Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27577Likes

post #5611 of 23463 Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Maybe.

If the tv is better at the chromo sampling then, no.

How would I know that and what would I choose if that were the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
Yes, the remote has an IR emitter, but it can also control via HDMI. I connect my ATV to all kinds of devices when I travel and it always just works. No programming required. But I’ve never connected it to a sound bar. Does the sound bar support CEC? Have you tried it?

At home my ATV remote controls my TV and AVR without any special setup, I assume it detects the device via HDMI EDID.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I should have mentioned that the HDMI does not pass 4K. Using Optical cable to soundbar. Since it has an IR emitter I guess I can hope that it can be taught to work.
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony Z9F 3.1 Soundbar - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #5613 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
Great news!!!
nathan_h and brotony like this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony Z9F 3.1 Soundbar - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5614 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Some of you guys are melodramatic. I'm not being an apologist, but lately every piece of new technology takes some time to get where it needs to be. My 2016 Vizio P75 TV had several months of firmware updates to enable capabilities and fix initial issues. Same for the Oppo 203. Other devices as well.

I pulled my Roku Ultra in favor of Apple TV because of months updates breaking things. Continual red flashes, audio bleeps, and HDMI purple screen errors. If you plan to run a Roku Ultra through an AVR and turn your system on from full off and expect it to stably HDMI negotiate and be usable, I give you my best hope. It never worked right through my top end AV7702mkII Marantz preamp. Not the mention that box lacks DV support.
I have a Roku Premiere Plus (similar to Ultra) and I narrowed down the root cause of most of the handshake problems ... Chroma setting. Set Chroma via secret menu to 4:2:0 (10-bit) instead of the default 4:2:2 (12-bit). Roku only supports HDR10 (10bit) instead of DV (12bit).
post #5615 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4291 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Anyone know why the Apple TV 4k is asking about which speakers I want to use every time I start it? I'm connected to a Denon AVR and that may be the reason it's having issues? Is everyone else connected to TV directly or any others connected to AVR? I see that it goes back to speakers when I turn it off as well.

lujan
507 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #5616 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Anyone know why the Apple TV 4k is asking about which speakers I want to use every time I start it? I'm connected to a Denon AVR and that may be the reason it's having issues? Is everyone else connected to TV directly or any others connected to AVR? I see that it goes back to speakers when I turn it off as well.
This exact problem is happening to me as well - when I select my AVR as output - whatever I am watching works through my system. As soon as I power off the ATV5 - it defaults back to Apple TV for Audio Output.

Other issue I have seen after using this for a while:

Hooked up on Gigabit Ethernet - verified cable and speeds. However, when I was watching Baby Driver 3/4 of the way through the movie (on 4K HDR) it suddenly paused for about a minute, then re-buffered and played. It stopped one more time before the end of the movie.
I have a very fast wireless network if I have to switch but I am getting speeds of 940 to 950 Mbps on the wired network. Can any one confirm why this is occurring? I know I have seen others comment it about it in this thread.

Thanks for any help. I am able to switch my Video output to whatever I desire and PQ has been very good whether in 4K HDR or Dolby Vision. It didn't even matter in DV if I set it to 24 Hz or 60 Hz with my LG OLED B6 (no juddering, I was very surprised).
post #5617 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Just tested wireless network, getting 544 Mbps down & 434 Mbps up. Running a Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 router, with Gigabit fiber connection through a Calix 844G GigaCenter. All I am doing is passing the Gigabit connection to my own router and switch - as I bridged the ports from the Calix.

I thought perhaps the buffering issue may be from my Onkyo TX-NR747 (I have it connected wirelessly to my network). I may make another Cat5E cable and try connecting it to my AVR to see if it helps.

Not sure why a fiber connection at nearly 950 Mbps isn't more stable than wireless! Makes no sense to me as far at the ATV5 connection, was glad to see they added Gigabit ethernet in this version.
post #5618 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
This exact problem is happening to me as well - when I select my AVR as output - whatever I am watching works through my system. As soon as I power off the ATV5 - it defaults back to Apple TV for Audio Output.

This is the LG tv doing it with their crappy HDMI CEC/Simplink implementation. My LG loves to switch my Denon AVR to random CEC devices. Only way around this is to turn off CEC at the AVR (if you use ARC from the TV to the AVR) and use a Harmony remote.

If you don’t use ARC just turn off Simplink on the TV.

post #5619 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
This is the LG tv doing it with their crappy HDMI CEC/Simplink implementation. My LG loves to switch my Denon AVR to random CEC devices. Only way around this is to turn off CEC at the AVR (if you use ARC from the TV to the AVR) and use a Harmony remote.

If you don’t use ARC just turn off Simplink on the TV.

I do have CEC off & Simplink off on the LG OLED B6. I'm using a Harmony 950 remote.

Used to use CEC without too many issues before I bought the Harmony 950 but they recommend turning CEC off.
post #5620 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Order place Sept 15, 2017

Order cancelled Sept 26, 2017

Reason for cancellation? After reading numerous reviews, including the Verge and Forbes, and confirming with reports from users that those reviews are in fact accurate, I can't accept this product's deficiencies. Apple has over-zealously attempted to "fix" a problem that never really existed in the first place, in the process made a product that is a mess. I want to view 4k in the way that the producers of that video intended it to be seen... not with the wrong format, not with the wrong framerate... not with decoded audio which, is only done to facilitate overlaying Siri's voice- I want my AVR to decode the audio in the format it was meant to be in. If that's too much to ask of Apple, if Apple continues this folly of dictating how they've decided it's okay to molest the greatest efforts of the original content creators just so they can inject Siri into the product, or just so there's no momentary interruption of the video while the equipment changes modes, then Apple and I will have a parting of the ways over Apple TV 4k. I mean, honestly, have you ever seen a long thread of complaints over the way that the picture is interrupted when the mode changes from 4k SDR to 4K HDR10, or 4K Dolby Vision? If it's Netflix streaming, there is no interruption, and if it's 4k on my Oppo 203, I might see an interim Oppo screen, but I don't see any breakup... have you ever seen a long thread of complaints about how it takes a brief moment for an AVR to switch from stereo to surround mode or from one surround mode to another? Of course not.

Transparency, Apple, is that too much to ask for? I just want to see and hear the product like it was when it left the source, I don't want your misguided take on what's 'better' for me.

(* The term '4k' used here for purposes of brevity- we all know it's really UHD)
jeep05 and pearsco like this.
post #5621 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
I do have CEC off & Simplink off on the LG OLED B6. I'm using a Harmony 950 remote.

Used to use CEC without too many issues before I bought the Harmony 950 but they recommend turning CEC off.

So I don’t see this but I also don’t use CEC on my AppleTV and route the remote to the LG. Simplink is actually on on my LG because it is required for ARC; however I set CEC to off on the Denon except for ARC commands (Denon has a setting for this.)

The advantage is that this allows you to get some volume control feedback on the TV as the Denon cannot overlay its volume indications when passing thru 4k DV signals (which sucks.)

post #5622 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 178
The Clown Car

My first Apple product was purchased back in 1986, a Macintosh 512Ke. My Dad and me added a SCSI port and 20mb drive on a butcher block table.

My first job out of college was for a SW developer (PC, Apple, C64) and I was assigned to a Mac dev team as a junior coder, QA and technical writer. I've used a Mac for 30+ years, the iPhone since Day One, the iPad since Day One... you get the picture.

Every time Apple targets a vertical, the Clown Car pulls into the station; different verticals, a different set of clowns. We get it. Apple represents change. Apple represents disruption. People want things to stay the same. People want what they've always valued to remain valuable.

In the next few weeks millions of Apple customers will be purchasing Apple TVs. In December, millions of Apple customers will be purchasing HomePods.

By this time next year, tens of millions of people will be streaming ten of millions of songs and movies via Apple Music and iTunes, and the home audio/video market will begin the transformation to something new. It's not for everyone, but it is the future, and it's coming whether you want it or not.

The Clown Car? Left at the station along with all those internet posts and comments, the PR pleasers moving on to the next assignment, joining the Mac naysayers, the iPod naysayers, the iPhone naysayers, the iPad naysayers, the Apple Watch naysayers... and everyone else will simply move on.
cydeweyz and BAMABLUHD like this.

Space | The Media Room: 590 CUFT [10.5 L x 7.5 W x 7.5 H] | View Distance: 6' | Audyssey MultEQ | FiOS Gigabit Ethernet
Sound | 5.1.2 Atmos: Denon AVR-S920W | Pioneer A. Jones SP-BS22-LR/SP-C22/SP-T22A-LR | Polk OWM3 | Emotiva BasX S8
Vision | 4K OLED: LG C8 | LG UBK90 | Sony UBP-X800 | Apple TV 4K | Microsoft XB1S | FiOS Moto

Last edited by cgpublic; 09-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #5623 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 6112
I’m going to be patient w this version of the ATV.
JaremyP, cydeweyz, jeep05 and 3 others like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5624 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post

Reason for cancellation? After reading numerous reviews, including the Verge and Forbes, and confirming with reports from users that those reviews are in fact accurate, I can't accept this product's deficiencies. Apple has over-zealously attempted to "fix" a problem that never really existed in the first place, in the process made a product that is a mess. I want to view 4k in the way that the producers of that video intended it to be seen... not with the wrong format, not with the wrong framerate... not with decoded audio which, is only done to facilitate overlaying Siri's voice- I want my AVR to decode the audio in the format it was meant to be in. If that's too much to ask of Apple, if Apple continues this folly of dictating how they've decided it's okay to molest the greatest efforts of the original content creators just so they can inject Siri into the product, or just so there's no momentary interruption of the video while the equipment changes modes, then Apple and I will have a parting of the ways over Apple TV 4k. I mean, honestly, have you ever seen a long thread of complaints over the way that the picture is interrupted when the mode changes from 4k SDR to 4K HDR10, or 4K Dolby Vision? If it's Netflix streaming, there is no interruption, and if it's 4k on my Oppo 203, I might see an interim Oppo screen, but I don't see any breakup... have you ever seen a long thread of complaints about how it takes a brief moment for an AVR to switch from stereo to surround mode or from one surround mode to another? Of course not.

Transparency, Apple, is that too much to ask for? I just want to see and hear the product like it was when it left the source, I don't want your misguided take on what's 'better' for me.

(* The term '4k' used here for purposes of brevity- we all know it's really UHD)

I’m not sure that this post belongs in an owners thread there are other threads pertaining to the latest box where you can discuss pros and cons. Wouldn’t this thread be better served by owners to discuss settings and experiences and best practices? Just my opinion.
cydeweyz and wasima like this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #5625 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 730
audio output question...is "highest quality available" = dolby digital 5.1? meaning it's either DD 5.1 or stereo output? any reason not to just force DD 5.1 instead?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5626 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I’m going to be patient w this version of the ATV.
I agree. Despite the current issues, it has many virtues over it's competition. I think we will see the issues and gaps addressed in short enough order as well. Thankfully, I'm not cost-sensitive to +$100 vs. Roku, so that's a non-factor for me, especially when it buys an overall preferable experience.

Tom, time to update your sig.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Xbox One X
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #5627 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
audio output question...is "highest quality available" = dolby digital 5.1? meaning it's either DD 5.1 or stereo output? any reason not to just force DD 5.1 instead?

Yeah, I kind of chuckled when I saw those options myself. I guess it’s there for all the great new options we’ll have soon...

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5628 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

I'm sure someone will be able to explain this better than me.....but basically if you force Dolby Digital 5.1, you will not get DD 7.1 streams for example. Choosing Best Quality Available is supposed to send the highest quality the stream has.

Since the damn thing sends everything PCM, it's hard to tell....but I also think if you force DD 5.1, it will not send DD+. But I have nothing to back that up because my AVR always shows PCM.
post #5629 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
So I don’t see this but I also don’t use CEC on my AppleTV and route the remote to the LG. Simplink is actually on on my LG because it is required for ARC; however I set CEC to off on the Denon except for ARC commands (Denon has a setting for this.)

The advantage is that this allows you to get some volume control feedback on the TV as the Denon cannot overlay its volume indications when passing thru 4k DV signals (which sucks.)

rsonnens - Thanks for the suggestions. I checked my AVR & CEC is turned off there as well as HDMI Standby Pass Through (and CEC is off in Simplink on the LG)

It isn't that big a hassle to change the audio source, I just have it so that when I fire up the ATV5 it goes directly to the Settings page and I quickly check the Audio and Video settings there before viewing whatever source I want.
post #5630 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve got at least 14 hours of viewing time now on the ATV 4k. 70% DV and the balance HDR10 plus some Netflix. I’ve watched John Wick 2, Passengers, The Revenant, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Martian and Kingsman.

Fact: Not a single video glitch, pause, stutter, reboot, compression anomaly and no banding.

Fact: A few audio issues... none since the first day and total reboot seemed to rectify. One title exhibits lower than average volume.

Sitting 10ft from a Vizio P75, the perceptible difference between the ATV 4k streams and UHD BD is not consequential IMO. Audio is the shortcoming between the 2 mediums.

As soon as this thing auto syncs best available video profile and can handle ATMOS, it has no equal. Amazon app is suppose to be released today. If VUDU can get their act together and write a decent app, we’ll have our 4k UV libraries onboard. The final wall... Youtube.
nathan_h, Balthazar2k4 and mikestr like this.

post #5631 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Are you sure your not selecting the Airplay feature of your AVR. I can’t remember the options, but o remember thinking it would be easy based on how it displays the choices.

post #5632 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

No, highest quality will get you the DD+ 7.1 on a quite a few movies. It will also make for more a native DD decode/output as PCM.

If you choose, DD 5.1 fixed as output, the ATV gets the audio, mixes in system/Siri sounds, re-encodes on the fly to DD 5.1, and outputs.

So, movies that have native 5.1 soundtracks are being decoded, re-encoded, then output, and decoded again in your AVR. You don't want that (unless you have to use it for some reason).

Best outputs as PCM, so completely skips the extra lossy DD encode and, again, gets you 7.1 audio. You want best.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Xbox One X
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #5633 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk86 View Post
How would I know that and what would I choose if that were the case?

There might be particular scenes or test patterns to look at and hopefully someone will tell us what they are, but it would be a visual test of both approaches.

I would choose 4:2:0 with a HDR10 display and possibly 4:2:2 with a DV display (though I would test both ways), and be happy. But if the ATV lets you choose something "higher" like 4:4:4 I might test that way and see if I like it better. (I'm not sure that option exists nor whether it might produce other problems. It would be the most stressful setting for your cables and any interim devices like a splitter, switch or AVR.)
post #5634 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, highest quality will get you the DD+ 7.1 on a quite a few movies. It will also make for more a native DD decode/output as PCM.

If you choose, DD 5.1 fixed as output, the ATV gets the audio, mixes in system/Siri sounds, re-encodes on the fly to DD 5.1, and outputs.

So, movies that have native 5.1 soundtracks are being decoded, re-encoded, then output, and decoded again in your AVR. You don't want that (unless you have to use it for some reason).

Best outputs as PCM, so completely skips the extra lossy DD encode and, again, gets you 7.1 audio. You want best.

Have you seen the DD+ flag come up on your AVR? Which title/titles? That’s good news. Atmos rides along DD+

post #5635 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Please tell Tim Cook. They need to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post

Reason for cancellation? .....
ataneruo likes this.
post #5636 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I get this on my old ATV4 all the time, but my new ATV5 doesn't ask me this. Wish I knew the reason.
post #5637 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

An older article, but overall I believe it still applies to the ATV 4K:
http://developer.dolby.com/News/Dolb..._Apple_TV.aspx

Note the menu options names have changed since the article.
nathan_h likes this.
post #5638 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I get this on my old ATV4 all the time, but my new ATV5 doesn't ask me this. Wish I knew the reason.
I’m running direct to my display and using ARC. My AVR won’t pass DV. I’m not having any audio issues at this point.

post #5639 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I’m running direct to my display and using ARC. My AVR won’t pass DV. I’m not having any audio issues at this point.

No audio issues for me either with the same setup, except for a vizio p65. Occasionally I will get an hdmi input error that will remain on the screen even though the Apple TV is showing behind it. I’m pretty sure that is a vizio issue because it happened with my ATV 4 also. Besides that, I’m cautiously optimistic about this device. I use it for everything (directv Now streaming, Netflix, Hulu, CBS app, movies and music). Like you said, once VUDU can stream my 4k titles and we can get Atmos, I’ll be highly satisfied.
post #5640 of 23463 Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4291 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
Are you sure your not selecting the Airplay feature of your AVR. I can’t remember the options, but o remember thinking it would be easy based on how it displays the choices.

Quote:
I mistakenly selected the AVR the first time I set it up because I thought it was asking if I wanted to use the speakers connected to AVR since I have the Apple TV 4k connected to AVR via HDMI. I've since changed it to the first "Apple TV" but it may be going back to what I selected the first time. Do you think I need to go back to factory defaults and set it up again?

lujan
507 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page