect audio. Best is to use HDMI which carries both audio and video. If you don't have HDMI on both then get a optical cable for audio.

I'd be surprised if both didn't have HDMI thou.

Use Monoprice for cables...... don't go to Best Buy or other B&M store.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
post #548 of 792 Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 15
True that DVI doesn't carry audio, but if everything was hooked up the way he said (and nothing else) then he wouldn't have audio for cable or dvds (which I assume he's playing in bdplayer) either.

So he either means HDMI but said DVI, or perhaps he's using HDMI for BD & Cable to AVR but actually using DVI from TV to AVR.

Assuming he's actually using HDMI (not DVI). then something is not working as it should. If it were me, I'd first check to make sure it wasn't a servio problem, If the TV itself can play files thru USB, I'd put one of the files on usb flash stick or drive and then make sure sound is good that way. If not, figure out why - is it something with file, does tv not support that audio format, is wrong cable used, etc. I've heard some TVs only put out stereo on HDMI when passing audio from external source... dunno if network counts as external source tho, but even if that was the case you'd still get stereo sound.... so yeah if sound when playing straight on tv, then I'd try another DLNA server software on the pc... even samsungs software as a test, since it's free...

Also, does the BD player support DLNA also? If so, that might be an alternative, since it's on the network and sound is working from it.

Samsung F8500 | Tivo Roamio OTA | Yamaha RX-A1040 | Oppo BDP-103
post #549 of 792 Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Do Yahoo Widgets belong in this thread?

Because Amazon Instant Video is now one of them, and if you have Amazon Prime, there's a couple thousand free videos and movies available. Install the widget, get the code, go to the link above, and register your Samsung TV. There's also pay per view if these don't cover your interests. It supports HD, not sure which resolution yet, and 5.1 stereo. Not a lot of the content is available in HD. Watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie now over wireless N, and the image is very good.
post #550 of 792 Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 AM

PCSM is awful software. I'll try the other recommended media servers when I can. First glitch:

Can't share external USB hard drive. After combing the forms and reading others ranting about the same thing, I found a solution. Using XP, I downloaded a resource program from Microsoft for Windows Server 2003 which had a program 'linkd' which created a hard link to a folder on the external drive. Is PCSM supposed to be a consumer product?

Next glitch:

I have the maximum 1GB memory on my laptop. 1GB is enough to surf the web, run iTunes, or any other program I've found. However, when I started PCSM indexing my video folders (mp3 folders didn't have this issue) the memory usage as graphed by the Task Manager ramped up to 2.7GB in a few minutes. WTF! When it finished with one folder, I rebooted and it served the folder ok to the Blu-ray player. PCSM grabs all available memory only when indexing files not serving them, but I have to reboot for every video folder I index!
post #551 of 792 Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM

They won't let me post links so here goes...

go to samsung.com... then... us... then... support... then... downloads... then... BD-C5500... then... XAA You'll find it there.
post #552 of 792 Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Do Yahoo Widgets belong in this thread?

Because Amazon Instant Video is now one of them, and if you have Amazon Prime, there's a couple thousand free videos and movies available. Install the widget, get the code, go to the link above, and register your Samsung TV. There's also pay per view if these don't cover your interests. It supports HD, not sure which resolution yet, and 5.1 stereo. Not a lot of the content is available in HD. Watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie now over wireless N, and the image is very good.

What device do you have with the widget? It hasn't shown up on my BD-C5500 Blu-ray.
post #553 of 792 Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM

To use another source or hard drive you have to use the simple little fix below.

Samsung share manager program

Go to default program directorry
ie mine
C:\\Program Files\\Samsung\\SAMSUNG PC Share Manager
Find
configinfo file, open it with notepad
add the external HDD files directory under Shared Folder List
Closed all. Now you can see your external files on external HDD now

ie. mine whrere j is my external HDD directory
[Shared Folder List]
D:\\movies
D:\\muzik
J:\\HD720
J:\\3D

Then update database

Hope this helps
post #554 of 792 Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM

I have a bdc6800 that I'm trying to use to stream playon.I've got pc manager installed and it shows up on the tv screen along with playon.The problem I have is that when I try to use stream anything it says media not supported.The playon program works great on a sony streaming box.Is there something I'm missing on the samsung that I haven't set up?
post #555 of 792 Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had PS3 Media Server running on my main PC sharing to the PS3 in the theater room when I installed my Samsung C6400 upstairs.
As soons as it appeared on the network, PS3MS saw the TV as an "Unknown renderer" and the TV recognised PS3MS it as a media source under the Player menu. It failed to work at first (the TV returned an "unsupported format" error), so I edit some lines in the "Samsung.conf file (located in the PS3MS rendered folder) to read as:

RendererName=Samsung Wiselink
MimeTypesChanges=audio/wav=audio/L16|video/x-matroska=video/avi
StreamExtensions=mp3,mp4,avi,mkv

Bingo - the server stopped trying to trancode MKV files, and everything became happy. I can now browse any Movies or picture files shared by PS3Ms, and they play flawlessly.
All without touching the Samsung software or WMP.
post #556 of 792 Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 AM

hi all...

Now this thread is not really all that clear to me to be honest...
So, lets start with... i will have my samsung UE55D8000 soon yay - which was the easy part

The TV will have a LAN connection, a build in wireless network DLNA support and Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). WIFI ..
Not to sure about any other ways then HDMI itself to connect it too...

So here is my question...

Is it possible to stream VIDEO to the TV from my PC through LAN; without the need of a HDMI/DVI cable?
Is this where software like messmo comes in?

Required playback formats are HD content: .MKV .WMV .MPG in combination with .SRT (subtitles)

Thanks!
post #557 of 792 Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM

If the tv has allshare and a dlna enabled lan port then all you need is pc share manger from samsungs site.

All that is connected on my tv is an RF lead for normal tv and an ethernet for streaming from my pc via pc share...this also does music and photos.

Remember when/if you install pc share manager to enable the devices and refresh the content in the program.......easier DONE than said honest

I have no problems playing and file format upto now

Skiprat
post #558 of 792 Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 AM

awesome!
Thank you for your reply!

so, thats including .MKV with the separate .SRT files, right?
I ask this because I have tried to do some more googling on the supported media types by Allshare, and couldnt find saying it supporting it anywhere...
post #559 of 792 Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Yes, if your TV supports MKVs and srt subtitles then it will work. srt has to have the same file name as the mkv.

It is not whether Allshare supports the files, it is your TV (or other device).

For example: my TV doesn't support wma music. The music files show up, but cannot be played.
post #560 of 792 Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there any way to wirelessly stream video from a Droid to a Samsung c8000? My research shows that both are DLNA compliant, but I wonder if Samsung has done some crippling to require that we use only their smart phones.

Has anyone sent video from their Droid to their Samsung panels? Can it work much the same way as sending from my Windows media player to the TV, where the panel shows a message asking permission for a device that wants to connect?
post #561 of 792 Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 PM

Has any1 had access w/ the new D Series and PCSM? The TV can recognize on the W7 PC using WMP, but PCSM wont be recognized at all. Tried on a different PC too, but to no avail.
post #562 of 792 Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW312 View Post
Has any1 had access w/ the new D Series and PCSM? The TV can recognize on the W7 PC using WMP, but PCSM wont be recognized at all. Tried on a different PC too, but to no avail.
I'm wondering if you even need PCSM. On my c8000 I just use W7 with WMP.
post #563 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Yeah, i could use the inbuild DLNA Server from the WHS, i was just curious
post #564 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm wondering if you even need PCSM. On my c8000 I just use W7 with WMP.

Quote:

Yeah, i could use the inbuild DLNA Server from the WHS, i was just curious

Hey, will you please do me a favor? See if your D series can play a .mkv file as a stream from your Win 7 server. Ideally, try it with a 720p 1080 file. On my C series I have to change the file extension to .avi first (then reboot). I just wonder if the D is better, or if they added any more codecs.

Thanks!
post #565 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM

Sure, just tried it. File is 720p (1280x720 res). It plays w/o problems.
post #566 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sure, just tried it. File is 720p (1280x720 res). It plays w/o problems.

Interesting. And you didn't have to change the file name or anything? So there's an improvement to the D series! At least compared to with my c8000 setup.

When you place a new .mkv onto your computer (server), does your d8000 see it right away? or do you have to reboot? With my c8000 I have to reboot the pc before I can see the new files in media share on the TV, but I think that's an issue with Win-7 WMP.
post #567 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM

No, i didnt change anything. Just put the File in a Folder for WMP and thats it. Just tried it again to doublecheck. I can see the movie right when i put it up for sharing.

Ive to add tho, that when i first switch on the TV, i have to wait a few minutes, to get to see the server.
post #568 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No, i didnt change anything. Just put the File in a Folder for WMP and thats it. Just tried it again to doublecheck. I can see the movie right when i put it up for sharing.

Ive to add tho, that when i first switch on the TV, i have to wait a few minutes, to get to see the server.

Thanks for testing! I believe you may've discovered some real improvements in the D series. Of course my logic assumes my Win7 Media Server is working as well as yours is.
post #569 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Is there any way to wirelessly stream video from a Droid to a Samsung c8000? My research shows that both are DLNA compliant, but I wonder if Samsung has done some crippling to require that we use only their smart phones.

Has anyone sent video from their Droid to their Samsung panels? Can it work much the same way as sending from my Windows media player to the TV, where the panel shows a message asking permission for a device that wants to connect?

Have you figured out a way to do this or does anyone know if any of the many dlna/upnp Android apps work with the dlna Samsung bluray players?
post #570 of 792 Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Have you figured out a way to do this or does anyone know if any of the many dlna/upnp Android apps work with the dlna Samsung bluray players?

Yes! Well I've only tried it on my c8000 panel, not the blu-ray player. I think the free droid app we found is called iMedia Share. Only tested it briefly. I'm not sure its entirely stable, but pretty cool! Some video file formats won't offer audio. Give it a shot. Let us know if it worked for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page