New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #7471 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Glad to hear you got it working.

Who did you get the Dune from? It may be worth at least complaining/contacting the reseller about the removal of multi channel decoding/output from HD Audio

I got it from http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/store/. I will send them an email and ask if it is possible to change the FW

I just sent them an email regarding this issues. I got bummed out when I saw _update1 on the firmware name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

I used two 4-drive enclosures and a hub. I'm pretty sure you could use multiple single drives and a hub, but the 4-drive enclosures are a better solution than a bunch of single enclosures, IMHO.

I use the mediasonic enclosures and really like them. They can change between eSata and USB interface with a simple button push. That works out great for me. I have two of them hooked up simultaneously to my Dune and my HTPC. For transferring movies and running FlexRaid, I switch them to eSata and use the HTPC. That allows me to use Gigabit network speeds and quick snapshot raid updates. All other times I run them USB so they have a local connection to the Dune. That eliminates any network playback issues and movies load much faster than over the network. ( I know lots of people have no network playback issues, but lots of people do. Including me. USB connections are quick, easy and give perfect Bluray playback.) One quick button press to change modes and you have the best of both worlds!

I have been using the mediasonic 4 bay enclosure via usb directly to my D1.
Great solution. glad i found the recommendation from other users here. works flawless and in sync with dune power on/off.
My problem: I just added a second enclosure, when i power down the dune all powers off as expected, however when i power up the dune hangs and will not complete boot up. I have to power down or disconnect the usb cable form one or the other enclosure for the dune to complete boot up. If i leave one powered off and the other in sync, then turn it on after the dune boots up all is well also. Individually they operate as intended so i am inclined to think the problem is in the D1. Any body else have a similar situation? Is this a known issue with external usb storage devices?
post #7473 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
gdc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Of course it played HD audio, but did it DECODE HD Audio? That is the rub, nobody is saying that the Dune's won't bitstream lossless audio, we are trying to figure out why the newer firmwares won't decode HD Audio.

On the Dune site, in the firmware section it says this about the Smart B1/D1/H1 110511_2007_beta:

* Added new audio output configuration possibilites.
- The setting "Setup / Audio / Audio decoding mode" allows to specify
the number of channels (stereo, 5.1, 7.1), which should be output to
analog audio outputs and HDMI output.
- NOTE: This setting influences only audio codecs for which
multichannel audio decoding is allowed according to license
restrictions, such as PCM or FLAC. License-restricted audio codecs
such as DTS and Dolby can only be decoded in stereo mode.

For some reason this didn't make it into official firmware until 110606_1315_update1. So 110606_1315 still decodes licensed HD Audio (TrueHD and MA).

At some point - late last year, or early this year - the website description for the Smart line changed to PCM decode to stereo for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA.

1. This only appears to affect the Smart line, not the Max
2. This only affects PCM decoding, not bitstreaming
3. This only applies to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA.

I think obie_fl had the most plausible explanation - Dune launched the Smart line assuming they had licenses to DECODE, then found out they didn't. (As someone mentioned earlier, there are TWO licenses available - one to PASS-THROUGH, and one to DECODE.)

Rather than retroactively purchasing licenses and making all of us Smart owners whole, they chose to disable functionality in firmware and revise the description on the website (so no one could claim it didn't work as sold).

It's always easier to CYA than do the right thing.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7474 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am awaiting for my Dune D1 to arrive. I'm going to passthrough to my receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-37.) Firmware wise - does it matter which version firmware I use in my case? Just starting to read up on the Dune now.

Sony 65" A1E, Sony 49X900E, Epson 6030UB,
Klipsch Chorus II Fronts and Center channel, Definitive Technology BPVX/P X4
Oppo 203
112" Dalite Projector screen
post #7475 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
gdc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

I am awaiting for my Dune D1 to arrive. I'm going to passthrough to my receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-37.) Firmware wise - does it matter which version firmware I use in my case? Just starting to read up on the Dune now.

Looking at the post right above yours:

It only affects PCM decoding, not bitstreaming.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #7476 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post

Looking at the post right above yours:

It only affects PCM decoding, not bitstreaming.

Thank you. i was a few pages back on my reading and just caught up to the end.

Sony 65" A1E, Sony 49X900E, Epson 6030UB,
Klipsch Chorus II Fronts and Center channel, Definitive Technology BPVX/P X4
Oppo 203
112" Dalite Projector screen
post #7477 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am thinking of switching over from 2Tb drives to 3-4Tb drives, does the Dunes play nice with them internally and anything to look at in the drives--would go 5400rpm drives.
I have a Dune base 3.0 and would like to know your thoughts.
thanks

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #7478 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post

Thank you. i was a few pages back on my reading and just caught up to the end.

Your good that's the receiver I have and it plays real nice with it!
post #7479 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

I am thinking of switching over from 2Tb drives to 3-4Tb drives, does the Dunes play nice with them internally and anything to look at in the drives--would go 5400rpm drives.
thanks

I use 2 3tb drive in my Duo and they work just fine!
post #7480 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM

I can confirm with the newest beta I have a harmony link that turns on the sone HX929 my SC37 and my direct tv hddvr. Upon switching these units on it turns the Dune Duo from standby to off! The sc37 does not have a discrete on/off code so it's a toggle. Everything else is discrete!
post #7481 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

I use 2 3tb drive in my Duo and they work just fine!

Thanks much appreciated.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #7482 of 11839 Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks much appreciated.

For you anytime!
post #7483 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

thanks

I believe over 2TB on USB can still have issues with some file types (isos, iirc). SATA seems to work okay. Be sure you use a recent firmware to format.
post #7484 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those interested in the Dune decoding LPCM bug in recent firmwares, Graham over at AV UK Forums (a dune reseller) has quoted: " I have had confirmation from the European Sales Director that this is a known bug in the current betas and will be address in the proper release - its not a licensing issue as people on mpc club are suggesting. I'm afraid I don't know (yet) when the official release will be out. As soon as I find further info, I'll post on here"

Link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/16512214-post116.html
post #7485 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspr View Post

For those interested in the Dune decoding LPCM bug in recent firmwares, Graham over at AV UK Forums (a dune reseller) has quoted: " I have had confirmation from the European Sales Director that this is a known bug in the current betas and will be address in the proper release - its not a licensing issue as people on mpc club are suggesting. I'm afraid I don't know (yet) when the official release will be out. As soon as I find further info, I'll post on here"

That's good to know
post #7486 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirernut697 View Post

I have been using the mediasonic 4 bay enclosure via usb directly to my D1.
Great solution. glad i found the recommendation from other users here. works flawless and in sync with dune power on/off.
My problem: I just added a second enclosure, when i power down the dune all powers off as expected, however when i power up the dune hangs and will not complete boot up. I have to power down or disconnect the usb cable form one or the other enclosure for the dune to complete boot up. If i leave one powered off and the other in sync, then turn it on after the dune boots up all is well also. Individually they operate as intended so i am inclined to think the problem is in the D1. Any body else have a similar situation? Is this a known issue with external usb storage devices?

With a little more playin around I solved the problem. I currently only have 2 HDD's in the new box and had them in slot 3 & 4. Moved one drive to slot one and all is well. Did not know this was required but apparently it is. documentation with these boxes is not very useful. Maybe this will help someone down the road as unknowing as i was.
post #7487 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 AM

I've run into a problem and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to solve it. Couple days ago I downloaded the new Windows 8 preview and everything has been working fine. I went to watch a movie last night and the Dune says No Media on one of the shares located in one of my externals that houses my movies. Can't figure out the problem.

I have 3 externals connected to my main computer. One for Blu-iso's (this one works fine), one for TV shows (This one works fine) and one for movies (No media shows up).

I've unplugged the HDD and tried different USB ports. Even the icon that used to show up in Explorer is now gone, replaced by a generic icon.

I can access the movies if I play them through XMBC on my computer.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
post #7488 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotiondoubt View Post

I've run into a problem and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to solve it. Couple days ago I downloaded the new Windows 8 preview and everything has been working fine. I went to watch a movie last night and the Dune says No Media on one of the shares located in one of my externals that houses my movies. Can't figure out the problem.

I have 3 externals connected to my main computer. One for Blu-iso's (this one works fine), one for TV shows (This one works fine) and one for movies (No media shows up).

I've unplugged the HDD and tried different USB ports. Even the icon that used to show up in Explorer is now gone, replaced by a generic icon.

I can access the movies if I play them through XMBC on my computer.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Re-install windows 7 and wait till the official windows 8 is out
post #7489 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

I believe over 2TB on USB can still have issues with some file types (isos, iirc). SATA seems to work okay. Be sure you use a recent firmware to format.

I haven't experienced any issues playing ISO's from my USB connected, GPT partitioned 3TB drive. Perhaps the problem is with a different file type?
post #7490 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's good to know

If you look back at my earlier post. Mike at duneplayer sent me an email confirming the same thing!
post #7491 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Diablo did you ever get aliens working?

Im not sure if you seen my post but mines working fine (the one with director and oiriginal cut) as a bdmv structure.
post #7492 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Diablo did you ever get aliens working?

Im not sure if you seen my post but mines working fine (the one with director and oiriginal cut) as a bdmv structure.

No I didn't. I ended up making alien just the dc to a BMDV structure, then made that into a MKV which played fine. Did that with aliens and the MKV audio stutters. Kinda pops every few secs. Which software did you do this with? My 2 alien discs are brand new! I have 2 different HDD's in my Duo and I tried both. Thing is I can't even get it to play over the network, the iso that is. My 900b plays it just fine over the network!
post #7493 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM

Quick question if anyone knows the answer: I have a Synology DS1511+ attached to my Dune D1 running Zappiti. I ran out of room on the 1511 and bought a DX510 extender. Any idea if Zappiti and the Dune will work with 2 volumes on one movie jukebox/index or should I just expand the volume onto the extender (small risk of loss of data as these are in separate boxes and, if power or connection were lost, the volume would be corrupted--I do run a UPS though)?
post #7494 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post

Quick question if anyone knows the answer: I have a Synology DS1511+ attached to my Dune D1 running Zappiti. I ran out of room on the 1511 and bought a DX510 extender. Any idea if Zappiti and the Dune will work with 2 volumes on one movie jukebox/index or should I just expand the volume onto the extender (small risk of loss of data as these are in separate boxes and, if power or connection were lost, the volume would be corrupted--I do run a UPS though)?

Wow, I'm at the same cross-road. I haven't purchased the extender as of yet but, I assumed it would become one volume when I added it? Are you sure it shows up as a different volume?
post #7495 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

Wow, I'm at the same cross-road. I haven't purchased the extender as of yet but, I assumed it would become one volume when I added it? Are you sure it shows up as a different volume?

I can do either-- I can create a new volume on it or I can expand the current one. Creating a new volume is safer- if either the DX510 or the DS1511+ crashed separately, I wouldn't have the whole volume crash. However, if Zappiti won't work with two volumes in the same index, I'd rather take the small risk in favor of the convenience.
post #7496 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post

Assuming you are using smb you will be fine as long as your zappiti index is stored on a flash/internal drive on your Dune (i.e. it won't work if you were storing your Zappiti index on your Synology as it cannot mount multiple smb shares at once)

Cheers
post #7497 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

I haven't experienced any issues playing ISO's from my USB connected, GPT partitioned 3TB drive. Perhaps the problem is with a different file type?

Interesting. Are these Blu-ray or DVD isos?
post #7498 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspr View Post

It's not just the mpc club people who are saying it. It is Dune's own website that says it. The product description says decoding to Stereo now when it used to say up to 7.1. But even more enlightening is this from the release notes "License-restricted audio codecs such as DTS and Dolby can only be decoded in stereo mode." This stuff wasn't made up it's right on the Dune website. Seems weird they would change the product description and say it is a licensing issue in the firmware notes when it is really a bug. Hopefully what is really happening is they are getting proper licensing and will restore the feature in the firmware.
post #7499 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Interesting. Are these Blu-ray or DVD isos?

Blu-Ray ISO's. My MKV's play fine from the 3TB also. Wasn't the 2TB limit only present in an older firmware?
post #7500 of 11839 Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Blu-Ray ISO's. My MKV's play fine from the 3TB also. Wasn't the 2TB limit only present in an older firmware?

The older firmware could not properly format 3TB but they could still use them on SATA if formatted using other methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page