New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 395 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #11821 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Unless Dune can nail 4k playback (which their new 4k has tons of issues)
I disagree that it has "tons of issues" with 4K playback. The only issue I've come across is the incorrect frame rate. Others have mentioned incorrect HDR metadata. I wouldnt say that qualifies as "tons". And I suspect it will improve once they release the update for UHD menu support.

To each their own I guess. I got rid of my Shield and am very happy with 2 Dune Pro 4Ks running yaDIS. Much easier in my opinion.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Quote:

Unless Dune can nail 4k playback (which their new 4k has tons of issues)
I disagree that it has "tons of issues" with 4K playback. The only issue I've come across is the incorrect frame rate. Others have mentioned incorrect HDR metadata. I wouldnt say that qualifies as "tons". And I suspect it will improve once they release the update for UHD menu support.

To each their own I guess. I got rid of my Shield and am very happy with 2 Dune Pro 4Ks running yaDIS. Much easier in my opinion.
that is fine. My experience with the Dune has been the exact opposite, just not a reliable player for me (plus, since we do use the streaming apps more heavily, having one box such as the shield makes a ton more sense versus the Dune plus another box)

Cheers
post #11823 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
that is fine. My experience with the Dune has been the exact opposite, just not a reliable player for me (plus, since we do use the streaming apps more heavily, having one box such as the shield makes a ton more sense versus the Dune plus another box)
I totally agree and understand the streaming/app aspect. The Android side of the Dune is garbage.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11824 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I totally agree and understand the streaming/app aspect. The Android side of the Dune is garbage.
I hate not using Dune since that has been my default player for 6+ years. I havent done a close comparison between shield and new dune in terms of 4k playback quality

Cheers
post #11825 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

what are you using as your jukebox? I thought yadis wasn't being maintained anymore?
post #11826 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hate not using Dune since that has been my default player for 6+ years. I havent done a close comparison between shield and new dune in terms of 4k playback quality
Yeah, if I remember correctly you were the one that got me hooked on using yaDIS many years ago, you've been a staple in the dune threads. So when you say you have bad results with a Dune, I trust it. Some of these other people though I have doubts about!

As for PQ, I love the shield but to me it was a bit soft with my UHD material. I do find the Dune slightly better in that regard.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #11827 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I've been looking at Dune and Zappiti players since I've used them for so long. But it's probably time to move on.
post #11828 of 11841 Old 03-16-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
what are you using as your jukebox? I thought yadis wasn't being maintained anymore?
I use yaDIS. There arent new versions coming out but the last one available still works perfectly fine with the new models. Haven't missed a beat going from a Dune D1 to the Solo 4K and now the Dune Pro 4K.
xiaNaix likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #11829 of 11841 Old 03-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if I remember correctly you were the one that got me hooked on using yaDIS many years ago, you've been a staple in the dune threads. So when you say you have bad results with a Dune, I trust it. Some of these other people though I have doubts about!

As for PQ, I love the shield but to me it was a bit soft with my UHD material. I do find the Dune slightly better in that regard.
I do still have the Dune Pro connected in my Home Theater, so that is the one room where I would be ok with just using (more likely to watch Netflix, YTTV, etc.. in the other rooms of the house, so something like the shield makes more sense). I do still maintain my Zappiti jukebox as well, so maybe there is still hope for Dune

I also have the newer Zidoo and eGreats as well. I think I still have about 6 Dunes scattered throughout my house (including the BD Prime 3.0)

Cheers
post #11830 of 11841 Old 06-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How to network attached HDD?

I recently dug out my old Dune D1 and am interested to have the USB powered HDD, that connected to the back, show up on my network so I can access the files on other devices. Does anyone know what I need to do?? I am pretty sure I was able to do this with a previous HDD.
post #11831 of 11841 Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Yeah there is a setting. Media server or something. On mine they are always on by default and I usually turn them off.
post #11832 of 11841 Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Smb server i think it's called. Make sure that's on.

http://dune-hd.com/twn/support/onlin...r_from_network
post #11833 of 11841 Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Smb server i think it's called. Make sure that's on.

John, looks like you were trying to answer my question but your poats are getting garbled. Also tried opening the link you shared and it was empty.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks
post #11834 of 11841 Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
I recently dug out my old Dune D1 and am interested to have the USB powered HDD, that connected to the back, show up on my network so I can access the files on other devices. Does anyone know what I need to do?? I am pretty sure I was able to do this with a previous HDD.
You need to enable SMB file sharing in the Dune setup. (It should have been on by default). I forget where that setting is, but its there somewhere.
The Dune will show up on your network as "Dune" with any attached devices listed when you open it. You might need to reboot your network hardware.
post #11835 of 11841 Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
John, looks like you were trying to answer my question but your poats are getting garbled. Also tried opening the link you shared and it was empty.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks
yeah, the feature is smb - go into the menus and make sure that's on.

post #11836 of 11841 Old 07-28-2019, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can someone give me the audio settings on my D1 to output Dolby TrueHD. I ripped a movie with this sound track but when I try to play it. my Integra DTR-50.3 doesn't see it. It does see the straight Dolby Digital

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #11837 of 11841 Old 07-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post
Can someone give me the audio settings on my D1 to output Dolby TrueHD. I ripped a movie with this sound track but when I try to play it. my Integra DTR-50.3 doesn't see it. It does see the straight Dolby Digital
I believe I have mine on some type of pass through setting. The AVR decodes it. But I would need to verify later today. Love my Dune.

I feel infinite
post #11838 of 11841 Old 08-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if anyone can help with this.

My local PC hard drive crashed so I installed new hard drive, windows 10, etc...

My problem is my PC is not finding/seeing my Dune which has 3 hard drives attached to it with all my content.

Previously, my Dune would show up as a device under Network and the hard drives were all mapped to drive letters.

Now my Dune and therefore the external hard drives do not show up at all. I am baffled. I just rebuild this computer about 2 years ago and I don't recall doing anything special to find the Dune and connected hard drives. IIRC, I did nothing back then other than maybe assign the hard drives connected to the Dune drive letters.

Fresh windows 10 install, the crash had nothing to do with the Dune. Nothing was disconnected during this process except my old hard drive. The Dune is connected to my router via Ethernet and the router to my computer via Ethernet as it has been for the last many years. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I feel infinite
post #11839 of 11841 Old 09-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Finally found the answer. Apparently Windows made some updates in latest version that messes up connecting to NAS's

I was thinking and basically what my Dune is is a NAS. Searching on how to connect my Dune to Win 10 brought up nothing, so I searched can't connect to my NAS with Win 10 and found the answer:

1. run cmd as admin

2. netsh winsock reset

2. sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

3. sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

4. Enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP

5. Editing the Hosts file located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, added the IP address of your NAS Drive and its name

Thought I would post answer in case someone else runs into the same issue. (Not sure how longer these older Dunes will be in the wild)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
Not sure if anyone can help with this.

My local PC hard drive crashed so I installed new hard drive, windows 10, etc...

My problem is my PC is not finding/seeing my Dune which has 3 hard drives attached to it with all my content.

Previously, my Dune would show up as a device under Network and the hard drives were all mapped to drive letters.

Now my Dune and therefore the external hard drives do not show up at all. I am baffled. I just rebuild this computer about 2 years ago and I don't recall doing anything special to find the Dune and connected hard drives. IIRC, I did nothing back then other than maybe assign the hard drives connected to the Dune drive letters.

Fresh windows 10 install, the crash had nothing to do with the Dune. Nothing was disconnected during this process except my old hard drive. The Dune is connected to my router via Ethernet and the router to my computer via Ethernet as it has been for the last many years. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I feel infinite
post #11840 of 11841 Old 11-16-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone bitstreamed Atmos and DTS-X with HD Max ?

Is it capable of doing it or i need to get another player to do that?

I'm in the process of moving to Immersive sound.

Samsung UE55H6400 - Marantz SR 7013 - Klipsch RP 260F - Klipsch RP 440C - Klipsch RS 62 - XTZ 12.17 Edge - Dune HD Max - RPi 3
post #11841 of 11841 Old 11-16-2019, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ela-tsiki-tsiki View Post
Has anyone bitstreamed Atmos and DTS-X with HD Max ?

Is it capable of doing it or i need to get another player to do that?

I'm in the process of moving to Immersive sound.
If your video file has the the ATMOS soundtracks in it it will bitstream ATMOS to your AVR. Not sure about the built in BD as never use it.
ela-tsiki-tsiki likes this.

I feel infinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page